Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Moey posted:

https://www.vmware.com/try-vmware/

You will have to make a login.

I've gotten that far, but can't find vCenter Server, they have VMware vCenter Chargeback Manager, VMware vCenter Operations, VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager, VMware vCenter Log Insight... I don't know what is what.

I signed up to eval the vCenter Operations but that isn't it. The download page says "VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite 5.7 (supports VMware vCenter Server 5.1 only)" so it sounds like that is an additional service on top of vCenter Server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I see it on this page: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/5_1

"VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1b and modules"

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

IT Guy posted:

I've gotten that far, but can't find vCenter Server, they have VMware vCenter Chargeback Manager, VMware vCenter Operations, VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager, VMware vCenter Log Insight... I don't know what is what.

I signed up to eval the vCenter Operations but that isn't it. The download page says "VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite 5.7 (supports VMware vCenter Server 5.1 only)" so it sounds like that is an additional service on top of vCenter Server.

vmware has the worst web site in the world.

sign in to My Vmware then go to downloads-->vsphere, and register

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Docjowles posted:

I see it on this page: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/5_1

"VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1b and modules"

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Tried both? I always get a follow up with this bullshit:

pre:
You either are not entitled or do not have permissions to download this product.
Check with your My VMware Super User, Procurement Contact or Administrator.

If you recently purchased this product through VMware Store or through a third-party, try downloading later.
edit: :doh: bah, I got it. You just have to find the sweet spot in their website to allow you to register for the proper trial.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 20, 2013

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I think my issue is that the marketing is run by some add crackhead. They change the names to products so fast that about the time you figure out what's going on you are completely lost because the poo poo has changed names/been discontinued/replaced/superceeded etc. Why must we rename view to Horizon?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

KennyG posted:

You'd think that, but some firms we visit have a weird layered proxy that is killing the connection.

It's bat-poo poo crazy and I am fighting with our management and theirs showing them every step of the way to anyone who will listen that this is their ridiculous config doing stupid :tinfoil: things. Our management wants to throw money at the problem (and bill it back to the client) and while it's not a view I share personally, it's certainly a behavior that, on a Pavlovian basis, I want to reward.

Dilbert, I lost plat on my last ban. Can you email me

Missed this some how I will email you

KennyG posted:

I think my issue is that the marketing is run by some add crackhead. They change the names to products so fast that about the time you figure out what's going on you are completely lost because the poo poo has changed names/been discontinued/replaced/superceeded etc. Why must we rename view to Horizon?
Do you have steam? http://steamcommunity.com/id/Johnfisher89 Feel free to message me here

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 21, 2013

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

vSphere 5.5 is released :toot:

Now to wait until others have discovered all the upgrade issues before upgrading myself.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Now to wait until others have discovered all the upgrade issues before upgrading myself.

from http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/09/a-summary-of-whats-new-in-vsphere-5-5.html : "vSphere Web Client – the web client in vSphere 5.5 also comes with several notable enhancements. The web client is now supported on Mac OS X"

Frickin FINALLY. Although honestly the only time I used the web client was for the VCP class, and I found it hella slow and bad compared to the native Windows client.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Yeah, that's really welcome for us since we RDP into the vCenter server to run the desktop client, as everyone here is on a mac.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/2013/09/vsphere-5-5-is-here-kbs-you-need-to-know-about.html

Here's a bunch of KBs you should take a look at.

VCOPS 5.7.2 available for vSphere 5.5 too: https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vcops-pubs.html https://www.vmware.com/support/vcops/doc/vcops-572-vapp-release-notes.html Still no IE10 support, still says only support for Chrome 24 and 25. Hell, still says only support for Configuration Manager 5.6 which is weird with 5.7 having been two months now.

SRM 5.5 https://www.vmware.com/support/srm/srm-releasenotes-5-5-0.html

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 23, 2013

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Yeah, that's really welcome for us since we RDP into the vCenter server to run the desktop client, as everyone here is on a mac.

yeah I have an windows vm on my Mac strictly for running vsphere client (and to play civ2)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

luminalflux posted:

What are the SSO requirements for the new client, or is the vSphere client now replaced by a web ui that uses single accounts still?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I had all my NICs mysteriously re-order on one of my [different] hosts, so that was a fun one to fix. And I for some reason can't set Jumbo Frames on one of the vSwitches for the system (it stops passing any traffic at all).
Really bizarre, since it worked fine before the upgrade and continues to not work despite rebuilding the host and re-teaming the NICs (802.3ad).

Edit: Three Intel PRO/1000 NICs in a team. The 10Gbit Brocades and their vSwitches work fine with Jumbo Frames, thank goodness.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Praise Buddha, one-way trusts in vSphere SSO 5.5 work out of the box!

Time to migrate from 5.0u1, finally.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kachunkachunk posted:

Edit: Three Intel PRO/1000 NICs in a team. The 10Gbit Brocades and their vSwitches work fine with Jumbo Frames, thank goodness.
So how long have you been waiting on a support callback? :laugh:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

evil_bunnY posted:

So how long have you been waiting on a support callback? :laugh:

He has the privilege of directly contacting the developer that implemented the feature, and getting the response of "It works for me."

edit: Also likely to get "I'm busy working on 6.0, it is fixed there."

DevNull fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 23, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DevNull posted:

He has the privilege of directly contacting the developer that implemented the feature, and getting the response of "It works for me."

I remember when 4.0 came out and I contacted them about a VMFS regression. I told them exactly what the error was, when the error was introduced, exactly how to reproduce it in greenfield with a single server, what in their code caused it, and how to fix it, and it took eight months before they released a fix.

Developers.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Misogynist posted:

I remember when 4.0 came out and I contacted them about a VMFS regression. I told them exactly what the error was, when the error was introduced, exactly how to reproduce it in greenfield with a single server, what in their code caused it, and how to fix it, and it took eight months before they released a fix.

Developers.

To be fair, the developer probably had it fixed in half a day. Then it took 3 weeks of risk assessment on the patch to see if it could go into a minor release. After that you have several weeks where the code is frozen and QA is doing all their integration testing. The code was finally ready to ship at that point, but the finance people decided that we had to ship in Q3 instead of Q2. Of course the marketing team is busy working on some other major release at the start of Q3, and they don't want this minor patch to distract from that major release. Better tack on a few more weeks before we ship the code.

And this is how corporate software development takes forever.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So it seems to me that when a new version of vSphere comes out, you upgrade right away, whereas with other software you wait a little while for bugs to be shaken out before you upgrade? Am I just reading the situation wrong, or is VMware really more trusted than everybody else to put out good software?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There are a LOT of people running older revisions.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

So it seems to me that when a new version of vSphere comes out, you upgrade right away, whereas with other software you wait a little while for bugs to be shaken out before you upgrade? Am I just reading the situation wrong, or is VMware really more trusted than everybody else to put out good software?

I'd still wait a few weeks or so just for any of those AH-HA bugs

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I'd still wait a few weeks or so just for any of those AH-HA bugs

That's still a drastically different timeline than "wait for SP1" in the Windows world.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

That's still a drastically different timeline than "wait for SP1" in the Windows world.

Well in any environment you should test the latest release to some extent to ensure that it is stable for your environment.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

it's because the new versions of vsphere have features we need to live.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't think most customers or users successfully adopt the latest versions that quickly - I suspect it has more to do with them going through the necessary internal testing before committing it to production, and that takes quite a while. Then there's the holiday change freeze coming up for Q4 for a lot of companies.

Also the environment in question is for testing/learning/home use, so it's a fairly risk-free move for me to upgrade to the bleeding-edge releases when they come out. It also ensures I get a decent head-start at familiarizing myself with new features and configuration.

DevNull posted:

Heh, all true. Plus I'm really hesitant :ohdear: to file bugs or reports based on my home lab until I'm absolutely certain that my configuration or even the quite-unsupported-whitebox-servers weren't the source of the problem to begin with.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

So it seems to me that when a new version of vSphere comes out, you upgrade right away, whereas with other software you wait a little while for bugs to be shaken out before you upgrade?

It depends on the featureset. I skipped ESXi 5.0 because of the vRAM idiocy, and went 4.1 to 5.1 as soon as 5.1 was out. vCenter 5.5 has features I need.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yay for people who don't configure anti-virus on VDI environments.

"Why do I have storage/environment meltdowns ever 6 hours?"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it just that all the scans are hitting at the same time? :haw:

I hate to be that guy that needs jokes explained, but I'm a newb to VDI :ohdear:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I hate to be that guy that needs jokes explained, but I'm a newb to VDI :ohdear:

Scan's and vShield re-scanning every file in the datastores, it effectively was DDOS'ing its data storage to oblivion.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Do you guys still configure scheduled scans? I figure if the realtime scanner misses something you're hosed anyway, the virus will have neutered the AV long before the scheduled scan runs.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

sanchez posted:

Do you guys still configure scheduled scans? I figure if the realtime scanner misses something you're hosed anyway, the virus will have neutered the AV long before the scheduled scan runs.

I could explain all the vshield and stuff that was going on causing it but I think just saying "it was Symantec" sums it up.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Scan's and vShield re-scanning every file in the datastores, it effectively was DDOS'ing its data storage to oblivion.

Your storage vendor will tell you that you just need to buy their latest SAN to soak up all of those pesky IOPS!

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Is vShield still super buggy or do you recommend it now?

We don't do scheduled scans.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No scheduled scans, scan on write only not read.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Is vShield still super buggy or do you recommend it now?

It's still buggy, but I was just there to fix the issue.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

It's still buggy, but I was just there to fix the issue.

Cool. It always seemed like a great idea, but poorly implemented.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Yep, any scheduled events set up across your Guests/VMs should be staggered over a timeframe/window, however way you can.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Actually this was Symantec throwing all it's updates to vShield, after which Symantec decides "All my hashes are poo poo time to DDOS the same and get all the agents to start doing scans. That and someone really didn't configure a blackout window, because you know it's always next>next>next done!

Set it for a distributed window on their 2 hours of "low volume" sub 10 ms all day baby. Not bad for the storage they are using... But I seem to be the only one who really doesn't 'get' the HP storage hype.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
That's really good to know, actually! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We've had great luck with vShield and Kaspersky. We do not have any scheduled scans configured.