Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming you've already set up a couple of profiles in Netflix? (the website, not an app)

Have you tried restarting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, if you have multiple profiles set up, the first menu after choosing Netflix is a "who is watching?" screen.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

smackfu posted:

Yeah, if you have multiple profiles set up, the first menu after choosing Netflix is a "who is watching?" screen.

This extra step (also in the iOS app iirc) is what led me to actually get rid of the extra profiles I'd set up. There needs to be a "switch profile" option to use at the appropriate time instead of having to make the choice every drat time. Between this and their so blatantly bungled website redesign (which they have yet to fix and it's been more than a year now, right?) I don't think Netflix actually does any kind of usability testing ever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any word on plex connect?
[Ed] interesting, I get errors when I try to even hunt for the update. I wonder if the plex connect profile blocks it...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 21, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Any word on plex connect?
[Ed] interesting, I get errors when I try to even hunt for the update. I wonder if the plex connect profile blocks it...

Yes. The DNS re-route blocks the update. And according to a quick google search it does indeed work with the new release.

Time to update!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

Yes. The DNS re-route blocks the update. And according to a quick google search it does indeed work with the new release.

Time to update!

Not to be all helpless child here, but are there step-by-steps for those who are blocked?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Thwomp posted:

I'm assuming you've already set up a couple of profiles in Netflix? (the website, not an app)

Have you tried restarting?

Oh okay, I thought it would let me set multiple profiles wherever. I did set my own on the site, guess I'll add another there and see what happens.

Edit: it worked. Wow, I'm dumb. Thanks guys.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 22, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Not to be all helpless child here, but are there step-by-steps for those who are blocked?

Just change your DNS back to whatever it was (or use google's DNS: 8.8.8.8) then do the Update Software under General.

Takes about 20 minutes or so.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is this the place to go if you have questions about watching Netflix on IPtv? I'm in Canada and have been trying to puzzle out some stuff regarding Netflix all night, I couldn't find a Netflix topic anywhere on SA bar a one about movies people are watching in Cinema Discusso, and I had a few things I'd like to ask about. Am I dumb and missed a topic somewhere?

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I ran the update and it messed up my aTV and stuck it in recovery mode. Managed to restore it from iTunes and reset everything (also got to use that awesome 'tap iPhone against aTV to set up' feature!), but I can't say I'm impressed with the smoothness of installing such a minor update.

Edit: vvvv Looks like I'm not the only one, :hf: buddy. Micro USB (used by the Kindle, most (all?) Android/Windows Phones, some external HDs and may other things). I had to unplug the power on mine after restoring for it to stop blinking and tell me to connect it to iTunes.

Magic Mango fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 22, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
My update messed up and it wants me to plug it into iTunes. What cable does it need?

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

101 posted:

My update messed up and it wants me to plug it into iTunes. What cable does it need?
It's just a MicroUSB cable isn't it? Should be the same cable as a Kindle if you have one of those.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Lots of folks (even non plex connect dudes) getting that problem. I may just wait for the next incremental bump...

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Apple pulled the update from OTA last night apparently because of many reports of bricked ATV's.

Sad. One of my two went flawlessly and the one hooked to the home theater can't update so no itunes radio.

Guess I'll just airplay. :)

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Feenix posted:

Lots of folks (even non plex connect dudes) getting that problem. I may just wait for the next incremental bump...

I didn't have Plex set up on mine. It works fine now, but there was clearly something wrong with the update process. Weird that they didn't catch it during the beta.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Voodoo posted:

It's just a MicroUSB cable isn't it? Should be the same cable as a Kindle if you have one of those.

So it is, cheers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is this the place to go if you have questions about watching Netflix on IPtv? I'm in Canada and have been trying to puzzle out some stuff regarding Netflix all night, I couldn't find a Netflix topic anywhere on SA bar a one about movies people are watching in Cinema Discusso, and I had a few things I'd like to ask about. Am I dumb and missed a topic somewhere?

What are your questions? If it's about other countries' netflix, I think the current recommendation is unblock-us.com.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One of mine hung on the update. I found something online that said just point the remote at it and press play and the menu button at the same time. It reset the box and all is good.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
6.0 is back online to update with.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If we successfully installed it the first go round, is there a patch or anything?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dogen posted:

If we successfully installed it the first go round, is there a patch or anything?

Yes. Even though they're both listed as 6.0, the new version is different somehow.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

6.0 is back online to update with.

So just change in network settings on the ATV where the DNS points, update, then change back to the altered plex DNS, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mediaphage posted:

What are your questions? If it's about other countries' netflix, I think the current recommendation is unblock-us.com.

Yeah that was basically my question. I was trying to set up Netflix for my mom and I followed some online instructions but all that ended up happening was I became unable to connect to Netflix while the internet seemed to work fine for other stuff.

(I double and triple-checked the rules over this, I'm still not sure and I should probably ask to clarify before I bury myself any deeper, does it constitute :filez: to ask about getting different Netflix libraries?)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

(I double and triple-checked the rules over this, I'm still not sure and I should probably ask to clarify before I bury myself any deeper, does it constitute :filez: to ask about getting different Netflix libraries?)
Probably not because everybody does it and Netflix clearly doesn't give a poo poo (if you log in to the website from a "new" region it tells you to expect the library to be different.) I've used unblock-us.com for ages without issue, and the way it is now they've made it super easy to switch regions (it's now very prominently on the front of the website.)

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

So just change in network settings on the ATV where the DNS points, update, then change back to the altered plex DNS, right?

Correct, yes. So in my case, I changed by 192.168.xxx.xxx address to 4.2.2.2 (or you can use 8.8.8.8 - whatever floats your toboggan) did the update, then after the 20 minute process, switched it back and went back into Plex.

Was nice this morning listening to iTunes Radio :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

Correct, yes. So in my case, I changed by 192.168.xxx.xxx address to 4.2.2.2 (or you can use 8.8.8.8 - whatever floats your toboggan) did the update, then after the 20 minute process, switched it back and went back into Plex.

Was nice this morning listening to iTunes Radio :)

Thanks for the confirmation. I assumed so and did it last night sbyway. Total cakewalk.

Appreciate the help! Speaking of... I pm'ed you a while back with my log after plex stopped working. Did you ever get a chance to look at that PM?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Thanks for the confirmation. I assumed so and did it last night sbyway. Total cakewalk.

Appreciate the help! Speaking of... I pm'ed you a while back with my log after plex stopped working. Did you ever get a chance to look at that PM?

Sorry I missed that - just looked and sadly it doesn't tell me anything except your network looks okay. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

Sorry I missed that - just looked and sadly it doesn't tell me anything except your network looks okay. :(

That's still helpful to know! Thanks. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I think I'm going to take the plunge and update my 4.2.whatever ATV2 to 6.0, and make use of PlexConnect. However, knowing that the jailbreak and non-Plexconnect options for 6.0 are pretty much jack and squat... is there any way for me to do the upgrade such that I can revert back to the current OS image?

Looks like seas0npass will let me back it up.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 26, 2013

gregday
May 23, 2003

There's another content update today, this time adding Major League Soccer and Disney Junior.

These silent updates always creep me out a little.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I'm not crazy, those weren't there last night when I was turning off channels I'll never use.

A few random tips for anyone switching to Plexconnect:

*The iPhone Configuration tool (the one you use to load the self-generated cert for trailers.apple.com onto the ATV2) won't work unless you've completed the initial setup on the ATV2.
*It is possible to install two certs for trailers.apple.com on the PC you're using to do this, and have the configuration tool install the wrong cert (that doesn't match your server) :downs:
*If it seems like everything is going slower than poo poo on the ATV2, reboot it and try again. I was having massive timeouts going to anywhere (Netflix, Plexconnect, etc) until I pulled the power on the ATV2 and let it reboot. Worked perfectly as soon as I did that.
*Tinyumbrella will let you back up your existing ATV2 firmware without having to enter DFU mode, which is handy if you lost your silver remote :doh:

That said I don't think I see any reason to go back.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Netflix posted:

All Netflix members, regardless of their Internet service provider (ISP), now have access to the highest quality HD streams available on Netflix.

This means that the great TV shows and movies on Netflix will look even better on HD screens with a higher bit rate stream, Super HD, that applies less compression to the 1080p image.

Apple TV shows a [Super HD] icon on all shows that support it. Watching Portlandia and it's noticeably better. Took a while to kick in though.

Edit: On Time Warner Cable. Didn't have it before.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
drat, now my generation 2 ATV is looking kinda old. All I use it for is Netflix anyway.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is an excellent, well-written account of "How did Blackberry lose 75 billion? and the lead in the smartphone wars?"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-inside-story-of-why-blackberry-is-failing/article14563602/?page=all

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

This is an excellent, well-written account of "How did Blackberry lose 75 billion? and the lead in the smartphone wars?"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-inside-story-of-why-blackberry-is-failing/article14563602/?page=all

Did you miss your thread target for posting? :)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kenderama posted:

Did you miss your thread target for posting? :)

I loving did, sorry guys, misclick + sudden phone call :negative:

It's still a great article!

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Would it be silly to buy an Apple TV now with the event being next week? I've not heard anything on the Apple TV front.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

captain wheeto posted:

Would it be silly to buy an Apple TV now with the event being next week? I've not heard anything on the Apple TV front.

Obviously rumors are just rumors and are constantly wrong, especially for TV related stuff, but the event is supposedly this month. Not a long time to wait to make sure.

All that said, it's only $99 and you have 14 days to return it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

captain wheeto posted:

Personally I'd wait for the event. Either they announce a new AppleTV, and you get that, or they don't and all you did was wait an extra 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
ATV updated to 6.0.1. Not sure what the implications are yet. Just FYI.

• Locked thread