Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Did Sephiroth even talk in the first game? The only thing I remember him doing was "AAaaaaaaaahhhh" for that one big attack, he sounded very relieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Momomo posted:

Did Sephiroth even talk in the first game? The only thing I remember him doing was "AAaaaaaaaahhhh" for that one big attack, he sounded very relieved.
Pretty much, he shouted the names of a couple of his attacks but I'm not really sure why people always cite Lance Bass when all he really did was make "urgh" noises for when you hit him and chant "SIN HARVEST" every once in a while.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Pretty much, he shouted the names of a couple of his attacks but I'm not really sure why people always cite Lance Bass when all he really did was make "urgh" noises for when you hit him and chant "SIN HARVEST" every once in a while.

Yeah, plus they triple echoed his voice or something. He was fine, but it was a total waste of funds.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really doubt someone like Lance Bass is getting paid more than scale to do voice acting, even in 2002.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the main reason he took the part was because he's actually a big Final Fantasy fan.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Renoistic posted:

Leonard Nimoy carried the plot of Birth By Sleep single-handedly even though he only appeared in a few scenes. He was AWESOME.

You realize that's because he was the main villain, right? Of the entire series? That absolutely won, for all intents and purposes? Took over Terra's body, inadvertently shattered Ven's heart, had Aqua thrown into the Realm of Darkness, hosed up Radiant Garden, unleashed the Heartless, manipulated Maleficent, did tons of other bullshit?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

You realize that's because he was the main villain, right? Of the entire series? That absolutely won, for all intents and purposes? Took over Terra's body, inadvertently shattered Ven's heart, had Aqua thrown into the Realm of Darkness, hosed up Radiant Garden, unleashed the Heartless, manipulated Maleficent, did tons of other bullshit?

Well technically Aqua kicked his rear end but then made the crucial mistake of sacrificing herself to save the universe's greatest moron. Which I guess makes her the universe's greatest moron, really.

Any word on the status of BBS 2?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gologle posted:

You realize that's because he was the main villain, right? Of the entire series?

Not the entire series, only part of it. Apparently Nomura mentioned at some point that this multi-game spanning mess of Darkness, Darkness, Ansem, Darkness, Xehanort, Darkness and Darkness is only the first plot arc.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

How long until FFXV and Kingdom Hearts intersect... into Fabula Nova Crystallis? :unsmigghh:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the most anime in the series.

I can't wait for Lightning to get Luso's outfit next (for reference)

At least it doesn't have any zippers?
I'd be surprised if they didn't include a Sephiroth outfit, it seems silly to do three majors characters from FF7 and not include Sephiroth. I'd like a Seifer outfit, that trench coat was stylin'.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To elaborate, Leonard Nimoy wins no matter what happens to him. One way or the other, he's going to get to see Kingdom Hearts before the end, and considering that was his entire MO, either way he'll probably die happy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Gologle posted:

Sort of yeah. But I stopped paying any attention to the plot halfway through KH2 and have enjoyed the series much more since.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final Fantasy XIII looks extremely good and the combat is a nice, streamlined reimagination of the usual battle system. I am really enjoying the game so far, although I have barely been paying attention to the events of the story. There is actually a lot less talking going on that I was expecting, just lots of flying from interesting setpiece to interesting setpiece. I'm about halfway through Chapter 4 though, so I still have a ways to go.

The only complaint I have so far is that the beginning of the game spent way too much time in fights where all I could do was auto attack or use an AOE, could have cut out a lot of those.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The White Dragon posted:

Well, Leonard Nimoy is no stranger to voice acting. Or exceedingly embarrassing roles. After working on something like Caution: Seaman, I'm sure BBS was like Casual Friday for him.

Look if I was given the opportunity to play an evil sorcerer in a Disney game I sure as heck would take it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Great Lakes Log posted:

Final Fantasy XIII looks extremely good and the combat is a nice, streamlined reimagination of the usual battle system. I am really enjoying the game so far, although I have barely been paying attention to the events of the story. There is actually a lot less talking going on that I was expecting, just lots of flying from interesting setpiece to interesting setpiece. I'm about halfway through Chapter 4 though, so I still have a ways to go.

The only complaint I have so far is that the beginning of the game spent way too much time in fights where all I could do was auto attack or use an AOE, could have cut out a lot of those.

To me the really mindboggling choice was that all the fights you participate in from the start->anima don't grant XP. They're literally just filler until they I guess trust you enough to earn XP.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Great Lakes Log posted:

I remember the first time I entered Lake Bresha or Gapra Whitewood and just marveled at the visuals. FFXIII was basically the first moment I went, "next-gen is here."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

chumbler posted:

Well technically Aqua kicked his rear end but then made the crucial mistake of sacrificing herself to save the universe's greatest moron. Which I guess makes her the universe's greatest moron, really.

Any word on the status of BBS 2?

It's looking like KH3 is basically gonna be that? Like from the secret ending of DDD the whole plot of KH 3 is gonna be Sora, Rikku and Mickey trying to save Terra Aqua and Ventus while Kairi and Lea train under Yensid, and Lea's probably gonna try to save Roxas and maybe Xion from being trapped inside Sora given their dialogue and appearance inside Sora's heart at the end. And then this big group of Key Blade fighters will team up to smash bad guys. And maybe the other former Nobodies will show up? They apparently still have their cloaks and weapons so they can at least help out some...

I'm hoping they figure all this poo poo in the first half of the game and the second half is just a giant battle royale on a DBZ level.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's looking like KH3 is basically gonna be that? Like from the secret ending of DDD the whole plot of KH 3 is gonna be Sora, Rikku and Mickey trying to save Terra Aqua and Ventus while Kairi and Lea train under Yensid, and Lea's probably gonna try to save Roxas and maybe Xion from being trapped inside Sora given their dialogue and appearance inside Sora's heart at the end. And then this big group of Key Blade fighters will team up to smash bad guys.

I hope that there is proper backstory and poo poo in KH3. I played KH1 & 2 (though the start of 2 was confusing as gently caress since I didn't play Chain of Memories), but there's been so much since 2, I don't know what the gently caress is going on anymore.

I really kind of hate when a company puts out multiple games in a series that all contribute to a central plot, but put them on different consoles.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm sure that 2.5 will be released before KH3, so just get 1.5 and 2.5 and play all of them before hand! :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I hope that there is proper backstory and poo poo in KH3. I played KH1 & 2 (though the start of 2 was confusing as gently caress since I didn't play Chain of Memories), but there's been so much since 2, I don't know what the gently caress is going on anymore.

I really kind of hate when a company puts out multiple games in a series that all contribute to a central plot, but put them on different consoles.

There might be some but probably not much. KH:DDD was basically "Re-cap and Set Up for Finale" the game. Any time an old event was mentioned or character showed up you unlocked a fairly detailed synopsis of them and the game they appeared in which the game would tell you "Click here to read this now, otherwise check the journal".

Also 2 might have been confusing since it assumes you played CoM. It starts from the end of CoM....mostly.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Which is funny since everyone assumed that the ending to Chain of Memories was set up so that you wouldn't need to play it to understand anything. :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Which is funny since everyone assumed that the ending to Chain of Memories was set up so that you wouldn't need to play it to understand anything. :v:

And then it turned out to kind of be the second most important game w/r/t the overall plot, second only to BBS which was the Origin Story of the whole setting!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

I remember the first time I entered Lake Bresha or Gapra Whitewood and just marveled at the visuals. FFXIII was basically the first moment I went, "next-gen is here."

Absolutely. I like this hallway structure too, since it means all the backdrops can be just wonderful to look at without having any issues about detail, since you will never be able to do anything other than visually soak it in.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think one of my favorite parts in FFXIII is this one incidental conversation where a little girl asks her dad where waves come from, and her dad answers by saying waves are from water bouncing off the walls of Cocoon. It's a tiny little detail, but I love how it establishes how ingrained Cocoon is to the people living inside it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Great Lakes Log posted:

Absolutely. I like this hallway structure too, since it means all the backdrops can be just wonderful to look at without having any issues about detail, since you will never be able to do anything other than visually soak it in.

You should save this post after you're about 10-15 hours further in after lots of hallways. I, personally, felt the same way about the hallway structure, but you'll find it to be the main complaint of this thread when it comes to how FF13 was built.

However, yes, most every area in FF13 is gorgeous, even to this day. It's a technical marvel.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well I guess I do have another complaint. Why does Vanille's accent seemingly change at random?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Great Lakes Log posted:

Well I guess I do have another complaint. Why does Vanille's accent seemingly change at random?

Probably the bad voice direction. The VA who plays her is legitimately Australian, though. I just think that's how the lady sounds like between the different emotions Vanille has, which aren't that many, and range from bubbly bullshit to "introspective".

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Barudak posted:

To me the really mindboggling choice was that all the fights you participate in from the start->anima don't grant XP. They're literally just filler until they I guess trust you enough to earn XP.

One of the things I appreciate most about XIII is how it goes out of its way to make the story fit in with the mechanics. It makes sense that until Anima you wouldn't gain EXP, since you don't have anything to gain it towards yet. The Crystarium needs to be "installed" into the characters before they can gain towards it, although I would have liked if they retroactively gave you EXP/CP for the fights you finished when you get access to it. I just think it's kinda neat how things like that and the parts where the party use magic in cutscenes do a good job nailing in the world setting, even if a bunch of other things fall flat. The hallways I also thought made sense thematically, as the party are on the run the whole game up until Pulse, where they don't have to run towards/away from PSICOM anymore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Probably the bad voice direction. The VA who plays her is legitimately Australian, though. I just think that's how the lady sounds like between the different emotions Vanille has, which aren't that many, and range from bubbly bullshit to "introspective".

I remember when people used to complain about Leliana's voice in Dragon Age: Origins, saying it was a lovely fake French accent when the actress was legit French. :confused:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

One of the things I appreciate most about XIII is how it goes out of its way to make the story fit in with the mechanics. It makes sense that until Anima you wouldn't gain EXP, since you don't have anything to gain it towards yet. The Crystarium needs to be "installed" into the characters before they can gain towards it, although I would have liked if they retroactively gave you EXP/CP for the fights you finished when you get access to it. I just think it's kinda neat how things like that and the parts where the party use magic in cutscenes do a good job nailing in the world setting, even if a bunch of other things fall flat. The hallways I also thought made sense thematically, as the party are on the run the whole game up until Pulse, where they don't have to run towards/away from PSICOM anymore.

For the first part, I agree. I like that thanks to the setting the second that Galenth shoots out a ruin the party knows he's not on the level before his main introduction. The problem with the intro is as you said though; it should have given you the CP retroactively or made the section to getting to anima a lot shorter. As is if you watch the cutscenes you're looking at about two hours of play time before you can even begin leveling up which is incredibly deflating when you hit that point. There is of course, no plot reason why your lead dying game-overs you or why you can't swap leads for 14-16 hours.

I honestly would love the game a lot more if the hunts showed up earlier and if they were more varied. Most of them are "fight harder versions of this enemy" or just literally that enemy rather than FFXII's mixture of souped up regular foes and custom baddies. The fact that by the time you fight vercinogetrix you've already whomped about 2 dozen variations of it doesn't make it feel as epic as it should.

The hallways would have been fine but its pretty clear they weren't totally sure what they should be doing to mix it up. Nautilus for instance falls totally flat in that it has two complete gameplay departures (wandering a city hub and a hide-go-seek sequence) but they don't really do anything except feel like padding. Another attempt to create variety is the sun/rain orb dungeon which is so short and not reused (seriously, put hunts here) that you can just leave it to a preferred setting and run through ignoring the gimmick.

Basically, they should have slapped hunts everywhere from the start and let save points act as teleporters. Have the first pass be hallways as is and then in post game open up the side areas for hunts and exploration of each areas gimmick.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Throwing hunts earlier wouldn't make sense for a couple reasons. First, there aren't supposed to be any cieth stones in cocoon (at least as far as I remember) and second, it kind of breaks the whole "You're on the run from the cops" flow to say "Oh but you can gently caress around here and hunt down these monsters, no big deal." Of course we know there is absolutely no penalty to just farting around in any given zone since there are no actual cops to catch up to you, but adding hunts would break that feeling too much. There are certainly valid arguments that the sections before Pulse last too long, like that one room in the flagship, but adding hunts wouldn't be the way to solve that.

I will also admit that I honestly didn't really like the Pulse portions of the game. Yeah it's a nice change of pace to have a big open area, but there's nothing there except map squares I have to fill out. I'm just not a fan of big open areas in general, so I don't mind 13 being a succession of hallways at all. I also really hate backtracking in rpgs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was a war between Cocoon and Pulse; just say these Cieth are remnants with unfulfilled foci. I mean, plot-wise there is already a twist that explains they were in no real danger or need to rush so there's an excellent in game explanation for why you're able to faff about. Hunts are already optional content so its not as though revisiting areas will be galling to those looking for more to do and the areas are used once as is which prevented gimmick expansion or exploration of interesting areas and setting conceits. The farm under Palomploma is a really interesting concept but you're there for about 20 minutes tops before its on to the next thing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey ya'll , there's a Kingdom Hearts Megathread over here, in case you want to continue discussing it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed you remember the names of places in that game. Still, six years after the 360 drops and fancy backdrops are what it takes for you to realize that it's been a thing?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azure_Horizon posted:

Yeah, that was something a lot of people pointed out. Rachel Robinson, who played Fang, was an American yet was praised for having a more natural-sounding Australian accent than Georgia Van Cuylenburg, a native Australian. Go figure.

I'm about halfway through replaying XIII right now (for reasons that still elude me) and one of the things I noticed was how much better a character Vanille was (...relatively speaking) when you have the same level of situation awareness that she does. She goes from "so annoying I could strangle her" to "oh GOD what a lovely life you have, no wonder you're trying so hard to be happy :smith:."

Of course, that doesn't save it from being FFXIII, though. But it comes close to getting there.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed you remember the names of places in that game. Still, six years after the 360 drops and fancy backdrops are what it takes for you to realize that it's been a thing?

It was the first game that impressed me on a purely graphical level, yes. I don't really see why you care.

In terms of Vanille, this is still the best thing involving her and her voice actress.

Look at you, you're not even A MAN!!

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 24, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azure_Horizon posted:

It was the first game that impressed me on a purely graphical level, yes. I don't really see why you care.

In terms of Vanille, this is still the best thing involving her and her voice actress.

You know, if Vanille had coped with all her grief and guilt by going legit cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs crazy and that was her big character reveal, FFXIII would have instantly been 100x better than what it turned out to be. Just sayin'.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well, yeah. But Toriyama couldn't write something that nuanced, nor would they be willing to risk an M rating with Sazh the Coke Dealer and Vanille the Psychobitch.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I just finished 13 last week, and even though I enjoyed it overall, there are certainly many, many legitimate criticisms about it. That said, I was kind of waiting for it to get as bad as the more vocal critics in this thread say it does, kept waiting for the "hope your name is hope" line, etc. and I guess going into it maybe tempered my expectations. I didn't mind reading all about the world in the datalogs, though I can understand if you just kind of mentally check out, the story is going to seem super incomprehensible (instead of just regularly incomprehensible). I actually enjoyed a some of the little character moments, and while I will probably go back and do some more hunts later (getting a bunch of CP and then just upgrading all at once just *feels* good for some reason; hold dat circle button), I will not likely do so any time soon. It's super gorgeous though... The first time I finally noticed the giant Titan over the hills on the Steppe was pretty neat.
If I had to rank it in the main series, it'd be lowish I suppose, but not near the bottom.

I also have 13-2 sitting here, but I need a respite from FFs for a little bit. I'm not really looking forward to it though because I don't really like open-ended/multiple path/pokemon stuff... oh and there's a casino too, so I see. So yeah, a lot of things from the get-go I'm a little apprehensive about.

Now the only main series game I have never played is 10, so I am really looking forward to the re-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Are we still talking about dubbing? Because the best voice for Aeris would have been Olivia Olson doing her full on ain't-givin'-a-poo poo teenage vampire queen best.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I totally remember the place names too, though it's basically just from listening to the soundtrack a lot. :v:

There are some super-cool visual moments even with the linearity. Seeing Lake Bresha for the first time was cool, but my favorite part of it was the transition between the crystallized lake and the ruins beyond, because contrasts like that tell a story where dialogue and exposition fails. Similarly, the entire sequence across the Sunleth Waterscape was immensely gorgeous.

Not a lot of XIII-2's scenery did it for me quite so well, but seeing that place all overgrown and gigantic was legit cool.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Holy christ. :allears: