Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

They widened the road and then put the lines back where they were originally making the widened road ineffective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Koesj posted:

Imagine if they hadn't done the spiraling trick and that bridge had to touch down somewhere half a kilometer inland. I'd say the hassle of clearing out a smallish block is a lot less than securing the ROW for a longass corridor, communist country or not.

That's a fair point.

I should have been more specific, when I said "huge" in my mind I meant how tall and imposing the thing is, less about the plot it sits on. When you drive into the thing and look across at three levels of traffic just spiraling along and then two other levels crossing below you with open sky above it's pretty impressive.

You make a good point, I think the reason it's the way it is has to do with them squeezing in a ringroad parallel to a bridge that is built super tall to let ships pass underneath. The thing is cool.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm curious as to why you think a $70 fine is high? I'm pretty sure nearly all of that would be swallowed up by administrative costs. (1 dollar/mph over)^2 sounds OK, though -- $100 for 10 over, $400 for 20 over, and probably not bothering to prosecute for much less. That all said, I'm pretty sure nobody gets fined for going 1mph (or even 5mph) over the limit, as it can be (and is) argued in court that it's within the measurement error of the apparatus.
A ticket that's $70 by law ends up closer to $300 after adding administrative costs and mandatory donations to charities.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Pook Good Mook posted:

I checked for this as best I could but being that it's a huge topic apologies if it's been covered:

What are your thoughts on the Nanpu Bridge Interchange in Shanghai? http://www.urbansplatter.com/one-of-the-worlds-biggest-highway-interchanges-nanpu-bridge/

I was in Shanghai a month ago and it blew my mind. It's so darn beautiful to look at but given the huge space it takes up I'm not sure how practical it would be without a Communist government that can just snatch up the land necessary.

I think it's very elegant. Good luck getting that kind of elevation gain without taking up more space; circles are pretty darn efficient.

Devor posted:

I'm a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to be seeing here.

I should have clarified: that's a ways past the work zone. I don't have any pictures from the immediate area. The part that was redone is fresh asphalt, whereas that's clearly old. People are driving on the fresh asphalt (which is good) but then getting confused when the pavement ends. They're having the same issue on another one of my projects, and we had to stick out a bunch of drums to channelize them properly.

Another unrelated picture: This is what rural signs look like.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm curious as to why you think a $70 fine is high?

Presumably, with automated enforcement, you'd handle things the same way open electronic tolling or automated parking is done. Get a bill at the end of the month (or year) with the fines you've racked up, or pay them automatically by credit card or debit. Everything's headed that way, so it's only a matter of time. But I don't want to get a $70 ticket every time I pass a speeding camera when they're all over the place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Lincoln Tunnel Helix works really well too:

The full 360 degrees are completed within the tunnel itself. The Helix structure starts at about 175 feet elevation coming off of the Bergen Hill, drops down to 13 feet elevation at the toll plaza, and completes within the tunnel at about 50 feet underground (with the bottom point of the tunnel coming at about 97 feet under).

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Interesting and entertaining video about unreasonably low speed limits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

What specific references should I be citing to my local governments when bitching about unreasonably low speed limits violating federal guidelines, etc? Anyone have a nice canned paragraph with specific MUTCD references we can fill-in-the-blanks on and shoot off to the appropriate engineers?

grover fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 14, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
How common are casualties in road crew workers, from getting run over? I get a feeling that it must happen all the time.

Anyway, here's a Swedish robotic arm that paints road markings. Apologies for the Google translation, but I think you can make sense of most of it.

http://translate.google.se/translat...icle3759897.ece

quote:

Longitudinal lines on the roadway have long been painted with machines. But arrows, speed limits and pedestrian crossings have been painted entirely by hand.

- Transport Administration have wanted to take a step to automate this process for security reasons. It's a risky job, says Per Ljunggren.

With the new robot, no human being needs to be standing in the road.

A nearly six-foot long robotic arm has been developed, which is mounted in front of a truck. Molten thermoplastic material (the paint) is pumped from a melting pot on the truck bed up to an extruder which is mounted at the end of the arm. Additionally, there is a vision system that shows where it will be painted. It is in contact with a library of symbols.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 15, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

What specific references should I be citing to my local governments when bitching about unreasonably low speed limits violating federal guidelines, etc? Anyone have a nice canned paragraph with specific MUTCD references we can fill-in-the-blanks on and shoot off to the appropriate engineers?

MUTCD sez:

Section 2B.13 Speed Limit Sign (R2-1)

Standard:
01 Speed zones (other than statutory speed limits) shall only be established on the basis of an engineering study that has been performed in accordance with traffic engineering practices. The engineering study shall include an analysis of the current speed distribution of free-flowing vehicles.

12 When a speed limit within a speed zone is posted, it should be within 5 mph of the 85th-percentile speed of free-flowing traffic.

13 Speed studies for signalized intersection approaches should be taken outside the influence area of the traffic control signal, which is generally considered to be approximately 1/2 mile, to avoid obtaining skewed results for the 85th-percentile speed.

Support:
14 Advance warning signs and other traffic control devices to attract the motorist's attention to a signalized intersection are usually more effective than a reduced speed limit zone.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

How common are casualties in road crew workers, from getting run over? I get a feeling that it must happen all the time.

Anyway, here's a Swedish robotic arm that paints road markings. Apologies for the Google translation, but I think you can make sense of most of it.

http://translate.google.se/translat...icle3759897.ece

In the US in 2012, there were 130 road worker fatalities, which is pretty typical. None of those was in Connecticut, but we had one in 2011, when one of our maintainers (Dan DiNardi) got killed. Of those 130, 23 were maintenance workers, which is somewhat higher than normal. You can get all the gruesome details here: http://www.workzonesafety.org/files/documents/crash_data/2003-2012_worker_fatalities.pdf

As to the road painting machine, it's worth noting here that almost all of our painting operations are done with either small maintenance crews or contractors. Smaller contractors will almost always stick with handwork rather than get a more expensive piece of equipment. They tend to treat safety as secondary, especially when they have temporary / unregistered workers. The larger contractors, I can see them going with something like this, as long as it works faster than a couple humans. As for Maintenance, they'd probably pick one up on a trial basis, but generally only use it in very dangerous locations. Sticking an extra crash truck behind the work truck is a lot cheaper.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

... whoops! That's 17 signal heads and 4 road signs on the ground from an afternoon thunderstorm.

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 16, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Re road worker fatalities, here's a couple of good adverts which those posts reminded me about :

UK one first, which is pretty hard hitting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVPYQ0dKKk8

And then this one from America, which is surprisingly hard hitting compared to the tame poo poo you usually have there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNuE4hbUDag

I like road safety adverts a lot and will take this opportunity to pimp my YouTube channel again, which is full of them. As well as some other stuff but ignore the other stuff. Just start from the earliest upload.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

MUTCD sez:

Section 2B.13 Speed Limit Sign (R2-1)

Standard:
01 Speed zones (other than statutory speed limits) shall only be established on the basis of an engineering study that has been performed in accordance with traffic engineering practices. The engineering study shall include an analysis of the current speed distribution of free-flowing vehicles.

12 When a speed limit within a speed zone is posted, it should be within 5 mph of the 85th-percentile speed of free-flowing traffic.

13 Speed studies for signalized intersection approaches should be taken outside the influence area of the traffic control signal, which is generally considered to be approximately 1/2 mile, to avoid obtaining skewed results for the 85th-percentile speed.

Support:
14 Advance warning signs and other traffic control devices to attract the motorist's attention to a signalized intersection are usually more effective than a reduced speed limit zone.

Does this have any legal weight? Or can his council just say "well that's nice but we're going to continue with our revenue generation techniques, thanks."

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
"Well, you caught us, and possibly recommended corrective action, but I'm Tom Sawyer and I've proceduralized an official sign certification sticker with my name on it in size + 1 em, bitches."

Varance posted:

... whoops! That's 17 signal heads and 4 road signs on the ground from an afternoon thunderstorm.

Hanging them all from a cable like that doesn't make sense in a windy environment.

grillster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 16, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Volmarias posted:

Does this have any legal weight? Or can his council just say "well that's nice but we're going to continue with our revenue generation techniques, thanks."

I'm sure it doesn't. The legislative branch always has the right to overrule these things. The only way it would hold weight is if the Federal government started cracking down on local governments to adhere to the rules.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

You could chase that buck as long as you like. The MUTCD is considered the definitive document in civil trials, to the point where noncompliance will almost immediately put you at fault. In criminal trials, I have no idea, but it is a very strongly worded document and should be treated like a Bible for just about any matter.

-----

My boss stopped by this afternoon with a surprise for me! Oh joy!

:buddy: "Hey, the Busway consultants redesigned a bunch of the signals you haven't seen in over a year."

:smith: "Oh, ok. I thought I'd finally finished with the Busway."

:buddy: "Yeah, and the Commissioner wants them done by Wednesday, since it's already under construction."

:smith: "Ah. I have a day and a half to fully review a handful of signals for a project that officially graduated from the design phase two years ago."

:buddy: "Yup! Have fun!"

:smith: "Oh well. How bad can they be?"

:smithicide:

Yes, Hamilton Street crosses a signalized industrial driveway, the Amtrak access road, 2 lines of high speed rail, and the Busway, all within 150 feet. Another 150 feet past is a cross road that really should be signalized, but it's impossible to make the signals work. A couple hundred feet to each side of this plan are even more signals, one of which is with the area's main arterial. Because of the grade crossing, we have to make this road the artery instead of the big road, which isn't going to do wonders for traffic.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cichlidae posted:

Yes, Hamilton Street crosses a signalized industrial driveway, the Amtrak access road, 2 lines of high speed rail, and the Busway, all within 150 feet. Another 150 feet past is a cross road that really should be signalized, but it's impossible to make the signals work. A couple hundred feet to each side of this plan are even more signals, one of which is with the area's main arterial. Because of the grade crossing, we have to make this road the artery instead of the big road, which isn't going to do wonders for traffic.
As an electrician, I see an awful lot of fairly large conduit in the ground (with spares) and an AWFUL lot of strange wire. 2-14/7? 14/5? Fun times. Is it all 120V signalling wire, or is it just because of the long distances involved that there can't be much voltage drop? Is there something fundamentally wrong with using a few RS-485 busses on 18AWG/STP? Does the 1970s era traffic box not know how to make red light using modern comms?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

As an electrician, I see an awful lot of fairly large conduit in the ground (with spares) and an AWFUL lot of strange wire. 2-14/7? 14/5? Fun times. Is it all 120V signalling wire, or is it just because of the long distances involved that there can't be much voltage drop? Is there something fundamentally wrong with using a few RS-485 busses on 18AWG/STP? Does the 1970s era traffic box not know how to make red light using modern comms?

My knowledge of electrical stuff is limited, but I can tell you some about it. It's all 120V, relatively short distance. Each bulb needs its own pair of conductors, and same for each set of loops (they're spliced in series at the handholes.) As for the conduits, I think we go with 2" RMC at a minimum since it's all subterranean and it's a pain in the rear end to pull stuff through. On top of that, the lion's share of the cost is for trenching, not conduit, so there's really no reason not to build yourself some extra headroom. And finally, there's a rule that says you can't have more than a certain percentage of the conduit filled; off the top of my head, it's about half for a 2" RMC.

But yeah, everything's basically on its own conductors; there is nothing more than 3 pairs of splice caps inside the signal head.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

You could chase that buck as long as you like. The MUTCD is considered the definitive document in civil trials, to the point where noncompliance will almost immediately put you at fault. In criminal trials, I have no idea, but it is a very strongly worded document and should be treated like a Bible for just about any matter.

-----

:buddy: "Hey, the Busway consultants redesigned a bunch of the signals you haven't seen in over a year."

:buddy: "Yeah, and the Commissioner wants them done by Wednesday, since it's already under construction."

:smith: "Ah. I have a day and a half to fully review a handful of signals for a project that officially graduated from the design phase two years ago."

Just dig the road under the railway and say gently caress it.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Cichlidae posted:

-----

Are diagrams usually this packed? Maybe it's because I'm not an engineer, but this seems to be pretty hard to read. If everything's this close together, is there a way to increase legibility without zooming in a great deal or changing it so that it's no longer to scale?

Also, is the crossing seriously at grade :psyduck:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, you should see some diagrams for PCBs. Even our dual layer ones get kind of nuts, I don't want to know what real multilayed boards must be like to understand.

Although the only way you'd ever look at one is on a computer. If you want to see more, you just zoom in.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Hedera Helix posted:

Of course it's at grade! And with the 130-foot crossing distance on the southeast leg of the intersection, those tracks serve a valuable purpose - as a pedestrian refuge island, so they don't have to cross all in one go.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

WisconsinHighway.txt:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-16/milwaukee-will-fight-slippery-roads-with-cheese-brine

quote:

Milwaukee might not salt its icy roads this winter. Instead, the city plans to cover its potentially hazardous motorways with cheese brine, the salt-and-water solution used in the production of cheese. The brine, considered a wasteful byproduct, is apparently cheaper and much more abundant than rock salt.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

It's actually a fantastic idea even if it sounds really wierd for saying you're throwing cheese brine on the road. Brine works better to keep roadways clean of ice and snow than chunks of salt, and I could see a switch to brine solutions in the future since it takes less salt to get better results.

Hedera Helix posted:

Are diagrams usually this packed? Maybe it's because I'm not an engineer, but this seems to be pretty hard to read. If everything's this close together, is there a way to increase legibility without zooming in a great deal or changing it so that it's no longer to scale?

Generally you have one sheet that covers all of a particular feature - signalization, or utility of one type or another etc. Sometimes this results in a sheet that has next to no freespace and some long leaders. That one is honestly not that bad, but I spend my time putting together plan sets so I may have an unfair advantage reading this stuff.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They've been using brine solutions (not cheese, but still) up here in the Northeast with varying results.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Sloober posted:

It's actually a fantastic idea even if it sounds really wierd for saying you're throwing cheese brine on the road. Brine works better to keep roadways clean of ice and snow than chunks of salt, and I could see a switch to brine solutions in the future since it takes less salt to get better results.

It absolutely makes sense, but "We're using cheese byproducts to keep our roads clear" is basically the most Wisconsin thing ever.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It absolutely makes sense, but "We're using cheese byproducts to keep our roads clear" is basically the most Wisconsin thing ever.

Yes, yes it is. We like our cheese up here. I think NJ is using pickle brine as their cheap alternative.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Washington DC has been using Beet Juice to pre-treat roadways (so sugar lowers the freezing point instead of a salt).

And funny story, they train their engineering staff to drive the beet-juice sprayers / snow plows. Sorry, we'll have to postpone the meeting - the PM was up all night plowing the roads.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Baronjutter posted:

Ah, the YOLO approach to construction.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

Ah, the YOLO approach to construction.

You Only Build Once: The sad tale of America's infrastructure, and how we could've fixed it fifty years ago

By Cichlidae

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Devor posted:

Washington DC has been using Beet Juice to pre-treat roadways (so sugar lowers the freezing point instead of a salt).

That's how you get ants! :argh:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hey Cichlidae, any insight on this project in Bethel?

http://bethel.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/dot-to-rebuild-plumtreeswhittleseywalnut-hill-intersection-bridge

quote:

Reconstruction of the bridge will include reconfiguring the awkward extended intersection of the three roads into a standard four-way intersection.

The new traffic pattern will also include a left-turn lane from Whittlesey to Plumtrees Road, intended to relieve traffic during school openings and dismissals.

And the intersection in question:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Peanut President posted:

That's how you get ants! :argh:

That's the beauty of it; when wintertime rolls around, all the ants simply freeze to death!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Hey Cichlidae, any insight on this project in Bethel?

http://bethel.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/dot-to-rebuild-plumtreeswhittleseywalnut-hill-intersection-bridge

And the intersection in question:

It's not my district, but looks like a pretty standard intersection realignment with a bridge (culvert, really) thrown into the mix. Nice little project; should make everyone happy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cichlidae posted:

It's not my district, but looks like a pretty standard intersection realignment with a bridge (culvert, really) thrown into the mix. Nice little project; should make everyone happy.

Yeah you can see how they originally built Whittlesey Dr along the pre-existing gravel road, with the expectation that it could eventually be continued. But the land wasn't developed and so Walnut Dr was built instead to the north where it couldn't align correctly without impinging. The realignment is a good solution.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

To add to the bike/bus/special infrastructure colour chat of a few pages back, I'm currently visiting London, and the bike lanes here come in red, green and blue, depending on the neighbourhood. I've only bus lanes in red so far, though.

The blue bike lanes are for the "cycle superhighways", and the colour was quite obviously chosen to match the branding of the corporate sponsor, Barclays Bank :rolleyes:.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Looks like Metro North is hosed once again. Con Edison feeder cable into the Mt. Vernon substation blew out for unspecified reasons in addition to a feeder being out of service. Electric train service between Grand Central and Stamford is out, Stamford to New Haven is limited service only, system is operating on 1/3 capacity until further notice ("days to weeks" according to the governor.) I-95 and the Parkway are going to be even worse than usual for the next few days to weeks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GWBBQ posted:

Looks like Metro North is hosed once again. Con Edison feeder cable into the Mt. Vernon substation blew out for unspecified reasons in addition to a feeder being out of service. Electric train service between Grand Central and Stamford is out, Stamford to New Haven is limited service only, system is operating on 1/3 capacity until further notice ("days to weeks" according to the governor.) I-95 and the Parkway are going to be even worse than usual for the next few days to weeks.

They can't grab some older diesels temporarily?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

GWBBQ posted:

This is the first time I've looked in this thread in like two weeks and I get to see this! :suicide:
Thankfully I'm not actually affected unless it lasts more than two weeks. Holy poo poo though, the New Haven line has like 130,000 riders a day. 95 is going to be so bad.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Baronjutter posted:

This is what Amtrak is doing, aside from cancelling Acela trains. Hopefully this will be fixed before Columbus Day weekend, which is my next Amtrak ride to New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

There aren't nearly enough diesels available, and perhaps more importantly there isn't the capacity to refuel them quick enough to provide reliable service.