Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The Clan Quest Mod is good. Otherwise not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Are there any new content mods that are worth it? I've been looking for an excuse to replay this game. I've already beaten it like 4 times though.

Have you done a playthrough as a Malkavian yet?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Started a Nossie for the first time and they're pretty annoying.

You'd think looking like a serious burn victim wouldn't really be a problem in a hospital, but apparently the staff there are easily spooked.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

Started a Nossie for the first time and they're pretty annoying.

You'd think looking like a serious burn victim wouldn't really be a problem in a hospital, but apparently the staff there are easily spooked.

You'd also think that shooting trespassers on sight wouldn't be a policy in hospitals. California's health care is weird.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

steinrokkan posted:

You'd also think that shooting trespassers on sight wouldn't be a policy in hospitals. California's health care is weird.

loving Kaiser. :argh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The plus patch made Fat Larry vanish from the game for me, and multiple reloads never fixed it. Replaying the game obviously isn't a problem and all, but drat, what an unfortunate glitch.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

McSpanky posted:

The plus patch made Fat Larry vanish from the game for me, and multiple reloads never fixed it. Replaying the game obviously isn't a problem and all, but drat, what an unfortunate glitch.

The patch places him in an alley. Did you check everywhere or just his usual area?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, it puts him back in the (more logical) place he was in in every beta and gameplay demo up until release, namely the alley just to the right of The Asylum club that winds around and dumps out by the Tremere Chantry.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, it puts him back in the (more logical) place he was in in every beta and gameplay demo up until release, namely the alley just to the right of The Asylum club that winds around and dumps out by the Tremere Chantry.

To be fair, they moved him in the final version because people were having trouble finding him. You know, like the people in this thread. It may be more logical than having him hang out next to a cop, but he's a bitch to spot if you don't know he's there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
But ~~~ my immersion ~~

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
He's not even hidden in that alley, though. :psyduck: He's directly in plain sight while walking down the street!

Once again I am forced to wonder about the sheer incuriousity of my fellow gamers.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Stroth posted:

To be fair, they moved him in the final version because people were having trouble finding him. You know, like the people in this thread. It may be more logical than having him hang out next to a cop, but he's a bitch to spot if you don't know he's there.

The game does this a lot. You get an email, with a quest, telling you to go to the tremere chantry. I'm guessing that players were managing to never go in there, so they put that in to make sure people didn't miss it. And there are conversations in most of the city areas where you can ask people, "Where do I buy guns in this city?", in case you managed not to figure it out on your own. I think almost every place in the game where you pick up a quest, there's some other quest or email that sends you there, so you don't screw up and not notice it.

It's probably a necessary design philosophy. Anything which players can screw up, they will.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Orange Sunshine posted:

It's probably a necessary design philosophy. Anything which players can screw up, they will.

This is true of all software. Developers will always assume that their users are going to gently caress everything up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I hadn't seen Mimic before. Every time F Murray Abraham was on screen I couldn't help but see Professor Johansen.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I hadn't seen Mimic before. Every time F Murray Abraham was on screen I couldn't help but see Professor Johansen.

:psyduck:

Jesus. Clearly those giant roaches all had poryphyria.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I probably missed this somewhere . . . So there's an "official" 1.2 patch, and then there's this Wesp patch stuff. What ones do I want? I'm installing from Steam.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Both, although I think Wesp's will update you to 1.2 if you're not already updated. I also think Steam might bring you to 1.2 maybe?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Both, although I think Wesp's will update you to 1.2 if you're not already updated. I also think Steam might bring you to 1.2 maybe?

Steam automatically brings you to 1.2. All you need to do is Wesp Patch and then Widescreen patch and you're done.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks! I had another question ... So this game has lots of options for non-traditional combat or avoidance of most combat right? A break from the typical video game shooting and slashing would be pretty awesome. Are there any first timer friendly builds that would be good for that kind of play?

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Does the Camarilla mod bring back histories too or not? I remember getting clan quest mod about a year back (with camarilla 1.4 included) and getting them, pondering about doing another playthrough again but i don't want to get the whole of clan quest mod since i wasn't terribly impressed with their added quests and they're not using the latest camarilla version anyway.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks! I had another question ... So this game has lots of options for non-traditional combat or avoidance of most combat right? A break from the typical video game shooting and slashing would be pretty awesome. Are there any first timer friendly builds that would be good for that kind of play?

Brujah with Celerity and Guns statted up. There's a lot of talking and whatnot but the final part of the game is combat heavy with no way around it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

HondaCivet posted:

No, it does not. You can sometimes avoid combat, but you will definitely have to fight people, and the fights are sometimes quite serious. Combat ability is a non-negotiable requirement for all characters.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, unfortunately there are some fights that you just can't avoid.

Even if you're playing a Nossie or Malkavian with Obfuscate you will eventually have to beat someone down, even if you spend most of the game avoiding people.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
The only thing that annoyed me about the plus patch was when I was newer to the game and I was reading an FAQ to do a min-maxing play through. For some reason, the guy who makes the patches moved a bunch of books and other things, or replaced them with items instead, and I spent inordinate amounts of time horribly confused as to why this thing the guide said to get wasn't there.

Otherwise, I play with the plus patch every time, just to get more out of the game. I avoid the library level, though. It's ugly, short, and pretty dumb. The first time I played it, I was doing some kind of ridiculous min-maxed potency build, and already had the ultra-katana so I just killed the Tzimisce in 3 hits anyway. :/

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I didn't mean JUST avoiding combat altogether. It sounds like you can defeat enemies other ways too like scaring them away or making them kill themselves?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Basically many standard areas are filled with baddies you can sneak past or diplomatic answers, but there's several areas that are NOT, and in these places you need some form of direct attack.

You WILL have to either shoot things, punch things, hit them with a fire axe, or make them explode into blood with magic. Also the magic is weaker then the other two options when taken to their max.

It's long been considered the main weakness of the game, really.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Those are the disciplines (spells) and they're combat use and generally single-target. Go through your first run loaded for war.

And melee. Firearms are horrid compared to hitting poo poo with other poo poo.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

OK I must be thinking of a different game . . . Deus Ex maybe? Thanks though, I will be sure to make a very punchy/shooty guy then.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

HondaCivet posted:

OK I must be thinking of a different game . . . Deus Ex maybe? Thanks though, I will be sure to make a very punchy/shooty guy then.

you don't even need to min/max it. you can have moderate skills in both say knifing and shooting and you will be more than OK. (though guns are weaker at first). Go into every situation thinking non-violence first (but always be paranoid in case things so south) and it will be a more interesting experience.

and yes be prepared, the end game is a rushed hack and slash gallery whereas 3/4th of the game can be sneak/RPG talk/adventure game style.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 25, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's one area of the game that I loving hated. It's filled with incredibly annoying enemies. I tried to go powerhouse through it, and it was a painful experience. Apparently you can sneak through there fairly easily, though, as the enemies are supposedly near blind.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ddraig posted:

There's one area of the game that I loving hated. It's filled with incredibly annoying enemies. I tried to go powerhouse through it, and it was a painful experience. Apparently you can sneak through there fairly easily, though, as the enemies are supposedly near blind.

I've sneaked (that's the correct past tense apparently) through it multiple times. It's possible, but it's just as fun as the area is normally.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The easiest route through the endgame bits is to just grab the flamethrower. Who needs tons of combat skills when everything including the last bosses die to fire?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't know, I burned (ha?) through all the ammo you could carry at one time and one or two of them still had health to spare.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

DeathChicken posted:

The easiest route through the endgame bits is to just grab the flamethrower. Who needs tons of combat skills when everything including the last bosses die to fire?

This or (With the patch) The dragon's breath shotgun. Loud, distance of a melee weapon and slow reload, but it gets the job done in a hurry.

Been thinking about modding this up and giving it another go.

HondaCivet posted:

In terms of shooters, this would be DeusEx. The only other game to have that 'diplomacy through your enemies' feel and really nail it was Planescape: Torment.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, the flamethrower really didn't do much for me. Especially annoying when you note how fast and how hard fire fucks you the PC up.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Aaaugh now I'm having a problem getting the game to run right . . . It's playable but I'm getting really ugly N64-era textures all over. I'm running Win7 64-bit with 4GB of RAM, NVIDIA video card. This isn't my pic but this is how it looks:

I've been googling for a couple hours. Apparently the game hates it when you have more than 2GB of RAM so I artificially lowered it in msconfig to 2048 but somehow that didn't help. I ran the Wesp patches and those seem to have performed the shaderapidx9.dll fix for me already, so I can't try that either . . . Any other ideas? I haven't upgraded my machine at all for at least a year or two so it isn't like I'm running some brand spankin' new gear that's messing it up.

Edit: Pretty sure no one even knew what I was talking about or cared but I thought I'd note that I managed to fix this . . . I'm not sure if it's the unofficial patch to blame for this or what but for some reason, files are being redundantly stored in two places - in the usual Steam folder and in an "Activision" folder. Maybe I made a mistake in setup somewhere or the fanpatch is putting stuff in that folder for some reason but anyway, turns out I tried to "fix" the wrong DLL. I found the one in the Steam folder and fixed it and now everything is 2004-era pretty again, hooray!

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 26, 2013

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
For the record, you should pick either firearms or melee. As someone already mentioned, firearms are weaker when you first start off, but then become the best route for loving poo poo up later on in the game. For example, I recall a particular boss near the end of the game that was absolutely horrible even with maxed/nearly maxed melee, but handling the situation with firearms was a cinch.

I mean, this is assuming you don't want to dump all your hard earned experience into the typical fighting skills. What makes this game great is all the other poo poo not revolving around combat (or at least non-magic combat), so by focusing on only firearms or melee you give yourself some leeway to have fun without screwing yourself for the end game gotta-fight-everything extravaganza.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Just do what you want and cheat yourself some XP to buy combat skills if you hit the endgame and don't have any.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I still advise against cheating your first play simply to get the purest experience. As unfortunate as the end game becomes, I feel it's way worse and lessened when you don't experience it at least once "as intended."

Also, don't do that quest for Beckett at the library. It's from the fan patch and it's kinda lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

As a Dark Souls fan who actually bothered to complete Blight Town once, I think I know what you mean by not robbing myself of the full experience even if it's painful. :v:

Also I fixed my graphics if anyone cares. Maybe it would be a good idea to put something in the OP about how to get this game to run on modern systems? If there's interest I could put something together since it's all fresh in my mind right now.

• Locked thread