Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly?

I like it when shows pull a FMA or Trigun and go their own way using the setting and characters. It misses more than it hits, but in those cases the original manga is still available so it doesn't bother me that much.

The main reason I don't read much ongoing manga is because the length tends to be unknown. I mean, to use an example, I mentioned Trigun as an original ending I like. The manga ended 10 years after the anime ended. That's a long time! And everything I've heard about the Attack on Titan manga sounds like the story is just getting started and could easily go on for many, many years. Sure, I'll read the manga someday after it ends, but I have zero interest in reading it while it's still going on because who knows how long it will be? The manga was originally submitted for Shonen Jump so I think it's a safe bet to assume it won't finish this decade.

Meanwhile with anime you know how long they'll run and maybe they'll get a sequel or two but it's quite rare to see an anime take half a decade or more to tell its story.

(And another reason is that I feel that the show has a solid premise with some glaring problems and maybe diverging from the manga could fix that)

But of course all that is null at this point since the examples I gave made sure to implement their differences early on instead of changing everything in the last few episodes. I just wonder what their long term plan is since the manga is monthly but the pacing seems to be rough at the cited 1 chapter per episode rate.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Captain Invictus posted:

Boy am I real loving glad you're not in charge of this show then, since I want to see season two way more than season one.

I wasn't talking about an anime original ending for this season. I assume a season 2 is pretty much a given at this point but when they actually end the anime they better have an ending, whether it's from the manga if it ended by then or an anime original ending. The worst thing I can think of is if I watch 2+ seasons and the anime having a complete non-ending.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The material adapted for the first season was published over the span of two years, and there's still about one year's worth of material that hasn't been adapted. Virtually all of it is another story arc, which hasn't been concluded yet. At this point it's pretty much: an anime original ending, or a cliffhanger that might not get resolved for a year as far as anime watchers are concerned.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Having an anime-only ending is dumb*, especially the series is popular enough to warrant more seasons down the line. Worst case scenario and there isn't, you can just read the manga; there's literally no good reason not to.

*At least with this series. As good as the manga is, a big part of the series is action and still pictures can never do it the same justice as (good) animation.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

There is a good reason not to read the manga, I don't want to read the manga. Seems like a very good reason to me.

To me an anime original ending is much, much preferable to a complete non-ending. No way in hell do I want to have to turn to another format to get proper closure. It's like watching 7 Harry Potter films and find out that I have to read the books for the conclusion.

If they decide that season 2 (which I'm sure there will be) is to be the final season of the anime and the manga hasn't finished yet then I drat sure want an anime ending.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

He also argued that hatsune Miku is more authentic as a pop star than Lana Del Rey

To be fair, Lana Del Rey is not very "authentic". If you're familiar with her past, she's been thoroughly molded and fabricated into the huge pop star that she is today and has caught some flak for it. That's not to say that she doesn't have a great voice and some really fun songs though. Miku is just a synthesizer that got stupidly popular, so in a sense that statement isn't that inflammatory, but eh. :shrug:

---

Got into this series around episode 19. Marathoned the entire season in one day. I got fuckin' hooked. Excited for the next episode.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Stall_19 posted:

To me an anime original ending is much, much preferable to a complete non-ending. No way in hell do I want to have to turn to another format to get proper closure. It's like watching 7 Harry Potter films and find out that I have to read the books for the conclusion.

No, it's not. It's more comparable to you wanting an original ending to the first Harry Potter movie because you don't want to read the books or wait for the next movie.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

tiistai posted:

No, it's not. It's more comparable to you wanting an original ending to the first Harry Potter movie because you don't want to read the books or wait for the next movie.

Not really, although I don't think it will be much more than 2 but I'm willing to wait for as many seasons as they put out. But when they decide that that season will be its last I want an ending, anime only or otherwise.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 21, 2013

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Well, on the bright side, you likely aren't going to have to worry about it not continuously getting new seasons until the manga ends, because not only is this show selling utterly insane amounts, but it's also caused the manga to sell even insaner amounts.

By the way, the person you originally responded to was questioning why someone else had explicitly wanted there to be an anime original ending. Which is why people had no idea what you were trying to say.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Stall_19 posted:

But when they decide that that season will be its last I want an ending, anime only or otherwise.

Oh, this I can understand. It just seems to me they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they wrapped it up here. There's still money to be made.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Srice posted:

Honestly?

I like it when shows pull a FMA or Trigun and go their own way

I can see it now Eren wakes up to find himself in WW2 and has to fight Hitler's new titan army.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

There is a good reason not to read the manga, I don't want to read the manga. Seems like a very good reason to me.

Being a petulant child is not a good reason, I'm afraid.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Genocyber posted:

Welp, can't watch Attack on Titan unless you read the Manga. Genocyber's orders everyone. Clear out this thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Genocyber posted:

I always suggest that people read the manga before watching the anime but it's their loss if they choose not to. You don't need to act petty just because someone doesn't want to read it.

I think it's stupid to raise a stink over the anime having seasonal cliffhangers though since most anime based on mangas are in service to increasing manga sales. AOT has become so successful as an anime as well at this point though that they might be able to finagle their own ending with it if they want to try. It'd probably be terrible like the original FMA anime's ending though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
From my understanding, manga comes first and foremost and that anime is just to popularize the manga. And most of the time, there is a huge assumption that if you're watching an anime, you're reading the manga. I can't tell you how many times I said "I like anime" or "I'm watching <show>" only to be asked if I "read" this or that. Some people watch anime, but all Japanese buy manga.

I think we're far enough in to guess that we're not going the way of Soul Eater and FMA and we're going to get the manga's ending, but I think it's still too early to say we're not going to go the way of InuYasha and Bleach and get a non-ending. I don't think there's enough of a world to go the way of One Piece and have the story go to infinity though.

I can understand if you don't want to read the manga (I'm probably the only One Piecer on Earth that doesn't read the manga), but those of us that do know that what's in store is probably better than anything they could whip up from the world that's been established so far. From what I know of Season 2, you will really enjoy it if you're patient enough.

If that doesn't work for you, draw your own anime-original ending.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Genocyber posted:

You watch movies but don't want to read the storyboards? Quit being a petulant child.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

I dunno, I can understand not wanting to read the manga for whatever reason (and there can be good reasons), but "BECAUSE I DON'T WANNA OKAY?!?!" is a pretty lovely reason.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

suztan posted:

I dunno, I can understand not wanting to read the manga for whatever reason (and there can be good reasons), but "BECAUSE I DON'T WANNA OKAY?!?!" is a pretty lovely reason.

Pretty much this. It's fine if he doesn't want to read the manga, but wanting the anime to end prior to the manga (which will mean whatever comes after in the manga will likely never be animated) just because he doesn't feel like reading it is pretty childish.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Stall_19 posted:

If they decide that season 2 (which I'm sure there will be) is to be the final season of the anime and the manga hasn't finished yet then I drat sure want an anime ending.

That's perfectly valid reason. However, you have to understand that anime, with a few exceptions and SnK not being one of them, is a glorified advertising for a manga / light novel / merch, because that's where the money is. It's totally different from Harry Potter situation and complete reversal from mainstream superhero comic books being glorified marketing research for Hollywood studios. The goal of anime is to sell more manga first and foremost, everything else, like telling a coherent self-contained story, is secondary.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

rvm posted:

That's perfectly valid reason. However, you have to understand that anime, with a few exceptions and SnK not being one of them, is a glorified advertising for a manga / light novel / merch, because that's where the money is. It's totally different from Harry Potter situation and complete reversal from mainstream superhero comic books being glorified marketing research for Hollywood studios. The goal of anime is to sell more manga first and foremost, everything else, like telling a coherent self-contained story, is secondary.

Holy gently caress, anime is a giant conspiracy to make people money MY MIND IS BLOWN.

Just because an anime exists only to sell a manga doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed to stand on its own. That works for any other pair of mediums, including Hollywood/comics. Lets take The Dark Knight as an example. Nolan didn't just borrow a story from the Batman comics, he wrote his own Batman story based on the characters, settings, and themes of the source material. Nolan's trilogy stood perfectly well on its own merit and was an entirely self contained story.

That's not saying that AoT could stand on its own (it might be able to :shrug:), but don't just write off all manga adapted anime as promo material that's worthless on its own merits.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 21, 2013

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

ViggyNash posted:

Nolan's trilogy stood perfectly well on its own merit and was an entirely self contained story.

But but but, canon!!

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

ViggyNash posted:

That's not saying that AoT could stand on its own (it might be able to :shrug:), but don't just write off all manga adapted anime as promo material that's worthless on its own merits.
I'm not sure that's what they're doing, considering how dumb and oblivious they'd have to be to do so. I'd be surprised if, especially in America, more than a quarter of the viewership of an anime series became consumers of the manga. The whole concept of "This anime only exists as a vehicle to sell the manga" seems pretty crazy, but I'm not really all that immersed in the industry to make a judgement, either.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wanting an anime ending from the pieces of nothing we have so far is ridiculous. What kind of ending could they even conjure up with this? Not to be "that guy" but you really know nothing yet from just watching the anime. Literally NOTHING. Not reading the magna and being a fan of the anime is pretty much not the best choice. Good luck waiting for whatever date they decide to make a season 2 if they do.(Aka the Berserk syndrome, and they trolled us TWICE)

rvm
May 6, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Holy gently caress, anime is a giant conspiracy to make people money MY MIND IS BLOWN.

Just because an anime exists only to sell a manga doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed to stand on its own. That works for any other pair of mediums, including Hollywood/comics. Lets take The Dark Knight as an example. Nolan didn't just borrow a story from the Batman comics, he wrote his own Batman story based on the characters, settings, and themes of the source material. Nolan's trilogy stood perfectly well on its own merit and was an entirely self contained story.

Did you read my message? I never said it's not allowed to stand on its own, I only said that it's not its main purpose. It's not a conspiracy or anything like that.

And Dark Knight trilogy definitely wasn't made to sell more comic books, so I'm not sure where you're going with this. I'm sure that half of people who enjoyed it (or Avengers or Man Of Steel) is never going to buy a single comic book in their lives.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

American cinema and Japanese cartoons are two completely different things, both artistically and financially. I don't see how they're at all comparable.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Every time people try to guess at what the animation studios and the producers are doing or should be doing, I want to find that post from Tuxedo Catfish about assuming that japanese companies are always making reasonable decisions, and quote it. Endlessly.

e:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"This Japanese media company will surely make sound financial decisions about their television show."

There we go.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 21, 2013

rvm
May 6, 2013

TK-31 posted:

Every time people try to guess at what the animation studios and the producers are doing or should be doing, I want to find that post from Tuxedo Catfish about assuming that japanese companies are always making reasonable decisions, and quote it. Endlessly.

e:

There we go.

Well, in case of SnK, manga sales almost doubled since the beginning of the show and BR sales are pretty decent, so I'm not sure how that applies here. A lot of people have weird misconceptions about anime and manga industry (like some people think they care about Western market or make money off of TV advertising, etc.), so a lot of their decisions only seem illogical because you don't really know what their monetization model is. That doesn't mean neither that a lot of their decisions aren't actually dumb, of course, nor that the model itself is reasonable.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Hmmm, since it got brought up kinda, is the Trigun manga worth picking up? I loved the anime. Also I liked FMA more than Brotherhood which I thought was way more predictable and by the numbers if that helps.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

I'm kind of sympathetic to this viewpoint in theory, but in practice The Dark Knight was written and directed by people with a very clear and distinct artistic vision of their own, and changes (makes up from scratch, really) whatever it needs to throughout the length of the films. The only anime studio I've ever known to do this in their adaptations is Bones, and even then they aren't any good at it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 22, 2013

rvm
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm kind of sympathetic to this viewpoint in theory, but in practice The Dark Knight was written and directed by people with a very clear and distinct artistic vision of their own, and changes (makes up from scratch, really) whatever it needs to throughout the length of the films. The only anime studio I've ever known to even to do this in their adaptations is Bones, and even then they aren't any good at it.

Well, superhero comics have convoluted continuities that even fans struggle to keep up with, there are multiple versions of characters, plot points, etc, so it's accepted that adaptations can diverge from that mess to do their own thing. With manga it's much more simple, it's just one author, one canon, one continuity, crossovers only exist as inconsequential fanservice, etc, which is good in my opinion, but it also means that if you want to adapt it, you have much less of a leeway, because you're not just adapting a character like Nolan did, you're adapting a story.

rvm fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 21, 2013

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

AF posted:

To be fair, Lana Del Rey is not very "authentic". If you're familiar with her past, she's been thoroughly molded and fabricated into the huge pop star that she is today and has caught some flak for it. That's not to say that she doesn't have a great voice and some really fun songs though. Miku is just a synthesizer that got stupidly popular, so in a sense that statement isn't that inflammatory, but eh. :shrug:

---

Got into this series around episode 19. Marathoned the entire season in one day. I got fuckin' hooked. Excited for the next episode.

Authenticity doesn't even exist

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Holy poo poo, that opening scene was amazing even though it was like 20 seconds. I can already tell this is going to be a crazy good episode.

oh gently caress you for that ending cliffhanger

:stare:

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 22, 2013

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
^^^^^
I think the scouting legion would have more success capturing titans if they didn't feel the need to taunt and provoke them.

This episode had a lot more action than I expected, with good animation for it as well. I'm also surprised at how little they gave away in the preview this time.

I'm just slightly disappointed that they didn't use one of the best panels from the manga: http://img.batoto.net/comics/2012/04/11/s/read4f85aa9f4ef6c/img000038.jpg

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Jesus gently caress what the hell Mikasa.

edit: Whoever did the eyes this episode really had some fun with it.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

^
Yeah, I figured someone would pay attention to her eyes. Jesus, just watch her eyes throughout the entire scene, it almost feels like they're staring right back at you. Creepiest anime eyes I've seen.

I wonder how all the nobles and what-not will feel about the destruction unleashed upon the capital. I can't imagine Eren ending up without blame even though he'd save the day. Oh, we actually haven't seen the...King? Monarchs? Whatever. I wonder if they're total douchebags or at least appear decent from outer appearance, if we get a chance of seeing them in future episodes. Also, the architecture in the capital resembles more than a little of Germany.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The final episode better be double-length cause I can't imagine it not turning out extremely frustrating otherwise.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
I know it's hard to believe manga readers when they say "trust me, it gets even better," but this is a series where you really do need to be patient. Some of the best chapters so far haven't been animated yet, and it's definitely worth the wait to see them in full animated glory.

I think Attack on Titan would be a worse series if it went with an anime-only ending, simply because I don't think they could top what already happens in the manga.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The emotion shown in this show is incredible. I swear every week its the fastest 20 minutes ever.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Captain Backslap posted:

The final episode better be double-length cause I can't imagine it not turning out extremely frustrating otherwise.

I don't think there's any point where the anime could stop and make the ending not frustrating.

I hope all of you anime-only guys will start reading the manga once this season's over. There's one reveal in particular that's just expertly done and really uses the format in a surprising way- I can't imagine it will have the same effect once animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doflamingo posted:

I hope all of you anime-only guys will start reading the manga once this season's over. There's one reveal in particular that's just expertly done and really uses the format in a surprising way- I can't imagine it will have the same effect once animated.

That's my plan! Because I'm not waiting another year or so while Wit gets its poo poo together to make a second season. See you peeps in the manga thread in a month, I'm awaiting how much of my predictions and conjectures were completely wrong.

• Locked thread