Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Minneapolis has a $20 fee to get on the Mayoral ballot and Instant Runoff Voting. This is the result.

Captain Jack Sparrow of the Ocupirate Party

And Jeff Wager, who promises that he won't go to the strip clubs... anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODbfSBvnTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

And Jeff Wager, who promises that he won't go to the strip clubs... anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODbfSBvnTo

If I were going to vote for him then I would probably be ok with him continuing to go to strip clubs.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

Minneapolis has a $20 fee to get on the Mayoral ballot and Instant Runoff Voting. This is the result.

Captain Jack Sparrow of the Ocupirate Party

Did they force some random jail road crew into attending?
What does the Ocupirate Party advocate for anyway? poo poo, now I need to go look.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Thompson will concede to BdB in the NYC Mayoral Race

quote:

Mayoral also-ran Bill Thompson plans to throw in the towel Monday after the city’s recanvassing of the Democratic primary vote made clear his rival Bill de Blasio’s strong first-place lead wasn’t going to change, sources told the Daily News.

Thompson plans a mid-morning press conference to give a concession speech and throw his weight behind Public Advocate de Blasio, who polled 40.2% of the vote to Thompson’s 26.2%, the sources said.

The city Board of Elections began rechecking the results in 5,059 lever machines over the weekend and the results stayed steady, the sources said.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Gosh, the crazies only want to get crazier. Of all Republican representatives, North Carolina's original teapartier Renee Ellmers is now a major Tea Party target.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Isn't Pete Sessions also getting a Tea Party challenge?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did you know today was constitution day? I sure didn't. Thanks for informing me and everyone on the University of Kentucky's campus Mitch and thanks for the free apple pie!

Grimes, you've got a little over a year to catch up on the free pie race for students. FYI pizza is worth more than terrible food service apple pie!

ps: I saw the sign up sheet for team mitch. It was empty. :laugh:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 17, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

hobbesmaster posted:

Did you know today was constitution day? I sure didn't. Thanks for informing me and everyone on the University of Kentucky's campus Mitch and thanks for the free apple pie!

Grimes, you've got a little over a year to catch up on the free pie race for students. FYI pizza is worth more than terrible food service apple pie!

ps: I saw the sign up sheet for team mitch. It was empty. :laugh:

Did you not even try to sign up as Weedlord Bonerhitler? Shameful.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nice Davis posted:

Now I'm having flashbacks to that stupid thing the GOP did where they encouraged people to send faxes in saying they were against Obamacare and put a webcam up to record them as they came in. How many times did "Weedlord Bonerhitler" come through?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nice Davis posted:

I thought blank was funnier. :shobon:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Now I'm having flashbacks to that stupid thing the GOP did where they encouraged people to send faxes in saying they were against Obamacare and put a webcam up to record them as they came in. How many times did "Weedlord Bonerhitler" come through?

Relive the magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCMetPr-uk

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So...I missed this earlier, but apparently everyone's favorite campaigner, Martha Coakley, is running for Governor.

I'm looking forward to the grandmaster lesson in showmanship.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Gosh, the crazies only want to get crazier. Of all Republican representatives, North Carolina's original teapartier Renee Ellmers is now a major Tea Party target.

How the gently caress do you get to the right of Renee Ellmers. Reminder, this is the woman who ran with this campaign ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_xu7xoT6c

Constantinople!
Victory Mosques!
Muslims!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

OAquinas posted:

So...I missed this earlier, but apparently everyone's favorite campaigner, Martha Coakley, is running for Governor.

It's gonna be cheerful fiscal leprechaun Grossman on the D ticket. He wants it and he's gonna go for it. Whether it's Gomez, Brown (assuming he doesn't follow through and move to NH) or Mystery Box on the R side is open to debate, but I am fairly confident that Treasurer Grossman is going to be introduced as "Our next governor" at a lot of D events in the coming months.

State Senator Barry Finegold is already measuring Grossman's office for drapes or whatever, he might get an R challenge but he also raises more money than God so unless Scott Brown is partially lobotomized and decides to run for Treasurer he'll get it. And I have an idea of who might step into Finegold's seat, too, but at that point we're in teeny tiny local Massachusetts politics and who cares.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What happened to Capuano?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I have an idea of who might step into Finegold's seat, too, but at that point we're in teeny tiny local Massachusetts politics and who cares.

I'm from Andover so I do :)

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Badger of Basra posted:

What happened to Capuano?

He looked like he was putting feelers out earlier in the year but he's been quiet for a while now. Its becoming a pretty crowded field and its possible he doesn't want to lose his seat just for the potential of being Governor. He still has time to announce but that time is quickly beginning to pass. That said he would be my choice, Capuano is amazing, but I'll vote for pretty much any of the Democrats just so Charlie Baker never becomes Governor.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

OAquinas posted:

I think a lot of people would vote for her should she get the nomination, but goddamn there's no way in hell I'd vote for her in the primary

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's gonna be cheerful fiscal leprechaun Grossman on the D ticket. He wants it and he's gonna go for it. Whether it's Gomez, Brown (assuming he doesn't follow through and move to NH) or Mystery Box on the R side is open to debate, but I am fairly confident that Treasurer Grossman is going to be introduced as "Our next governor" at a lot of D events in the coming months.

State Senator Barry Finegold is already measuring Grossman's office for drapes or whatever, he might get an R challenge but he also raises more money than God so unless Scott Brown is partially lobotomized and decides to run for Treasurer he'll get it. And I have an idea of who might step into Finegold's seat, too, but at that point we're in teeny tiny local Massachusetts politics and who cares.

Brown announced he wasn't running for governor a while back. Charlie Baker, former gubernatorial candidate and Harvard Pilgrim CEO, is running on the Republican side--and if Gomez runs he'll get trampled.

As for Coakley? She's radioactive enough that no one will touch her in a primary. If she survives it'll be a miracle.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Riptor posted:

I'm from Andover so I do :)

Well then it'll probably be Barbara L'Italien. She's got the organization and the fundraising and she won big in Andover last cycle, there's just too many deep red towns around it (North Andover, Tewksbury, Boxford) since the redistricting. Barry's district has lots of Dracut and Lawrence which are pretty darn blue. Plus the guy that ran against Barry last time, if he goes up again, is a complete joke and doesn't stand a chance.

I don't know if Charlie Baker gets another bite at the apple so soon. However, according to Politico Gomez is thinking of taking another run at Markey, which is pretty dumb but w/e. The Rs don't exactly have a deep bench for statewide office, I mean there's Bruce Tarr but the effort to get him going has been pretty anemic and I think he knows he can't win a statewide race.

Coakley stands no chance and she should know that. It's gonna be Grossman/Baker (I still think if he can't beat Deval Patrick in 2010 he can't beat Grossman now, and I think Gabriel Gomez is more dangerous than most people realize, but I recognize that he's not very seasoned yet).

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't know if Charlie Baker gets another bite at the apple so soon. However, according to Politico Gomez is thinking of taking another run at Markey, which is pretty dumb but w/e. The Rs don't exactly have a deep bench for statewide office, I mean there's Bruce Tarr but the effort to get him going has been pretty anemic and I think he knows he can't win a statewide race.

Coakley stands no chance and she should know that. It's gonna be Grossman/Baker (I still think if he can't beat Deval Patrick in 2010 he can't beat Grossman now, and I think Gabriel Gomez is more dangerous than most people realize, but I recognize that he's not very seasoned yet).

I'd have to disagree on Gomez, I don't see any scenario in which he becomes dangerous. He's a terrible candidate and only won the nomination in the special election because the other candidates were even bigger jokes. I wouldn't be surprised if Baker tries to pick him up as a running mate, but I don't see Gomez helping at all. Baker's campaign makes very little sense, he's trying to run like hes a different man but his last run was only four years ago, not long enough for people to forget.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
How about Russ Feingold? Has he made any moves to get back into the Senate, or run against Walker? I heard that he's working under Kerry at State, but that's about it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Sir Tonk posted:

How about Russ Feingold? Has he made any moves to get back into the Senate, or run against Walker? I heard that he's working under Kerry at State, but that's about it.

The conventional wisdom, which Feingold himself has hinted at, is that he's a good possibility to run for something in 2016, whether in a rematch against Johnson or as the DFA type "netroots" candidate for president. He is not running for anything in 2014.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

The conventional wisdom, which Feingold himself has hinted at, is that he's a good possibility to run for something in 2016, whether in a rematch against Johnson or as the DFA type "netroots" candidate for president. He is not running for anything in 2014.

Wonder how he'd do in a rematch against Ron Johnson. He really got hosed in 2010.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rick Snyder on whether he's running again or not next year(he is): "Stay tuned!"

There is a new website with a new video by Fred Davis. Davis is the man who made his "One tough nerd" ad in 2010, and also produced Hoekstra's "Debbie Spenditnow" Superbowl ad in 2012. This new 5 minute ad is called "One Successful Nerd."

Comments on Youtube are already disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cligs37zg

He's been fundraising like crazy and had nominating petitions at the Mackinac Republican Leadership Conference that are due in April. He insists there is no official announcement yet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Fred Davis needs to be launched into the sun.

I'm watching the slow prep for Rick Scott's reelection campaign in Florida with considerable interest. It's fascinating to watch him kinda-sorta tack center, presumably after being horrified by the blue turnout in 2012.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm watching the slow prep for Rick Scott's reelection campaign in Florida with considerable interest. It's fascinating to watch him kinda-sorta tack center, presumably after being horrified by the blue turnout in 2012.

Alex Sink, the Democrat he defeated in 2010, just announced she will not try again next year. So far the only Dem to throw his or her hat in the ring is former State Senate Minority Leader Nan Rich, and no one knows who the gently caress she is and she predictably hasn't been able to raise any kind of money or profile. Book it: Scott is gonna win re-election. :getin:

I guess that just leaves Charlie Crist. It says a lot about the state of the Democratic Party of Florida when they're pinning all their hopes on a former Republican with a ton of skeletons in his closet.

I still want former Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio to run...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A study in contrasts beginning with Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA).

And now including Representative Bruce Braley (D-IA), candidate for Senate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Joementum posted:

Bruce Braley will be a solid progressive Senator, but I hope he heralds in a new left-wing era of Twitter trolling to counteract Booker's relentless cheeriness and completely earnest answers to literally every tweet directed at him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ballz posted:

Alex Sink, the Democrat he defeated in 2010, just announced she will not try again next year. So far the only Dem to throw his or her hat in the ring is former State Senate Minority Leader Nan Rich, and no one knows who the gently caress she is and she predictably hasn't been able to raise any kind of money or profile. Book it: Scott is gonna win re-election. :getin:

I guess that just leaves Charlie Crist. It says a lot about the state of the Democratic Party of Florida when they're pinning all their hopes on a former Republican with a ton of skeletons in his closet.

I still want former Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio to run...

Rick Scott still suffers from the severe handicap of being Rick Scott. I have yet to meet anyone who likes him, and I met several of the mythic enthusiastic Romeny supporters. I'm going to be surprised if he doesn't get primaried. Especially with his horribly anemic tacks toward center. Gotta hand it to the guy, he knows how to piss off people on all sides of the political spectrum with bullshit that is both heresy to the far right and transparent pandering to everyone else.

My understanding though is that Crist is all but certainly throwing his hat in the ring. Which is what is causing everyone else to take a pass. I mean, it's not like the governor voted most resembling a serial killer has much room to fight skeletons in his opponent's closet. Especially not the guy that has been made retroactively great in the memories of the electorate through the actions of Rick Scott. I mean, Crist was pretty popular before he decided to run for the Senate to start with.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
In further news of an unexciting election, no big name Republicans have stepped forward to challenge Jeff Merkley, the junior senator from Oregon.

Jeff Merkley won in the 2008 Obama landslide, against Gordon Smith, a moderate Republican Senator. He won by a narrow plurality, and might not have won if a Constitution Party candidate hadn't gotten 5% of the vote. However, despite that narrow margin, he is probably going to be in comfortable circumstances this year: he is an incumbent Democrat in a Democratic state. And most tellingly, there doesn't seem to be any Republicans who have declared a solid interest.

Of course, since there are no Republicans who hold statewide office in Oregon, the would be challengers are pretty much confined to state legislators, or maybe the odd businessman or professional basketball player. So it looks like this race will be non-competitive.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gyges posted:

Rick Scott still suffers from the severe handicap of being Rick Scott. I have yet to meet anyone who likes him, and I met several of the mythic enthusiastic Romeny supporters. I'm going to be surprised if he doesn't get primaried. Especially with his horribly anemic tacks toward center. Gotta hand it to the guy, he knows how to piss off people on all sides of the political spectrum with bullshit that is both heresy to the far right and transparent pandering to everyone else.

My understanding though is that Crist is all but certainly throwing his hat in the ring. Which is what is causing everyone else to take a pass. I mean, it's not like the governor voted most resembling a serial killer has much room to fight skeletons in his opponent's closet. Especially not the guy that has been made retroactively great in the memories of the electorate through the actions of Rick Scott. I mean, Crist was pretty popular before he decided to run for the Senate to start with.

I haven't heard a peep about anyone primarying Scott. I too, know of nobody who likes Scott, but I do know several who hold the attitude of "We could have somebody worse than Rick Scott. We could have a Democrat." They'll hold their noses and vote for him on election day.

Crist burned more than a few bridges during his transformation to the Democratic Party. Conservatives despise him, so he'll have to rely on liberal and independent voters to pull out a win. That... didn't work out for him too well the last time he ran for public office.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ballz posted:

I haven't heard a peep about anyone primarying Scott. I too, know of nobody who likes Scott, but I do know several who hold the attitude of "We could have somebody worse than Rick Scott. We could have a Democrat." They'll hold their noses and vote for him on election day.

Crist burned more than a few bridges during his transformation to the Democratic Party. Conservatives despise him, so he'll have to rely on liberal and independent voters to pull out a win. That... didn't work out for him too well the last time he ran for public office.

He ran in 2010 after being kicked out of the Republican party for impurity. The same year that Rick Scott got into the Governor's Office by the skin of his teeth despite the Tea Party revolt. I just don't see the number of people pissed off at Crist outnumbering the people pissed off at Rick Scott.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ballz posted:

No, that didn't work well when he was relying on dem votes while there was another actual dem candidate. The vote split got Rubio in; had that vote not split Crist would be a Senator.

So if he runs as an actual Dem, he should have a great shot at recapturing the gov office...for what good it'll do with solid GOP state congress majorities.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Joementum posted:

This is like peak Iowa politics.

article posted:

DES MOINES (AP) --- Officials say Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds are OK after their SUV hit a deer on Interstate 35 in central Iowa.

Branstad spokesman Tim Albrecht said Branstad, Reynolds and longtime aide Margaret Hough were returning to Des Moines from an event in Eldora Wednesday afternoon when the accident happened north of Story City.

Albrecht said two deer ran in front of the Iowa State Patrol vehicle and the driver, Sgt. Dan O’Connell, hit the brakes. A third deer then hit the driver’s side corner.

Albrecht said the SUV, a Chevy Tahoe, was damaged, and the driver’s door can’t be opened.

Albrecht said everyone was “startled,” but they’re OK. He said the deer died.

Patrol spokesman Sgt. Scott Bright estimates damage to the SUV at $8,000.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 23, 2013

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

OAquinas posted:

No, that didn't work well when he was relying on dem votes while there was another actual dem candidate. The vote split got Rubio in; had that vote not split Crist would be a Senator.

So if he runs as an actual Dem, he should have a great shot at recapturing the gov office...for what good it'll do with solid GOP state congress majorities.

Huh, I just looked it up and see you're right. I could've sworn that if you combined Crist and Meek it still came up less than Rubio, but I just looked it up and see I was mistaken.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Apparently the only thing that goes on in Iowa between national election seasons is people hitting deer. Could you guys channel this energy into hitting more political candidates during election seasons?

"I dunno man, the Representative just came out of nowhere. None of us seen nothin' and then bam."

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Ballz posted:

There has been at least one primary challenger who filed papers to run but she seems like a no name wanna-be who hasn't gotten any traction yet. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't gotten more of a primary fight than that since at one time he had a less than 50% approval rating from Republicans alone with every other group hating him even more. He also tacked left on increasing teacher salaries and passed the largest budget in FL history which can't have gone down well with the Tea Party crowd. When you look certain to lose re-election and your own base is branding you as a RINO, getting at least one credible primary challenger seems inevitable.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

PDP-1 posted:

There has been at least one primary challenger who filed papers to run but she seems like a no name wanna-be who hasn't gotten any traction yet. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't gotten more of a primary fight than that since at one time he had a less than 50% approval rating from Republicans alone with every other group hating him even more. He also tacked left on increasing teacher salaries and passed the largest budget in FL history which can't have gone down well with the Tea Party crowd. When you look certain to lose re-election and your own base is branding you as a RINO, getting at least one credible primary challenger seems inevitable.

The answer is: both parties are absolutely terrible in florida. It's just that the Democratic party is just that much worse that keeps hamstringing their efforts.

Seriously, it's like both parties had an exhaust huffing contest, and the Dems "won".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gyges posted:

I'm pro-Scott for surprisingly mildly awful professional reasons. :colbert:

Although I think my ideal scenario would probably be Scott presiding over a Democratic supermajority. He's more than sleazy enough to follow in the footsteps of the great Richard Nixon and pretend he's in favor of progressive ideas.

Well, pretend harder than he already is, anyway.

...Actually, no. My ideal scenario is a Democratic landslide in every Florida office from mayor of St George Island on up in which the governor inexplicably keeps some of Scott's appointees. But I don't think that last bit's likely.

• Locked thread