Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

THE PWNER posted:

Does anyone know a site that sells gamecard keys online? SE won't take my credit card and I can't even get to the part where you pay for Crysta. I have no options.

I've seen some people elsewhere say they've had success with buying 60-day game cards from GAME.co.uk; it ends up being around AU$30.50. If you do try this, let me know if it works.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

THE PWNER posted:

Does anyone know a site that sells gamecard keys online? SE won't take my credit card and I can't even get to the part where you pay for Crysta. I have no options.

Did you by chance turn off noscript / popup blocker when trying to make a purchase? Someone mentioned earlier that it screws up with the payment.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The Letter from the Director Live from Tokyo Game Show video is available at http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tgs13/sqextv/ (click the 9月21日 button), if you're interested in seeing some pictures and clips of upcoming content. The presentation has occasional English subtitles, so you won't be completely lost.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

So I woke up this morning at 5:45am EST and was finally successful at making a new character on the Excalibur server. Even after playing FFXI for 7 years, I really have no idea what I am doing in this game...I think I like feeling a little bit lost for a change.

I would love to join either Please Be Careful or Dragongod Knightkings, but have no idea how to do that. I googled and it said I needed an invite from an officer I think. Name is Lefty Longfingers, and currently a lvl 6 THM.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Read the OP and use the off-site thingie listed in like the first 5 things there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cloudy McPouty posted:

So I woke up this morning at 5:45am EST and was finally successful at making a new character on the Excalibur server. Even after playing FFXI for 7 years, I really have no idea what I am doing in this game...I think I like feeling a little bit lost for a change.

I would love to join either Please Be Careful or Dragongod Knightkings, but have no idea how to do that. I googled and it said I needed an invite from an officer I think. Name is Lefty Longfingers, and currently a lvl 6 THM.

The off site forums for these guilds is listed at the very top of the OP, and within them are explicit step by step instructions.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Eej posted:

So that's why there's a bunch of 50s farming the quest sheep south of Dragonhold or whatever. That made that quest much more painful than it should be.
A lot of them are bots too.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Is it true that people don't take WARs into Bahamut's Coil? Are people that prejudice?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Is it true that people don't take WARs into Bahamut's Coil? Are people that prejudice?

You don't really pug Coil, so it's sort of a moot point to worry about who does or does not take any given class in there

Before that point, yes, Warriors do have some issues getting into or assembling pugs for certain post story fights

Doesn't have anything to do with prejudice, has everything to do with PLD vs WAR raw mitigation and PLD's stun with no cooldown

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

I can't speak for other groups, but my LS has two dedicated tanks with both classes leveled and we change composition depending on the turn. 2 Paladins vs Caduceus, 2 Warriors vs ADS, 1 Paladin 1 Warrior vs T4 Gauntlet.

We are still experimenting on Twintasia. Paladins are definitely the better tank in the fight, but Warrior HP pools make the extra mechanics much easier. I really want to try running 5 Warriors 1 Paladin to see how badly we could break meteor rotations.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

victrix posted:

You don't really pug Coil, so it's sort of a moot point to worry about who does or does not take any given class in there

Before that point, yes, Warriors do have some issues getting into or assembling pugs for certain post story fights

Doesn't have anything to do with prejudice, has everything to do with PLD vs WAR raw mitigation and PLD's stun with no cooldown

I saw that the devs basically said that they cleared the test content with WARs and that they think they might be the better of two, and that people haven't exhausted all possibilities with them.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I saw that the devs basically said that they cleared the test content with WARs and that they think they might be the better of two, and that people haven't exhausted all possibilities with them.

If WARs are better at that junk than Paladins then they'd be ridiculously better what with Paladins sucking at AOE in comparison and having shitastic DPS. I think both classes kinda need a look.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Volt Catfish posted:

Since we're on the topic of Summoners, it kinda seems to me that Garuda outclasses Ifrit in every way, am I wrong?

I've been fiddling around with the differences between the two and I'm still not quite sure. I don't use Garuda much except for on fights with heavy AoE spam in melee that kills Ifrit. But, Garuda's got some neat skills like extending all my DoTs for longer. That's pretty sweet.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Speedboat Jones posted:

I've been fiddling around with the differences between the two and I'm still not quite sure. I don't use Garuda much except for on fights with heavy AoE spam in melee that kills Ifrit. But, Garuda's got some neat skills like extending all my DoTs for longer. That's pretty sweet.

I'm fairly sure Ifrit has a better Enkindle, though.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Speedboat Jones posted:

I don't know the authenticity, but this may be worth a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diROOR4VZKg

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't have any issues with my War, I'm just speaking to the public perception.

It doesn't matter if Wars are the best tanks in the game for all content if they have either a high skill ceiling that demands good play to be a good tank, or if the community believes they are poor tanks.

Right now, perception is that Wars are squishy tanks on some end game hard fights and they lack an ezmode stun for certain mechanics. We're talking about like a few fights in the entire game though, so it's really only an issue if you're trying to do those specific fights solo without the aid of your FC, friends, or linkshells.

Paladins having more raw mitigation means that as a baseline, they are easier to heal.

Warriors active healing is spikier to begin with, and some of its mechanics require cooperation with healers (eg, if you use Thrill of Battle, Stoneskin and Lustrate become more powerful - but if you don't macro its use or your healers know about it, they can't take advantage of this except accidentally).

Dealing with spikes requires better fight knowledge from both healers and the tank, because otherwise a moments inattention can result in a dead Warrior, where a Paladin might still be standing.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

victrix posted:

or if the community believes they are poor tanks.

this is my biggest fear, basically

being ostracized from content that I'm actually good for (of course PLD will be better for some fights and WAR better for others) because people really believe that WARs are not good because of all the fuss

and I'm pretty sure a lot of this is due to exactly what you said - warriors having a bit higher of a ceiling / requiring more cooperation

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

being ostracized from content that I'm actually good for (of course PLD will be better for some fights and WAR better for others) because people really believe that WARs are not good because of all the fuss

Generally the sorts of people who are going to exclude you because 'they heard Wars are bad tanks' are not the sorts of people you want to group with in the first place

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

and I'm pretty sure a lot of this is due to exactly what you said - warriors having a bit higher of a ceiling / requiring more cooperation

From the five pug dungeons I healed, all Brayflox as a Scholar, I can confidently say healing Paladins is a breeze and healing Warriors is miserable. Please don't be a warrior.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just hit 15 and went off to a new city, what level will I actually get dungeons on my duty finder?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I just hit 15 and went off to a new city, what level will I actually get dungeons on my duty finder?

Just keep doing the main story quests and they'll open up. Most of the time when you find yourself wondering how and when things unlock, it's done by advancing the main story or your class/job quests.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

boho posted:

From the five pug dungeons I healed, all Brayflox as a Scholar, I can confidently say healing Paladins is a breeze and healing Warriors is miserable. Please don't be a warrior.

:laffo:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

boho posted:

Counterpoint, as a Scholar, I've healed a Warrior in every dungeon in the game just fine. Please play whatever class appeals to you.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also why are the crossclass skills Paladin has access to so useless? The only really nice thing is the damage cooldown on marauder, while all the conjurer poo poo we suck at anyways.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gorelab posted:

Also why are the crossclass skills Paladin has access to so useless? The only really nice thing is the damage cooldown on marauder, while all the conjurer poo poo we suck at anyways.
Tank tax. Can't have tank classes be fun.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Gorelab posted:

because PLD are "better"

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Gorelab posted:

PLD already have a lot of job-specific cooldowns that are extremely powerful, they're only aspected to PLD so no one else has access to them (on top of PLD getting access to MRD's only mitigation cooldown :v:)

PLD can have a "strong" cooldown up for every Mountain Buster on Titan, but WAR will need to be more intelligent about managing their building/spending of Fury to deal with the same attack.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

get ye flask posted:

PLD already have a lot of job-specific cooldowns that are extremely powerful, they're only aspected to PLD so no one else has access to them (on top of PLD getting access to MRD's only mitigation cooldown :v:)

PLD can have a "strong" cooldown up for every Mountain Buster on Titan, but WAR will need to be more intelligent about managing their building/spending of Fury to deal with the same attack.

Oh yeah, I think PLD is in a good spot for main tanking, it just could use some more interesting perks for off-tanking/soloing. Warrior kicks it's rear end in there.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Also why are the crossclass skills Paladin has access to so useless?

Yeah, it would be nice if they'd adjust some of these. For example, WHM gets Physick and Ruin from ACN. They are literally completely useless skills for them. There is absolutely no situation where Physick is worth using over Cure, and there is absolutely no situation where Ruin is worth using over Stone (unless there would be monsters that are immune to earth damage I guess). Then there's stuff like BLM getting the agility buff from ARC. It's stupid.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

boho posted:

Counterpoint: my mains are WAR and SCH and they both own :smug:

SCH kind of goes with PLD and WAR kind of goes with WHM, but yes sometimes to heal a WAR you need to spam Physick and some Succor when they get hit hard, and smartly use Sacred Soil and Lustrate. Basically if you play SCH good and your WAR isn't doing dumb poo poo like spending wrath immediately you'll be fine.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Veib posted:

... there is absolutely no situation where Ruin is worth using over Stone (unless there would be monsters that are immune to earth damage I guess). ...
Ruin is good if you're running on fumes or need to conserve MP, as you can cast that almost infinitely (but Stone/Stone II will eventually OOM you).

That said, the damage output of Ruin is laughable at best, even under Cleric Stance. Not even 1/2 of a Stone.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh god never accept 16 Leves at once. That trumpet music doesn't stop. :psyboom:

I love that it plays it for every leve you accept. I'm tempted to see if it keeps playing once you actually initiate a leve.

Ba-dada-dum-da-dumdadah!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

boho posted:

There's your problem. Healing Brayflox as SCH is a pain and a half due to not having a cleanse and being able to cleanse being such a big need in the dungeon. Heal a 4 stack poison +1? Okay, let me run my MP dry.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Even after playing FFXI for 7 years, I really have no idea what I am doing in this game...I think I like feeling a little bit lost for a change.

I have the same feeling about this game. While I do think the popup help system is probably the best in any MMO so far (that I've played), it seems like they leave out huge chunks of stuff from time to time. Just yesterday I got to thinking about crafting, and I had never had a popup saying "Hey, you can craft now! Here's how you do it!". So I didn't even end up starting crafting until I was 20+. Which makes me worry there might be other systems or things in the game that I'm completely missing because the help system never mentioned it.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I have the same feeling about this game. While I do think the popup help system is probably the best in any MMO so far (that I've played), it seems like they leave out huge chunks of stuff from time to time. Just yesterday I got to thinking about crafting, and I had never had a popup saying "Hey, you can craft now! Here's how you do it!". So I didn't even end up starting crafting until I was 20+. Which makes me worry there might be other systems or things in the game that I'm completely missing because the help system never mentioned it.
The devs are trying to preserve that sense of discovery that other games have lost over time. It's what keeps the game fresh for longer.

It's also why ignoring all side quests until you have a 50 isn't the best of ideas. You miss a lot of side stuff by doing that, including the first Levequest unlock, a few dungeons, gear dyeing, etc.

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 22, 2013

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm vaguely aware that I can craft, but have no idea how to do it... Been busy doing other things. This is my first MMO, and I feel like there's just so much to do. Just hit 20 with my PGL, am 10 with fishing, and 7 with lancer. I'll probably take a main story break to go do my level 10 fishing quest, get to lancer 10, fill out some of my hunting log, and finally learn to craft. I'm having a lot of fun though!

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 22, 2013

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
You know how to change class you had to go to a guild and sign up for that class and they gave you the level 1 weapon for the class and you equipped it and then you were that class? Crafting classes are a class. You go to the guild, sign up, get the level 1 class "weapon" for your troubles and equip it. Bam! You can now craft. (Hotkey for crafting log is n)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Honestly the whole cross-class skill thing for combat classes/jobs has left me pretty wanting. There's like 1 useful things for each job and they're pretty much the same. The rest are just whatever you can equip from the minor class in your job. Blood for blood for physical dps, swiftcast for healers, etc.

As the whole "solo in your class and not your job" thing is pretty superfluous, I think?

Of course this is not counting flash for easy fate grinding.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Valle posted:

You know how to change class you had to go to a guild and sign up for that class and they gave you the level 1 weapon for the class and you equipped it and then you were that class? Crafting classes are a class. You go to the guild, sign up, get the level 1 class "weapon" for your troubles and equip it. Bam! You can now craft. (Hotkey for crafting log is n)

Ya, I'd seen all the crafting guilds around, so figured that was probably the case.

That does bring up another (probably dumb) question I had... I'd been wanting to check out some fishing levequests, but the only levequests I have available are Battlecraft. Are the fishing quests limited to very specific places? And will the other fieldcraft quests show up as I level up various crafting skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
While cross-class stuff is cool, I'm a bit sad I can't use the ARC books for THM skills or a pokey stick with my GLD, that kind of thing. Would be messy as hell but give me all skills from all classes, tyvm.

• Locked thread