Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

guppy posted:

I think it's more about the nature of the employer. Larger organizations more likely to require it than small, public more than private, and so on.

Also seems to be more of a US thing.

In the past I've worked with people who openly talked in the office about all the ketamine they took at the weekend and the bosses didn't give a poo poo.

Oh dear, the company that is buying my division at the end of the month is American. Suddenly I'm afraid that they may try American HR practices over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

Suddenly I'm afraid that they may try American HR practices over here.

Unless they were planning on re-jigging it so you're all employed by a US company - which I can't imagine they would as it causes a tax nightmare - all you'd really need to do is point out how hilariously illegal (laws that are actually enforced) many of those practices are.

Chairman of the board of the US company where I work for the UK subsidiary (purely for aforementioned tax reasons) designed beer coasters we gave out at a major US trade show with screen-grabs of an iPhone with the clock at 4:20 (a reference which almost no-one got!) so I can't imagine that drug testing here would ever become a priority.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Another Monday, another version of the new ticketing system, one we are supposed to become experts in. This one is special. They are trying to put so much information on the ticket - customer information, engineer tracking, contacts, etc - that you have to scroll down to get the the part where you enter or read notes. You know, the part I actually use. And then if you scroll down, you can't see what customer you are working on. It sounds picky, but I work on multiple things at a time and it gets really confusing when you can't just click on a window and see what case you are working on.

I know I could make changes to screen size/resolution, but my eyes aren't getting any younger and making things smaller would not be good.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

This isn't so much a dumb user rant as a boss does dumb poo poo rant.

Over the weekend our IT director decided to upgrade our software and asset management appliance. He didn't discuss it with anyone (least of all myself who is the primary admin on the system). Why did he do this? Because he needed it to support the fancy new iPad app for accessing the help desk portal. Who will be using this app? It will be one person and I'll let you guess who that is.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ookiimarukochan posted:

Unless they were planning on re-jigging it so you're all employed by a US company - which I can't imagine they would as it causes a tax nightmare - all you'd really need to do is point out how hilariously illegal (laws that are actually enforced) many of those practices are.

They're not any less illegal if the employer is American, British employment law would still apply to Lum.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just got this today:

quote:

Hey
I had speaker fall on a glass table with my computer on it this weekend. The glass table was destroyed, as well as my computer screen.
Can you send me a new computer? This one’s screen is cracked and broken and I cannot see to work.
How would you like me to proceed? I want a new laptop over nighted ASAP.

Thanks

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

GreenNight posted:

Just got this today:

That must've been one hell of a party.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Just got this today:

Send them a new glass table by courier.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dudley posted:

They're not any less illegal if the employer is American, British employment law would still apply to Lum.

From what I read on these forums, UK employment law would make an American HRs head explode. thought hey are far from perfect, they don't treat employees as disposable assets that it is easier to dump than the contents of a wastebin

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I actually don't know if the drug test thing that kinda started this would be legal here. I suspect not simply given that I've never heard any company here even think about trying it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The company I work at doesn't drug test, and when a customer asked our VP if they could drug test project staff working at their site, he laughed at them.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
An email came in this weekend:

A reporter confesses that, while shooting a high school football game, it began to rain. According to her, she immediately took the battery out of the camera, covered it with her rain jacket, and took it to her vehicle. However, it still managed to get "a little wet" and stopped working.

I disassembled the camera and cleaned it out. Miraculously, it still works. I checked the recorded footage from the card to find almost five full minutes of her trying to record during a torrential downpour, several videos of her just flat out recording the rain falling from the sky.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I was drug tested as a condition of employment and they reserve the right to random ones, but they generally only do it if they have cause to believe you are showing up to work hosed up.

What's great though is that as a right to work state if they want you gone they can find basically any reason to fire you. If someone were to refuse a drug test, even if they can't be fired for that alone, they can be let go for "performance" and there's no real way to fight it.

But right to work laws are great right? Because unions are bad and big business is good right?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nativity In Black posted:

I was drug tested as a condition of employment and they reserve the right to random ones, but they generally only do it if they have cause to believe you are showing up to work hosed up.

What's great though is that as a right to work state if they want you gone they can find basically any reason to fire you. If someone were to refuse a drug test, even if they can't be fired for that alone, they can be let go for "performance" and there's no real way to fight it.

But right to work laws are great right? Because unions are bad and big business is good right?

In a right to work state, drug tests seem particularly baffling. I mean, if they thought you were taking drugs and it was affecting your work they could just fire you and say it was because it was Thursday, right?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

spog posted:

From what I read on these forums, UK employment law would make an American HRs head explode. thought hey are far from perfect, they don't treat employees as disposable assets that it is easier to dump than the contents of a wastebin

And that is why I wrote that I'm afraid they might try it on, not that they might find a way to make it legal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fil5000 posted:

In a right to work state, drug tests seem particularly baffling. I mean, if they thought you were taking drugs and it was affecting your work they could just fire you and say it was because it was Thursday, right?

There's liability issues at play as well. My brother works for <national home improvement chain> and they drug test both randomly and anytime there is an <incident>. If there is an <incident> and you test positive for drugs, the company is basically off the hook as far as liability and your workman's comp claim will probably be denied as well.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nativity In Black posted:

What you're talking about is at-will employment. Workers in "Right to work" states aren't forced to join a union or pay union fees as a condition for employment. I am in Minnesota, which is not a right to work state, and took a temporary job at a union shop. I was forced to join the union within two weeks of my start date and pay dues or be terminated.

I wish people would stop conflating those terms.

Fil5000 posted:

Again, that's an example of at-will employment, not right-to-work. If they fire you for drug use you can't collect unemployment. If they fire you without cause you can.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I wanna try out DD-WRT, but there's no official version for my WRT54G3G, I found a thread claiming that you can just flash the WRT54G version, but there are like 500 Versions of the router and then the firmware.
Anyone know how to figure this out?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SEKCobra posted:

So I wanna try out DD-WRT, but there's no official version for my WRT54G3G, I found a thread claiming that you can just flash the WRT54G version, but there are like 500 Versions of the router and then the firmware.
Anyone know how to figure this out?

If you don't see it on this chart somewhere, then it's pretty much a crapshoot. I'm seeing random forum posts saying "yeah sure it's supported" from 2007, but nobody's actually saying which firmware version to use.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:yotj: offer letter came in. Do I let current job attempt to match or just :snoop: out?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kensei posted:

:yotj: offer letter came in. Do I let current job attempt to match or just :snoop: out?

Is your employer respectable?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

kensei posted:

Do you actually want to continue working for your current employer? If so, ask for a counter.

Do you believe that they would immediately terminate your employment and frogmarch you out if you let on that you were seeking other employment? If so, I'd recommend against saying anything, lest your new offer fall through.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's a senior manager here in his early 60s that has been clinging to his Blackberry, even though it has slowly become more and more unusable. We've been discussing transitioning him to an iPhone for two years but he always chickens out at the end no matter how supportive I've been.

Last night he dropped his Blackberry and killed it. He's in a panic because the phone is his "lifeline" and he's traveling tomorrow and Wednesday.

Solution? His assistant manager quit a few months ago and sent her barely used iPhone back to me filthy and with a shattered screen. I replaced the screen myself and cleaned it up so it looks pretty good. Congratulations on your "new" iPhone, techno-phobe!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh... Google.. http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=issue&ts=1379995199000&sid=1&iid=043f082bc7cd18e15458318035d9bc7a We use Google Apps.. Emails to our users are taking anywhere from minutes to hours to arrive in their inbox. Emails with attachments are particularly affected.

One guy at our main office scanned & emailed a 20+ page document 12 times from the office MFP before he bothered to tell me he was having problems. Bonus: He has to walk past my office to reach the MFP.

My inbox just got flooded with emails from several users wondering why they haven't received any emails this morning :suicide:. Most where sent more than 3 hours ago.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kensei posted:

Ask yourself why you started looking for another job in the first place. Was it ONLY about the compensation? If there were any other problems, chances are they aren't going to get any better if you stay and you'll still be unhappy.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Response to the bottle opener has been much greater than anticipated. From the post in this thread alone, we're up to 92 people, most of whom want 32g units. This may be prohibitively expensive, I'll try to work out some details and report back.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Fil5000 posted:

My :yotj: is a manufacturing company, and I'll be out on the shop floor from time to time. It hasn't been explicitly stated(Waiting for the formal offer letter/paperwork), but I imagine I'll be getting randoms. Gotta CYA against workers comp.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Due to job hopping and working at sensitive places (cops, railroad, etc.) I've had to pee in many a cup. I have never done drugs and don't drink so it was a waste of time, but my real problem is that for some reason when peeing into a cup I usually start laughing. I'm also a bit paranoid because one time they gave me a broken one and I thought I was peeing on my hand but it was just leaking out.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
:negative: The Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 keys I have memorized are now either completely out of activations or very low :negative:

Back to my ball-and-chain cheat sheet.

Hopefully some less trivial information can overwrite the licenses in my brain.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

skipdogg posted:

There's liability issues at play as well. My brother works for <national home improvement chain> and they drug test both randomly and anytime there is an <incident>. If there is an <incident> and you test positive for drugs, the company is basically off the hook as far as liability and your workman's comp claim will probably be denied as well.

Back in my temping days, I was in an auto accident on the job (as a passenger, so there was no question of responsibility for the accident) and had to be drug tested per temp agency policy. I thought it was pretty funny, but I was mildly concussed at the time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A while back where I work, someone accidentally dropped a wrench onto a coworker's head. The person who got hit got drug tested.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I used to work as a dispatch for a bulk transport company. Because we handled dangerous goods all the drivers had regular drug tests. The safety department decided to be "fair" all the office staff needed random drug tests as well.

One of the girls in the data entry area found out that yes, poppy seeds do detect as opium in the portable tests. She was sent home, with pay, until a full lab workup was done on the sample to determine that yes, she did eat that poppyseed muffin and wasn't blitzed on opium.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I am kinda curious with how drug testing is going to change now that weed is legal in washington. Granted I have not had to take a test in years, and the last one had a lot of lead time("we are going to drug test everyone in 1 month, please make sure you can pass it") and that was only due to a new customers regulations and it was only a saliva test(least invasive, shortest detection period).

Back when I worked construction I managed to pass many drug tests despite smoking constantly. Not sure if my body doesn't store it well( I am a skinny gently caress) or if the pectin trick actually worked to pass the tests.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Our software/patching management box has been down for 3 weeks ever since I upgraded it to the latest firmware. On my umpteenth webex session with a tech we are looking at some logs on a test machine. The domain account we use for authenticating is listed in the logs. Along with the password. In plain text.

"Oh I thought we caught that bug a while ago. Sorry."

:fuckoff:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I've been here for 7 years, it's a pretty decent place. Apparently, the promotion I have been asking for was already 'in the works' as per the employee review that we are getting this week.

Could be a good time to be kensei!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Negromancer posted:

I am kinda curious with how drug testing is going to change now that weed is legal in washington. Granted I have not had to take a test in years, and the last one had a lot of lead time("we are going to drug test everyone in 1 month, please make sure you can pass it") and that was only due to a new customers regulations and it was only a saliva test(least invasive, shortest detection period).

Back when I worked construction I managed to pass many drug tests despite smoking constantly. Not sure if my body doesn't store it well( I am a skinny gently caress) or if the pectin trick actually worked to pass the tests.
I'm curious about this myself. I'm in California, where it's legal if you have a doctors recommendation (which I do, though I haven't smoked in a while). I mean, it's not like I'm going to work high or anything, so as far as I'm concerned, I should be able to do whatever I want on my time off.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Response to the bottle opener has been much greater than anticipated. From the post in this thread alone, we're up to 92 people, most of whom want 32g units. This may be prohibitively expensive, I'll try to work out some details and report back.

Do regional to local distribution? Midwest, coast, etc?

Edit : i meant to be in for 2 32 gig drives.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Negromancer posted:

I am kinda curious with how drug testing is going to change now that weed is legal in washington.

The legal status of marijuana doesn't trump an employer's drug policy. Patients with medical cards can be fired for failing drug tests. Companies can fire you for using nicotine if they want.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

MisterOblivious posted:

The legal status of marijuana doesn't trump an employer's drug policy. Patients with medical cards can be fired for failing drug tests. Companies can fire you for using nicotine if they want.

True, especially since this is washington where they can fire you for any reason at all. I will just stick to not working at places where they think drug testing is a good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Looks like Blackberry is being bought out by a company called "Fairfax Financial Holdings" for the tune of $4.7 billion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blackberry-to-be-sold-to-consortium-led-by-fairfax-financial-holdings-1.1864922

I think I will still hold off on that BES10 migration my client wants to do.

• Locked thread