Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Protokoll posted:

Nabbed a Wii U yesterday. Some quick impressions:

- Off-screen mode is underrated. If your girlfriend wants to watch something in bed and you want to run around in green tights...you can! Also, it's great for bathroom trips. Nintendo needs to advertise this more.
- The GamePad feels REALLY good in the hands. It feels almost molded to my hands. The positioning of the face buttons doesn't feel quite right at first, but my thumb is getting used to it.
- Some complaints include: the GamePad battery life and the fact that you need to charge it with a brick, the transition load times between Wii U menus, and not all of my favorite games are in the eShop.

I don't really understand the hate the Wii U is getting. Maybe I fit as a target consumer because I only have 10 (if I'm lucky) hours a week to play games and I just want to sit down and enjoy something fun. I think with WWHD, W101, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, etc. you easily have months and months of AAA titles to sit down, enjoy, replay and master. If you're one of those people that plays games 18 hours a day, well it's a great second console to have along with a PC.

Edit: Also, I should be able to play every Zelda ever made with a Wii U and a 3DS, but I don't think Minish Cap is anywhere?! :(

I was thinking about this the other day. (Obviously we are ignoring the CD-I games because they never existed). I've played every console version of Zelda (excluding 4 swords) but missed out on the portable versions. I was excited to see I could grab the older portable versions on my 3DS, then realized Minish Cap was missing... oh well maybe some day.

I have most the console games on their original hardware too. I'm missing OoT, and I sold WW for game cube knowing I'd get WWHD, but otherwise I'm golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Game Boy Advance games are coming to the Wii U Virtual Console anyway.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
When the hell is the second summer update supposed to hit? Summer's over today you stupid Nintendo people!!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
At $49.99 :canada: I'm really tempted to get Wind Waker though I should probably wait until after moving expenses are spent. I mean, in theory I should wait...

Ahhhh

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm placing my bet for the update coming on October 20th because I consider myself an optimist.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Seems to be a lot of new Wii-U owners popping up.

Let me say, as a launch owner, that you folks are much smarter than I.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Louisgod posted:

When the hell is the second summer update supposed to hit? Summer's over today you stupid Nintendo people!!
I read something somewhere that said the update was delayed to the even more nebulous "fall".

Not that them missing deadlines is unusual with Wii U.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Louisgod posted:

Nintendo has adopted Valve time, for better or worse it seems. The only difference is that Nintendo can count to 3(D).

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
So I got my Wii U yesterday and I'm thrilled with my purchase. The only think I was sad about was none of my controllers are motion+ except the gold Skyward Sword one, so I picked up 2 motion+ attachments and another option plus controller on top of that.

My friends and I played Nintendo Land last night until 2am. I don't think I've laughed that hard (or screamed or yelled for that matter). What an absolute gem. Consider me surprise because I heard a lot of people criticize the game at launch and I am finding it to be a delight.

I'm adoring Pikmin 3. Mario is Mario so there's that. I did enjoy Boost mode with friends and placing blocks in their way to kill them, but so far it feels like more of hotbed America (which isn't a bad thing, it's just not that exciting.

So far I'm finding the Wii U to be a completely different experience and that surprised me more than anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You'd still be missing Four Swords Adventures.

Is the version that was released free on the 3DS ages ago a different game? I thought it was a port?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

GRINK HELCH posted:

My friends and I played Nintendo Land last night until 2am. I don't think I've laughed that hard (or screamed or yelled for that matter). What an absolute gem. Consider me surprise because I heard a lot of people criticize the game at launch and I am finding it to be a delight.

Yeah, the three competitive games are absolutely brilliant, I've put at least 50 hours in them since last Christmas, which is a pretty huge chunk of my local multiplayer playtime.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is the version that was released free on the 3DS ages ago a different game? I thought it was a port?

It's the preceding game. Four Swords Adventures is the much improved sequel.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GRINK HELCH posted:

It's pretty meh-worthy on your own, but it rules as a party game. In that sense it definitely offers more variety than Wii Sports.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadwing posted:

Yeah, the three competitive games are absolutely brilliant, I've put at least 50 hours in them since last Christmas, which is a pretty huge chunk of my local multiplayer playtime.

I would buy DLC of more competitive games, those are the best part of Nintendoland. It would feel completely different if they were online too, all of the fun is being in the same room as the other people.

Playing the Animal Crossing game with 6 people makes it much more challenging too for the other people. Two people on the game pad is entirely possible

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Seems to be a lot of new Wii-U owners popping up.

Let me say, as a launch owner, that you folks are much smarter than I.

Yea, it's hard not to be a little butthurt about picking this up at launch :smith:. $50 cheaper and free Windwaker would have been pretty nice. Hell even the Zombi U bundle would have been great. I know the risks of being an early adopter and I don't feel I'm owed anything, but this was pretty much the same exact situation as the 3DS and I was pretty happy with how they handled that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Game Boy Advance games are coming to the Wii U Virtual Console anyway.

Putting GBA on wii u VC but not 3ds makes no sense.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

katkillad2 posted:

Yea, it's hard not to be a little butthurt about picking this up at launch :smith:. $50 cheaper and free Windwaker would have been pretty nice. Hell even the Zombi U bundle would have been great. I know the risks of being an early adopter and I don't feel I'm owed anything, but this was pretty much the same exact situation as the 3DS and I was pretty happy with how they handled that.

I always get consoles at launch but get handhelds at least a few after they come out. I've done this with every system. I should have at some point realized that's why I get more play out of my handhelds...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Spacebump posted:

Putting GBA on wii u VC but not 3ds makes no sense.

They probably couldn't figure out how to get a proper GBA emulator going on the 3DS (at least one with the same functions as the GB and GBC emulators such as save states and whatnot) so they're just throwing them on the Wii U. It'll also give them an excuse to put the GBA Yoshi's Island on the Wii U if they can't figure out how to get the Super FX chip emulated right on the Wii U's SNES emulator thing.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

They probably couldn't figure out how to get a proper GBA emulator going on the 3DS (at least one with the same functions as the GB and GBC emulators such as save states and whatnot) so they're just throwing them on the Wii U. It'll also give them an excuse to put the GBA Yoshi's Island on the Wii U if they can't figure out how to get the Super FX chip emulated right on the Wii U's SNES emulator thing.

But I have Minish Cap, Kirby and The Amazing Mirror, Wario Land 4, Yoshi's Island, and Metroid Fusion on my 3DS all with save states :confused:

vvvv Welp, just checked. I was wrong about save states :v:

a.lo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 21, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

But I have Minish Cap, Kirby and The Amazing Mirror, Wario Land 4, Yoshi's Island, and Metroid Fusion on my 3DS all with save states:confused:

How did you get savestates? On mine it doesnt save when I quit, and doesnt go into standby when the lid is closed or the home button is pressed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

But I have Minish Cap, Kirby and The Amazing Mirror, Wario Land 4, Yoshi's Island, and Metroid Fusion on my 3DS all with save states :confused:

My copies of those games don't have save states. They also don't suspend properly.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I know these GBA games don't have save states, but don't they have the same level of functionality (including non-suspendability) as the cart originals? That's plenty good enough by me.

I love the lineup of Ambassador GBA titles, and I'm willing to shell out for more.
The NES Ambassador games are pretty much meaningless to me (how many bloody copies of SMB must I own), but I was impressed with how NES SMB3 has held up after all this time.

Anyways, yeah, I don't expect to see more GBA VC on 3DS anytime soon, what with the turbo boost it got from MH4 in Japan (298,000 3DS hardware sold in the first week alone), and with Pokemon XY imminent worldwide. But GBA titles on 3DS is a no-brainer--I'll take wagers on that eventuality.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
They really should just start digitizing the DS library. That wacky nintendo!

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

The Wind Waker bundle pushed me over the edge and now I have one of these.

Am I correct in thinking that there's no way to watch Netflix and play Earthbound at the same time without switching TV input over to some other Netflix box?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

yes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's a pity, but since they're both running off the console rather than some sort of hardware in the gamepad it's not surprising. With how portable the thing is I took it to the kitchen a few times yesterday and wondered why Wind Waker started stuttering. It looks like the range will let me play through one wall to the bathroom (like y'all haven't tried it) or bedroom, but not to the other side of my apartment.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

gannyGrabber posted:

They really should just start digitizing the DS library. That wacky nintendo!

That's not currently possible unless they're ported to run on the 3DS hardware natively. When the 3DS is running a DS cartridge, it's in DS mode, and cannot run large executable files off an SD card. It's limited to the DSi's eShop file size.

I don't know why Nintendo's hardware backwards compatibility always has these limitations, since the PS3's PS2 backwards compatibility still let you use DualShock 3 controllers, virtual memory cards on the hard drive, and bring up a settings menu in-game. Maybe instead of letting the old hardware run completely independently, the new hardware's running alongside it to let it use the new features. It's pretty annoying having to remember to hold down some buttons to stop the DS games from being stretched, especially since there's no way to change it once you've started playing.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Bruceski posted:

It looks like the range will let me play through one wall to the bathroom (like y'all haven't tried it) or bedroom, but not to the other side of my apartment.

My charger for the pad is plugged into the outlet in my washroom... :D

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I would buy DLC of more competitive games, those are the best part of Nintendoland. It would feel completely different if they were online too, all of the fun is being in the same room as the other people.

You don't even need to go that far, I'd pay ludicrous amounts of money for new DLC levels for the existing games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

That's not currently possible unless they're ported to run on the 3DS hardware natively. When the 3DS is running a DS cartridge, it's in DS mode, and cannot run large executable files off an SD card. It's limited to the DSi's eShop file size.
That's all well and good but if amateur homebrew modders can store a billion DS games on a flash cart then Nintendo should be able to figure out how to launch a DS game off an SD card.

On a similar tangent, there's got to be a way to show Wii games on the Gamepad and trick the Wii chip into thinking the gamepad is a Pro Controller. Certainly one of these things is possible.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 21, 2013

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Quest For Glory II posted:

On a similar tangent, there's got to be a way to show Wii games on the Gamepad and trick the Wii chip into thinking the gamepad is a Pro Controller. Certainly one of these things is possible.
I read somewhere that the chip that streams video to the gamepad is the Wii hardware. So it can't do both at once.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

That's all well and good but if amateur homebrew modders can store a billion DS games on a flash cart then Nintendo should be able to figure out how to launch a DS game off an SD card.

There is a chipset in the Wii U that compresses and handles all video transmission to the GamePad. That chipset is also known as "the Wii" and is the ONLY chipset of note running in Wii Mode. Unless Nintendo develops a fully-software Wii emulator for the Wii U (highly unlikely), it'll never happen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well that's just idiotic on Nintendo's part then.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Well that's just idiotic on Nintendo's part then.

It was a dumb mistake but probably would've been a huge pain in the rear end to implement since the console does basically just break down to a Wii when it's in Wii mode. Like DoctorWhat said, they'd literally have to emulate the Wii to get something like that to work since they can't trick the Wii to video out to the gamepad due to it being wireless. It'd be a laggy mess if they could figure it out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They should have used a separate video encoding chip instead of using the Wii's processor, although they probably chose not to in order to reduce the cost of the system.

It's still possible to use homebrew in Wii mode, since it was cracked wide open, and people have found that the Wii U is fully compatible with Gamecube games, due to the Wii sharing so much hardware with it. The only difficulties are getting controllers and memory cards working with it, although hobbiests reverse-engineering the system have been better at implementing that than Nintendo.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

They should have used a separate video encoding chip instead of using the Wii's processor, although they probably chose not to in order to reduce the cost of the system.

It's still possible to use homebrew in Wii mode, since it was cracked wide open, and people have found that the Wii U is fully compatible with Gamecube games, due to the Wii sharing so much hardware with it. The only difficulties are getting controllers and memory cards working with it, although hobbiests reverse-engineering the system have been better at implementing that than Nintendo.

If Gamecube games work as well as they do on the Wii then Nintendo or a third party should make a USB device that allows GC controllers and memory cards to be used on the Wii U, assuming that it can read the Gamecube discs without homebrew.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Widdiful posted:

If Gamecube games work as well as they do on the Wii then Nintendo or a third party should make a USB device that allows GC controllers and memory cards to be used on the Wii U, assuming that it can read the Gamecube discs without homebrew.

I wouldn't want to try running gamecube discs even with homebrew. Pretty sure you need a drive that is built to handle those little discs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

I wouldn't want to try running gamecube discs even with homebrew. Pretty sure you need a drive that is built to handle those little discs.

Well it's homebrew, they are probably running them off of a hard drive.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If the Wii-U was able to run Gamecube discs I'd be able to use over 200 games for a single system. :allears:

Even better if it somehow was able to connect the GBA player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Widdiful posted:

There is an adapter that allows you to plug a Gamecube controller into a Wii remote, and have it act like a Classic Controller. I don't think it's official, but it should still work with Wavebirds since you can just plug the receiver in to it.

WendigoJohnson posted:

If the Wii-U was able to run Gamecube discs I'd be able to use over 200 games for a single system. :allears:

Even better if it somehow was able to connect the GBA player.

That would be amazing, native hardware support for the GB, GBC, GBA, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U, and emulation for everything else. All you'd need would be a 3DS to get that and the DS' catalogues.

The Game Boy Player was great, although I also have a Super Game Boy 2. It's transparent blue, and has a link port so I can trade Pokemon with myself :psyduck::hf::wooper:

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 22, 2013

• Locked thread