Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hedgecore posted:

I just put iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and I instantly regret it, visually speaking. A lot of the animations (switching out of apps, multitasking, etc) are very choppy. It just doesn't feel fluid (which is one of the best parts about using iOS). Reminds me of using an underpowered Android tablet.

And those icons, wow. Personal preference, probably wrong thread, I know, but they aren't helping.

The ssd needs time to defrag or whatever. It will smooth out, at least it did on my iPod Touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 10, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

slow crow posted:

iOS7 on the iPad makes life in general more beautiful.

Is there any way towards having these devices not made by slaves? I feel like the increased productivity I've experienced has conserved at least $10 I'd gladly put towards buying the workers actual isopropyl to clean the screens for shipping as opposed to carcinogenics that cost fractions of a US cent less per litre.

What?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've got a 32GB wifi 3rd generation ipad with a tiny crack in the bottom corner (not on the touchscreen part). If I were to sell it, is it worth repairing first? Repairs seem to cost about a third of what I've seen good-condition ipads sell on Amazon.co.uk

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

slow crow posted:

iOS7 on the iPad makes life in general more beautiful.

Is there any way towards having these devices not made by slaves? I feel like the increased productivity I've experienced has conserved at least $10 I'd gladly put towards buying the workers actual isopropyl to clean the screens for shipping as opposed to carcinogenics that cost fractions of a US cent less per litre.

Yeah, I think they have the donation forms at your local Starbucks. Ask them for one when you go to get your next Grande Caramel Mocha Latte.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I don't think it makes you a yuppie or hipster to wish Apple was more interested in the labor conditions its products are made under.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nihiliste posted:

I don't think it makes you a yuppie or hipster to wish Apple was more interested in the labor conditions its products are made under.

They're one of the only companies I know of that actively investigates questionable labor conditions in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

Yeah but where do naive people buy coffee?

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

Or moved them to a place with higher labor standards in general.

(Don't interpret this in saying other companies get a pass on this. I wish it would happen all around.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, pisspoor labor conditions, suck, but Apple's not the worst about it.

How many manufacturers have this on their website:

https://www.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/

https://www.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/reports.html

Saying that iPads are made by slaves is a little harsh. You want to talk about a tablet made by slaves, buy a $50 Android tablet.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, pisspoor labor conditions, suck, but Apple's not the worst about it.

I don't really think "slightly less pisspoor (but still pisspoor) than companies who can afford much less" is what the original dude was going for.

Being less worse isn't really being good, which is what I was getting at.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does commentary on the ethical business practices of tech companies operating in China belong in this thread?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Does commentary on the ethical business practices of tech companies operating in China belong in this thread?
Absolutely not. I can't believe you guys responded to that idiotic post.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Probably not. Apologies for the derail.

My iPad 2 was still choppy this morning with the animations. To earlier poster, I know you know the terminology wasn't right, but never defrag a SSD! I assume it is still indexing and that is the reason for the initial poor performance. Maybe I'll just get used to it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Defrag a SSD? Did you defrag the iPad? Is that even possible? :psyduck:

Also it's slow on my 3 as well so I just assume iOS 7 isn't optimized for iPads very well. The iPad 4 probably has enough raw power to not show it as horribly.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Defrag a SSD? Did you defrag the iPad? Is that even possible? :psyduck:

I'm referring to this post:

Mu Zeta posted:

The ssd needs time to defrag or whatever. It will smooth out, at least it did on my iPod Touch.

Just don't want anyone reading this and ever pairing together "defrag" and "SSD". You would literally just be wearing your SSD down faster.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh. Yeah, I don't know what the new iOS does. It is really choppy initially and smoothed out on my 3, which is now 24 hours post-update. It's still way noticeably slower than iOS 6, but not horribly laggy and freezing doing simple things.

It is one of the legitimately biggest changes to iOS, if not the biggest, so it'll be ironed out in the future I guess. Apple probably had their mind on iPhones more than iPads.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Oh. Yeah, I don't know what the new iOS does. It is really choppy initially and smoothed out on my 3, which is now 24 hours post-update. It's still way noticeably slower than iOS 6, but not horribly laggy and freezing doing simple things.

It is one of the legitimately biggest changes to iOS, if not the biggest, so it'll be ironed out in the future I guess. Apple probably had their mind on iPhones more than iPads.

Apple saw how ugly Microsoft is making everything and said "Us too!"

I hate that white is back in design. White space sucks.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

hedgecore posted:

I just put iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and I instantly regret it, visually speaking. A lot of the animations (switching out of apps, multitasking, etc) are very choppy. It just doesn't feel fluid (which is one of the best parts about using iOS). Reminds me of using an underpowered Android tablet.

Did you enable auto-update of apps? I found that slowed things down quite a bit on one of my iThings until it caught up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Aphrodite posted:

Apple saw how ugly Microsoft is making everything and said "Us too!"

I hate that white is back in design. White space sucks.

I agree, if only because I have my phone all black-themed to not sear my retinas whenever I want to look at a late night text message or something. I mean, I'll take the new iOS over the old glossy stuff, but I can't go 5 minutes in the default iOS 7 apps without thinking "this didn't have any afterthought put into it."

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't gauge if it's better there, but a lot of stuff on the iPad just seems without afterthought.

Also I kinda like the Metro interface but only in Windows 8.1 where you can have an actual image as a wallpaper.

e: I'm totally using afterthought wrong, but I'm too lazy to fix it. The point is that iOS 7 on iPads is still rough around the edges. :colbert:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I agree, if only because I have my phone all black-themed to not sear my retinas whenever I want to look at a late night text message or something. I mean, I'll take the new iOS over the old glossy stuff, but I can't go 5 minutes in the default iOS 7 apps without thinking "this didn't have any afterthought put into it."

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't gauge if it's better there, but a lot of stuff on the iPad just seems without afterthought.

Also I kinda like the Metro interface but only in Windows 8.1 where you can have an actual image as a wallpaper.

e: I'm totally using afterthought wrong, but I'm too lazy to fix it. The point is that iOS 7 on iPads is still rough around the edges. :colbert:

It's not Metro, Metro is all colorful with background colors. I'm mostly complaining about Office 2013.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Aphrodite posted:

It's not Metro, Metro is all colorful with background colors. I'm mostly complaining about Office 2013.

Well I guess we'll see how official app offerings from Apple turn out. I was a little disappointed to see the iOS Pages not updated, but I guess they probably want to get the fully fledged version working first.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Are there any leading rumors about a new wave of iPads for this year? My dog knocked my 2 off my bed and the glass broke/ impacted the corner and I'm hoping for some crazy good stuff like the 5s is.

I should really learn to google before post. Rumors trending for an October announcement and release either October of November. Hardware a mystery. Itouch almost certainly happening.

Psyker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 21, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New iPads in October: A7 architecture, fingerprint sensor, and God willing a bump to 32GB as the base spec. 16GB is too small for an iPad in 2014.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

New iPads in October: A7 architecture, fingerprint sensor, and God willing a bump to 32GB as the base spec. 16GB is too small for an iPad in 2014.

I'd survive on 16gb if it was an LTE model and everything I did on it was cloud based.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd survive on 16gb if it was an LTE model and everything I did on it was cloud based.
Buy more apps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or have a kid use it a lot (Doesn't have to be yours!)

I babysit my nephew a lot. He's constantly asking to download the latest movie or TV show tie-in game and for some reason some of those games are like 2gb.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Aphrodite posted:

Or have a kid use it a lot (Doesn't have to be yours!)

I babysit my nephew a lot. He's constantly asking to download the latest movie or TV show tie-in game and for some reason some of those games are like 2gb.

Jesus this update is sucking down battery life. I'm seeing 1% of battery life per 10minutes of forum surfing right now.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

Math isn't my strong suit, but doesn't -1% per 10 minutes equate to like 16 hours of browsing?

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Phalex posted:

Math isn't my strong suit, but doesn't -1% per 10 minutes equate to like 16 hours of browsing?

I think that was his point.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

milkaxor posted:

I think that was his point.

That's a pretty accelerated rate from before just browsing.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

LingcodKilla posted:

It's better than what Apple advertises....

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
In't the iPad supposed to give you 10 hours of battery life under constant normal use?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
You guys better run some battery benchmarks to pinpoint exactly what CPU cycle is causing excess battery drain.

Or, you know, turn off your loving battery percentage and use it like a normal person because this same thing happens every time Apple releases an iOS update.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've installed iOS 7 and after spending the day looking through every menu and updating then running every app to see the changes my battery had drained what the gently caress Apple is screwing us again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in Haus of Tech Support, but the rules there seemed to indicate all Ipad questions go here. Though it's not totally an Ipad issue, it's Itunes/Windows.

I have an old Ipad 1 that runs 3.2.2. I never updated because I heard of issues people had with it running slower, not as good, battery issues, crashing a lot. But now I'm finding there's a ton of newer apps I just can't run without at least being 4.3. I'd like to upgrade to that or 5.

I honestly rarely sync my Ipad, because I mostly just use it for web browsing. In addition, the original user account profile on my laptop got corrupted, as did the original admin account. Right now I have an admin account for Windows (Vista) and a non admin account for daily use. I went into the admin account, installed Itunes, and was able to sync the Ipad. It gave me some user permission issues but that went away when I told it not to sync the photos-Google helped me with that much.

My problem is when I try to check for updates in Itunes it says it "could connect to update server. Make sure your Internet connection is active and try again." Things I found on Google as problems which I checked:

-yes my internet connection and router is working. I'm online now, and I can see a bunch of current movies to order in Itunes so I don't see the need to unplug everything and reset my router
-I only have one firewall running, Windows Firewall, and Itunes is checked as an exception/allowed program
-I flushed the dns and restarted the computer
-"The Itunes server sometimes goes down for 2-3 hours once every few months, so try again later." :rolleyes: I'm sure I hit it at just the right time, huh?

So what's next?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astroman posted:

-"The Itunes server sometimes goes down for 2-3 hours once every few months, so try again later." :rolleyes: I'm sure I hit it at just the right time, huh?
Well new iPhones and a new iOS just came out so yeah there's actually a decent chance you're just hitting server issues :v:

Otherwise you could try switching up your DNS servers I guess, looks like that works for some people (...or reinstalling iTunes or using a different machine entirely). If you know what version of iOS you can upgrade to, you can try finding the ipsw restore image and downloading that directly. From there you can load it into iTunes and update yourself by shift clicking update or restore (depending which action you want).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

LingcodKilla posted:

There's no way you could browse for 16 hours straight on your iPad pre-update unless you had some kind of magical device with a future space battery not present in any other iPad. I suspect you can't actually browse for 16 hours now either, and that your battery is in fact losing more than 1% of its charge per ten minutes.

I think the best I've ever seen on my iPad is around 1.5 hours of use per 10% while reading an ebook with the brightness completely bottomed out. Even then, I'm willing to bet my battery was draining a lot faster than that and it's just the battery usage being inaccurate.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Just to chip in on whether 16GB is good enough...it's not. I've got a 16GB LTE iPad, and I can't do an OTA upgrade to iOS 7 because it wants 3.4GB of free space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

There's no way you could browse for 16 hours straight on your iPad pre-update unless you had some kind of magical device with a future space battery not present in any other iPad. I suspect you can't actually browse for 16 hours now either, and that your battery is in fact losing more than 1% of its charge per ten minutes.

I think the best I've ever seen on my iPad is around 1.5 hours of use per 10% while reading an ebook with the brightness completely bottomed out. Even then, I'm willing to bet my battery was draining a lot faster than that and it's just the battery usage being inaccurate.

I'm sorry I was making up everything I said to impress you with my standard iPad. It's draining faster and that's that.