Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's currently free. Normally the base game is $4.

Getting all the characters + areas is around $50 or so. Even 15-20 for just the levels and no characters is insane and the reason it (rightfully) gets hate from people.

Well yeah, I noted that in my original post. The game is free now, and you don't need to really buy anything because the premium characters/worlds aren't really that worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
Honestly, a version of ATB that turns it into Progress Quest would be pretty cool. You get the ability to switch around your party/classes and just check in on their grinding every few hours, would be entertaining.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
ATB is sad because its a huge iap cashgrab but you can also tell that it was made by people who actually like final fantasy games and it has a lot of great little spritework. The descriptions in the catalogue are humorous and it has some neat throwbacks but the huge overall cost and randomness of premium characters kills it. I threw a couple bucks at premiums because I'm a sucker for snes style sprites, I was pleasantly surprised to see that bartz's attack is him doing a dual-weild flaresword rapidfire.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
With the news of Curtain Call, I decided to finally pick up Theathrhythm and boy is it great so far. I find it extremely charming in just how earnest it is in celebrating Final Fantasy and its music that it made me think that maybe every game is the best game in the series. Dark notes are a cool idea, but would only shine with a greater selection of songs. Does it factor in the DLC songs? Good thing I still have the $30 from the SMTIV promo because rhythm games are my drug.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Lessail posted:

Dark notes are a cool idea, but would only shine with a greater selection of songs. Does it factor in the DLC songs?

Dark Notes only use a selection of a static ten FMS and ten BMS songs, some repeated from Series Mode and some exclusive to the Chaos Shrine (or repurposed, as is the case with Vana'diel March). The Movement number of a Dark Note indicates which tracks are contained, first digit being the FMS track and second digit BMS.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Renoistic posted:

I love things like this because it really highlights how that outfit was made just for Yuna. It simply looks wrong on Lightning, even if it's one of the better outfits we've seen so far.

Hey, the tips of those sleeve thingies match her hair color. Total fit. :colbert: It was pretty cool, though, to see her block Noel's attack with the summoner staff like it was nothing at all.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I am irrationally upset that Lightning didn't crack a smile when the moogles were mobbing her. How can you be so emotionless when so much adorable is rushing at you?

She cracks a smile during her victory pose in Yuna's outfit, and it kind of took me by surprise.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sunning posted:

Don't look like what you expected as in "We're so sorry for taking so long to make this game. In the time it will take to make FFXV, Naughty Dog would have have made four games with metacritic scores comprised of 88, 92, 95 and 96 and total sales of over 18 million. We can assure you that FFXV will be better than all those games combined. It will have a metascore of over 370.00% and sales of over 18 million. Wait, the game will be multiplatform so make it 36 million sales which the Assassin's Creed games accomplished in a fraction of our development cycle. Otherwise, the last eight years of our lives would be completely worthless because we're utterly incompetent when it comes to project management of big budget HD games. I promise you that the game's development is completely fine. We are in no way masquerading a hastily developed tech demo with up-rezzed assests and pre-rendered scenes in order to save face and appease an increasingly unhappy fanbase. Don't feel that we're trying to dupe you by only showing a handful of videos for a non-playable game that has been in development for nearly a decade. Please be excited!"

Hey you don't know that! It's not like this happened before! Certainly not within a compilation that has a roman numeral!

But yeah, I am decidedly :colbert: about LR. SE always make pretty trailers. Their games are pretty if nothing else, that's a given. They'll have to do something really cool to really win me over. I've ridden the Sonic cycle with XIII once already. So far this is just the latest thing the Fabula Sunc-costa Fallacy is coming up with in a desperate bid to justify all these years of development.

Like I am getting less hype with every trailer to be frank.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Like I am getting less hype with every trailer to be frank.

It could be worse, they could dripfeed us fewer than one new trailer per year, with most of them just being a recut trailer with a few seconds of new footage.

XV's TGS trailer is just the two E3 trailers mashed together with less than five seconds of new footage. I mean, I can't be bothered to watch all these Lightning Returns trailers, but at least they're giving us lots of evidence of what the game's going to be like, and not just vague promises.

E: I guess I only watched one XIII-2 trailer, and it wasn't too different from the demo I played a few months before it released. The problem was that anything that made the game enjoyable was stripped away as you progressed through the game.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 22, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

XV's TGS trailer is just the two E3 trailers mashed together with less than five seconds of new footage. I mean, I can't be bothered to watch all these Lightning Returns trailers, but at least they're giving us lots of evidence of what the game's going to be like, and not just vague promises.

Are they really though? I mean compared to the original XIII and XV, sure. But XIII-2 seemed to go in the same direction, and the game was a very different beast compared to what the trailers promised. After reading Sunning's excellent posts, I have no reason to assume what happened with XIII-2 won't happen with LR.
Granted they at least show what missions and battles are like, but I still remain dubious.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

SSNeoman posted:

Are they really though? I mean compared to the original XIII and XV, sure. But XIII-2 seemed to go in the same direction, and the game was a very different beast compared to what the trailers promised. After reading Sunning's excellent posts, I have no reason to assume what happened with XIII-2 won't happen with LR.

Which XIII-2 trailers were deceptive?

Winks fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 22, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SSNeoman posted:

Granted they at least show what missions and battles are like, but I still remain dubious.

Plus, LR is basically finished (Doesn't it hit stores in Nov for japan?) where as FFXV, as it is now, it still in its infancy. I'm not shock they're stayin pretty tight lipped at the moment.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Winks posted:

Which XIII-2 trailers were deceptive?

Well let's take this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_83w3vJd-k

They did the usual thing SE always does: made the game seem much more dynamic and fast-paced than it actually is. That's a given and I am not going to dwell on this point.
However, they also do a sneaky loving thing: They introduce characters who tie into the previous game, making them seem like they have a large role in the story, when in reality they are only in one, maybe two cutscenes. In particular, it shows the ending of XIII. It focuses on the characters. Hey you remember these guys! We haven't forgotten about them! Look how the camera pans over everybody! They are totally going to be important in this game! They weren't. Except for maybe Hope.
It even shows Sarah and Snowe! Hey, we remembered these two were married! We're totally gonna bring that up and not forget about it as we are Good Writers! After all, having two characters who are in love an married to each other should be an important loving point, no? We agree! We even put it in the trailer! In the game this is mentioned in the beginning and then completely forgotten.
And of course there are the bosses. They give the impression that those QTE finishers will be an important part for boss fights throughout the game, to make them seem more cinematic. Those are common in the beginning, but basically disappear until the end of the game.
The trailer shows off a variety of locales. Never mentioning that we are going to reuse these locales constantly.
The trailer makes Feral Links seem better than they actually are. In reality only like 3 of them are any good. And they are mostly support.
The trailer doesn't show the absolutely disproportionate amount of time they spend on Yeul and Caius, especially compared to the other characters.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 22, 2013

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I don't know what to tell you. The combat is exactly the same as in the final product, a version of the ending cutscene from XIII is actually in XIII-2, nothing about Snow was cut in the final product vs the trailer, there are only 5 'cinematic bonuses' in the entire game: 2 in episode 2, 1 in ep3, and 2 in ep4, and so forth. I think you're grasping, honestly.

Winks fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 22, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, the trailer might not represent the game exactly, but I think it did a pretty good job of summing up the only parts of the game that actually matter as far as the plot goes. No trailer ever shows off the boring, tedious backtracking you have to do, so that game is not unique in that regard.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Winks posted:

I don't know what to tell you. The combat is exactly the same as in the final product, a version of the ending cutscene from XIII is actually in XIII-2, nothing about Snow was cut in the final product vs the trailer, there are only 5 'cinematic bonuses' in the entire game: 2 in episode 2, 1 in ep3, and 2 in ep4, and so forth. I think you're grasping, honestly.

I suppose you can argue that about the combat sure.
And yes, I know a version of XIII's ending is in XIII-2, that wasn't my point. My point was that the trailer made it look like it as going to continue their stories of the gang in XIII and it really didn't. Instead it focused almost exclusively on Caius and whatherface while brushing all the characters to the side.
Hope got a decent role in it, okay. Although it would be easy for the average person to forget he's saving the loving moon's population from certain death with his invention as the story doesn't give him the time of day.
Lightning got treated like a messiah because Etro, Paradoxes, etc...And this isn't focusing on the character, this is just shilling.
Sazh got a DLC, which is fun enough to make you forget how little of the story he makes an impact on.
Snow got the shaft here. He should have been the most important character in the game next to Lightning. He's Sarah's husband for gently caress's sake. Instead he appears in a flashback, in tomato land and in the best non-canon ending. No, nothing about him was cut. There was nothing to cut.

An five cinematic bonuses over how many hours of gameplay? Seriously 5 of them is a joke.

As for am I grasping? Well maybe. I admit this may be an issue with XIII-2's story but the trailer ends up misrepresenting the game because of it.

All I'm saying is don't be surprised to see Lightning, The Saviour, get brushed off to the side while Sarah's ghost goes into long-winded narrations about Chaos and other metaphysical crap.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Almost no one cares about the story of XIII and any of its' meta-media besides maybe Lightning fans in Japan and there's no reason to have any different expectations story-wise for Lightning Returns, the best to hope for is that the gameplay turns out okay this time, and it actually looks pretty fun from what we've seen of gameplay videos.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure there are people in this thread who contradict you by being way into the story of FFXIII.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Pretty sure there are people in this thread who contradict you by being way into the story of FFXIII.

Rule of the internet: you can find one or two people who care about ANYTHING, no matter how bad it is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Defiance Industries posted:

Rule of the internet: you can find one or two people who care about ANYTHING, no matter how bad it is.

FF8 is a good example of this as well. Some people think it's a good game when you are doing something other than playing Triple Triad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So is there a general jRPG thread or should I pitch my Valkyrie Profile questions here?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So is there a general jRPG thread or should I pitch my Valkyrie Profile questions here?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF8 is a good example of this as well. Some people think it's a good game when you are doing something other than playing Triple Triad.

And even Triple Triad has its problems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

And even Triple Triad has its problems.

Like the fact that its not part of the plot of FFVIII. If the main story had been that Ultemecia is a witch who is merging all space and time to play the greatest masters of Triple Triad from all history and Squall Lionheart is a plucky teen going to the CarD academy who believes in the heart of the cards I would probably without irony defend it as the best FF story.

Edit: In this version Eyes on Me isn't a love song but rather his grandiose and self-aggrandize rap track about how nobody can look away when he plays card games.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Like the fact that its not part of the plot of FFVIII. If the main story had been that Ultemecia is a witch who is merging all space and time to play the greatest masters of Triple Triad from all history and Squall Lionheart is a plucky teen going to the CarD academy who believes in the heart of the cards I would probably without irony defend it as the best FF story.

Edit: In this version Eyes on Me isn't a love song but rather his grandiose and self-aggrandize rap track about how nobody can look away when he plays card games.

I...I think I might love this idea more than anything else FF related ever

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Barudak posted:

I would play the poo poo out of Final Fantasy mixed with Yu-Gi-Oh.

Or better yet, Final Fantasy mixed with Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku.

And I like FF8. The backgrounds and setting is cool, the summons are hella neat and Deep Sea Research lab is one of my favourite optional dungeons ever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Finally finished FF13. gently caress the haters. I enjoyed the hell out of that game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has there been any talk on if the super special FF13-3 special edition has any chance of releasing state side?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Mordiceius posted:

Finally finished FF13. gently caress the haters. I enjoyed the hell out of that game.

Yeah, there's a pretty vocal amount of hate for it here but there's a few of us that really enjoy the games for what they're worth. (Not much, but not nearly as bad as many make it out to be.)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This may surprise you but the story is why the majority of Final Fantasy fans play these games. If you ask any nostalgia-fueled gamer about past Final Fantasy games they usually cite the story as being their favorite part. I just can't imagine anyone that puts up with these games because they just loving LOVE the battle system.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Defiance Industries posted:

I sort of care, in that I like to try and figure out what the gently caress is going on in the story. It's like JRPG Ulysses (in terms of opacity, not quality), and I have a bizarre affection for it. They clearly put a lot of time and effort into the setting and the backstory, just not as much into actually making it understandable for any sort of casual consumer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'm playing it for the second time right now trying to 1000/1000 it (I won't. I'll give up griding trapozehedrons or refighting the missions for 5 stars) and I completely agree. Its held my interest better than FF6 even with a story that actively seeks to undermine itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This may surprise you but the story is why the majority of Final Fantasy fans play these games. If you ask any nostalgia-fueled gamer about past Final Fantasy games they usually cite the story as being their favorite part. I just can't imagine anyone that puts up with these games because they just loving LOVE the battle system.

Man, I would never have said I played a FF just for the story. Even the older FF games I like are games I like because of characters more than the story. I grew up with PC games so maybe that colors it for me, but I would never have played a Final Fantasy just for its story.

And to be honest I find the FF combat systems to be the thing that holds my interest. They're not very good but they're interesting to take apart because they're so simple and casual and you can finish any game at low levels with no grinding. The ones I've enjoyed the least (FFVIII, FFII) are the ones where breaking the system isn't even interesting because of how easy it is AND where I hate all the characters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Barudak posted:

I'm playing it for the second time right now trying to 1000/1000 it (I won't. I'll give up griding trapozehedrons or refighting the missions for 5 stars) and I completely agree. Its held my interest better than FF6 even with a story that actively seeks to undermine itself.

I'm going to go for 1000/1000 and see if I can do it.

I got FF13 when it came out but only played up until I think Chapter 9 Where you are breaking into the prison ship, but I got distracted with some other games and never went back to it. I started over a few weeks ago with my wife watching because she was curious. She would work on studying for classes during long battle sequences but would always watch during cutscenes, so I was only really able to play when she was around (unless doing some random farming). Only took about a month to beat it that way. Now I'm free to go see all the side poo poo. I spent a good few hours farming on Gran Pulse in during chapter 11, so all my characters had maxxed out crystalarium in the final battle, which I found surprisingly easy to 5-star. I've heard that the trap farming is soul crushing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I would never have said I played a FF just for the story. Even the older FF games I like are games I like because of characters more than the story. I grew up with PC games so maybe that colors it for me, but I would never have played a Final Fantasy just for its story.

We may have different definitions here but I consider the characters to be part of the story.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

We may have different definitions here but I consider the characters to be part of the story.

That has always been my thought as well.

On FF13, I actually found it interesting that FF13 was one of the first games where I actually REALLY liked every one of the six main characters. Now FF12 and FF13-2 are the only two FF games I haven't beat, but I have 13-2 sitting here waiting for me. I actually bought that on release day but never even opened it since I was waiting to go back and go through 13. I never plan on going back to 12. I just couldn't loving stand Vaan and Penelo.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

As someone who got all the Final Fantasy XIII achievements, maybe I'm not the best suited to say this, but don't. Just don't.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I never plan on going back to 12. I just couldn't loving stand Vaan and Penelo.

Would it help if I told you they end up completely ignored a couple hours into the game? Vaan gets some throwaway lines and a scene near the end, for the most part it's "Balthier the leading man and his strange friend help a princess gently caress things up," the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Would it help if I told you they end up completely ignored a couple hours into the game? Vaan gets some throwaway lines and a scene near the end, for the most part it's "Balthier the leading man and his strange friend help a princess gently caress things up," the game.

He gets a few more lines; honestly the game mostly forgets anyone except Ashe exists around the time you go to Archades. While I appreciate the scope and world that FFXII inhabits the plot and its attendant characterization is pretty bad. I mean, hell the guy whose the logo of the of the game is effectively a joke fight for how easy he is the first time and doesn't really do a whole lot in the game.

Play IZJS though. Its just roughly a million times better than vanilla and makes playing vanilla FFXII meaningless. Without it FFXII is more of a hot mess than it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

I can understand someone making a semi-blind buy of XIII with the hope that it would have a lot of story content like past Final Fantasies, but man, I can't imagine someone doing that for XIII-2 or Lightning Returns unless they're the types that practically inject themselves with anime on a daily basis. My belief was that people are buying them in the hopes they'd do something with XIII's largely-experimental battle system (which they did, at the very least).