Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well more appropriate philosophizing. Archwizard Hellflames the 3rd is more likely giving a soliloquy on the nature of gods and economics than Private Poopfarmer of the 523rd Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One of the conceits of Toll the Hounds is that Kruppe is doing the narrating. So of course there's a lot of long-winded philosophizing because that's how Kruppe rolls.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Levitate posted:

Nah that only proves my point

I think we just discovered pure evil. :colbert:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

zokie posted:

Errastas is pretty evil... FoD spoilers about magic.

But remember, even before the book has started Krull has done his sacrifice/gift and created magic for all. Illgast Rend seems to be one of the first Tiste to explore it becoming a master of Denul. But Omtose Phellack is a city, not elder magic. Errastas seems to be really pissed about magic being freely available. Something that previously was restricted to the Azathanai (and maybe some others like Jaghut or Thel Akai). He is really proud of using Krull's gift to slay the Hood's wife and escape the scene of the crime. Later he is seen shoving stone tiles into the bodies of slain Jaghut in Omtose Phellack! I believe this is how Holds came to be, Errastas wants to give magic a cost and so starts to associate it with blood (and himself) he binds it to these tiles. And thus we have the Master of Tiles/Holds Errastas.
This isn't entirely correct. Azathanai magic already requires blood in some fashion or another - hence why Anomander's was required for the investment of Andarist's heartstone (or whatever it was) - so this is not an association that Errastas needs to create. K'rul's big sacrifice in making magic accessible to other races is that he (or, I guess, SHE) opened her veins and spilled her own blood to, essentially, pay the blood price for everyone else using it. Further, there is some heavy suggestion (at least that was my impression) that what K'rul does with regard to making holds/warrens available is tap into the aspects of the other Azathanai (hence Olar Ethil's aspect becomes what we know as the warren of Telann, Brood's becomes the warren of Tennes, etc...).

That last bit reminds me of an interesting revelation I had when reading this part in FoD (about how Azathanai have aspects that K'rul had managed to make available in some form to others). In, I think, MoI, Caladan Brood (whose aspect is earth/land)has a scene where he's describing his relationship to Burn, and he says something like, "I am her Warren." It struck me: he literally is.

Fuckin' Erikson.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Magic stuff: Aren't dragons a key part of the Warrens too? I seem to remember that coming up a few times.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In bonehunters When cotillion talks to the chained dragons in shadow they tell him krul used them to shape his warrens

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Magic stuff: Aren't dragons a key part of the Warrens too? I seem to remember that coming up a few times.

The dragons involvement (FoD spoilers) is probably K'rul's next step, in an attempt to keep the warrens 'free'. Dragons show up at the end of FoD, so we'll probably see K'rul negotiate with them at some point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm at the bit of The Crippled God where Quick Ben and Kalam come back and attack the Forkrul Assail and I'm wondering if it will be revealed exactly what/who Quick Ben and Ruthan Gudd are? If it is then I'll read on to find out as usual. I'm kind of disappointed Yedan Derryg died but everything during the lightfall was really good. The Snake definitely went on far too long for its pay off (so far) but maybe that was the whole point

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We don't know who either of those guys ~really~ are yet but for what it's worth, Quick Ben supposedly has already shown up in Forge of Darkness.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

One of the conceits of Toll the Hounds is that Kruppe is doing the narrating. So of course there's a lot of long-winded philosophizing because that's how Kruppe rolls.

I'm reading that now. Krupp starts talking and I start skimming. Same goes for when a character reminisces for the nth time about all the horrible poo poo they've gone through and how life doesn't really mean anything and they don't feel much anymore, yadda yadda yadda.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well the nice thing is that you don't have to take Kruppe seriously. He doesn't mean half the things he says anyways.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013
I keep waiting for portent but Kruppe rarely delivers.

On the other hand, Pusk's nonsense is entertaining if only for the reactions of other characters, and his reaction to their reaction.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

We don't know who either of those guys ~really~ are yet but for what it's worth, Quick Ben supposedly has already shown up in Forge of Darkness.

I imagine that that is just one of his additional souls. We meet his sister and learn about his childhood in one of the books so we know the base Quick Ben is just a normal yet powerful human Mage. He just got lucky and was picked to hold the souls of other mages.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Kruppe is an awful character and reads like Erikson patting himself on the back. He was arguably interesting in GotM but is largely insufferable in every appearance thereafter. Bugg is basically Kruppe but not uninteresting and obnoxious.

Then again, Erikson's characters are mostly terrible with a few exceptions. Fortunately the characters take a backseat to his incredible setting, which is so amazingly realized that even the talentless Esselmont can write entertaining novels in it.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 21, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Erikson's characters are mostly terrible with a few exceptions

ERrOR ERRor ErROR

Ethiser posted:

I imagine that that is just one of his additional souls. We meet his sister and learn about his childhood in one of the books so we know the base Quick Ben is just a normal yet powerful human Mage. He just got lucky and was picked to hold the souls of other mages.

Well, it's not out of the question that QB has some trace of Andii blood - not unlike Topper, but not nearly so direct, but yeah, the character(s) in FoD who bear some potential resemblance to QB are either soul(s) he ends up absorbing or, perhaps more likely, progenitors of those souls. It's also not necessarily luck - his bloodline is almost certainly responsible for his...advanced abilities in that aspect of magic, and the rest was part of his master plan.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 21, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I thought that Quick Ben's original personality got dissolved when the souls got soulshifted into him. He's not necessarily the picture of sanity.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

I thought that Quick Ben's original personality got dissolved when the souls got soulshifted into him. He's not necessarily the picture of sanity.

He pretty clearly remembers events from his childhood, is still attached to his biological sister, etc... I don't think there's anything hinting that his original personality dissolved. It is I am pretty sure hinted, however, that the other souls did have some effect on his personality.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm just wondering why that some of the more qualified members of the Bridgeburners (Whiskeyjack, Kalam, and QB) were still rather lowly soldiers than super high ranking Imperial agents. I guess the Empress just shrugged and sat back the whole time.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

amuayse posted:

I'm just wondering why that some of the more qualified members of the Bridgeburners (Whiskeyjack, Kalam, and QB) were still rather lowly soldiers than super high ranking Imperial agents. I guess the Empress just shrugged and sat back the whole time.

Except that's wrong.

Kalam was a high ranking claw agent, Whiskeyjack was one of the most senior military men in the empire, one of the heirs apparent before Surly seized the throne. He was bumped down to his lowly position to suppress his influence. Quick Ben is intentionally hiding, but has been an Imperial High Mage before. Even Hedge and Fiddler are considered THE sappers, the ones who do crazy poo poo with amazing results. They are all A listers.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I've tried to read Dust of Dreams twice, the last time being a year ago. I can't ever get through it but I've been really feeling like I want to try it again so I'm going to start tonight. I haven't looked at this thread since the last time I tried so has there been anything else that's come out since Crippled God?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Erikson came out with Forge of Darkness which is the first book in a prequel trilogy set in the heyday of the Tiste people, focusing around the city of Kharkanas. It's quite good, with that said I'd recommend finishing up Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God first.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I know that, I just thought it would've been more prudent for the Empress to you know, actually actively utilize their talents rather than just have them out of mind on the front lines. Well the Empress was never as smart as she wanted everyone to think she was so there's that.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hmm I always got the impression that she didn't really want to kill off all her old guard friends but still had to look like she had control of the empire. Hence whenever some semi ascendant falls off a boat she is quick to say they died and never really look for a body. Either that or sending them to Genebackis to fight the Crimson Guard and Pale cabal was a death sentence and still good because she couldn't be directly accused of killing whiskeyjack and one arm which who were popular with the troops.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Hmm I always got the impression that she didn't really want to kill off all her old guard friends but still had to look like she had control of the empire. Hence whenever some semi ascendant falls off a boat she is quick to say they died and never really look for a body. Either that or sending them to Genebackis to fight the Crimson Guard and Pale cabal was a death sentence and still good because she couldn't be directly accused of killing whiskeyjack and one arm which who were popular with the troops.

The plan was more or less to set Dujek and Whiskeyjack in position to take on the growing threat of the Pamion Seer, "outlawing" them so it'd be easier for them to make an alliance with Rake and Brood against a common enemey once they subdued Darujhistan and the rest of the Free Cities. Tayschrem hosed it up along the way by being olverloyal to Lasseen to the point of paranoia about Whiskeyjack and the Bridgeburners. Of course, getting the Bridgeburners and Onearm's Host to Genabackis is also convenient for Lasseen in that it gets some of her bigger rivals to the throne off on another continent.

Lasseen seems pretty happy to live on a reputation of fear and murder but I don't think she ever actually has a confirmed kill on anyone worth mentioning, except maybe Dassem.

BTW if Esslemont keeps writing in the Malazan world after he's done with Assail, I think I'd be down for him taking a crack at some of the early days of the Malazan Empire. His writing has been (gradually) improving and I think he could do those events at least some justice, while Erikson continues with bigger and better things (like the Karsa trilogy :black101:).

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 22, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

I know that, I just thought it would've been more prudent for the Empress to you know, actually actively utilize their talents rather than just have them out of mind on the front lines. Well the Empress was never as smart as she wanted everyone to think she was so there's that.

I think there are two parts to this. First, Lasseen doesn't exactly want those guys in high positions. Not necessarily because they're a-list or whatever, but because they have a lot of loyal followers. Regardless of what talents they bring to the table, given the political environment, it's not unreasonable that she would want them to utilize those talents far away from the capital and to the extent allowable out of positions of particularly high influence. The second is that both Dujek and Whiskeyjack want nothing more than stability for the empire, and know they have a lot of loyalists who will not only follow them if they decide to seize power, but without active dissuasion might actually urge them to do so. So staying out of positions of influence and away from places where power is exercised fits their goals.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
[quote="The Ninth Layer" post="""]
Lasseen seems pretty happy to live on a reputation of fear and murder but I don't think she ever actually has a confirmed kill on anyone worth mentioning, except maybe Dassem.
[/quote]

Even then... he's not particularly dead.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

Even then... he's not particularly dead.

Or at all.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
I am just starting book number three. Really digging the series. Almost didn't get into it. If you are starting with GOTM, keep trying. I had to start reading it four times to finally power through the first hundred paged and get hooked. Definitely worth it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Witness.

Mr.Boofu posted:

I am just starting book number three. Really digging the series. Almost didn't get into it. If you are starting with GOTM, keep trying. I had to start reading it four times to finally power through the first hundred paged and get hooked. Definitely worth it.

Testify.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I always got the feeling Quick Ben basically got the souls from the other mages by extortion during the escape attempt through the desert. Whiskeyjack and his men encounter one dead mage after another, and finally we end up with Quick Ben that changes side. Also, why didn't just the mages lure out the Bridgeburners into the desert, murder them and escape? Seeing what Quick Ben accomplishes in the main series, that shouldn't really be a problem for them.

Also, Tayschreen in GoTM is extremely badly written and has literally nothing do to do with the rest of the books.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Cardiac posted:

I always got the feeling Quick Ben basically got the souls from the other mages by extortion during the escape attempt through the desert. Whiskeyjack and his men encounter one dead mage after another, and finally we end up with Quick Ben that changes side. Also, why didn't just the mages lure out the Bridgeburners into the desert, murder them and escape? Seeing what Quick Ben accomplishes in the main series, that shouldn't really be a problem for them.

Also, Tayschreen in GoTM is extremely badly written and has literally nothing do to do with the rest of the books.

I suspect what happened with the mages, the pursuit and eventually QB joining the Bridgeburners was all according to plan. QB's plan most likely. Remember, he wanted to make himself scarce from his past and the Bridgeburners moved around a lot during the Empire's expansion phase.

Also, the Bridgeburners came out of the desert greater then they went into it. Again, that was probably what QB wanted to accomplish for his own purposes.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So was the Crippled God the god of death in his old world? I think that would make sorta sense because of the jade statues full of dead worshippers following him through the portal.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

So was the Crippled God the god of death in his old world? I think that would make sorta sense because of the jade statues full of dead worshippers following him through the portal.

I believe it is actually implied that he may be the only god on his world, and IIRC he has some passages in the latter novels that talk about how despite being their only god, his people basically make up things he told or commanded them, and go to war over him with other cultures despite them all sharing the same god. Honestly, I got the impression that the TCG was in that sense an intentional bit of an analogue for our god of the JudeoChristianIslamic tradition.

Kalas posted:

I suspect what happened with the mages, the pursuit and eventually QB joining the Bridgeburners was all according to plan. QB's plan most likely. Remember, he wanted to make himself scarce from his past and the Bridgeburners moved around a lot during the Empire's expansion phase.

Also, the Bridgeburners came out of the desert greater then they went into it. Again, that was probably what QB wanted to accomplish for his own purposes.

This isn't really supported by the QB and Kalam POV flash back we get in one of the novels. QB was definitely planning on stealing their souls, but he and Kalam were also planning to be able to leave the BB behind and go off on their own. Whiskeyjack turned it on them (like the BBs are so good at doing).

Regarding the 'why didn't the mages just destroy them' question, well, we have seen plenty limitations with mages. Their condition when fleeing the BBs was deteriorating, and by the time we catch up with QB he is in worse shape than the normal people chasing him (who are not quite normal at that point) despite being the depository of a high mage cadre. Plus munitions and all that.

I seem to recall, and I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that they just figured (maybe it was even mentioned that QB had talked them into it) that it would be easier to try to lose them in the monster that is Raraku that to go up against the Empire's elite marines.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 23, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I finished The Crippled God last night and there were a few characters who seemed to be left out near the ending. Mainly Kallor and the Errant. Draconus killed Kilmandaros and that was the last we saw of him? The Errant released Korabas as part of his plan but then although it failed it seems like it should have come back to him to at least get his reaction

I'm just wondering if they're going to be in future books which was why they were ignored or if I've just forgotten something. What order do people recommend I read the other books in the series too?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd read another 10 books just about Kallor's adventures over the ages. Favorite character in the series.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I finished The Crippled God last night and there were a few characters who seemed to be left out near the ending. Mainly Kallor and the Errant. Draconus killed Kilmandaros and that was the last we saw of him? The Errant released Korabas as part of his plan but then although it failed it seems like it should have come back to him to at least get his reaction

I'm just wondering if they're going to be in future books which was why they were ignored or if I've just forgotten something. What order do people recommend I read the other books in the series too?

Errastas is currently on the run from Draconus (who makes a very brief appearance in OST), but is ignored (along with Kallor) in TCG because they don't figure into the resolution. Kallor features prominently in Blood and Bone. I maybe should spoiler that because ICE tries to hide it for a while, but I thought it was obvious from pretty much his first appearance who it was.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Honestly, I don't even need any resolution on Errastas. Guy has Draconus after him. There's only one way that's going to end, and it has such a sense of inevitability to it that the only real reason I can see it being written out is to give readers the satisfaction of seeing him bite it.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Narratively though, I'm satisfied with what we know.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Errastas is sticking around so that Karsa will have someone to gently caress up when his trilogy rolls around. He'll get built up into even more of an rear end in a top hat in the Kharkanas trilogy, and it'll be super satisfying when Draconus and Karsa take him out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I am in general OK with the lack of resolution for all those characters. The series is a history of a particular time, event, and people, so it's only natural that we don't see what happens to everyone whose trajectory intersects it.

On the other hand, unlike Errastas, Kallor is actually an interesting character and as said above, I wouldn't minx reading a book about him (his exploits in and death of his empire could be an epic good read).

And on the gripping hand, if the point of Errastas is to become an even bigger rear end in a top hat before Karsa splits him in twain with either one of his swords, that's just fine, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Habibi posted:

And on the gripping hand

Good lord