Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
It's certainly possible to have only High Tech industry, but I think there's something to be aesthetically said for digitally rendered pollution in its place.

SC4 isn't so much a game to win, it's a modeling set to tinker with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I think someone else put it best when they called it bonsai for nerds.

While having all high tech is possible, I find that having discrete zones of dirty, manufacturing, and high looks good. You can encourage industrial homogenization by raising taxes for all but the desired type to 20%, zoning, and then resetting taxes once the area has developed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Avocados posted:

Is it possible to (eventually) replace all dirty industry with high tech industry? Or does dirty industry need to exist in some certain quantity? Also, if possible, whats the best way to turn a massively polluted industrial sector into a high tech one?

Getting rid of everything but high-tech industry is possible, but Legitimately Hard.

However, getting rid of dirty industry is feasible, though not trivial, and manufacturing doesn't pollute hard enough to ruin property values.

Of course, if you're exploiting region play, and don't care if outer Bumfis Town on the edge of the county is made entirely of climate change and tears, then it'll be a romp.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Avocados posted:

Is it possible to (eventually) replace all dirty industry with high tech industry? Or does dirty industry need to exist in some certain quantity? Also, if possible, whats the best way to turn a massively polluted industrial sector into a high tech one?

You can start out straight with high tech as long as you educate your workers early on with every school, and provide facilities and boost land value a bit in the industry zone with a plaza or something (this is what i always do because low tech cities are a pain in the rear end to start out with because of low income). Dirty and manufacturing do not need to exist, I don't know if they enhance high tech demand in any way though.

And Simcity 4 is the best Simcity, I could never go back to 3000 even though it was a decent game.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

And Simcity 4 is the best Simcity, I could never go back to 3000 even though it was a decent game.

What about the SC3K soundtrack?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SimCity 4 has a custom soundtrack option for a reason.

My guess? For precisely this reason.

If you're wondering: Custom music goes where the built-in soundtrack does. I'd link the SC4 FAQ, but it died when the SimCity site went Facebook and thanks to EA's long-standing history of whitelisting browsers even the Internet Archive doesn't have a copy.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 7, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Avocados posted:

In-place replacement is the hardest method, since the pollution will drive off High-Tech development. A separate High-Tech park and redevelopment of the old Dirty area with something else is much easier.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I usually keep my high tech and industrial/dirty industries on opposite sides of the map. Then when I do want to get rid of the dirty, I usually repurpose it into low-income housing/commercial, since they'll live pretty much anywhere.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MikeJF posted:

In-place replacement is the hardest method, since the pollution will drive off High-Tech development. A separate High-Tech park and redevelopment of the old Dirty area with something else is much easier.

Really not, if you have sufficient cash buffer you can usually just get away with bulldozing it all and waiting for the new HT to pop up in its place.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
Do any mods enable you to add reservoirs or lakes? I'm getting a nice region going on the Fhuzo map but there are conspicuously few waterways and reservoirs as compared to the real region. It seems like this is becauce SC4 doesn't have any support for water that's above "sea level" but I figured one of the mods would have a workaround. I tried to make one with PPonds but it was annoying and looked really lovely. I am running Old Fashioned 3.0.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
Instead of getting more mods, I added a bunch of inland waterways to my Fhuzo region the good ol' fashioned way:

Just need to throw something in that northern basin and I'll finally be able to get back to...plopping farms everywhere, mostly. Does SC4 distinguish between salt and fresh water at all?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Hammy posted:

Just need to throw something in that northern basin and I'll finally be able to get back to...plopping farms everywhere, mostly. Does SC4 distinguish between salt and fresh water at all?

No, it can't.

Maltor
Sep 24, 2011

Hammy posted:

Instead of getting more mods, I added a bunch of inland waterways to my Fhuzo region the good ol' fashioned way:

Wow, that looks great! A really nice way to spice up those larger flat areas. Any chance you'd be willing to upload that as a blank region?

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I second that, I would love to have that region.

Welp, I've caught the Sim City bug again from lurking this thread and dug out my discs. I grabbed one of the packs, and I need a few tips. Should I be using all of these crazy puzzle pieces to make my highway system, or is it all for aesthetics and the vanilla highways are fine?
Should I even be bothering with that or should I just layout avenues and rail as I fill out my region with farms and suburbs and then lay out highways once I have small cities?
Finally, are all of these ploppable airport and seaport pieces just for looks, or can I actually plop a perfect little seaport instead of letting one grow haphazardly from zoning?

Man, I love me some Sim City, but I always fall into the same trap where I spend all my time making everything either the perfect picturesque little college town or a realistic but ugly strip mall and tract housing shitburg, and then get bored and start a new region before I ever grow something into a real city. It's infinitely relaxing, and actually a lot like I play The Sims 2, where I'll spend hours making a flawless little digital Ikea showroom kitchen, then abandon it and start a new house just to do the same thing in the baths. It's like bonsai for the ADD.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm pretty sure the RHW stuff in NAM actually has a much higher capacity than the basic highways, so there may be an actual reason to make use of them.

They also look waaaay more authentic, at least within a US-style city setting.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn

Maltor posted:

Wow, that looks great! A really nice way to spice up those larger flat areas. Any chance you'd be willing to upload that as a blank region?

Thanks!

I decided to add the waterways after I had already gotten the region rolling a bit, once I finish my region touch up I'll obliterate the cities and upload it.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I've been googling around a bit... anyone have a good Pittsburgh region for download?? I found one or two, but they are meh

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 19, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I can't seem to find a tutorial for how to connect RHW across city boundaries. I had two 4rhw going opposite ways, but only one seemed to go. I think I followed the instructions right on sc4devotion, but it isn't working right. Only one side is showing traffic and the other is dead. Youtube turned up a bunch of general tutorials but I didn't see any pertaining towards this??

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I can't seem to find a tutorial for how to connect RHW across city boundaries. I had two 4rhw going opposite ways, but only one seemed to go. I think I followed the instructions right on sc4devotion, but it isn't working right. Only one side is showing traffic and the other is dead. Youtube turned up a bunch of general tutorials but I didn't see any pertaining towards this??

Could you screenshot both sides of the connection?

Also, RHW has a tutorial PDF that should be in the NAM folder & goes over making neighbor connections, among other things.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 23, 2013

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Does anyone know if the alluvion.org tracker is having issues? Trying to download the Grand fromage pack from the OP, but while downloading it just tells me I'm not registered to use the tracker, which I am, I can log in just fine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tindahbawx posted:

Does anyone know if the alluvion.org tracker is having issues? Trying to download the Grand fromage pack from the OP, but while downloading it just tells me I'm not registered to use the tracker, which I am, I can log in just fine.

I think the tracker authenticates the IP address you log into the website with to use the tracker. Make sure your torrent client uses the same IP address as your browser. (If you're using an anonymizing proxy or such you might have to disable it.)

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

nielsm posted:

I think the tracker authenticates the IP address you log into the website with to use the tracker. Make sure your torrent client uses the same IP address as your browser. (If you're using an anonymizing proxy or such you might have to disable it.)

Its weird, I've checked all that, its all matching up. Bizarrely downloading the other 2 torrents listed in the OP works fine and lets me grab seeders from Alluvion, its just the GrandFromage pack that doesn't work. :ohdear:

Edit: you really weren't joking when you said dependency hell in the OP...I'm currently sitting here trying to add CAMeLots to the game and every simgle bloody lot needs about 6 or 7 dependencies, BSC This, BSC That, BSC The Other. Its unreal.

Have these guys just never heard of the idea of releasing modpacks with all the dependencies in one zip? Would it not be easier to just bundle ALL the BSC dependencies as one single file, as opposed to having 12 different drat things and having to check if you've got them all with each different lot you download.

It seems like an absolutely crazy way of doing things to me!

Edit 2: The dependency I just downloaded relied on another dependency, which obviously had to be downloaded separately... :negative:

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 6, 2013

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Hah, oh wow, the SC4 Lex has a daily download quota, and what with all the dependancies required you can't do it all in one day.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Tindahbawx posted:

Have these guys just never heard of the idea of releasing modpacks with all the dependencies in one zip? Would it not be easier to just bundle ALL the BSC dependencies as one single file, as opposed to having 12 different drat things and having to check if you've got them all with each different lot you download.

Sorry about the super-late reply! Someone put a pack together which is linked in the OP and fortunately still works:

quote:

Once again, gentle and kind-hearted goonkind has come to the rescue. The following pack is a collection of many common dependencies, and should cover your needs for most lots and mods you'll find. This list is, well, extensive; a full documentation is included with the download, which can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n66339svskduc6k

Hopefully this ought to solve some of your problems. And yeah, moddin' ain't easy; Oldfashioned sits pretty at something like 7000 individual files, with no duplicates.

As for the CAM packs... it's a really awesome mod, but to be honest, a lot of its content is pretty old, and hasn't aged well in comparison to newer lots made over the past three years. One of my big motivations for making OldFashioned was to have a pack that had CAM compatibility, but spared the old CAM lot packs in exchange for newer content. The newer CAM lots (and newer stuff in general) tend to need a lot less dependencies, since the community has finally accepted that most of us have moved past owning a Fisher Price router.

The dependency stuff is insane because the original modding etiquette was set up in the days of 56k, and also because the community is made of giant spergs who want their name/full credits on every little park bench and euro-set stop sign they model. And there are a lot of different euro stop signs. There are so many different kinds of stop signs, and if you believe the modders, the amazing part is that in Europe they all mean different things.

e: also, to those seeding OldFashioned - thanks so much, it's cool to have something be useful for people! But you can probably de-seed version 2 and start seeding version 3.

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 14, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SC4devotion is a weirdass website in general. I think they once considered suing somebody for making a second account.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Shibawanko posted:

SC4devotion is a weirdass website in general. I think they once considered suing somebody for making a second account.

I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but I once heard that site described as "So spergy even the server the site's hosted on has Autism" and that's honestly the best description of that site.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I recently started exploring all the fancy custom airports and seaports, and functional railyards. I think I've finally gotten the hang of making some nice, realistic regions- thanks in large part to learning how to make large sprawling suburbs, large land areas dedicated to farming, and limiting 'high density' zoning to downtown cores while using medium density a lot more. It's resulted in a lot more pleasant look to my cities, and a change in my playstyle from 'optimized megalopolis' to 'fun zen garden for urban simulation', so I take time with cities rather than rushing them.

Unfortunately through all this my plugins folder had gotten so bloated I was experiencing random CTD from conflicting mods on city loading. So I decided to wipe it all, and install the latest Old Fashioned Pack, functional airports/seaports, modular rail yard, as well as the prop pack for seawalls and whatnot. Still a large mod folder, but pretty much everything I really need to create cities.

Before approaching my latest region, I decided to embrace my inner :spergin:, and drew up some development plans before starting in on my project;

This game really excels at everything SimCity 2013 did miserably. I can start a large project and work on it an hour or so at a time, and it's actually kind of rewarding and fun, especially once you learn it well enough to start taking this kind of top down approach.

My only gripe is how cumbersome many of the mods are to use. I'm impressed by how far the modding community has pushed this game, but god drat is tabbing through puzzle pieces ever annoying.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 20, 2013

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I love this zen garden for urban simulation, but I really hoped for a city sim that used resources like SC2013 was supposed to*: The region maps have resources, the placement of which directly influences land value and utilization as well as directly determining the cost of terraforming. If there could have been an added era system that determined what technology you have available, you have a whole new strategy game on your hands. Probably closer to the Anno series in some sense, but I've not played any of those games so I cannot say. Think back to what Sim City and SC2k had with the different starting times, but more advanced/in-depth.

To dream, I guess. In the meantime SC4 remains satisfying.

*-in my head

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The only part of SC4 which I still treat like a "game" as opposed to a landscaping tool is the efficiency of traffic. I basically ignore money because it's a joke to become super rich anyway. Making traffic flow effectively gives me something to build around in a non-haphazard way.

I've said it before but the only way to get something better than SC4 is probably some kind of serious kickstarter open source project. It would need very little resources as long as it is readily moddable. Even the 2.5D graphics of 4 could be preserved as long as it means modding is easy. Mostly it would need to have a good terraforming engine and better handling of things like water, regional traffic and resources.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I can't get the 'Diagonal Bridge Enabler' mod to work at all. I've tried using it in conjunction with the toggle mod and without, and my cities are never drained of water. I have C++ installed, and I've tried running it in compatibility mode and administrator mode. Anyone know what might be the problem? I'm running Windows 8 64 bit for reference.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Is it just giving you the "stopped working" dialog right as you launch it? I noticed this problem myself on Windows 7 64-bit when I installed NAM 31.2. The only way I was able to fix it was by restoring the backup exe that it thankfully produced for me. I'm afraid I can't really offer a better solution, but my previous exe works fine with the DBE.

Now if I could only figure out why my Fhuzo region wants to crash whenever I try to reconcile certain tiles or terraform others. :negative:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I get no such dialog actually, regardless if I use manual install or the toggle enabler. Nonetheless, I'll see if there's a backup exe! Truth be told this is the third successive installation (I usually clean house when I start in on a new region project- redownload only what I used) I've used with this mod installed and it's never worked right for me, so I'm thinking it must have something to do with 64-bit, and I'm not sure if a backup exe will fix it. Strangely the community forums are completely void of anyone reporting the same issue which is why I asked here.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Like much else in Sim City 4 modding :iiam:

When the hell is Will Wright going to come out of the woodwork and unveil his new city simulation project for crowdfunding? I'm certain he must be thinking about it. I know I wouldn't be able to control my wallet if he did.

Does he even still like city simulators or did he completely abdicate when he birthed The Sims? Does anyone even know?

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

zxqv8 posted:

When the hell is Will Wright going to come out of the woodwork and unveil his new city simulation project for crowdfunding?

Will Wright is a narcoleptic who sleeps on a pile of money. This makes game development tough.

Though that said, if he were to do such a thing I'd be willing to get all creepy and look up his address, if only so I could pull into the driveway and physically throw money at his house.

My dream is basically SC4 updated for modern gameplay: gridless, free camera, with advanced terrain tools and the like. Full 3D would be awesome, and I think computers are finally getting to the point where computers can handle that with a good level of detail (so long as the simulation isn't brain-fuckedly resource-intensive like SC5.) I actually think the region system in SC4 is really cool, if poorly executed; in an ideal universe I'd like the tiles to be a bit irregular, like a county map:

As far as the diagonal bridges go, I'll be honest - I looked at that mod, but how it works spooked me. Intuitively it seems like one of the craziest/least stable mods out there, though for a modpack guy I know gently caress-all about this stuff. Wish I could be more help!

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
Is there a mirror for the addon pack torrents posted in the OP? They looked up yesterday but now the links just bring me to a "domain expired" page.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

*PUNCH* posted:

My dream is basically SC4 updated for modern gameplay: gridless, free camera, with advanced terrain tools and the like. Full 3D would be awesome, and I think computers are finally getting to the point where computers can handle that with a good level of detail (so long as the simulation isn't brain-fuckedly resource-intensive like SC5.) I actually think the region system in SC4 is really cool, if poorly executed; in an ideal universe I'd like the tiles to be a bit irregular, like a county map:

I'd like the game to be basically grid-based, since regular measurements make it much easier to make buildings fit against one another (as opposed to the swathes of green space in SC5 as the result of a lack of a grid), I just want to be able to turn off the grid for certain things and build in freeform.

Full 3D is nice but it seems like a kind of zero sum tradeoff between that and playability. 2.5D was a perfect solution for its time since it allowed great detailed graphics on a large scale with limited hardware, and I think it's probably still the best way to go about it.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
I reject the false choice created by EA's lovely sequel! There are other games which have pulled off non-grid based layouts effectively; it just requires effort, which EA seems to have spent on their awful agent system.

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but one way to do it would be by generating generic-ish buildings between major lots. This way you can have your beautiful detailed high rises, and all the less notable lots between them, filling the gaps. I think we're at a point tech wise where this is possible.

Alluvion has been finicky lately, I'll see what I can do for mirrors when I get home; I'm not anticipating that'll be much though, sadly.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

*PUNCH* posted:

I reject the false choice created by EA's lovely sequel! There are other games which have pulled off non-grid based layouts effectively; it just requires effort, which EA seems to have spent on their awful agent system.

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but one way to do it would be by generating generic-ish buildings between major lots. This way you can have your beautiful detailed high rises, and all the less notable lots between them, filling the gaps. I think we're at a point tech wise where this is possible.

Alluvion has been finicky lately, I'll see what I can do for mirrors when I get home; I'm not anticipating that'll be much though, sadly.

Yeah I agree the system you're describing for generic buildings should be used somehow, especially for residential suburban areas where I don't care much about customization and variety and just want a lot of lots to grow into my street plan.

LabDrunk40
Jun 17, 2005

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun..."

Hey Punch, you said to let you know if there was anything about the OldFashioned3.0 pack that was “buggy”. I removed 2.0 from my plugins and replaced it with 3.0, and now I am getting constant crashes. Sometimes I’ve only played a short while, other times I have can a good sized city running. To combat this, I started saving more often… but this action can sometimes result in crashes as well!

I tried a complete reinstall and that didn’t seem to fix it.

The only other plugin I have is the garbage ingestor. I run the game through Steam, and for launch options, I have -CPUcount:1 -CPUpriority:high -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 –f

I’m running in hardware mode with the Graphics Rules.sgr fix.

Any ideas? For the meantime, I’ll probably go back to 2.0 (which never once gave me problems).

Thanks again to you and all those in this thread for your time, effort and assistance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
I didn't add much to 3.0 other than new buildings, so I'm a little surprised.. The only mechanical change is the replacement of NAM with its newer version. Could you try removing the NAM from 2.0, replacing it with the most current version, and seeing if that replicates the error? There are a few options for NAM which are a little less stable (can't remember off the top of my head, but it'll be evident during the install - mostly larger network options for RHW, and something else.) I stuck with a bunch of pretty intense options for 3.0. I was under the impression that they reconfigured how some of the networks, uh, work, especially the larger RHW systems, and I wanted to make sure the new pack was forward-compatible with whatever everyone had built in 2.0.

I'll take a look and see if I can replicate anything. Fortunately I've still got a copy of 2.0.

Double-fortunate, because it seems Alluvion is no longer being maintained. :negative: I can put up 3.0 and 2.0 and public trackers, but I don't have any of the other packs. To those reading the thread - if you've got a copy of GrandFromage's, Killhour's, or even the old Gigapack, please put a torrent up or host it somewhere!

• Locked thread