Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I didn't even check Bell, as for contracts, it really seems like it behooves you to buy unlocked, especially with overseas resale prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The three 'fighter' brands are all essentially pointless right now with the new plans, I couldn't find one instance where Koodo or Virgin was cheaper than Telus or Bell. Maybe I missed something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Screw paying you $25 just for a sim card, Wind. I really wasn't sure if my clumsy rear end could cut the sim down but it seems to be working.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is that what the new iOS looks like?

Is it marketed for four-year-olds?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I paid $5 for some little cellphone shack to cut down my card with a punch made for that purpose ... then the guy mysteriously offered $100 for my old broken Galaxy S2 LTE. I wiped it and did it, and was upfront with the problems it had.

edit: people's personal preferences are funny. That set up would drive me crazy. App Store as one of the main icons? I'd have my most-used apps not in folders, and just a couple of folders of stuff I need once a day. Android has the app drawer for everything else.

edit2: mine looks like this:

Also a second page with widgets for my Evernote stuff, calendar, and podcast controls.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 22, 2013

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

mediaphage posted:

Screw paying you $25 just for a sim card, Wind. I really wasn't sure if my clumsy rear end could cut the sim down but it seems to be working.

No "fartsy" folder, Minus One.

Dog eats Dog
Jun 4, 2008

Dog eats Dog posted:

I'm with Fido, and I have the $56 promo plan they offered last year which is basically unlimited everything + 2gb data. What are my chances of getting a discount on a new iphone since they want you to have one of their new completely overpriced plans now to qualify for a discount?

I phoned them in, the only thing they offered was like $10 off a max plan which is a complete rip off. They wouldn't even give me 10% off with bring your own phone because it's not an current plan offered.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tehloki posted:

No "fartsy" folder, Minus One.

I thought about it just for the post. It would be a good for for games. ;)

App Store won't be staying on the bottom bar; I literally just bought the phone Friday, and since it's my first iPhone, I'm using the App Store a ton while I figure out new things to download.

I don't really like the wallpaper I picked, though it isn't bad. It reminds everyone of Google stuff, haha. I figure I'll find something a little darker for it eventually.

Anyway I recommend everyone who needs a nanosim and would have to pay for one to try it - it was really easy.

E:

ante posted:

Is that what the new iOS looks like?

Is it marketed for four-year-olds?

Oh no, someone doesn't like bright colors. What're your thoughts on the voice of fire?

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of some of the icons but overall, it's a nice change.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 22, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Every time I've needed a new SIM from Wind I just walked into a store and they gave me one for free after verifying my account details.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there any way to test if an Android phone is unlocked without a sim card?

My mother in law got a phone unlocked that she's giving to some friends in Cuba, but after putting in the code we realized nobody we know actually has a full sized SIM on a non-Bell carrier to test it.

It did say "Network Unlock Successful", but I'm hoping there's some way to verify it. On a Blackberry there's a code you can put in that tells you straight up.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Oh no, someone doesn't like bright colors. What're your thoughts on the voice of fire?

Good god, I hate that painting. I remember going to the National Gallery at like 8 years old, being told how much that painting was purchased for, and even then thinking it was an absurd travesty. (Along with the exhibit that was there that was just a bungee cord stretched across a room.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Every time I've needed a new SIM from Wind I just walked into a store and they gave me one for free after verifying my account details.

gently caress, seriously? They were dicks to my spouse about it and insisted we pay the $25 despite requiring that we get the sim in order to roam out of the country.

thexerox123 posted:

Good god, I hate that painting. I remember going to the National Gallery at like 8 years old, being told how much that painting was purchased for, and even then thinking it was an absurd travesty. (Along with the exhibit that was there that was just a bungee cord stretched across a room.)

I only recently learned about it (I'm not Canadian) and while it seems a bit silly, it has appreciated in value so it seems the museum made a wise investment.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

thexerox123 posted:

Oh god let's please not have the "what is art" debate in this thread. I've lost good people to that debate. Good people.

In other news I have a buddy who works for the Rogers call center, and he's bought the company line on everything. It's scary how much corporate dronespeak he's picked up, particularly on the "Canada needs higher prices" and "Verizon would have torn this country apart and the federal government was going to let them" fronts.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I only recently learned about it (I'm not Canadian) and while it seems a bit silly, it has appreciated in value so it seems the museum made a wise investment.

I don't really go to the National Gallery to see examples of shrewd government purchases, but hey.

(I just read up on the history of it, and I do get why they bought it, I guess it's just not my thing. But obviously not everything at a National art gallery would be, so that's fine. You just happened to dredge up some strong memories of my first disillusionment with art, haha.)

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh god let's please not have the "what is art" debate in this thread. I've lost good people to that debate. Good people.

Yeah, I apologize for the tangent. And I do think it's art... my opinion of its quality/artistic skill doesn't change that... that whole trip was just my first real experience with modern art. I remember when I got home I glued a bunch of random poo poo to a piece of wood, and was like "There, I made some modern art. It's better than the bungee cord, at least."

But, yeah, to get back to the original subject, I didn't like the new look of ios7 at first, but I've grown accustomed to it pretty quickly. I feel like the icons being a bit more vibrant and flat was kind of a needless change, but it's not that bad, once you've had it for a few days. It's worth it for the new folder system, at least.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 23, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Modern art's enjoyment is infinitely increased just by going with friends to react to it, and discuss it.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
I apologize if this has been talked about and I've missed it. I'm currently on a 3 year Telus plan with 200 anytime/unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited texting and 500MB of data that's ending in October. I'm looking to pick myself up an S4 and I went and shopped around at a bunch of different carriers. They all have the samey plans that will end in me paying upwards of 70 dollars for what I currently have with no benefits besides a small price cut off the phone.

The main option I've been considering is going with Wind mobile but I'm not sure if that's a good choice. I'm currently in Vancouver and I've checked the maps at http://coveragemapper.com/maps.php and Wind seems to have decent coverage in all the places I'm interested in except my house. At my house wind has red signal but so do all the other carriers so I believe it has something to do with the location of my house rather than the Wind network specifically.

The current Wind plan that I'm looking at is $33 for unlimited everything, but after 15GB the data is throttled. Compared to my current $63 Telus plan that's amazing. I'm curious as to other goons' experiences with Wind. I've tried to read about them online and from what I've gathered they're a decent carrier with somewhat spotty coverage but that's to be expected since they're smaller. Apparently their customer service is poor but I hope they have improved in that department. They are offering the S4 for $400 with a $50 trade in bonus for my old phone.

I'm currently inclined to take this offer and if I do have problems with Wind as a carrier, buy the phone outright and move to a different carrier with the bring your own phone promo. What I'm worried about with this plan is if the Wind phone that I'm buying can transfer to any of the big networks without a problem. From what I understand the Wind network operates on a higher frequency than Rogers Bell or Telus so I'm wondering if the phone I purchase from them is specifically designed for the Wind network or if it can work on any Canadian cellular carrier. I'm just asking because from what I understand some American phone models won't work on European networks, so I'm wondering if there's possibly the same restrictions on North American phones.

My other option is to upgrade through Telus but they want me to add an additional $7 dollars to my plan bringing it up to $70 and I don't want any of the addons. They will sell me the S4 for $179 which isn't that much cheaper than the Wind option so I don't like that option, but it is the more well tested network.

Any help will be appreciated. Just to sum up because that was a long post. Is wind a good enough price for $33? If I buy an S4 from Wind mobile will I be able to use it on other Canadian networks if necessary. Is there any better option than Telus otherwise?(From what I've read and seen it seems the answer to this is no)

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
My wife is going to be working in Canada 5-6 times over the next 6 months or so, for two weeks at a time. She's got the unlocked iPhone 5s (GSM), and will be pretty much only in Saskatoon. Is there a decent pre-paid company she can go with to have phone service while she's up there? Mostly, we're looking for something that will let her take calls in an emergency without costing an arm and a leg. Some data (for iMessage) would be nice too, but not mandatory. Any recommendations?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Get a prepaid SaskTel SIM and $100 credit

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Aphrodite posted:

Is there any way to test if an Android phone is unlocked without a sim card?

My mother in law got a phone unlocked that she's giving to some friends in Cuba, but after putting in the code we realized nobody we know actually has a full sized SIM on a non-Bell carrier to test it.

It did say "Network Unlock Successful", but I'm hoping there's some way to verify it. On a Blackberry there's a code you can put in that tells you straight up.

Nope, the best way is to go to another carrier store and ask them to try a SIM card in it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
At least in BC you can still get the $35 silver plan from virgin which still has pay per use data that scales up to 3gb for an extra $30. It's probably the cheapest data from the big 3 right now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Girlfriends sister was gonna jump aboard the iPhone train this weekend with the 5C offering her the $60 5GB plan. She didn't want to get that and wanted on my plan ($50 for 500MB), plus shes a student and cant afford a $20 jump on her current cell bill (shes on a basic phone with slideout keyboard). Apparently Rogers changes their plans every 3 months we were told and that for lesser data it's still the same price.

Kinda shady if you ask me. We didn't end up getting her the phone and now shes debating MTS, ugh!

I mentioned she could probably call Rogers up and "demand" that she gets a plan like mine since her contract is up and she can just jump ship if she wanted. Hopefully she calls soon.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
With Telus if I use the option to upgrade my phone and pay out my device balance do I keep the phone? I have an iphone 4 just about to the end of the contract and I am thinking of paying it out, that becomes my wifes phone and I get a new device (not sure which one I want yet). Telus has these share plans now which I will do some looking into to see if it is a good fit.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

cobra_64 posted:

With Telus if I use the option to upgrade my phone and pay out my device balance do I keep the phone? I have an iphone 4 just about to the end of the contract and I am thinking of paying it out, that becomes my wifes phone and I get a new device (not sure which one I want yet). Telus has these share plans now which I will do some looking into to see if it is a good fit.

Yeah, the device is yours.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

Yeah, the device is yours.

Good luck unlocking it though.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Godinster posted:

Get a prepaid SaskTel SIM and $100 credit

I thought SaskTel was CDMA?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rogers tricked me into not cancelling my Note 3 reservation by offering $120 off the $240 early cancellation fee (in the form of $10 per month off my bill for the next year, of course) and now I'm wondering, can I trade in more than one phone in that trade in offer? I have an iPhone 4 collecting dust and I'm surprised it's still worth $100 to them.

I know I can sell it for more but I've had multiple bad phone selling experiences online so I'd rather not.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

tuyop posted:

Good luck unlocking it though.
Not sure about the others, but Telus will unlock anything that's been paid off or is at the end of the contract at no charge (just call their customer service).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Not sure about the others, but Telus will unlock anything that's been paid off or is at the end of the contract at no charge (just call their customer service).

The telecommunications act passed this year requires telecoms to provide unlock codes for devices off of subsidy.

Edit: I should clarify - unsubsidized phones immediately, subsidized after 90 days.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 24, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Khelmar posted:

I thought SaskTel was CDMA?

They upgraded to HSPA around the same time as Telus/Bell.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Anyone ever heard of 8com? https://www.8com.ca/mobile.php
Their phone plans looks good. I've only heard of them from the RedFlagDeals forums. Wondering if someone here has used them

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Does anyone know if Koodo throttles LTE speed below what a Telus device would get in the same conditions?

(I asked this a few weeks ago I think, but don't recall seeing a response - apologies if I missed it)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I did some looking at 8com and it looks legit, but it seems way to good to be true. I'm confused because the plans they have on their site have unlimited* internet and the deals they have in RFD have limits, though they are very high, 6 and 10GB. They use different networks in different provinces, but they are all big3, so presumably you'll get your HSPA+ and LTE if you have a big3 device.

It seems way too good to be true.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

What the gently caress, I was just coming to post about this.

I had a customer yesterday ask for a Bell SIM card to use with 8com. Me and my coworker were confused so we googled it and sure enough it's a real Canadian cellular provider. We called their customer service line to ask why they wanted a Bell SIM card, and they told me that while they use their own SIM cards, apparently they can use ours too. I have no loving clue how that works, but okay then. It's weird that you guys brought it up just after I heard about them for the first time.

I'll update the OP when I am not too lazy find more info about them.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't understand how they can provide such cheap rates while piggy backing off the big three's networks. Definitely curious, this is my first time hearing about them too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DarkJC posted:

I don't understand how they can provide such cheap rates while piggy backing off the big three's networks. Definitely curious, this is my first time hearing about them too.

Well that may be the provider I've been looking for!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

They used to be called MSN Wireless. Their Facebook still has that name. https://www.facebook.com/8comcanada?hc_location=timeline
I dunno if that means anything to anybody. Bizarre.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.
Something stinks about these guys.

Did a little bit of digging and it seems they used to operate as MSN Wireless. From what I've read, they use all of the people that sign up for their service to negotiate a corporate rate plan with Bell (or Rogers, or whoever) and then all of their customers are signed up under this corporate rate plan. Because of the volume of customers, they get great rates - they then charge a markup to each of their individual 'subscribers' to cover overhead and profit.

Not sure how true it is, but it seems to make sense and would probably be why people can use a Bell SIM on 8Com's "network." If it is true, probably not legit and I wonder how long before the carriers catch on.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

jot posted:

Something stinks about these guys.

Did a little bit of digging and it seems they used to operate as MSN Wireless. From what I've read, they use all of the people that sign up for their service to negotiate a corporate rate plan with Bell (or Rogers, or whoever) and then all of their customers are signed up under this corporate rate plan. Because of the volume of customers, they get great rates - they then charge a markup to each of their individual 'subscribers' to cover overhead and profit.

Not sure how true it is, but it seems to make sense and would probably be why people can use a Bell SIM on 8Com's "network." If it is true, probably not legit and I wonder how long before the carriers catch on.

Hmm... intriguing, although the customer service lady said that they do have their own SIM cards, my customers only came in to request a Bell SIM card because they didn't want to wait for 8com to mail them one. Also I'm curious as to how their $0 plan which looks like a prepaid service would work if they are just piggybacking off another carrier.

EDIT: Dear God look at their Facebook profile

quote:

FREE iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C Offer!

$49.99 - Gets you, Canada Wide Unlimited Calling - No Matter Where You Are! Unlimited North America Text Messaging, 10GB of Internet, Free 8COM App to call Canada/USA When you are Roaming. Caller ID, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, Conference Calling, Free Ring tunes.

PLUS!

Refer and Sign up 5 of your FAMILY or FRIENDS to 8COM and you WILL GET a FREE iPhone 5S 16GB with the $49.99 plan.

OR

Refer and Sign up 3 of your FAMILY or FRIENDS to 8COM and you WILL GET a FREE iPhone 5S 16GB with the $49.99 plan.

THIS IS NOT A DRAW.

THIS IS THE BEST OFFER OUT THERE!

Call 1-855-230-9900 or 416-745-9900 Today to Sign Up!

There is no limit to referrals to gain from the free iPhone offer.

Thank you.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 26, 2013

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
There are sketchy Bell dealers that offer 'free' iPhone and S4s and finance the device upfront cost internally and charge interest on it. It's sketchy as hell and asking for people to default on their payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
From RFD.

RFD posted:

MSNWireless (8COM Rep) had gone through his company and made a nice RFD promo for us after finding THIS thread through calls from RFDers.

Seeing the interest that accumulated, they started answering a bunch of questions.

When the RFD Promo was announced, user soccerboy created another thread detailing the plans, rates, and even went as far as updating nearly by the quarter hour.

A big influx of users, after reading the terms went on and sign up with 8COM

Issues arose from the company such as the fine prints regarding max DATA usage, text limits, voice limits on a plan that stated UNLIMITED and 10gb.

People dug further, and Howard had found that the company is related to a Limo service

People are confused by that, and started wanting information on how exactly 8COM gets their rates so cheap

The current speculation is that it's under a corporate rate with bell, and they are sharing it with the public? (not too sure if that was right?)

RFDers are unhappy with the honesty of 8COM, although they did wonderfully in trying to explain the situation.

People do not want to give information to a company that will not share it's policies, and like wise, some who have signed on already are worried about where their information is going.

It was a former company name that is now owned by 8COM and Bell has not changed it for years although they were notified.
(The limo service company what-cha-ma-callit is a side company that is owned by 8COM if I remember correctly. Think of it like Pepsi Co owns Doritos, Mountain Dew, etc..)

Seeing this, user soccerboy had decided that until MSNWireless clears up all the details, that his thread should be removed.

8COM Claims that they are are reseller of Bell, yet some people want more proof of their legitimacy

Think this pretty much answers it.
I went to bed with everyone happy about 8com. I wake up to this.