Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Bajaha posted:

Truck Nuts had scrape marks because they were hanging so low to the ground. Not sure what spiderman is doing hanging off the side there.

Drift charm.

quote:

The origin and purpose behind a drift charm is to show racers/drivers behind how "sick" their drift is. This is because as they drift their car, the drift charm will swing and will appear to stay afloat, which warns other drivers/racers that he/she is a good drifter, or has a good drift car. Hence the name, "drift charm", is given to these objects/toys hanging from the back of cars.

God, it's crazy. I can't find a single picture of a drift charm in mid-drift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

anonumos posted:

Huh, how odd...

I saw one on a completely boring stock-except-stickers early 90s Civic today on the way home. Didn't have a chance to snap a photo, but it was some grungy... thing. Couldn't figure out what it was.

Mostly I see stuffed animals, though. They're moderately common in the northwest.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Code Jockey posted:

Huh, how odd...

I saw one on a completely boring stock-except-stickers early 90s Civic today on the way home. Didn't have a chance to snap a photo, but it was some grungy... thing. Couldn't figure out what it was.

I used to work with a kid who was building a drifter 240SX.

Except he put drift charms on his 2002 Civic while building the 240. I always gave him poo poo for not putting them on the front. Took him a few weeks to figure out what I really meant.. :v:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

anonumos posted:

Drift charm.

That is the dumbest poo poo I ever heard.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I saw a video that followed some cops around as they were trying to bust street racers, and they said the drift charm was a signal to other drivers that they were down to race. Also some dumb poo poo I've heard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a Spider-man figure hanging off the back of my Jeep for three years like that.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I had a trunkmonkey beause subaru, and was once accosted by some less than savory individuals in the hood because it automatically implied that black people should be dragged behind cars :rolleyes:

I took it off immediately :ohdear:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

That is the dumbest poo poo I ever heard.

Drift charms are usually seen on beat-to-poo poo imports in my area. They are good indicators of people who you want to distance yourself from on the road because they usually are both terrible and aggressive drivers. Also usually included on the car is one of those ridiculous anodized aluminium tow hooks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SaNChEzZ posted:

I had a trunkmonkey beause subaru, and was once accosted by some less than savory individuals in the hood because it automatically implied that black people should be dragged behind cars :rolleyes:

I took it off immediately :ohdear:

Jesus Christ :eyepop:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Jesus Christ :eyepop:

What's worse, my "implied racism" or the ignorance of the individuals that literally, chased me for miles onto the freeway?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SaNChEzZ posted:

What's worse, my "implied racism" or the ignorance of the individuals that literally, chased me for miles onto the freeway?

Oh I'm aware of the tunkmonkey fad, just amazed that someone took offense to it and went apeshit over it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh I'm aware of the tunkmonkey fad, just amazed that someone took offense to it and went apeshit over it.

:rimshot:

Yeah, I was really surprised as well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Chinatown posted:

Drift charms are usually seen on beat-to-poo poo imports in my area. They are good indicators of people who you want to distance yourself from on the road because they usually are both terrible and aggressive drivers. Also usually included on the car is one of those ridiculous anodized aluminium tow hooks.

I saw a horrible riced out Civic the other day with a purple tow hook.....attached to the rear bumper cover.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

I saw a horrible riced out Civic the other day with a purple tow hook.....attached to the rear bumper cover.

I bet tow truck drivers take a special glee in hooking up to those when they roll the car onto the hook.

"Tow hook, you say?"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
BEHOLD, PEASANTS

And, wait for it...

Yeah, there ain't no loving 3406 in there. Also, the 600 HP version is the C, not E, if I can recall correctly (probably wrong, though). Click each for big.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 21, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I bet tow truck drivers take a special glee in hooking up to those when they roll the car onto the hook.

"Tow hook, you say?"

I think I remember AI's general consensus was that it's nice to fantasize about, but not act upon; or maybe that the tow drivers on here said they'd just use the frame for recovery anyway.

Man, there's not one loving thing redeeming about that entire car.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wasabi the J posted:

Man, there's not one loving thing redeeming about that entire car.

It runs. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It'd be better if it was melted down for scrap, so I'd say the fact that it still runs is also terrible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Think fast! If you were forced to drive that Mitsubishi Eclipse SPYDER, or the Dodge Caliber in front of it, for a week, which would you choose?

IOwnCalculus posted:

It'd be better if it was melted down for scrap, so I'd say the fact that it still runs is also terrible.

Can bondo be melted down for scrap? Look at the passenger-side "hood scoop" in the big image. The entire hood is bondo! You can tell that the car used to be yellow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I will answer your "do you want chlamydia or crabs" question with "herpes."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Still an eclipse dude, right there on the rear end.

And I'd rather walk.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would totally take this herpes :allears: Besides, AI loves slammed S-10's.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Geirskogul posted:

BEHOLD, PEASANTS

[bondo eclipse]

Yeah, there ain't no loving 3406 in there. Also, the 600 HP version is the C, not E, if I can recall correctly (probably wrong, though). Click each for big.

Is ... is that bondo around the window in the soft-top? Why would anyone :psyboom:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
I like this car, because you can see exactly where the person deer hit the windshield after being clipped.

I don't know what this is, but I think it's Sora and Axel from Kingdom Hearts.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ulfhednar posted:

I don't know what this is, but I think it's Sora and Axel from Kingdom Hearts.

You know how people stretch an image to the wrong aspect ratio on their desktop wallpapers?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

What is so terrible about that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wait, is it leveled according to the grade of the street?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's leveled according to the number of dead bodies in the rear.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's so... sad. :saddowns:

It might not look completely stupid without the negative rake on the grill. What the hell?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's so... sad. :saddowns:

It might not look completely stupid without the negative rake on the grill. What the hell?

Tilt hood! :haw:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Bad pic, street is flat. No load in the back.

blk fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 21, 2013

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Still an eclipse dude, right there on the rear end.

And I'd rather walk.

At least you can take your crank with you! :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Geirskogul posted:

Think fast! If you were forced to drive that Mitsubishi Eclipse SPYDER, or the Dodge Caliber in front of it, for a week, which would you choose?
The Caliber - because it has ONE redeeming feature - a "refrigerated" glovebox.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/05/cool-trick-dull-car/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hazy night, right?

Except it was crystal clear, other than that one intersection, which also reeked of the rather unmistakable odor of burnt rubber. I could see the haze from this (literally) from a mile away approaching it, and by the time I drove through it I could see a similar cloud of tire smoke another mile down the road.

It may be stupid and borderline terrible, but someone definitely has some guts generating Top Fuel levels of tiresmoke on the street.

A group of us from auto body and auto mechanics did this when I was in high school leaving the all county vocational school. If you got caught leaving when the school buses did, they'd stop traffic and you'd have to sit there for like 10 minutes as they all filed out. So one day that happened, and my buddy in his Dodge van started it off, then I lit up my S-10, then a kid in a Firebird, another in an 80's Cutlass, then two Mustangs. A sustained, minute long power brake session, directly in front of the school.

Not only did that stop all traffic and make us have to wait even longer than we would have, but it got us a rather stern talking to the next day. We were really surprised at that, because hey, we're off school property, right? WRONG.

Honestly, I have no idea why I thought I'd remain anonymous driving a lipstick pink truck with flames down the sides, that I painted in auto body and everyone knew was mine. Oh well, it was a good three days off. :allears:

IOwnCalculus posted:

This owns, and I'd drive the piss out of it. Oh ye of questionable tastes!

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 21, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

My only issue with this is that the rear of the original hood (at the windshield) became a cowl induction-type hood scoop, and then they added another cowl induction hood scoop on top of that. Otherwise it looks well done, just needs to be lowered. Probably should have left the '68 marker lights off the fender though.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn
I'll have to have to share this gem, honest journo's:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/new-cars/harsh-reality-keating-bolt-supercar

For only £750.000!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
An old coworker/desert racing bro posted this gem on FB last night regarding his lifted Toyota Tacoma.

:catstare: