Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I finally hit 58 yesterday on my slayer after questing in Val Elenium again and yeah this is a great loving thing. I honestly thought it would be better the 2nd time around, since I had better gear and was slightly above the level curve, nope, poo poo was worse. They need to chop off 30-40% hp off all the mobs in the 54-58 level zones. Yeah I know I could have farmed bear asses, but I need the gold since I'm still enchanting/MW my warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

So this is where you've been hanging out.

This deal is pretty tempting but no idea what I would have bumped to 58. Interested in both Berserker and Slayer but only got them to ~30 last I played. Which woukd be better for screwing round with solo?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Yeah I got pretty bored of FF14's slowpaced gameplay and on top of other things that kind of bothered me. I'll probably check it out later, but right now it's just not worth the monthly sub.

Both are good at effectively soloing and high DPS. You've played both classes to a high enough level to get the "feel for it", it's just a matter of personal playstyle preference. I find the berzerker to be a bit too slow and the slayer more engaging. I also dislike the charging mechanic the berzerker has too, so that's a big reason I prefer the slayer. Zerker has an easier time with bams though, since there is no cooldown on block, unlike the slayer's dodge.

In group stuff no one is going to turn their nose at you, only warriors are looked at as red headed step children (I play a warrior :()

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Berzerker is mainly about prediction. Think of it like swatting flies. You are trying to predict where the fly is going to land so you can smack it. Also like swatting flies, when you do hit them, you make an awful mess. In PvP if you have the right buffs you will one shot people. The good ones are decent at prediction and staying right on the periphery of your vision so it seems like they come tumbling in from nowhere and boom. 100k+ backcrit against cloth. In PvE you are all about circling bosses like a vulture waiting for the boss to get locked in frame recovery. Then boom. 1 mill+ backcrit.

I haven't played Slayer yet but I've played with many of them and fought against them. They are much more mobile with dodges and rolls that a Berzerker doesn't have. So its more about dodging stuff on reaction, rolling behind for back crits etc. Think of it as the fly. KaneTW plays a Slayer so hes the best person to ask here about class mechanics. Also like the fly, I remember 3v3ing with him when Evolution (Berzerker) backcrit him for 87k, killing him instantly. Oh the laughs we had...

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hah, yeah. Sadly they removed most of the fun with a flat 15% crit damage reduction on the new Conjunct set. I was doing a 3v3 on my slayer and did less damage during a stunlock combo as before the patch. I'll just put Tera on hold for now until I'm out of gamss to play.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
The offer for a 58 character is pretty crazy, I don't think I've seen any MMO try something so extreme to bring in players. I remember DAOC let you level up but it still left you with a long way to go, this is cutting out huge swathes of the game. I'm paralysed by indecision on which class to pick. Lancers seem like a good choice but if I was gonna tank I'd want to learn the ropes in earlier dungeons where you can afford to make a mistake, so meh. Healers have a lot of responsibility too and my highest level is only a 35 warrior, maybe sorcerer would be more endgame newb friendly.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
So I'm 56 and I'm not sure where to go to level. Grizzles seem slower than Devans (if you include the Boss mob that spawns) and Devans are slowly giving less and less xp.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Wassbix posted:

So I'm 56 and I'm not sure where to go to level. Grizzles seem slower than Devans (if you include the Boss mob that spawns) and Devans are slowly giving less and less xp.

Are you doing the summer event? That poo poo is insane exp.

Are you doing the alliance dailies for lowbies? Again insane exp.

Just get to 57 then follow the quest lines from pathfinder, they give you dailies rep.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

So I'm going to make a character for this instant level 58 event, but I'm torn between Slayer/Sorc/Archer. This'll be my highest dude, so I'd like to play something that's not super hard, which I'm guessing kinda takes Slayer/Sorc out of the picture. Am I wrong? Should I just roll Archer?

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Kevlar Beard posted:

So I'm going to make a character for this instant level 58 event, but I'm torn between Slayer/Sorc/Archer. This'll be my highest dude, so I'd like to play something that's not super hard, which I'm guessing kinda takes Slayer/Sorc out of the picture. Am I wrong? Should I just roll Archer?

Slayer is easiest DPS class, IMO.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I might log in and make a Lancer. Or reroll my Mystic. Mystics are definitely painful to level so I might skip that whole poo poo.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Retro Access posted:

Slayer is easiest DPS class, IMO.

Depends. For KN20 and most other content , difficulty (easiest <<< hardest) goes Lancer < Warrior Tank < Zerker < ranged < heals < Warrior DPS < Slayer. For MCHM, it's Lancer < Warrior Tank < Sorc/Archer < Warrior DPS < Slayer < Heals < Zerker.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

My pubbie imploded today because of dumb poo poo, I might actually bite the bullet and pay for transfers to MT.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Lyer posted:

My pubbie imploded today because of dumb poo poo, I might actually bite the bullet and pay for transfers to MT.

Couldn't you just make a fresh 58 with this event on MT? I guess it just depends on how much you've invested in your dude.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Kevlar Beard posted:

Couldn't you just make a fresh 58 with this event on MT? I guess it just depends on how much you've invested in your dude.

Well considering I got a steadfast weapon and dropped 20k to MW and enchant the drat thing, I'm pretty attached to my char. I'm kind of annoyed that my guild is pretty much a leveling guild now, the core group of end game players got annoyed at the useless GM and all bounced. As far as pub guilds go, this one wasn't bad, there weren't any of the usual shitlords in it at all and now I have to spend time or money to find a new one.

Today pretty much reaffirms why I try to play in goon guilds.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 22, 2013

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Make a levelup character on MT anyway. You lose nothing by doing this.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I have to make my character by the end of today to get into this event? Wuh oh, time to quickly make either a Lancer or a Mystic. Although I wasn't entirely sure on Mystic when I was levelling one up originally either, it was painful. e: Or maybe Warrior.

Any goons have any advice on picking between Lancer or Warrior? I had a Lancer a while ago but that was on the EU Server and it wasn't too bad. What's Warrior like in comparison?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 22, 2013

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Lyer posted:

Well considering I got a steadfast weapon and dropped 20k to MW and enchant the drat thing, I'm pretty attached to my char. I'm kind of annoyed that my guild is pretty much a leveling guild now, the core group of end game players got annoyed at the useless GM and all bounced. As far as pub guilds go, this one wasn't bad, there weren't any of the usual shitlords in it at all and now I have to spend time or money to find a new one.

Today pretty much reaffirms why I try to play in goon guilds.

Hey, we still need DPS for our Wonderholme HM runs! It's usually 9 of us and a pug.

As far as drama, we have none, as far as levelling - its endgame with 15-20 60s online. We do have one really really crazy guy in vent though. He's nice enough just kinda, well picture your office joker.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Ok, I'll hit you up in game when I log in later today.

As far as lancer vs warrior goes tanking wise, lancer does everything a warrior does, except easier and slightly better. Warrior does have the option to go dps and is one of the more fun classes IMO.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Trying to decide between a slayer and zerker for my close DPS class.

Main is a (really good) endgame sorc who routinely gets a red ring of awesome DPS. I've got a level 55 lancer so no point in skipping a whopping 3 levels, and my wife is rolling a healer.

Slayer has better stuns 1v1 PvP, zerker is basically 'you stop it, I drop it'?

In endgame dungeons, does the zerker block work out better than the slayer's iframe jumps?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Priest, Mystic, Warriors and Lancers are the go-to PVP classes. Slayers got hosed really hard with the new PVP gloves (lol 15% crit damage reduction) even with the new buffs.

The Zerker block doesn't work in MCHM for most stuff but otherwise it works better (KN20 i'm looking at you). No clue about WHHM, ask Retro. Overall I prefer iframes over block though.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Harik posted:

Trying to decide between a slayer and zerker for my close DPS class.

I'm basically suffering from the same dilemma. Slayer or zerk?

To help reach a decision, I watched vids of both classes soloing stuff. I noticed that a berserker must charge up before unleashing its attacks and can be interrupted. A slayer can "instant cast" its skills (with some lengthy animations) that are now immune to interruptions as of the latest patch. It seemed to me that dodging has more utility than blocking. Backstab puts you instantly behind your target and gives you a short window to get some back crits. Berserker will see back crits if someone else is holding aggro. Slayer has glyphs of carving, not sure if zerk does.

Aside from that... armor. From what I noticed, plate armor doesn't seem to reduce damage all that much over leather. The zerk play style appears to involve getting hit while trying to land attacks, which implies that healing often would be necessary. I presume a slayer can dodge damage and stay out of harms way more effectively?

I likely missed something but it seems to me a slayer is the better melee class between the two.

Septimus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 22, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

They're both good, just different. Roll whatever you like more.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
Here's a 7 day blaze mount code and a 1 day exp booster code that I got in my email.

NXERYH34DLEYWXDTEKXWG4WJN

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Farts posted:

Here's a 7 day blaze mount code and a 1 day exp booster code that I got in my email.

NXERYH34DLEYWXDTEKXWG4WJN

Now I can be a badass on a flaming horse or something.

I just realized I have a different name here, in IRC, in TERA, and in Mumble. No one will ever know who I am.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

KaneTW posted:

Priest, Mystic, Warriors and Lancers are the go-to PVP classes. Slayers got hosed really hard with the new PVP gloves (lol 15% crit damage reduction) even with the new buffs.

The Zerker block doesn't work in MCHM for most stuff but otherwise it works better (KN20 i'm looking at you). No clue about WHHM, ask Retro. Overall I prefer iframes over block though.

You can block everything in WHHM with 1 exception. When Bandersnatch puts a big circle on you, you have a second to get out of the circle or you will get stunned will (probably) die to poison. You can't block the stun so you need to run or dodge out of the circle. He only seems to do it on whoever has aggro so it will usually happen to the Lancer. Lancers just move away from Bandersnatch and the circle follows. You wait just until the circle stops tracking you and charging lunge away. Do not backstep out of it because the radius is too big to clear it before the stun lands.

In PvP, Berzerkers can block all lock on CC. Unlike Lancer blocking, Axe Block does not consume a resource call Resolve upon successful block.

If a Lancer successfully blocks in PvP, they lose a tonne of Resolve which Berzerkers are not affected by. In duels they naturally have to turtle and close distance with Dash. In team PvP you have to play Berzerkers with a bit of cunning. The best Berzerkers are like ghosts that hang around at the periphery of your vision and they have good sense of prediction and timing.

Like Bluepoo is practically invisible in 3v3. You get framelocked in skill recovery and he just comes flying in out of nowhere with Thundering Strike and you ded. Eating an inopportune stun or KD with a Zerker in range is obviously going to shorten your life expectancy to milliseconds but Berzerker play is all positioning and prediction.

Talade in NFA is really good at Zerker and I often enjoy shadowing him on my Mystic where I get to see him wide circle around and double back to smoke players caught flat footed.

Since your main attacks are charge up its pretty devastating to get interrupted when holding a Charge, which is why you need to be cunning and find an opportune way in without being detected.

I still maintain that Slayer is the secret best DPS in Tera for 3v3 at least. With good combo execution (and good ping) they can floor a healer outright from 100% health, like a Lancer. The downside is that if your execution is not so good, you aren't really threatening and lack sticking power.

A Lancer has all the means to stick to a healer like glue. You can charging lunge cancel into lockdown blow for a massive slow debuff or you can menacing wave. The first hit on their combo attack puts a loving 50% slow debuff on you and the animation makes you shuffle forward. So if you cancel it, you can move faster than a player running in a straight line (in combat), even if you never actually hit them. If you gently caress that up or run out of resolve, you can still pull them to you with leash. If you gently caress that up you have a second chance with Master's Leash. If you gently caress that up and you are within 5 metres you can hit confirm a combo attack after a shield barrage. If you gently caress that up then Jesus Christ you need to practice.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 23, 2013

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Anatharon posted:

http://imgur.com/a/9htsV

No exaggeration in the slightest.

The warrior one is great.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 23, 2013

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Depends. For KN20 and most other content , difficulty (easiest <<< hardest) goes Lancer < Warrior Tank < Zerker < ranged < heals < Warrior DPS < Slayer. For MCHM, it's Lancer < Warrior Tank < Sorc/Archer < Warrior DPS < Slayer < Heals < Zerker.

It's easiest... To learn.

If you want a face roll easy time of picking up a new class when you're level 58, you need to pick slayer. That's not going to make it any easier on you for stuff like MCHM (for that, you play sorc) but for not absolutely sucking on a brand new class at 58 you should play slayer. Lancer has a similar easy skillset to learn but Jesus Christ you do not want the pubbie drama if you're a welfare 58 and can not hold aggro (which, queueing into LoT and ET with the odd uber geared 60, you will not, and being a lowbie geared at 60 queuing into anything you will not hold aggro til you learn the class.)

Slayer can just kinda wing it in a pubbie group and not be noticed sucking. :) The skillset is easy to pick up. Easy in mc... No, that's a whole other load of stuff to learn and dodges to handle at the right time while the sorc stands at 14 metres away and gets hit by nothing. But mc is a bit down the line for a welfare 58.

As sorc, they will probably notice you sucking. I notice sorcs sucking right off the bat, our priest notices them sucking and will tell them. No drama and no kicks but they get told.

I rolled archer and I absolutely have no doubt that I will suck but I have the benefit of being in a guild that can and will carry a sucky player and teach them til they get things right.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

As of this post, I have a welfare lancer! I look forward to losing aggro and missing every block in your dungeons! In a serious note, what's a good place to learn tanking? The toughest content I plan on doing at most is Kezzel's and even then a tank really isn't needed there.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Retro Access posted:

It's easiest... To learn.

If you want a face roll easy time of picking up a new class when you're level 58, you need to pick slayer. That's not going to make it any easier on you for stuff like MCHM (for that, you play sorc) but for not absolutely sucking on a brand new class at 58 you should play slayer. Lancer has a similar easy skillset to learn but Jesus Christ you do not want the pubbie drama if you're a welfare 58 and can not hold aggro (which, queueing into LoT and ET with the odd uber geared 60, you will not, and being a lowbie geared at 60 queuing into anything you will not hold aggro til you learn the class.)

Slayer can just kinda wing it in a pubbie group and not be noticed sucking. :) The skillset is easy to pick up. Easy in mc... No, that's a whole other load of stuff to learn and dodges to handle at the right time while the sorc stands at 14 metres away and gets hit by nothing. But mc is a bit down the line for a welfare 58.

As sorc, they will probably notice you sucking. I notice sorcs sucking right off the bat, our priest notices them sucking and will tell them. No drama and no kicks but they get told.

I rolled archer and I absolutely have no doubt that I will suck but I have the benefit of being in a guild that can and will carry a sucky player and teach them til they get things right.

I picked archer for my welfare 58 :ohdear:

Please tell me how to not suck

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Kevlar Beard posted:

I picked archer for my welfare 58 :ohdear:

Please tell me how to not suck

I have absolutely no idea, haha.

I only levelled archer to 20 or so before they got DPS boosts, and I got so fed up of how slow and crappy the DPS was that I couldn't be bothered to go furthur. So it remains the only class (and I'd levelled everything else past 40 and a good few to 60) that I have no clue how to play. I can tell from watching people in PVP that it involves all this stuff to do with traps and placing traps right which makes my brain hurt.

As far as lancer goes just hit up all this new stuff (namely at first, 3s and 5s) in a group that's not a pug group ie. queue in with at least one other guild member so you do not get kicked by a moron, just keep practicing at it. So try to play with people in the same low crappy gear that a lot of people will have. Now this is pretty swiftly going to change to masterwork +9 steadfast at least, given we spam 7m and some will have points to outright buy the gear. But people are probably still going to suck and not be using ideal rotations for a while at least.

And I don't give a drat about that.

Probably some classes will be abandoned though because few of us, at least have any clue how to play them or whether we are any good at them or even will like them (setting traps... urgh.) I think a couple are doubling up on a class they already have but for the most part, nope.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

TBH the lancer is just a "dicking around/UTI,Jax daily bitch", my slayer is basically the one that's going to get all the nice things after my warrior. :v:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
poo poo, is that free 58 offer closed? That's a hell of a thing to miss in a tiny window.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Yeah it's over, you had until midnight PST last night. It wasn't even supposed to be a promotional thing, it was just them getting current players to test an auto level script and some of the mmo news sites reported it.

My money is on them putting out an "auto level to 58" boost in the store somewhat soonish.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Made my welfare Slayer last night at around 9pm EST. Still waiting on that script to come through. :(

Any word about this taking longer than they had expected?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Night Blade posted:

Made my welfare Slayer last night at around 9pm EST. Still waiting on that script to come through. :(

Any word about this taking longer than they had expected?
It's probably just demand.

quote:

The number of applicants to our test event FAR exceeded even our best expectations (almost 5 times more!). Because of this, preparation is taking a bit longer than we thought. As of right now, our goal is to get everyone leveled up by the end of this week. I'll update this post as much as possible to keep you all informed.

There's some conjecture that it might prefer new accounts to old.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
Both a new account I made yesterday and my beta account both were hit by the script, so who knows... RNG strikes again?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
My priest got boosted, but I'm not sure how many items I'm getting.

How much armor/weapons should my character be getting? I got all the class weapons, the name change, 1k gold, and the starter mount, but I'm not sure the script is finish running since I don't seem to have all the armor. Are you suppose to get accessories, too?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Straithate posted:

Both a new account I made yesterday and my beta account both were hit by the script, so who knows... RNG strikes again?

Accounts made after the 19th weren't supposed to be affected though. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Protip: Don't enchant your free level 58 weapon. Start the level 59 quest path and the first quest - which takes less than a minute to complete - gives you a weapon roughly equal to a +6 enchantment on your welfare relic. :science:

• Locked thread