Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Yeah that kind of matches up with what I've had friends who have done it tell me, thanks heaps for the info. Looks like it going to be hard, even though I don't mind what type of work I end up with, hospitality seemed the easy option because of the tips. I've been a tour guide for the last 3 years so that might be something to look into.

I mistyped though, I'll be arriving at the end of October not September which I'm gunna guess means I'm even more SOL. How about the bigger cities? Could I fall back to say, Vancouver, if the ski fields doesn't work out?

Anyway, to contribute have a recipe for what used to be our go to Saturday night (after close) starter for staff, a hackney zombie, also one of my favorite drinks.

60ml Talisker 10yr
15ml Orange Curacao
15ml Benedictine
5ml Port
20ml Lemon Juice
15ml Honey Syrup (2:1 honey and water)
5ml Ginger Juice
1 Egg White

All in a shaker, dry shake, add ice, shake until your arms fall off, strain into a collins filled with ice. Behold as you end up on a roundabout at 10am with no pants on screaming at passers by that "hitler aint got poo poo on me"

Kontour fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Vancouver isn't really one of the 'bigger' cities, just the closest to the mountains (besides North Vancouver, technically it's own district, but part of the GVRD). We only have 603k people (based on the 2011 census in the city proper, and I think that jumps to about 1.2 million if you look at the GVRD).

You'll have missed the september hiring push probably (which should be just about over by this point). There should be seasonal staffing coming up closer to December, and then business jumps off a cliff in January.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

nrr posted:

I'm in the BC ski fields, and not to burst your bubble, but it's practically impossible to get a bartending gig out here. It does depend on where exactly you're going but I came into town with 7 years experience and it still took me over a year working in a club to get behind the bar. You've got to get really lucky to stumble into a place that needs a bartender because the jobs that are going up here are very, very rarely free and there's at least another couple of hundred people just like you looking for the exact same job.

The good news is that you're getting into town before all the major job fairs, so you'll get a chance to go to the cattle calls and at least have a shot. The bad news is that the end of September is going to be coming into shoulder season and nowhere is going to be hiring anyone for around another month at least, so you're going to want to make sure you've got cash to keep you going, as well as money for rent and security deposit as well. The most important thing you want to do when you get here is find a place as soon as possible. There's going to be a good couple of thousand kids coming here for the season and they'll all be looking for a place. They fill up fast.

My advice is trying to get into serving (waiting) if you can. There's a hell of a lot more serving jobs going, and they still get you tips which is super important. Minimum wage out here is $10/hr, so if you want to make any money you badly want a job that will get you tips. Another option if you have your first aid, is try getting a job as a guide with one of the adventure companies. Snow mobile, zip lining, bungee jumping, heli skiing, there's all sorts of really amazing guide jobs, and on top of having a great job, you get tipped as well. Obviously, those jobs are pretty tough to get too, but if you have first aid they're worth a shot.

Finally, getting a job with the mountain is a great way to get a free pass, although they normally pay poo poo. They do have cheap staff housing, but it's also poo poo if you're not 19 anymore and don't want to live in a dorm. You can also volunteer a day a week over the season and get a pass for that, but when you do the math it basically works out to roughly $8/hr so only go for that as a last resort. If you don't get a job with the mountain, there's other ways to get your pass - some other places will buy you one and there's also a program called the Spirit Pass here (I'm in Whistler, btw) that you can get if your employer is a part of the Chamber of Commerce which gets you a pass for around $1200 instead of the usual $1800 + or whatever it's up to now.

I think that's probably enough words for the moment. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know but tl;dr: Don't just expect to come out here and walk into a bartending job because you're in for a shock.

Speaking only for myself, I would LOVE to hear some more about working a seasonal type gig like that. How does it work? How's the money? How does it differ from working somewhere stable? Dorms?!?

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

navyjack posted:

Speaking only for myself, I would LOVE to hear some more about working a seasonal type gig like that. How does it work? How's the money? How does it differ from working somewhere stable? Dorms?!?

Generally its considered a bit of "lifestyle" gig, as in poo poo pay, poo poo hours but you get to work/live somewhere pretty cool.

Normally you'll be hired on as "seasonal casual" or something like that and depending on how generous the employer is and how remote you are you might get subsidized or free housing and meals, same with stuff like access to equipment and such. Obviously the employers will try to do this as cheaply as possible, and when I did it we had 4 people to a room, and 12 sharing a bathroom.

Little things quickly become Big Things in a short amount of time when you're living and working in such close quarters with people and there's generally a constant undercurrent of gossiping and drama and it can be easy to let the whole thing become a bit life consuming. The upside is you end up knowing people extremely well and will make friends for life.

Hours vary and can really be a bitch when things start slowing down and people end up with poo poo like 2 shifts a week and no way to supplement that with other work cause you're miles from anywhere, alternately if things are busy you might end up like me and be working so goddamn much that you won't have time to do anything else but eat and sleep.

It can also be hard if you come from a more professional background in bartending and hospitality and you find yourself working with people who maybe aren't quite as committed to slinging drinks as you are.

That said it can be loving great fun, the communities that spring up in places like that are full of really cool people and a lot of the time you'll be around others that have a common interest, hence why you're all there. Also there is a truckload of drinking. All the time.

The thing I love about seasonal work is that it practically forces you to pack your poo poo up and go somewhere else after 6 months, and once you streamline your life so you can be up and out in under a day its a wonderfully freeing feeling. You can end up in some really amazing places, and hey, if you don't like it that much you just have to wait a couple of months and head somewhere else.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

JawKnee posted:

Vancouver isn't really one of the 'bigger' cities, just the closest to the mountains (besides North Vancouver, technically it's own district, but part of the GVRD). We only have 603k people (based on the 2011 census in the city proper, and I think that jumps to about 1.2 million if you look at the GVRD).

You'll have missed the september hiring push probably (which should be just about over by this point). There should be seasonal staffing coming up closer to December, and then business jumps off a cliff in January.

How is the nightclub scene in Van? I may potentially have a line on a place out there and am debating taking a jump.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Perdido posted:

How is the nightclub scene in Van? I may potentially have a line on a place out there and am debating taking a jump.

I've never worked the club scene here, as it doesn't interest me, but I'll tell you what I can based on friends/coworkers. Most of the nightclubs are centered on the downtown core Granville street area, though there are a few other areas (Davie street for the gay clubs, some of the sketchier ones on Main street, and in the last 5 years there are a number of new or renovated clubs down in Gastown, as well as other areas like Commercial drive). Liquor laws are fairly prohibitive here, but beginning to relax in the last year or so. I'm a little shaky on exact hour deadlines, some clubs are open until 3am (but absolutely none later than that), most close a little earlier I think. A lot of club/douchey sportsbar type venues here are owned by the Donnelly Group, which have had a nasty habit of buying up decent independent joints that get popular, keeping the name and otherwise turning them into the same lovely club/bar (eg. Library Square, The Modern (which I believe is now defunct, shock of shocks), The Lamplighter).

Outside of a few niche joints I don't really like the clubbing scene here, too much lovely beer/cocktails and loud terrible music :corsair:

Besides that Vancouver is an expensive city to live in, with little in the way of trades besides a middling tech community, the service industry and a tourism industry bolstered by the mountains, and of course our speculative housing industry; so be prepared to probably spend significantly more on rent than you were in Calgary, unless you were in the downtown core or something. As for the people, it's really a mixed bag in the best (and worst) of ways. Lots of rich yuppies living it up, a fair hipster independent crowd bolstered by two universities, and a somewhat steady stream of tourists (much much better in the summer, obviously, though the winter does have its draw). Also we're a fairly multicultural city, so unless you're stuck in suburban hell somewhere you're going to see all kinds of folks.

Sondheim
Dec 10, 2007
FUCK YOU SANDY
Got fired from my old part-time job last Thursday for calling the new (male) GM a oval office. Turns out there is a certain amount of poo poo which I will refuse to eat for roughly $150/shift. Got about 4 months downtime till my next scheduled theatre gig, and I'm tired of scraping by on server money, so I'm back to slinging drinks if I wanna make enough to live comfortably.

First shift at a Hell's Kitchen Irish bar tomorrow. Here we go.

I know it's a long shot, but anyone work in the neighborhood/an NYC Irish bar/NYC in general and wanna give me some tips on easing back into it? I'm actually kind of nervous, just because this isn't a scene I'm familiar with from this side of the wood (previous experience has been mostly in gay bars, which... well, goes without saying it's a whole different ball game).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
People sometimes think "Oh I work at an Irish bar now, time to give away drinks and make buddies!" but you still have an owner and manager and your first week is the time to do what they want not what you want.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Sondheim posted:

Got fired from my old part-time job last Thursday for calling the new (male) GM a oval office. Turns out there is a certain amount of poo poo which I will refuse to eat for roughly $150/shift.

Sounds like you were getting pretty good shifts, what happened?

edit- You are a bartender. Show up to bar clean, don't be late, don't steal too much, and you shouldn't have much business with management.

He doesn't pay you; as long as you get decent shifts then who gives a poo poo if your manager is a _____?

Although, there are a ton of people in this business who are total amateurs because it's their "dream" to own/manage a bar or they were a bouncer that showed up on time or whatever. Most of the time these guys are too busy trying to bang cocktail waitresses to even notice you.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 18, 2013

Sondheim
Dec 10, 2007
FUCK YOU SANDY

40 OZ posted:

Sounds like you were getting pretty good shifts, what happened?

A whole lot.

Might as well tell the story.

The long(er) version is posted in my fitness log, but basically management took me off bartending to replace me with a 22-year-old former ballet dancer who'd never touched a Boston shaker in her life, proceeded to gently caress me out of around 300 dollars a week by putting me on 3 shifts a week instead of 5, ran the restaurant into the ground in the process of trying to improve it, drove away our customer base, insisted it was somehow our fault, and then attempted to solve their problems by forcing us to take a bunch of paper tests.

The incident in question resulted from me refusing to attend a "mandatory" meeting for which I would not be paid, and from filling out one of the aforementioned paper tests with vitriolic joke answers, which I wouldn't have done except that I had taken the exact same test literally 5 weeks prior, and I was handed it and ordered to fill it out in the middle of the first busy shift I'd had in probably a month. So I proceeded to treat it like the joke it was.

Some examples (they listed the "Golden Rules", our steps of service, and asked us to define them):

"Use It Once" (means every customer gets new silverware with each course)
My Answer: "I assume this refers to prophylactics, and is obviously a lie as you can reuse those".

"3 Foot Rule" (acknowledge the presence of any customer within 3 feet of you)
My Answer: "All servers must have 3 feet".

"Love To Say Yes" (self-explanatory)
My Answer: "Always say yes. When you have to say no, say yes instead. You like Pad Thai? No problem. Want an open-mouth kiss with tongue? Of course, sir."

They did not find this amusing, and when I walked in for my shift on Thursday I was called to The Serious Talk Table and asked to have a seat, to which I said I'd rather just cut to the chase thank you. They asked me why I missed the meeting and why I filled out the test the way I did, to which I told them that the test was a joke so I treated it as such, and that I couldn't legally be forced to attend a meeting on company time without being paid. The GM started to berate me for my poor attitude and lack of team spirit, and I cut him off and said "I can no longer pay my rent with the schedule you've put me on, I've voiced my concerns politely in the past and nothing has been done, and I can't be bothered to listen to this lecture unless it ends in me getting paid commensurately with my experience. I have a feeling that's not how this is going to end, so fire me now or let me quit, you greasy oval office".

They fired me.

One bartender and three of the other servers quit immediately after, and I know at least two more that have put in their two weeks. Let the proletariat unite. :)

Sheep-Goats posted:

People sometimes think "Oh I work at an Irish bar now, time to give away drinks and make buddies!" but you still have an owner and manager and your first week is the time to do what they want not what you want.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna be treading lightly. The above paragraphs notwithstanding (I think everybody's got one big gently caress You Moment somewhere in them, and that was mine), I try hard to be acutely conscious of where my boundaries lie, and don't push them until it's apparent that it's okay. I had a friend who got a job at a super-swanky Meatpacking club and proceeded to post on his Facebook "Come by! Free drinks if I know you!"....

Got shitcanned not even 24 hours later.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Sondheim posted:

management took me off bartending to replace me with a 22-year-old former ballet dancer who'd never touched a Boston shaker in her life,

Welcome to bartending

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 18, 2013

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

JawKnee posted:

I've never worked the club scene here, as it doesn't interest me, but I'll tell you what I can based on friends/coworkers. Most of the nightclubs are centered on the downtown core Granville street area, though there are a few other areas (Davie street for the gay clubs, some of the sketchier ones on Main street, and in the last 5 years there are a number of new or renovated clubs down in Gastown, as well as other areas like Commercial drive). Liquor laws are fairly prohibitive here, but beginning to relax in the last year or so. I'm a little shaky on exact hour deadlines, some clubs are open until 3am (but absolutely none later than that), most close a little earlier I think. A lot of club/douchey sportsbar type venues here are owned by the Donnelly Group, which have had a nasty habit of buying up decent independent joints that get popular, keeping the name and otherwise turning them into the same lovely club/bar (eg. Library Square, The Modern (which I believe is now defunct, shock of shocks), The Lamplighter).

Outside of a few niche joints I don't really like the clubbing scene here, too much lovely beer/cocktails and loud terrible music :corsair:

Besides that Vancouver is an expensive city to live in, with little in the way of trades besides a middling tech community, the service industry and a tourism industry bolstered by the mountains, and of course our speculative housing industry; so be prepared to probably spend significantly more on rent than you were in Calgary, unless you were in the downtown core or something. As for the people, it's really a mixed bag in the best (and worst) of ways. Lots of rich yuppies living it up, a fair hipster independent crowd bolstered by two universities, and a somewhat steady stream of tourists (much much better in the summer, obviously, though the winter does have its draw). Also we're a fairly multicultural city, so unless you're stuck in suburban hell somewhere you're going to see all kinds of folks.

Yeah, I'm getting to be a little grey in the beard, so I've been thinking about more long term plans. I think the cash is too good at my current gig to risk it on floating to a club out there where I don't really know anyone, but if stuff relating to my degrees/training crops up, who knows?

Thanks for the answer. Sounds a lot like Calgary's (non-existent) club scene, just replace the Donnely Group with PLE.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.sourtoecocktailclub.com/sourtoe.html

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I knew I'd heard about this somewhere already:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/08/27/mysterious-american-worker-pays-500-to-swallow-toe-at-yukon-bar/

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try

Sondheim posted:

Got fired from my old part-time job last Thursday for calling the new (male) GM a oval office. Turns out there is a certain amount of poo poo which I will refuse to eat for roughly $150/shift. Got about 4 months downtime till my next scheduled theatre gig, and I'm tired of scraping by on server money, so I'm back to slinging drinks if I wanna make enough to live comfortably.

First shift at a Hell's Kitchen Irish bar tomorrow. Here we go.

I know it's a long shot, but anyone work in the neighborhood/an NYC Irish bar/NYC in general and wanna give me some tips on easing back into it? I'm actually kind of nervous, just because this isn't a scene I'm familiar with from this side of the wood (previous experience has been mostly in gay bars, which... well, goes without saying it's a whole different ball game).

I work at a steakhouse in Midtown (at least I hope I do - was ~3 hours late to work yesterday).. I suppose the best way to get hired Bartending is to keep up with openings. Open Calls are are pretty sure way to get picked up; you'll have to suffer through an opening but you won't have to deal with seniority issues.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
What signs should I look for in a successful bar? By that I mean, as I mentioned before, I took the thread's advice accidentally and moved up recently from serving to Bartending at a nice steakhouse in Southern California, and while the money's great (average $120 a night in the slow season, other bartenders say that should get around 150-200 in Winter) I'm sure it can be better at a "real" bar. A friend of mine is pressuring me to move to the beach, and I'm sure there will be no shortage of club/bar type areas for me to sling drinks at. I'm going to wait a few months and build up my skills, but when I do make the jump, what sort of places should I look for?

Keep in mind that unlike some people in this thread, I couldn't be more at home with loud obnoxious club music and making a thousand drinks a night rapid fire while drunk college kids scream in my ear. Sounds like home.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Successful places tend to have people in them.

Bit of a dick answer, but if the place is busy, they're holding special events and are drawing a crowd, that bar is successful. Go and scope out wherever the places are, and get a feel for them.

Two questions for the thread:

What's the worst you've seen drinking/the industry take a toll on someone, physically?

Also, what's your dumbest/stupidest customer ever? Don't have anything really here, but I'm curious if anyone's had any memorable idiot moments.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Perdido posted:

What's the worst you've seen drinking/the industry take a toll on someone, physically?

Also, what's your dumbest/stupidest customer ever? Don't have anything really here, but I'm curious if anyone's had any memorable idiot moments.

While I was working a wedding a dude (who obviously wasn't there for the wedding. I hadn't seen him at all at that point and he was wearing jorts and flops) came up to the bar and asked,

"Hey, man. How do I crash a wedding?... Can I crash this wedding?"

Also somebody asking what's in a rum and coke. She wasn't joking.

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009

Perdido posted:

Apparently my Margarita was "completely undrinkable" because it "tastes like tequila".
Similarly my Mojitos, unforgivably, tasted like they had rum in them.

Only lady asked me to make her a custom cocktail she'd had before but couldn't remember exactly what. Eventually she decided the main ingredients were Baileys, grenadine and fresh lemon.
I warned her it would instantly turn into a red lumpy mess, she insisted, and actually really loved the drink, which was "exactly what she was thinking of!". Not a bad customer by any means but it was so weird to be thanked for making something so horrible.

And for some reason it still surprises me how many people, when asked, want their whisky "neat... with ice".

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Customer stating "It tastes like vodka! :mad: " is much better than customer stating "I can't taste da liquor :mad:" or "This taste like juice :mad:" because those people are horrible.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Off the top of my head the story that jumps to mind about the industry taking a toll on someone, isn't really a drinking story, but still 'industry' I guess.

After 15 years of working for us, our cleaner was diagnosed with cancer - quite possibly from the constant contact with the cheap, cost cutting cleaning chemicals she was provided to work with :tinfoil: - and our piece of poo poo owner fired her and then changed the locks because he was sure she was going to try and exact some sort of crazy revenge. The frail old woman. With cancer.

gently caress that guy forever.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
I like this thread. I've spent most of my adult life living with bartenders for roommates and I've spent a lot of time at the bar as a result. Now, driving cab, I basically work at the bars here a I get to do things like hang out after closing and go to employee parties.

You guys do a job I could never do and I have nothing but respect. I never understood why people are dicks to bartenders- They're the ones who decide whether or not you get to keep drinking. I've been told by most of the bartenders in town that I'm an ideal customer. I always know what I want, I'm patient and I always tip. No one's ever had to cut me off and I'e never, EVER been kicked out of a bar. I would be mortified.

Years ago, when I lived in TN, most of my roommates worked at this place: http://gilligansboro.com/

What is now "Gilligans" (yes, it is island themed) used to be known as Sweetwater, 527, Main street and a few other names. It's a law in TN that when you rename a bar or restaurant, It has to be shut down for 30 days. So here's how their business model worked: Bar changes name, Bar slowly picks up business, Bar gets INSANELY busy, Someone gets stabbed, Bar has to change it's name, Repeat.

I was in there one night hanging out with my roommate on a very slow like tuesday or wednesday night. They were about to do last call around midnight because there were like 2 other customers besides me. Then the bar gets a call "HEY ARE YOU STILL OPEN?" "Yeah, we were about to do last call, though" "I'M THE EVENT MANAGER FOR <insert one of the black fraternities> AND OUR EVENT JUST GOT SHUT DOWN BY THE POLICE. CAN WE MOVE THE PARTY TO YOUR BAR? THERE'S ABOUT 250 HEAD AND WE HAVE OUR OWN SECURITY" "Uh, yeah. Sounds good" "OK WELL BE THERE IN ABOUT HALF AN HOUR"

They frantically started calling all their staff to see who they could get to come into work at loving midnight on a tuesday. Surprisingly, quite a few of them were willing to come in and it was in their best interests that they did. All at once, this fleet of cars, vans and H2 limos roll up. It was nuts. The bar charged like $15 at the door and did an insane amount of sales that night. My roommate ended up making $6-700.

Another thing they used to do right after the name change was "penny beer night", which was every wednesday. You're technically not allowed to give away "free" alcohol in TN so it was $3 cover (later raised to $5 and then $10 as word spread), 1 cent 12oz beer (natty light) until midnight and 50 cent well drinks until 10. After that everything went back up to full price. When midnight rolled around some people would leave but most people were just getting started and would keep buying poo poo beer for $3-$4 a glass until last call at 2:45. It sounds like a proposition where they lose money but I swear everyone came out ahead on penny beer night. They were getting kegs of natty for something like $50/ea from the distributor so making that back was no problem.

I miss drink specials: They don't happen in Alaska. There is no such thing as "happy hour" because any alcohol promotion has to last either a)The entire month or b)Until the supply of whatever runs out, which ever happens first. Not a lot of incentive for the bars to offer discount drinks. They do offer "Mystery Shots" for $1 which is a random bottle of something wrapped up in a paper bag.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I loving haaaaaaaaate cheap draft nights.

We used to do .25, then .50, then .75, then $1 draft nights and they attracted nothing but the cheap college kid crowd.

:downs: *holds up $5 bill* "How many beers can I get with this?"

"....five."

:downs: "Cool! It's all I got!"

Thankfully we don't do them anymore.

Alaska sounds like hell. I thought Alberta was horrible with their liquor laws, but Jesus.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Perdido posted:

Alaska sounds like hell. I thought Alberta was horrible with their liquor laws, but Jesus.

Yeah they're like nowhere else I've ever lived. Drinking up here is expensive. Bottled beer like Bud Light is usually $4 a bottle and pints of good beer are usually $5 - 5.75. Well drinks usually $5 and good mixed drinks $6-$8

Almost universally up here, stuff like LITs are $20 each and it's the last thing they'll serve you all night, as in: you order a LIT, you're done getting served for the evening. Before I knew this, I ordered one and was kind of shocked. I asked the bartender (who ended up being my roommate later) why so expensive? "Are you kidding me? That's a pint glass filled to the brim with like 5 different kinds of booze. I don't trust half of these idiots with one drink at a time, much less 5 at once."

Have any of you guys ever worked in a bar with a bell? As in, "If you ring this, you buy the bar a round"

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
That's pretty lovely. Just because it has 5 different kinds of alcohol in it doesn't make it 5 drinks in one.

LIIT's are pretty lovely anyway, but to charge $20 for it and use that as an excuse is awful.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In some places the word never got out that you're supposed to do just like a half ounce of each of the things in the drink, so they do almost full pours of the liquors into a pint glass with a little sour and coke on top.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Have any of you guys ever worked in a bar with a bell? As in, "If you ring this, you buy the bar a round"

Every bar here has this and the BT's whack it when someone leaves a big tip. I didn't realize it meant other things elsewhere.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

40 OZ posted:

Every bar here has this and the BT's whack it when someone leaves a big tip. I didn't realize it meant other things elsewhere.

The bells here are from the heyday of king crab fishing when everyone would come back to town after making many, many thousands of dollars from crabbing. You ring the bell and you buy everyone sitting at the bar a drink. They don't serve everyone a drink then and there but rather give everyone a drink chip. The bell is kind of a mean thing to do to a room full of drunks and tourists, but it's always clearly marked what with it's for and they enforce the poo poo out of it. If you ring the bell and have no intention of paying, not only is the bartender going to be pissed at you, but so is a whole room full of other customers who thought they were gonna get a free drink.

A few months ago a friend of mine spent $700 in the bar one night because he kept ringing the goddamn bell. He was not pleased with himself in the morning.

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
I happened to score a gig bartending at a new farm to table restaurant here in Madison, WI. I've dabbled in doing craft cocktailing at one of my other jobs, but that job was pretty cake and never got really busy. My only other bartending experience is at a college/towney/divey/PBRhipster bar. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get up to speed doing this stuff fast and doing it well. The eventual goal at the restaurant is to serve higher end late night food till midnight and keep the bar open till bartime, but I'm not really sure how to go about doing this. Most of the work has been done for me (getting all the bartenders in this city excited about the restaurant), but I still need to make awesome drinks.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

40 OZ posted:

We have one and it's used for exactly that. I've never seen another bar around here with one but tons of people seem to think it means last call. When we ring it at 10pm people lose their poo poo and scramble to the bar demanding to know why we're closing so early.

doginapot
Nov 11, 2004
a dog in a pot

blowingupcasinos posted:

I happened to score a gig bartending at a new farm to table restaurant here in Madison, WI. I've dabbled in doing craft cocktailing at one of my other jobs, but that job was pretty cake and never got really busy. My only other bartending experience is at a college/towney/divey/PBRhipster bar. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get up to speed doing this stuff fast and doing it well. The eventual goal at the restaurant is to serve higher end late night food till midnight and keep the bar open till bartime, but I'm not really sure how to go about doing this. Most of the work has been done for me (getting all the bartenders in this city excited about the restaurant), but I still need to make awesome drinks.

Welp, for cocktailing, read old bartending books, get the flavor bible, stir spirits, shake juice, make classics, then swap ingredients (like a mezcal Martinez), and get to know the odd bottles. Eventually it shouldn't matter what a cocktail is, and you'll just make awesome drinks however they need to be made.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

A few months ago a friend of mine spent $700 in the bar one night because he kept ringing the goddamn bell. He was not pleased with himself in the morning.

We have Geronimo's in Roppongi with a bell but the shots are :10bux: each. Makes spending $30K on shots a lot easier:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...o-1225970112349

Rumor is they go through more Cuervo than any bar in the world. 3011 shots is what, like 135L?

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Perdido posted:

Sorry to be a downer in this otherwise great thread, but, I think its worth mentioning..

My friend, fellow waiter, sort of mentor actually died. I think he had had a rough life, but worked his way up to #1 at one of the better spots downtown. He ended up with diabetes, but couldnt stop drinking and it killed him. Probably around 15 years in the industry. He wasn't even 40.

That is a hefty toll. RIP, my friend.

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Drinking is serious business. It didn't help that our bar was pretty famous for getting housed w/ the customers. It happens so slowly that it's hard to blame all the drinking and alcohol, but... definitely helps me keep my poo poo together when my poo poo is starting to unravel.

But it's not all sad. We all acknowledge that Mikey was the party, and we definitely get housed on his birthday every year. I'm sure not as much as Mikey would have. I'm also sure he would rather have it that way.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
The college bar across the street from campus at my school had a bell. It was not marked in any way whatsoever and looks like a fun thing to ring while you're waiting for your drink or burger, but imagine the surprise of all the newly-21 drinkers that wound up buying rounds for everyone. Kind of a dick move really, but par for the course at a state school. This place was also the first I've heard of that did "Bladder Busters" nights where the price of beer pitchers goes up each time someone visits the bathroom. Hur hurr, it's like being lightly hazed bro.

e: I'm sure there are lots of clubs that do bladder busters poo poo but I'm surprised nobody actually got a ruptured kidney and decided to sue or something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Malcolm posted:

e: I'm sure there are lots of clubs that do bladder busters poo poo but I'm surprised nobody actually got a ruptured kidney and decided to sue or something.

I don't think that's a thing that can actually happen. You'd probably just piss yourself before any actual damage happened.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PT6A posted:

I don't think that's a thing that can actually happen. You'd probably just piss yourself before any actual damage happened.

I don't know about beer, but some radio station ran a contest in the last year or so where someone died from drinking water and not urinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't know about beer, but some radio station ran a contest in the last year or so where someone died from drinking water and not urinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Yeah, if that's the same story I'm thinking of, it's really sad. Some woman was participating in the contest (Hold your wee for a Wii!). She died, the radio personalities were fired and the station was successfully sued for wrongful death.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/

In the defense of a bar doing something like this, I'd imagine that you'd probably pass out and then piss yourself if you got that far.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think the suit should have been successful as she had just add much responsibility to know that was a bad idea as the radio station did, but that ain't how it works so whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't think the suit should have been successful as she had just add much responsibility to know that was a bad idea as the radio station did, but that ain't how it works so whatevs.

Not everyone knows that too much water can kill you, hell it happens to hikers occasionally - it seems right that they should be sued for putting her in a dangerous situation without warning, but mostly it's just tragic.

• Locked thread