Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

That being said, I am stupidly excited to get back into things since one of my friends is helping me buy my first Perfect Grade in a couple months. Any good suggestions? I was thinking the Strike but I'm up for almost anything that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. 00 Raiser, Strike Freedom, etc.)

If you're issue is with just expense, there was a recent release of a third-party PG Strike Freedom for only 130 US dollars. If that's not your thing, I can vouch for GP01/fb. It's a great PG if only for the fact that you basically get two kits in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
MG X3. :toot:

Another web exclusive, but you can still find X2s drat near anywhere so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/gundam-build-fighters-op-theme-song.html

Why do they keep trying to push the HG Freedom? It's an awful piece of crap!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/gundam-build-fighters-op-theme-song.html

Why do they keep trying to push the HG Freedom? It's an awful piece of crap!

Cause dumb SEED fans will eat it up.

For anyone who's curious, BTF have released the Double Fin Funnel set for Nu Gundam ver. ka, complete with psychoframe.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

The Gundam Mk II and GPO1 are consistently well spoken of.

The Mk II PG had an unfortunate tendency to topple backwards on its heels on me - but that's just the square-root law at work. Thing's ginormous and static joints can only do so much. Your rear end would topple over too if you were asked to stand up straight and not use your muscles to hold yourself in place.

I'd almost rather do the GP01 now, because part of the fun of a PG is cutting parts off sprues and putting them together for a solid week, and GP01 would be more like a week and a half.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Phy posted:

The Mk II PG had an unfortunate tendency to topple backwards on its heels on me - but that's just the square-root law at work.

I'm pretty sure that's more your fault. MK. II should not be falling over like that if you've got him properly balanced. It's not like he has a giant backpack that's leaning him backwards.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Loose ankle joints have been a long-standing issue for the PG Mk.II, so it's not just him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Loose joints in general plague PGs prior to the Strike. It's simple enough to tighten them up (and in certain temperatures/climates it might not even be an issue), but it's still a thing.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
On the other hand, my PG RX-78-2's ankles were so tight that the polycaps split.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So there was a recent poll for favorite MGs.

Results:
    1. Nu Gundam vKa
    2. Extraordinary Superior Gundam
    3. Turn A Gundam
    4. Zeta Gundam 2.0
    5. Full Armor Unicorn Gundam vKa
    6. Strike Freedom Gundam
    7. Gundam 3.0
    8. Dom
    9. Gundam 2.0
    10. Gundam 1.0
    11. Aile Strike Gundam vRM
    12. Zaku II 1.0
    13. Unicorn Gundam vKa
    14. Acguy
    15. Victory Gundam vKa
    16. Sinanju vKa
    17. Gundam mkII 2.0
    18. Gundam Exia
    19. Char's Zaku II 2.0
    20. Wing Zero Gundam vEW
    21. 00 Raiser
    22. Ball vKa
    23. 00 Qan[t]
    24. Zeta Gundam 1.0
    25. V-Dash Gundam vKa
    26. Gouf 2.0
    27. Hi-Nu Gundam
    28. Qubeley
    29. Gundam vOYW
    30. Gundam vKa
    31. The O
    32. Perfect Gundam
    33. Sazabi
    34. God Gundam
    35. Hyaku Shiki
    36. Freedom Gundam
    37. Crossbone Gundam X-1 Full Cloth
    38. Gundam F91
    39. Tallgeese vEW
    40. Destiny Gundam
    41. Red Frame Kai
    42. Unicorn Gundam vOVA
    43. Jesta
    44. Zaku II 2.0
    45. Superior Gundam
    46. Wing Gundam vKa
    47. Johnny Ridden's Zaku II 2.0
    48. Infinite Justice Gundam
    49. Char's Z'gok
    50. Marasai

Some of these are silly, but Turn A being in third just makes me :unsmith:.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress yeah, Turn A! Maybe this will inspire an MG Sumo, Turn X or that weird tan one that the clown girl piloted.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Some really bad kits in that list. People are dumb.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010
10th place. Ahahahaha what the actual gently caress.

quote:

Some of these are silly, but Turn A being in third just makes me :unsmith:
I like how the top 10 is "gundam, gundam, gund...the Dom."
I agree that the Dom was a pretty good kit for its time (dem fingers!) but it beat the Gundam 2.0 and Zaku 2.0??

quote:

Some really bad kits in that list. People are dumb.
Which really hits home that it's just a big dumb popularity contest :rolleyes:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

UncleRadnor posted:

Which really hits home that it's just a big dumb popularity contest :rolleyes:

I didn't even know the Dom was that popular. I'd say they could use it to choose which MGs to release next year, but most of the really popular kits don't need updated versions. Bring on the MG Dom 3.0, I guess :shrug:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

UncleRadnor posted:

10th place. Ahahahaha what the actual gently caress.

Truth be told, I love that one just because it was so mind-blowingly awesome when it came out, and I think the styling holds up pretty well even if the execution doesn't.

But just because I have warm feelings for it does not make it a "best of" or even particularly good, so yeah it's a pretty meaningless list.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

While there's a ton of "this model is only so high because it's popular/iconic" (Unicorns, Gundam 1.0), there's an undeniable amount of actual modeler presence in the poll. Just look at Turn A.

Red Bones posted:

I didn't even know the Dom was that popular. I'd say they could use it to choose which MGs to release next year, but most of the really popular kits don't need updated versions. Bring on the MG Dom 3.0, I guess :shrug:

There hasn't been a Dom 2.0 so that would be kind of cool actually!

EDIT: Kind of a shame nothing from AGE got in though. Come on Japan, we need Bandai to release MG Age-1 Full Gransa. :(

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 20, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
God Gundam being in the top 50 warms the cockles of my heart :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The EX-S being number 2 and FA Unicorn being number 5 makes me so happy, you have no idea. :allears:

Maybe we'll get some more ridiculously huge suits like those in the future. (EX-S 2.0, come on, Bandai, just do it.)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I only have 8 MGs, but I will say that the Dom and Z'Gok are really good and pretty posable for old kits. My Char's Zaku II ver. 2.0 and the Gundam MK. II 2.0 are my best by far and are crazy articulated and awesome, but the Dom is pretty good, too. It's not like a Dom is going to be able to crouch or sit down with those huge rear end legs. He can flip you the bird, though! And besides, it's not like you need to pose the legs much anyway because they scoot along the ground like hovercraft.

I just wish they would make 2.0 versions of the Kampfer, RX-78NT-1 Alex, and GP02A Physalis because I love those designs but everyone tells me their actual models suck. :(

Also, I would kill for an MG Hygogg.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://imgur.com/6izcJmW,jjc2HQU,1zapKoq,5iaQapq

A little something i've been working on for a while now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

So there was a recent poll for favorite MGs.

Some of these are silly, but Turn A being in third just makes me :unsmith:.

I love that theres 5 different RX-78s and 4 different Zakus.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I managed to find and purchase a Soul of Chogokin God Mars today. Needless to say for my first SoC, that thing is freakin' amazing. Are the other ones as high quality? I know this is one of the more expensive ones, but I got it at such a great deal I couldn't resist. Are the cheaper ones of similar quality?

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 21, 2013

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So I managed to find and purchase a Soul of Chogokin God Mars today. Needless to say for my first SoC, that thing is freakin' amazing. Are the other ones as high quality? I know this is one of the more expensive ones, but I got it at such a great deal I couldn't resist. Are the cheaper ones of similar quality?

I only have a handful of Soul of Chogokin figures myself, due to the fact that they're generally expensive as all balls, but I can attest to their overall quality. My Ideon for example is probably my favorite single piece in my entire collection. Walker Gallia from Xabungle is also top-notch, with its ratcheting joints and slick metallic paintjob. Even the Spec figures I own - Opening Silhouette Dragonar and SPT Layzner - are pretty awesome, though due to the fact that the line gimmick is plastic armor on a die-cast frame, you do end up having some issues with armor popping off if you handle it the wrong way.

If you're interested, there's also the Super Robot Chogokin line, which features many of the same robots at a slightly smaller scale and a cheaper price-point. They're not as die-cast heavy and they aren't packed with as many accessories as their Soul of cousins, but they make up for it in extreme articulation and really nice sculpting. Just be forewarned that sometimes the metal-on-metal balljoints can find a way to loosen over time and with activity (though sometimes when you pull the figures out of the box for the first time the joints are usually so stiff you're afraid you might snap something), but the weight and general sturdiness of the figures themselves usually prevent this from being any kind of real problem. Just wanted to note that since my brand-new Shin Getter-1 has weird issues with its left shoulder where it won't hold its place in certain positions yet is solid in others. This problem is probably A: specific to my particular figure and B: due how I handled it, but I want to be honest. Plus of course I have the first figure the line ever released (Mazinger Z), and despite the fact that he can totally stand on his own, when you pick him up his legs will sag straight down due to the weight of the diecast. On the other hand, I've got a Gunbuster, a Grendizer, a Shin Mazinger Z, a Great Mazinger, and a DaiZyuJin that have zero issues. Chipped the paint on Alteisen, though, but that was my fault for not moving the armor plates before posing him.

Anyway, my point is Chogokin figures are generally pretty awesome.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 21, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

I only have a handful of Soul of Chogokin figures myself, due to the fact that they're generally expensive as all balls, but I can attest to their overall quality. My Ideon for example is probably my favorite single piece in my entire collection. Walker Gallia from Xabungle is also top-notch, with its ratcheting joints and slick metallic paintjob. Even the Spec figures I own - Opening Silhouette Dragonar and SPT Layzner - are pretty awesome, though due to the fact that the line gimmick is plastic armor on a die-cast frame, you do end up having some issues with armor popping off if you handle it the wrong way.

If you're interested, there's also the Super Robot Chogokin line, which features many of the same robots at a slightly smaller scale and a cheaper price-point. They're not as die-cast heavy and they aren't packed with as many accessories as their Soul of cousins, but they make up for it in extreme articulation and really nice sculpting. Just be forewarned that sometimes the metal-on-metal balljoints can find a way to loosen over time and with activity (though sometimes when you pull the figures out of the box for the first time the joints are usually so stiff you're afraid you might snap something), but the weight and general sturdiness of the figures themselves usually prevent this from being any kind of real problem. Just wanted to note that since my brand-new Shin Getter-1 has weird issues with its left shoulder where it won't hold its place in certain positions yet is solid in others. This problem is probably A: specific to my particular figure and B: due how I handled it, but I want to be honest. Plus of course I have the first figure the line ever released (Mazinger Z), and despite the fact that he can totally stand on his own, when you pick him up his legs will sag straight down due to the weight of the diecast. On the other hand, I've got a Gunbuster, a Grendizer, a Shin Mazinger Z, a Great Mazinger, and a DaiZyuJin that have zero issues. Chipped the paint on Alteisen, though, but that was my fault for not moving the armor plates before posing him.

Anyway, my point is Chogokin figures are generally pretty awesome.

See I was originally just going to get the SRoC Chogokin Shin Getter, but I saw the SoC God Mars for 135 and couldn't pass that up. I have looked into the SRoC stuff and the Gunbuster is on my list. I definitely want more of the SRoC stuff due to price, I was just curious about the SoC because the quality was just outstanding and it's the only one I found for a price I am comfortable with. Thanks so much for the information though! Definitely helps my puchasing.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

See I was originally just going to get the SRoC Chogokin Shin Getter, but I saw the SoC God Mars for 135 and couldn't pass that up. I have looked into the SRoC stuff and the Gunbuster is on my list. I definitely want more of the SRoC stuff due to price, I was just curious about the SoC because the quality was just outstanding and it's the only one I found for a price I am comfortable with. Thanks so much for the information though! Definitely helps my puchasing.

Not a problem. Just don't let me ramblings dissuade you from eventually picking up the SRC Shin Getter. Outside of that extremely minor issue I mentioned, the figure itself is otherwise fantastic and kind of insane. There are FOUR joints for the shoulders alone, and that is not even including the fact that it has a separate BICEP joint on top of double-jointed elbows. Plus it comes with a scythe blade that is as tall as the figure itself. Hands down one of the best figures they've released (the actual best is Grendizer). Can't wait for the Mazinkaiser to come out.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I think the only SRC I've been not totally happy with is Reideen and the Mazinger problem you mentioned. Mine is more if you pick him up his chest/torso joint does the extension thing and goes super floopy. Other than that my only complaint about SRC stuff is Gurren Lagann's balljoints in his wrist for swapping his hands are a nightmare for me because they're so small, but that's some pretty nitpicky stuff. Like they even give you alternate mane parts for GaoGaiGar's chest so he can put his arms together for the Hell and Heaven pose! Definitely agree on Shin Getter, he's fantastic.

For buying Soul of Chogokin stuff that's generally how it goes, you'll see something and go "that's cool" and then you'll search for prices, find one that you consider reasonable and then buy it ASAP before someone else grabs it. Welcome to Toy Collector Hell.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

Not a problem. Just don't let me ramblings dissuade you from eventually picking up the SRC Shin Getter. Outside of that extremely minor issue I mentioned, the figure itself is otherwise fantastic and kind of insane. There are FOUR joints for the shoulders alone, and that is not even including the fact that it has a separate BICEP joint on top of double-jointed elbows. Plus it comes with a scythe blade that is as tall as the figure itself. Hands down one of the best figures they've released (the actual best is Grendizer). Can't wait for the Mazinkaiser to come out.

When I heard that the Mazinkaiser has a parts kit just to do the Obari pose, I was sold. Also at somepoint I really want some figures or kits from Overman King Gainer. I love those units.

EthanSteele posted:

I think the only SRC I've been not totally happy with is Reideen and the Mazinger problem you mentioned. Mine is more if you pick him up his chest/torso joint does the extension thing and goes super floopy. Other than that my only complaint about SRC stuff is Gurren Lagann's balljoints in his wrist for swapping his hands are a nightmare for me because they're so small, but that's some pretty nitpicky stuff. Like they even give you alternate mane parts for GaoGaiGar's chest so he can put his arms together for the Hell and Heaven pose! Definitely agree on Shin Getter, he's fantastic.

For buying Soul of Chogokin stuff that's generally how it goes, you'll see something and go "that's cool" and then you'll search for prices, find one that you consider reasonable and then buy it ASAP before someone else grabs it. Welcome to Toy Collector Hell.

Yeah GodMars on Amazon starts at 600 then 495 with 100 dollar shipping, so paying 135 for it was a steal. Not to mention the fact that the drat thing is huge. It comes up to the shoulders on the 1/35 RX-78 Mega size kit.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 21, 2013

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Oh that reminds me, Oblique Angle have you considered ordering the Destiny Extreme Blast's effect parts from Gentei Kits? It costs 3060 yen before shipping for the Wings of Light and the O Runner, but that's still better than buying an Extreme Blast. And the Destiny just doesn't look complete without those giant pink effect parts.

I had no idea such a thing was even possible, to be honest. 30 bucks seems a bit steep for a couple hunks of plastic, but I'll probably buy them anyways since you're right, without the giant glowing wings the kit can't reach peak ridiculousness. Thanks for the info!

Speaking of wings, who else thought that Wing Zero EW wasn't already ostentatious enough?

:getin:

The silver doesn't show up as well as the gold, but it's there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Having seen them in person, let me assure you that MG Destiny's wings of light are loving huge. If you put the wings to full extension and had the kit stand up straight, the wing effect parts would be as tall as the black caps on the wings and as wide as the the distance between the shoulders (minus the boomerangs). And you get two of these.

Of course this has some drawbacks; I hear a lot of people have trouble getting the transparent connector parts to stay on, likely due to the weight of the wings. Glue is usually the recommended solution if you want to still be able to fuss around with the kit without having to constantly reattach the effect parts.

Here's where you'll want to go to get them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I present my completed PG Gundam GP01 "Half Burner":

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Looks like Gato gave Kou a pretty good beating :v:

Nice job on the weathering.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yesterday I learned that Tamiya acrylic paint bottles are $2 a pop and barely have any paint in them and one bottle of white isn't enough for a single HG kit. And their primer spray cans are $10 a pop and you need more than one per kit too.

Also, I learned that my cheap $35 spray gun can't do shading.

Well, my first foray into airbrushing ended in failure. I hosed you up, God Gundam. You got shining fingered. :negative:

Maybe I'll just stick with testors enamel spray cans when the weather's nice.

Besides, Gundam kits look okay with just panel lining and a matte topcoat anyway. =/

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
HGAC Wing Gundam: The Perfect HG Kit?

I'm convinced Lowe is the ultimate Gunpla builder, just in 1/1 scale

Who wants more Bearguy?

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 23, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Okay, very funny. Who's Gurren Lagaan/Red Frame fan creation is this?

Also, is that picture inferring it's compatible with the Build Fighter packs?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I swear, someone is going to buy that to do a Monokuma custom and to piss me off.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The hell?!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I honestly don't know what's dumber: The BEAM half-cape, or the battle-unicycle.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

All these images just keep reinforcing the fact that I am going to love build fighters.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

I honestly don't know what's better: The BEAM half-cape, or the battle-unicycle.

Fixed that for you.

I think I'm going to enjoy Build Fighters if they keep up this level of silly accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

It took me a few looks to realize this is an actual product. I'm really looking forward to the line.

• Locked thread