Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Well, I have some grenades, probably better to use those to bust the wall. Really, the problem is that it's going to be big as all gently caress so I don't WANT to build it outside - I can work without interruptions inside the garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Private Speech posted:

Try to download and compile the latest Master branch from github? I'm not sure if there were any fixes relating to firearms, but I vaguely remember seeing something like that in the changelog.
That's what I did, so if there's any change to the combat balance it's in the latest revision as well. It's really, really obvious, though. I can chop down zombies left and right with a melee weapon, but even with wizarded skills I can barely shoot one standing right besides me. Something is off with that.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Jesus. I just got around to playing a bit with the city size slider. I set it from 4 to 8. This is the result:

(click for big)

I think I may have overdone it ever so slightly. :catstare:

If there's similarly sized or bigger 'empty' areas between huge cities, as well as smaller cities, that'd make a pretty cool setup.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Felime posted:

If there's similarly sized or bigger 'empty' areas between huge cities, as well as smaller cities, that'd make a pretty cool setup.

I played with it some on 8 too and it felt like it was just crowding out the wilderness to me so I set it back to 4.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Why is the cold I caught lasting literally forever. :smith:

Its been ten days and I've still got it. I spend most of my time eating and sleeping and I'm always dead tired/exhausted because my character keeps loving coughing in their sleep and the medications dont do anything to stop that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cardiovorax posted:

That's what I did, so if there's any change to the combat balance it's in the latest revision as well. It's really, really obvious, though. I can chop down zombies left and right with a melee weapon, but even with wizarded skills I can barely shoot one standing right besides me. Something is off with that.

Are you waiting for the recoil to dissipate then? Because I'm definitely not seeing this on latest Master. A default character (8 perception, 8 dexterity, 0 skill) with a Glock and some ammo managed to take down 6 zombies in a row without a scratch. And after I gave him firearms 6 and handguns 5 he took down a master zombie, bear, hulk, spitter, shocker, grabber and a soldier ant with the same gear (of course not all at once).

Sure it's not all "blammo! headshot! head explodes" it used to be back in the last whales version, but considering how much safer you are when you don't have to stand right next to enemies to do damage I don't really see the issue with that.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Its been ten days and I've still got it. I spend most of my time eating and sleeping and I'm always dead tired/exhausted because my character keeps loving coughing in their sleep and the medications dont do anything to stop that.

Dayquil/Nyquil got rid of the side effects for a time in earlier builds, do they not do it now?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

Dayquil/Nyquil got rid of the side effects for a time in earlier builds, do they not do it now?

Oddly enough, I don't have any stat loss from the disease. Its purely manifested by making my guy cough forever and be stuck now in exhausted state forever.

"You have not slept in 2 days!" messages flying in my face immediately after waking up. And its not insomnia or anything, he's just not getting energy back at all.

e: vvv Oh well that explains it. God drat instant cold killed too many good hobos as it is. I'd hate to lose this guy that managed to kick his habit and find a rapier.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 22, 2013

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Are you coming off of a drug addiction? There's a bug in the current version where withdrawal tanks your health down to multiple negative hundreds so that you'll get a new disease as soon as the last one ends.

Health will take a long time to naturally recover. My hobo's had a cold/flu for about a season and a half at this point.

If you just want it fixed, turn on debug messages till you get an update about your current health, then cheat in enough flu shots to bring your health back to 0.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So uhh, don't use explosive slugs. They apparently just fall right ouf of your gun. Just lost a real promising run from it. :smith:

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
I wish this game had a better underground map system. It's really easy to get lost in every underground area because there aren't any landmarks you can orient yourself with.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Looking at the gfx folder, 0.8 seems to have 3 different tilesets packaged. Do anyone know how to switch between them?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Doug Lombardi posted:

I wish this game had a better underground map system. It's really easy to get lost in every underground area because there aren't any landmarks you can orient yourself with.

I do too. I don't mind busting out the graph paper and playing cartographer, but it's always disappointing when I decide to start a new world and I'm left with a stack of useless maps.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Spaceking posted:

Looking at the gfx folder, 0.8 seems to have 3 different tilesets packaged. Do anyone know how to switch between them?

Okay, I searched around and it involves editing the gfx.txt. So far it seems to only support 2 tilesets at a time.

Deon's tileset (default):

#Until multiple tilesets are implemented, there should only ever be these two entries
#in this file.

#Paths to Deon's tileset: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json & /deontiles.png
#Paths to Hoder's tileset: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json & /hodertiles.png

#DEON's TILESET
#JSON Path - Default of gfx/tile_config.json
JSON: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json
#Tileset Path - Default of gfx/tinytile.png
TILESET: gfx/DeonTileset/deontiles.png

#HODER'S TILESET -- Commented out
#JSON: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json
#TILESET: gfx/HoderTileset/hodertiles.png

Hoder'sTileset:

#Until multiple tilesets are implemented, there should only ever be these two entries
#in this file.

#Paths to Deon's tileset: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json & /deontiles.png
#Paths to Hoder's tileset: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json & /hodertiles.png

#DEON's TILESET
#JSON: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json
#TILESET: gfx/DeonTileset/deontiles.png

#HODER'S TILESET -- Commented out
JSON: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json
TILESET: gfx/HoderTileset/hodertiles.png

------

I still prefer ASCII but Hoder has the nicer tilset.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 22, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Private Speech posted:

Are you waiting for the recoil to dissipate then? Because I'm definitely not seeing this on latest Master. A default character (8 perception, 8 dexterity, 0 skill) with a Glock and some ammo managed to take down 6 zombies in a row without a scratch. And after I gave him firearms 6 and handguns 5 he took down a master zombie, bear, hulk, spitter, shocker, grabber and a soldier ant with the same gear (of course not all at once).

Sure it's not all "blammo! headshot! head explodes" it used to be back in the last whales version, but considering how much safer you are when you don't have to stand right next to enemies to do damage I don't really see the issue with that.
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even think of that because recoil used to be so unimportant. I tried it now and it really makes a difference. I can actually hit things twice in a row now, which is definitely an improvement.

Still, at 12/12 firearms/rifle skill I kind of want to be able to make heads go boom consistently. :smith:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even think of that because recoil used to be so unimportant. I tried it now and it really makes a difference. I can actually hit things twice in a row now, which is definitely an improvement.

Still, at 12/12 firearms/rifle skill I kind of want to be able to make heads go boom consistently. :smith:

It's an SMG, but keep an eye out for a TDI Vector. It has the best default recoil compensation in the game, so you can blast away in semi-auto all day with that thing without the recoil indicator even popping up. The H&K MP7 is also really good.

For rifles the Savage 111F has the best compensation, but a crap ammo capacity. It's .308 though, so whatever you hit is going to feel it. The Steyr AUG will be probably your best bet, it's capable of automatic fire, chambered for .223 which tends to be a little more common than .308, and has a 30 round magazine.

Unfortunately, excluding the Savage 111F, all of these weapons are fairly rare.

EDIT: There's also .22 rifles which are great for plunking away at most zombies, but trying to use them against almost anything else will probably get you killed.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 22, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The laser pistol seems to have zero recoil, though the damage isn't amazing and you'll need a UPS to use it.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Wild T posted:

The laser pistol seems to have zero recoil

Well it makes sense since lasers aren't bullets.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Archery is also pretty good and recoilless as long as you put enough effort into it - heavy wood arrows require 5 fabrication and archery, but they have a dispersion of 4 and only weigh about half a pound more than ordinary wooden arrows. They're only a couple points lower than metal arrows in damage/range/etc. so bang-to-buck ratio is very nice. Plus you can craft them without having to find any special tools.

e: the curious should know that I have come around on this due to finding hardcore and archery go together quite nicely - high risk, but the reward is being able to raid towns with nigh impunity as long as you always remember you are less than 30 points of damage away from death at all times.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 22, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't mind the recoil in principle, I just wasn't aware of how important it had become since version 0.6. To-hit chance and ability to crit still seem a lot lower than they used to be at high skill levels, but at least it's playable.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah recoil is super important now, and you should always check the indicator before you try shooting because you can get recoil from other things than shooting! Reloading and driving while shooting give medium amounts of recoil since it's the general "make you worse at shooting" stat.

Also cars will explode now if you ram into something too hard, which I just learned by smashing my car into some wreckage at 100 mph. The resulting fireball threw me from the car since I never bothered to make sure it actually had a seatbelt and I died on impact with the wall. The fireball took out a lot of zombies though!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
So thanks to run ins with various sources of mutagens, I've gone from a hallucinating naked recovering alcoholic hobo to a slimy rat-bug-man-freak in surplus military gear zipping down the road with a shopping cart and one shotting bears with nipponese steel. Its not really the direction I was expecting this game to go but I'm still on board with it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
:siren: Breaking GDA News! :siren:
Due to the massive changes to the code base and balance I'm starting over!

The feature suggestion form has been reset!

Feel free to suggest brand new stuff for me to add, if you suggested something before that didn't get implemented and is still a problem feel free to resubmit.

Fill this out: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19yPWYabJaKwv-FIGv5YSE4tcYZVRKMkjbI8dzA7yu68/viewform

Already submitted ideas: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AncNp4c6stYIdExxRzRpODVzSlF1c05xWUxIdmZnMkE&usp=sharing

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
This is neither small-scale nor well-developed enough to really work as a 'suggestion,' but I almost feel like the game could use some kind of perks system. It kinda-sorta has it with the traits, except that you have to pick those right at the beginning, and the scale of them is pretty limited, and they're in direct competition with skills and stats. If you could acquire metaphysical abilities in play (maybe after killing some number of zombies, the number required increasing each time?), it would add to the feel of developing your character along distinctly-chosen lines. Stuff like "enemies are treated as two tiles closer for the purposes of ranged attacks," or "encumbrance for an article of clothing reduced by one if it's greater than two," or "chance of addiction halved" - and they could have clever names, of course, but stuff like that, minor but useful benefits.

Of course, this would also make characters stronger, which is why there also needs to be more in the way of late-game challenges.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
A perk system could be fun, but really the existing mutation and bionics system fulfill the same sort of role (though each carry their own risks). It makes it more gratifying to find a bionic that lets me plate my face with supersteel and run around like Doctor Doom*, as opposed to just grinding up to an arbitrary number of times being hit in the face before I get tougher.

*Alloy Plating - Head should have a bonus headbutt attack. You've got a chrome dome, may as well put it to use!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
The existing mutation and bionic systems really, really encourage savescumming, because of how random they are. You can search a dozen military bunkers before you find the bionic that you're looking for, and even when you do, there's a thirty percent chance that you'll blow the installation. Mutations are similarly a crapshoot, with a very good chance of screwing yourself over every time you drink a canister of weird ooze. They don't really fulfill 'progression' in the same way that perks would, unless you deliberately go against the way they're meant to be used by saving before you use them.

edit: What is the deal with skewers? The recipe for fire sticks calls for them, as does 'smoked meat,' and contextually it seems like it should be nothing more than a simple wooden, well, skewer, that should be easy to make. But there doesn't seem to be a recipe to make it, and I don't think I've ever actually seen one.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 23, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Well if you particularly want a specific mutation you can just wizard mode it and give yourself whatever mutations you want. I don't really get the feeling that mutations are really supposed to be a progression thing because they don't necessarily make your character better, just different. There are a few Mutations that are only positive like long tail or feathers or something but those have really high visibility which is going to be a big negative when NPCs are actually fleshed out. Honestly the mutations being random is a good thing because if you had perks which were better/as good as mutations but had no downsides, you would never wind up with any negative traits ever.

Also the game kinda encourages savescumming as it is what with the nature of having permadeath. If you are going to reset and reload because you botched an implant you are probably going to reset and reload if you die in acid rain.

Strudel Man posted:

edit: What is the deal with skewers? The recipe for fire sticks calls for them, as does 'smoked meat,' and contextually it seems like it should be nothing more than a simple wooden, well, skewer, that should be easy to make. But there doesn't seem to be a recipe to make it, and I don't think I've ever actually seen one.

Skewers are like rags but made out of wood. 'a'pply a bladed object to something wooden and you will get a good amount of them. They are also super useful because turning one 2x4 into 20 skewers lets you stretch a fire out for significantly longer! This is also how you get plastic chunks/leather patches to repair non cloth items.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 23, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Use your knife to cut up a piece of wood like you do with cloth for rags. I don't think splintered wood works for this.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Ahh, I see. Stuff like that could really stand to be made more apparent.

Tyskil posted:

Well if you particularly want a specific mutation you can just wizard mode it and give yourself whatever mutations you want. I don't really get the feeling that mutations are really supposed to be a progression thing because they don't necessarily make your character better, just different. There are a few Mutations that are only positive like long tail or feathers or something but those have really high visibility which is going to be a big negative when NPCs are actually fleshed out. Honestly the mutations being random is a good thing because if you had perks which were better/as good as mutations but had no downsides, you would never wind up with any negative traits ever.
The fact that mutations are not a system of progression is exactly my point. I think the game could use a system of progression other than simple advancement in skills. Hence, perks, which could offer different effects than mutations do, and so be a complementary system.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 23, 2013

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Speaking of mutations, I'd rather they'd be more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. / Fallout and less Altered Beast.

Like becoming a chickenspider freak via mad science is entertaining enough, but the whole "grow bird wings when your eat an ugly dead fetus" doesn't mesh that well in my mind.

Maybe if there was a radioactive chicken bites and shenanigans with teleport pads directed into spider nests itd feel less dumb to me.

e: also I wish there was an endgame. Even something crude as "find key card to open door to escape shuttle hanger, also good luck its got the Cyberdemon in it" would be at least something to aim for once you can walk from one end to a city to the other and give no fucks.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 23, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
^^^^
Go after the strange temples, mineshafts, and the other end game content.

Jon93 posted:

:siren: Breaking GDA News! :siren:
Due to the massive changes to the code base and balance I'm starting over!

The feature suggestion form has been reset!

Feel free to suggest brand new stuff for me to add, if you suggested something before that didn't get implemented and is still a problem feel free to resubmit.

Fill this out: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19yPWYabJaKwv-FIGv5YSE4tcYZVRKMkjbI8dzA7yu68/viewform

Already submitted ideas: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AncNp4c6stYIdExxRzRpODVzSlF1c05xWUxIdmZnMkE&usp=sharing

Everything that was in GDA is in the main stable release anyways, so you'd kind of have to start over anyways with new ideas.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 23, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

^^^^
Go after the strange temples, mineshafts, and the other end game content.
They would be considerably more compelling if 1) they were more difficult and 2) 99% of artifacts weren't utterly awful.

As it is, the hardest things in the game are probably the triffid core things, and you don't really have any reason to tackle them other than for the hell of it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
My character is stuck with perma -"Scorching Face!" and 30 pain for whatever reason. I even went to go hang out in a lab basement and got a face both freezing and sweltering.

I've messed around with the debug menu but didn't find any solutions. Any advice?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Take off any headgear you have. Head warmth calculates weirdly when you load a game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, the last thing I think this game needs is a clear level progression or an endgame. Cataclysm is basically Unreal World in post-apocalyptic Americana instead of iron age Finland. It's all about screwing around in a giant sandbox, exploring the setting and trying to survive for as long as possible. There's no "get to max level, descend into the Pit of Smelly Anuses, defeat the Dark Lord" progression because being another Angband clone is exactly what it isn't trying to be.

The game is still barely half-finished, no matter what the version number says. Eventually there are supposed to be proper NPCs, factions, maybe the ability to rebuild or manage small settlements, that sort of thing, but probably not anything similar to a "you win" screen. The bare-bones farming system that was introduced recently is a step towards that.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

The fact that mutations are not a system of progression is exactly my point. I think the game could use a system of progression other than simple advancement in skills. Hence, perks, which could offer different effects than mutations do, and so be a complementary system.

The dude above me already replied to this pretty good but yeah, trying to put in hard goals into this game will literally turn all its strengths against it. Most of the people that like this game like it because it's so freeform.

They are planning to do missions and factions with the NPCs so there will probably be structure, but what this game needs isn't structure so much as content.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I don't think Perks aren't a good fit for Cataclysm because the skill system is all about incremental improvement. You don't get a big fanfare, level-up here; you just get slowly better over time, which is more realistic and suits the survival setting. Repeating a task over and over and getting better at it makes more sense than suddenly achieving an unrelated bonus. Bionics and Mutations are sought after so badly BECAUSE positive ones are so hard to achieve and activate. It makes their usage all the sweeter when 10 characters have come and died before them in search of that magical arm cannon. Honestly the progression system works wonderfully as is; going up in ranks opens up the amount of things available and makes you more versatile.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 23, 2013

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I just downloaded the new version and made a new character - I find it so very highly apt that the first character I make is a cybernetic blacksmith.. with the Internal Furnace upgrade.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Find an axe ASAP. Internal furnace is the best power source once you've got a couple of trees to munch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Take off any headgear you have. Head warmth calculates weirdly when you load a game.

It's not the head, its the face.

I removed all my mutations and all my clothing, saved, reloaded, and now I have a frostbitten and scorching face.

I am literally this douchebag.

At least until I leave the lab, and then its right back to straight up scorching face again.