Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A good rough estimate I use is that your minimum w2 salary should be about half what you're billed at, hourly, times 1k in the USA. So if you're being billed at $100/hr, you should be making more than $50k/yr.

To those that think the number is high, you've got taxes, SS, insurance, vacation, 401k matching, bonuses, internal chargebacks for equipment/office space, non-billable overhead like HR, and normal profit margins - it all adds up.

It's common to be paid more in small subcontractors with low overhead or larger companies providing support services. If you're less? You're being underpaid and/or oversold.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bhodi posted:

A good rough estimate I use is that your minimum w2 salary should be about half what you're billed at, hourly, times 1k in the USA. So if you're being billed at $100/hr, you should be making more than $50k/yr.

That might be true for just the right job in just the right kind of shop.

But if you look at the vast differences in shops, services provided, and billing methods across all of the things you could be billed out as an employee for it's pretty short sighted to think one formula can apply to all situations.

How much you cost the shop compared to your value is going to be wildly different if you are say, doing break/fix repair, sitting on a site for 6 months at a time stealing people's money pretending that SAP can ever be made to work properly, or spending 3 days specing out a network configuration or doing a site survey for a customer at a VAR that makes their real money on sales.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Without being too specific,

I'll be working on,

- System I; in SysAdmin Role (Upgrading Software,Upgrading Hardware - no COBOL Programming)
- Managed Services; supporting hundreds of various small businesses in whatever they need in a Windows Environment

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 23, 2013

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
This is turning into a cul-de-sac. Who are you trying to negotiate a salary with?

I posted a link every 5 pages or so in the last thread - it ended up in the OP:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/ - if I end up accepting the job I'm currently in discussion on - and I get what I'm asking for, that article will have resulted in me going from 50K/year to 175K/year in under 24 months. Thanks to it, I busted 100K last year.

While I realize my story is purely anecdotal, I strongly recommend reading it.

EDIT: Calendar math is hard!

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 23, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sarcasmatron posted:

This is turning into a cul-de-sac. Who are you trying to negotiate a salary with?

I posted a link every 5 pages or so in the last thread - it ended up in the OP:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/ - if I end up accepting the job I'm currently in discussion on - and I get what I'm asking for, that article will have resulted in me going from 50K/year to 175K/year in under 24 months. Thanks to it, I busted 100K last year.

While I realize my story is purely anecdotal, I strongly recommend reading it.

EDIT: Calendar math is hard!

Hah - I remember reading that a long time ago, I'll go through it again.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I sometimes have a ton of free time at work.

Anyone have any suggestions on educational things I can be doing online?

I'm playing around with tryruby right now, but I'm new enough to IT that almost anything is new cool and exciting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm playing around with tryruby right now, but I'm new enough to IT that almost anything is new cool and exciting.

Learn Linux

Start playing with VirtualBox or VMware

Learn PowerShell scripting in Windows

Web programming in whatever language you want (PHP, Ruby, .NET, Python, who cares just loving pick one)

That will get you into SQL databases as well as HTML/CSS

Javascript is fun and you can start typing it right into Firefox/Chrome

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is helpful if you want to teach yourself coding, database, and web stuff: http://www.bentobox.io

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Anyone headed to Velocity or DevOpsDays in NYC the week of the 14th? I'll be at both.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Helpdesk guys and our IT director are getting their morning yucks berating users this fine Monday morning. A user is asking why our email solution is so convulted (pop3 only, Outlook forwarding to external accounts if you want mail on your tablet, remove via VPN only, etc)

YOU WANT ME TO MANAGE YOUR EMAIL FOR YOU?
SHE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT SHIFT-ALT-DELETE IS?
HAHAHAHAAH

loving tools.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
People like that are why I have to work so hard to get people to come to me with actual issues instead of ignoring them or finding poor workarounds. I hate how prevalent that attitude is in IT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I used to work for someone like that. It was embarrassing more than anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Third Man posted:

People like that are why I have to work so hard to get people to come to me with actual issues instead of ignoring them or finding poor workarounds. I hate how prevalent that attitude is in IT.

And then they wonder why people at some companies hate IT departments.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Bhodi posted:

This is what I have been basing mine off. I am making $55 an hour now contracting in a position monumentally more difficult than the FT job I left @ $42 an hour - and the company is billing over $200 an hour for me. I am going to come in at $125 an hour on my contract renegotiation and work down from there. I figure I should be making at least 200k based on the scope of the work I'm doing and the billable hours. I was hoping I just could just drop the contract and bill directly through my own LLC but it doesn't look like I will be able to get on the approved vendors list.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That new av.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
have a phone interview on Wednesday for a potentially very cool YOTJ. any advice? I think I'm pretty good on the phone. The position is in the technical project management department so I'm a little nervous on how deep they are going to go on the technical side vs just seeing that I can actually string two sentences together and such

also for those of you on the fence about rewriting/updating your resume and using the goon service, i can highly recommend it. Pretty sure it's the reason I was able to get through the initial HR blocks and get this phone interview

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I was reading this post in GiP and it blew my mind because this applies to so much poo poo in IT. The clearest example I've encountered was the implementation of our wireless network at my last job, where every executive knew a little bit about wireless (AKA magic that makes my iPad work) because they have a lovely consumer grade router in my house. What followed was basically exactly what's quoted in that post.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 24, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That is incredible, and far too close to home. Thanks for posting it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Interview today at the University! The more I think about it, the more I realize it really is a lateral move and while I may make less in the long run, I enjoy the hands-on work much more. I would be going from Info Security Analyst at a bank to Network Analyst at a public uni.

e: 5k less than I'm making now? gently caress that noise.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 24, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CloFan posted:

e: 5k less than I'm making now? gently caress that noise.
Did you weigh benefits in that? I hopped for $15k less base salary a few years ago and between the benefits (self+spouse) and the commute my take-home was almost exactly the same. Payroll deductions for benefits at universities, especially public ones, tend to be incredibly cheap.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah- health/vision/dental are nearly identical plans, would be cheaper at uni by about 40 bucks a check. Time off and stress level would be significantly improved. I'm going to stick with the bank for a while longer, get them to pay for some certs and experience, then look for something not in financial services.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is there no chance of a counter offer, either on straight salary or other benefits?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CloFan posted:

Yeah- health/vision/dental are nearly identical plans, would be cheaper at uni by about 40 bucks a check. Time off and stress level would be significantly improved. I'm going to stick with the bank for a while longer, get them to pay for some certs and experience, then look for something not in financial services.

Did they offer X credit hours per semester for yourself or immediate family? Or do you live in a country where you don't have to mortgage yourself for the next 30 years for a degree so that's not a thing...?

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Geoj posted:

Did they offer X credit hours per semester for yourself or immediate family? Or do you live in a country where you don't have to mortgage yourself for the next 30 years for a degree so that's not a thing...?

I think only private universities do that.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Malkar posted:

My current employer (A university) offers 50% reduced tuition, so you may be correct.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Is there no chance of a counter offer, either on straight salary or other benefits?

Nope, not here. Budgetary restraints-- they aren't just telling me that, either. I used to work there as a student, and in the interview they said it was mine if I wanted it. I told them I couldn't at that pay, so the director asked HR if he had any wiggle room at all and got shut down. "Maybe when the budget renews next July.." but I couldn't get that in writing.

Geoj posted:

I could take one class on the clock per semester free of charge, and immediately family gets $10/class tuition. Really a great deal.. if me and my wife hadn't already graduated.

Just for some numbers, I'd be going from 30k at the bank (significant raise/promotion imminent) to 24k. Wife and I are building a house, so it's just not going to be possible at this juncture.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 25, 2013

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

CloFan posted:

I could take one class on the clock per semester free of charge, and immediately family gets $10/class tuition. Really a great deal.. if me and my wife hadn't already graduated.

Masters? getting an MBA on the clock sounds great

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Malkar posted:

I know in my state (Ohio) its fairly common - my grandmother worked in the dining hall at a state school and put my father and three uncles through college for free, and more recently (past 10 years) one of my aunts worked in the dining hall at another state school and one of my cousins was able to finish her degree for free.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Malkar posted:

My grandfather was a professor at a public university, and even after he retired my mom was able to get discounted tuition because of it. My aunt works there now and my cousins also get discounted tuition.

Well, not the one who's in medical school, but that's a bit different.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

I am in school now for the final attempt at my degree after changing majors a few times. There's a bunch of e/n stuff in there but I'm about to hit 26 with no real career plan for the rest of my life. I expect to graduate next fall with a degree in Info Systems. Some of the courses I'm taking I haven't enjoyed but I have found that while not too proficient yet, I have been enjoying my basic programming class which is going over HTML/CSS and soon JavaScript. My question is what can/should I focus on outside of school or a good place to learn more on these. I've already found w3school and had a brief look at it. Are there more sites for web design and others like this for other languages? I do plan to go to the career center to see what sort of internship/careers I can make out of this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone ever killed their boss and gotten away with it?

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

CanUSayGym posted:

I expect to graduate next fall with a degree in Info Systems.

Got my degree in MIS, after looking at the job market, I ran far, far, far away and got into network engineering.

e: drat phone

Tasty Wheat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 25, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I need to update my resume in preparation for seeking a job in networking, and I'm wondering what is appropriate for me to put down as experience after I attained my CCNA, but do not have any real work experience in the field? I'm trying to move beyond basic helpdesk/faculty support at my university, so I got my CCNA to try and get my foot in the door, but now that it is time to get my resume out there, I'm not sure how to structure it. Is it fair for me to say I have experience/am familiar with with layer 2/3 routing protocols? How honest should I be without talking myself out of an interview?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bob Morales posted:

If they admitted to it here, they would be getting away with it....

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

So do you regret leaving web development?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I left my current company and later returned. When I was interviewing the second time, my old boss lobbied heavily against me and caused such a political stir that everyone decided I was too controversial. I was rejected, but talked my current boss into changing her mind and hiring me.

My old boss was fired 10 rather strained days later. So, I didn't kill him. He just died shortly after I returned. :ninja:

bort fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 25, 2013

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

codeacademy.com has been great for me to pass some free time at work, while actully learning something :)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CanUSayGym posted:

I am in school now for the final attempt at my degree after changing majors a few times. There's a bunch of e/n stuff in there but I'm about to hit 26 with no real career plan for the rest of my life. I expect to graduate next fall with a degree in Info Systems. Some of the courses I'm taking I haven't enjoyed but I have found that while not too proficient yet, I have been enjoying my basic programming class which is going over HTML/CSS and soon JavaScript. My question is what can/should I focus on outside of school or a good place to learn more on these. I've already found w3school and had a brief look at it. Are there more sites for web design and others like this for other languages? I do plan to go to the career center to see what sort of internship/careers I can make out of this.

How much of computers do you do not in school? Do you host a website? Have you built a LAMP, or coded a website from the ground up? There is a bunch of opportunity out there, but it won't ask you.

If you like it start tinkering around with webservers, wordpress/droopal development somewhat of a surprising need in my area.

E:
Think I might be visiting Charolette/Gastonia NC Mid OCT(25/26) if any goons want to meet up. Dinner and a drink or two is on me!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 26, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ganon posted:

So do you regret leaving web development?

No, the extra $ makes it worth it, and I'm more marketable (in my area). I'm slowly getting big changes made (new internet provider, Exchange 2013 implantation, new VMware cluster in the spring) so I'm just going to suck it up and build some experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Exchange 2013 implantation
Bob Morales, Robot Uterus

• Locked thread