Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Got a couple questions for any ATT employee who might be able to answer since the phone reps and online reps wont give me an answer.

Is it possible to disable data and text to a specific phone?
What i want to do is pre-order the the Galaxy Note 3 and use the absolute bare minimum plans for everything (NationWide 450 minutes $39.99 and 300 megs of data for $20.00)
This should bring my bill to $59.99 a month according to their bill calculator.

Now, the other question is this: I work for Sears Holdings and according to our companies third party discounts I should get 23% off the monthly plan costs. I can do the math so i know what the bill SHOULD be, but i dont know if those plans are covered by the corporate discount(The reps wont tell me unless i actually buy the plans first, which is a red flag to me). If it does work, what other potential fees would i be looking at? If there is any way to tell me exactly what i would be paying per month after fees and tax? I live in Arizona, i believe our current sales tax is 8.9%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Duckman2008 posted:

Just fyi some COR stores will insist on opening the box because its a fraud deterrent. Ordering online is likely the easiest way, not like you need the phone asap for phone calls anyway. Plus the way commission is now a days it'll actually hurt said reps numbers more than help, so they won't like you anyway.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with the process, AT&T just has a lot of fraud issues so they really frown on stuff like that.

I know, I was just mentioning it. You may still be able to get someone at best buy or something, tell them it's a present. :shrug:

It may have helped I went into work on my day off and obviously everyone knew me

myron cope posted:

What's the SIM thing? Will the SIM in the box not work or mess up billing or something? I have two upgrades on my account and have been curious about selling them for a while.

iPhones come with a preinstalled SIM and the barcode printed on the back. If you can 1) convince a rep not to open shrink wrap 2) not to use preinstalled SIM but instead one that you provide, you then at least have a quasi-valid* claim for BNIB Never Activated

*IMEI will have been scanned onto your account, I don't know of a single retailer that will let an unactivated, subsidized phone walk out the door without at least being scanned onto an account.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

e: Lifehacker compared all the early upgrade plans and doesn't really care for Next: http://lifehacker.com/are-early-upgrade-plans-worth-it-1369868915

NEXT makes sense if you want to buy a phone with no contract but can't afford the full retail up front. I think of it more of a lay-away system than anything else. You buy the phone a little at a time, while being able to use it, until you can afford to pay the whole thing off and do it again if you want, with no penalty for ending contract.

obeyasia fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 24, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

grimcreaper posted:

Got a couple questions for any ATT employee who might be able to answer since the phone reps and online reps wont give me an answer.

Is it possible to disable data and text to a specific phone?
What i want to do is pre-order the the Galaxy Note 3 and use the absolute bare minimum plans for everything (NationWide 450 minutes $39.99 and 300 megs of data for $20.00)
This should bring my bill to $59.99 a month according to their bill calculator.

Now, the other question is this: I work for Sears Holdings and according to our companies third party discounts I should get 23% off the monthly plan costs. I can do the math so i know what the bill SHOULD be, but i dont know if those plans are covered by the corporate discount(The reps wont tell me unless i actually buy the plans first, which is a red flag to me). If it does work, what other potential fees would i be looking at? If there is any way to tell me exactly what i would be paying per month after fees and tax? I live in Arizona, i believe our current sales tax is 8.9%.

You should be able to disable data on that plan. FYI the discount goes off the base plan, so either the base voice plan or base mobile share plan.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Not sure if this is the right place, but anyways.

My wife and I both have iPhones with AT&T. She has the 5, and I was upgrade eligible and just got the 5s today. It's nice, but admittedly she will use the new camera way more than I will, so I wanted to see if it's possible to just switch the two phones around basically. How would we do this, if at all? Is it just swapping SIM cards? Or do we need to do that as well as restore both phones from the new itunes backups?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

nwin posted:

Not sure if this is the right place, but anyways.

My wife and I both have iPhones with AT&T. She has the 5, and I was upgrade eligible and just got the 5s today. It's nice, but admittedly she will use the new camera way more than I will, so I wanted to see if it's possible to just switch the two phones around basically. How would we do this, if at all? Is it just swapping SIM cards? Or do we need to do that as well as restore both phones from the new itunes backups?

Swap SIM cards. A COR rep will do it for free.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Beefstorm posted:

Swap SIM cards. A COR rep will do it for free.

Well I can swap the two SIM cards out-that's easy. But what about the data?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

nwin posted:

Well I can swap the two SIM cards out-that's easy. But what about the data?

Backup in iTunes, then wipe and restore

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
COR Employees should look at MyCSP today. They finally figured out that the new comp goals are set OBNOXIOUSLY high. Now whether or not that means they will change it is another story.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
My wife has a POS Samsung Captivate with a year left to an upgrade. It's been replaced multiple times, and still sucks. I'm looking for an inexpensive new phone for her. If I buy an unlocked phone, such as this Nokia C2-01.5 can I just move the SIM? Do I need to get ATT involved at all?

I read the OP's stuff on P1 but didn't see this kind of scenario addressed. Note: I'm not necessarily going to buy that Nokia, it's just an example.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

My wife has a POS Samsung Captivate with a year left to an upgrade. It's been replaced multiple times, and still sucks. I'm looking for an inexpensive new phone for her. If I buy an unlocked phone, such as this Nokia C2-01.5 can I just move the SIM? Do I need to get ATT involved at all?

I read the OP's stuff on P1 but didn't see this kind of scenario addressed. Note: I'm not necessarily going to buy that Nokia, it's just an example.

Id just go to a COR store and pick up a Nokia Lumia 520 or whatever that $79.99 Android phone is from the prepaid go phone section. Decent smartphones with no new contract.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Thanks, but we're still paying on her contract, and I'd rather not double-pay for whatever usage she incurs. Is there a way to get what I need without that?

Edit Oh, had no idea I could use a contract SIM in a pre-pay phone. Thanks!

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 25, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beefnoodle posted:

Thanks, but we're still paying on her contract, and I'd rather not double-pay for whatever usage she incurs. Is there a way to get what I need without that?

You buy the prepaid phone, put in your SIM (may need to get a new microsim) and go. Nothing else changes.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Duckman: Thank you for the response, i appreciate it.

Id like a little clarification if anyone can provide it. On the AT&T company discount website, my totals are showing up as this - Sub-Total (one time charges): $335.99 Sub-Total (monthly recurring charges): $50.79

Here is the part where i need help with the clarification though. This monthly subtotal does not include "discretionary charges". Since they don't tell you how these numbers are factored in and all the reps ive talked to essentially say "You will find out once you have the plan, let me have your credit card numbers." If anyone knows how to factor these charges in, i would really appreciate the help on it. For some reason, im pretty sure its not going to simply be adding them all in as that would make my monthly total around $55(Edit: I found out Im an idiot by re-looking at those charges and my math was terrible. but ill leave it there so people can get a laugh.) but im probably doing something horribly wrong.

These charges are listed like this:

State
ARIZONA
Federal Universal Service Fund
15.1%
State Universal Service Fund
$0.00
Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
Administrative Fee
$0.61
Other AT&T Surcharges
5.6% - 13.5% +.$0.28

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 30, 2013

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

Duckman: Thank you for the response, i appreciate it.

Id like a little clarification if anyone can provide it. On the AT&T company discount website, my totals are showing up as this - Sub-Total (one time charges): $335.99 Sub-Total (monthly recurring charges): $50.79

Here is the part where i need help with the clarification though. This monthly subtotal does not include "discretionary charges". Since they don't tell you how these numbers are factored in and all the reps ive talked to essentially say "You will find out once you have the plan, let me have your credit card numbers." If anyone knows how to factor these charges in, i would really appreciate the help on it. For some reason, im pretty sure its not going to simply be adding them all in as that would make my monthly total around $55(Edit: I found out Im an idiot by re-looking at those charges and my math was terrible. but ill leave it there so people can get a laugh.) but im probably doing something horribly wrong.

These charges are listed like this:

State
ARIZONA
Federal Universal Service Fund
15.1%
State Universal Service Fund
$0.00
Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
Administrative Fee
$0.61
Other AT&T Surcharges
5.6% - 13.5% +.$0.28

It's really hard to estimate taxes because every state has its own fees and taxes. I work at a location intersecting three states and I never estimate taxes for good reason. In PA, your bill carries roughly 17% in extra taxes and fees. WV and Ohio, not nearly as much. It gets really difficult.

However, it does look like you nailed it pretty well. Just make sure Arizona doesn't charge sales tax on your bill. PA does. When I get to work today, I'll check Arizona's specific fees.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
A couple questions. I checked the OP and back a few pages, but I'm not finding much.

3gb vs 5 gb plans: Can phones with hotspot functionality (iPhone specifically) really only use that when on the 5 gb plan?

Discounts: Can I add on an employee/student discount after my account has been activated? I may buy in store, but I don't have a college student ID, even though my college does offer a 15% discount (which I can use my email address for).

Edit: I think this answers my question about hotspot: http://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Features/Dose-AT-amp-Thotspot-work-with-data-pro-3gb/td-p/3263881

canyonero fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 30, 2013

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

A couple questions. I checked the OP and back a few pages, but I'm not finding much.

3gb vs 5 gb plans: Can phones with hotspot functionality (iPhone specifically) really only use that when on the 5 gb plan?

Discounts: Can I add on an employee/student discount after my account has been activated? I may buy in store, but I don't have a college student ID, even though my college does offer a 15% discount (which I can use my email address for).

Edit: I think this answers my question about hotspot: http://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Features/Dose-AT-amp-Thotspot-work-with-data-pro-3gb/td-p/3263881

Yes and yes.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
So I have PS Vita on my account with a cheap, $15/mo data plan. When I logged in to AT&T's website, it told me that the phone number assigned to the Vita is eligible for an upgrade. Sure enough, if I enter that phone number in to Apple's website, it gives me the 2-year contract pricing. So, if I ended up ordering a phone using that line and then swapped the SIM for my normal phone line, I assume I'll just be on the hook for $15/mo for the next two years, right? They won't try and add a voice line to it, will they?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CoasterMaster posted:

So I have PS Vita on my account with a cheap, $15/mo data plan. When I logged in to AT&T's website, it told me that the phone number assigned to the Vita is eligible for an upgrade. Sure enough, if I enter that phone number in to Apple's website, it gives me the 2-year contract pricing. So, if I ended up ordering a phone using that line and then swapped the SIM for my normal phone line, I assume I'll just be on the hook for $15/mo for the next two years, right? They won't try and add a voice line to it, will they?

No. It is against the customer agreement and they will crack down on it.

Also, go into a cor store and ask to activate your vita on a 2yr plan. They give you $100 credit and you will make a rep's day.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can "upgrade" the Vita line, yes, get the phone and swap it to whatever line you want and then have the Vita line put back the way it was. This poo poo is annoying and a waste of time for COR people.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CoasterMaster posted:

Well, let's be more clear with this. It is against ATT policies to use an upgrade like a vita or iPad to get a phone (because the phone subsidy is a lot more than what they can make on a $15 a month plan). That being said, you probably could process it online and they won't notice. Or cancel it, add a line with the smartphone, convert said smartphone to the vita 250MB plan and pop the Sim in that way. So yeah, you can do it, just know ATT frowns on it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
can I get a data only plan on a smartphone? I want to leave a phone in my car with 3g/4g providing a hotspot and Bluetooth audio streaming without having to mess my actual phone. I have a phone, and it is worth $10/mo for me. If I have to sign a contract I would, but I would want to get something for that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

can I get a data only plan on a smartphone? I want to leave a phone in my car with 3g/4g providing a hotspot and Bluetooth audio streaming without having to mess my actual phone. I have a phone, and it is worth $10/mo for me. If I have to sign a contract I would, but I would want to get something for that.

You could do it for a tablet, but not a smartphone. Whether you can get away with it on a tablet plan is questionable at best.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

No. It is against the customer agreement and they will crack down on it.

Also, go into a cor store and ask to activate your vita on a 2yr plan. They give you $100 credit and you will make a rep's day.

Just know that this gives you a two year contract with a $150 etf.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

kitten posted:

Just know that this gives you a two year contract with a $150 etf.

Obviously. Hence a 2 year agreement.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan from my old iphone 3g. I was surprised when I was able to upgrade my iphone 3G to the Atrix without losing my unlimited data like my mother did, and now it is time for an upgrade and I'm looking at the Samsung Note 3 when it releases to stores on friday. There's a COR store down the street from my house where we perform purchases, will there be any trouble in continuing to use my unlimited data plan or did I just happen to fall through the cracks and I technically shouldn't have unlimited data anymore?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

PseudoFaux posted:

I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan from my old iphone 3g. I was surprised when I was able to upgrade my iphone 3G to the Atrix without losing my unlimited data like my mother did, and now it is time for an upgrade and I'm looking at the Samsung Note 3 when it releases to stores on friday. There's a COR store down the street from my house where we perform purchases, will there be any trouble in continuing to use my unlimited data plan or did I just happen to fall through the cracks and I technically shouldn't have unlimited data anymore?

Nope. Just be safe and tell them you want to keep it.

ih8hlywdvideo
Feb 3, 2006

Entering a Zone of Danger
LTE rolled out in Jacksonville, NC earlier this week. Sadly I'm getting really long ping times and speeds around 2 Mbps; when before the LTE roll out I was getting between 10 and 15. I wonder if they're still in a testing phase or something like that?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Just fyi some COR stores will insist on opening the box because its a fraud deterrent. Ordering online is likely the easiest way, not like you need the phone asap for phone calls anyway. Plus the way commission is now a days it'll actually hurt said reps numbers more than help, so they won't like you anyway.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with the process, AT&T just has a lot of fraud issues so they really frown on stuff like that.

I'm coming back to this, just to make sure I don't screw myself:

I go to apple's (or AT&T's?) website, verify that I'm eligible for an upgrade, pay the $200. A data plan will be added (since the line I'm upgrading doesn't have one), but I can remove it since I won't be activating the phone. This next part is where I'm confused, I guess:

SeaborneClink posted:

iPhones come with a preinstalled SIM and the barcode printed on the back. If you can 1) convince a rep not to open shrink wrap 2) not to use preinstalled SIM but instead one that you provide, you then at least have a quasi-valid* claim for BNIB Never Activated

*IMEI will have been scanned onto your account, I don't know of a single retailer that will let an unactivated, subsidized phone walk out the door without at least being scanned onto an account.

I buy a new SIM from AT&T? The "convince a rep not to use the preinstalled SIM" is the part I don't get, I guess. If it's a completely unopened box, and the SIM is preinstalled, how does my own SIM come in to play? And where do I get one?

I'm sorry to be asking so many (probably very stupid) questions, I just don't want to mess this up :ohdear: Is there a more appropriate thread here? (I didn't see one)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You could go into an AT&T store before you purchase the phone and just say "Just got an iPhone, may I have a nano-sim?" then just bring that blank with you when you pick up the phone.

I'm not saying that they will even allow you to not activate the pre-installed SIM, it's probably a rep or if they deal with a lot of suspected fraudulent activations a store policy not to do so.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

You could go into an AT&T store before you purchase the phone and just say "Just got an iPhone, may I have a nano-sim?" then just bring that blank with you when you pick up the phone.

I'm not saying that they will even allow you to not activate the pre-installed SIM, it's probably a rep or if they deal with a lot of suspected fraudulent activations a store policy not to do so.

Dunno about other stores, but it's our stores policy not to hand out SIM cards if we are not activating them. Fraud deterrent. So YMMV.

Also, we don't have an SSR anymore. I was the only one trained how to do inventory, device tracking, RLO, and it was audit day. Stayed 3 hours after my shift fixing everything. Thank god our auditor knew we just lost an SSR and I only knew so much. She let us slide on ALOT under the promise that when she comes back in a month that everything was correct! And she retrained myself and my manager (who informed me he doesn't like operations stuff and that "you can do it right?") on how to do everything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Dunno about other stores, but it's our stores policy not to hand out SIM cards if we are not activating them. Fraud deterrent. So YMMV.

Also, we don't have an SSR anymore. I was the only one trained how to do inventory, device tracking, RLO, and it was audit day. Stayed 3 hours after my shift fixing everything. Thank god our auditor knew we just lost an SSR and I only knew so much. She let us slide on ALOT under the promise that when she comes back in a month that everything was correct! And she retrained myself and my manager (who informed me he doesn't like operations stuff and that "you can do it right?") on how to do everything.

We will give our SIM cards as long as you have an active phone account.

And I know ATT just removed a lot of SSR (greeters) and FSR (store operations) positions, but how does neither your manager nor your assistant manager not know inventory? They're encouraging reps to start doing more operations, but in the end operations responsibility falls on management, not you. Just remember that if you're doing inventory you aren't selling, so you aren't making as much money.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

ih8hlywdvideo posted:

LTE rolled out in Jacksonville, NC earlier this week. Sadly I'm getting really long ping times and speeds around 2 Mbps; when before the LTE roll out I was getting between 10 and 15. I wonder if they're still in a testing phase or something like that?

LTE here in New Bern isn't amazing either - 5 down and up with full signal. Ping times are OK tho.

ih8hlywdvideo
Feb 3, 2006

Entering a Zone of Danger

bigtom posted:

LTE here in New Bern isn't amazing either - 5 down and up with full signal. Ping times are OK tho.

Yeah. It's just lovely that speeds were twice as good not on LTE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FYI starting mid November ATT will only be offering Mobile Share plans to new customers. Current customers can keep their plans for as long as they want, bit the minutes plans will be discontinued.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
If I ordered a wireless charger from AT&T's website, can I return it to a corporate store?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PurpleJesus posted:

If I ordered a wireless charger from AT&T's website, can I return it to a corporate store?

Yes.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
My manager caught wind of my handling this megathread.

:colbert: What platform is that on?
:) The something awful forums.
:colbert: Is that popular?
:) I guess.
:colbert: Can you do something like this on reddit?
:( ...no

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

There's a very sparsely used sub reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

You got lucky, most people would def not have liked it.