Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Got my windows tinted. This week I also replaced a seat back that was broken somehow and got floor mats. I'm still in the phase where its mostly little cosmetic things to return the car from the funk that the previous disgusting owner left it in.

drat, look at that gap. Really needs to come down 1.5-2", waiting for spring though. Seems stupid to lower a car right before winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EightBit posted:

As much as the Infiniti looks demolished, it's driver is probably less banged up than cursedshitbox.

Yeah the passenger compartment looks totally intact.

Those pictures are a graphic demonstration of what happens when you hit something that is higher than the structural bits of your car - it can get really nasty at higher speeds.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Today I found teh source of the brake fluid loss on the Niva. There's a horizontal crack in the reservoir behind the bracket. It's high enough that the fluid would drop but not get into the danger zone. I'm sure people will have a fit over this but I cleaned it off and stuck a chunk of bicycle innertube over it with superglue. It looks like a really old crack which I probably cleared the poo poo out of when I did a fluid flush. It explains why all the metal under the reservoirs is a paintless rust orgy. Going to order another reservoir shortly.

I did my best to sand the rusty metal under the reservoirs. A horrible place which had to do with a little bit of wet and dry paper and my fingertips. Got it close enough and slapped rust convert on. When that's done it'll get a wipedown and cold gal. I just don't give a poo poo.

Also did my best to wirebrush and sand the remaining bit of the rear weatherstrip lip. Again a rough job but it's a huge bitch of a place to do it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Zip tied the vac line running from intake -> bypass valve in half, disabling my bypass valve...

It is AMAZING how much quicker the car is between shifts... I also found out that recircing was totally pointless as I have a jdm 3rd gen motor in my MR2.

Intercooler shroud and mounting bracket arrived around noon today, installing them tomorrow. No more rattling around in my quarter panel.

Need to buy one of these ASAP:

http://www.racerxfabrication.com/products/mr2_celica/misc/bpv_block_off.html

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Little car show near the house. Brought the whole family.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I put some new spark plugs into my GTI. Everything seems to be running smoothly.

I also took a look at my wife's car (2007 Lexus RX350) to see how easy it'd be to swap the plugs in her car. Jesus christ, Japanese cars are hell to work on. I'll have to take off the entire intake manifold to get to the rear bank, then I'll have to take off the windshield wipers/motors and the rain tray to get enough space to do anything.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

trouser chili posted:

What model is that Benz on the right?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Mister Kingdom posted:

What model is that Benz on the right?

250c

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

smax posted:

I put some new spark plugs into my GTI. Everything seems to be running smoothly.

I also took a look at my wife's car (2007 Lexus RX350) to see how easy it'd be to swap the plugs in her car. Jesus christ, Japanese cars are hell to work on. I'll have to take off the entire intake manifold to get to the rear bank, then I'll have to take off the windshield wipers/motors and the rain tray to get enough space to do anything.

I assure you being Japanese has nothing to do with it, any transverse V engine is going to be a pain in the rear end. Hell, my Blazer has 1 spark plug that's notoriously hard to get out because the steering shaft runs in front of it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

smax posted:

Just wait until something breaks, you'll be feeling slightly different about things.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Installed intercooler """"mounting bracket"""" (malformed plastic box with two huge holes in it) that alarmingly seems to completely lack any kind of provision for securing the intercooler in place. With heavy modification it made a good foundation for a complex network of zip ties.

But at least my IC is not going to bash around in my quarter panel any more, I'm pretty excited about that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

trouser chili posted:

Does that '60 F100 have the big rear window? Kind of looks like it does.
E: Although the grille is painted instead of chromed, so maybe it's not a custom cab? But it looks kind of like the edge of the window at the back of the cab. Hrm.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I finished welding the tailgate weatherstrip lip, also welded a crack in the tailgate. Ran some white cloth tape along the top to hold the crumbling headliner edge together I hope. Went mad with windscreen sealant RTV, shoved the weatherstrip on and went mad with RTV again. I am so goddamn sick of it funneling water into the space behind the seat every time it rains.

Also vehicle related I charged up my worse for wear Chinese iGo GPS and updated the maps from 2008. Then I started to wonder what happened to all my downloads for it including a copy of explorer.exe so I could use other GPS stuff with it including the builtin utilities which are all hidden by the lovely menu.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Fucknag posted:

I assure you being Japanese has nothing to do with it, any transverse V engine is going to be a pain in the rear end. Hell, my Blazer has 1 spark plug that's notoriously hard to get out because the steering shaft runs in front of it.

This. First time I did the plugs on our Bravada, I was like......seriously???

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Raluek posted:

Does that '60 F100 have the big rear window? Kind of looks like it does.
E: Although the grille is painted instead of chromed, so maybe it's not a custom cab? But it looks kind of like the edge of the window at the back of the cab. Hrm.

It was a small window I think. The big window is curved glass that wraps around the rear pillar, correct? It didn't have that going on. Just flat glass in the back. It also had the big straight six and a three speed column shift.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

trouser chili posted:

It was a small window I think. The big window is curved glass that wraps around the rear pillar, correct? It didn't have that going on. Just flat glass in the back. It also had the big straight six and a three speed column shift.

Yeah. Base model! Short bed, I assume? They usually are. I need a new bed for mine and I'm having a hell of a time finding a long bed that hasn't been sitting in a field forever.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Yeah, it was a shortbed stepside.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I changed the oil in the beater today. At 173k miles, I don't think it's got long to go before it something lets go...

I noticed this on the past couple oil changes, but this time the metal pieces are much larger. I'm buying a new car within the next week or two so it doesn't need to last much longer. As I said before, this is a beater... so I used up some oil containers that were all partly full.

Yep. 4 oils, 3 weights, 1 synthetic, most not. :v: (I've never done this on an oil change, it's mostly gotten the Castrol GTX in the picture but today I said eff it, let's free up some shelf space.)

I'm afraid I have to trade it in because I don't think I can sell this car in good conscience. The outside looks like it's been in a war anyway.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Larrymer posted:

I'm afraid I have to trade it in because I don't think I can sell this car in good conscience. The outside looks like it's been in a war anyway.

Why? You won't get much for it as a trade-in so yo might as well put up an honest ad about it and a price to match. Then you aren't locked in buying from said dealer.

Today I did not much. It's still early-ish morning, but I did dig out what I needed for installing a tachometric relay for the fuel pump on the Niva. I am also hoping that the parcel post-man will bring me some brake parts. If the Aussie post trucks operate on the weekend there is an outside possibility of this. Realistically I'm expecting late this week.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Exorcised the dashboard rattle that was making me nuts. It was the glovebox damper strut, which is just a tube with a spring and rubber-tipped piston that makes the glovebox door glide open. The spring broke loose inside the tube and rattled on every bump. I took the strut off and will give it to the service advisor in a few months when I go in for my 7500 mile checkup.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Dropped the passenger side fuel tank on my International pickup. The fuel sender didn't even have a float, and it wasn't rattling around in there either. Where the hell could it have gone? Who would install a tank without it and drive without knowing how much gas is there?

Otherwise it was a lot cleaner than the drivers side tank - time to have it steamed and coated.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Replaced the starter in the '80 Mk1 Scirocco today; people say it's a half-hour job, and I can definitely believe that if you're doing it in the garage with all the tools you need already on hand. For me, it ended up taking about 4 hours, 2 of which were spent driving to and back from town (it's very far away) to pick up a tap set so I could remove the old starter bushing (you tap the bushing and just yank it out by hand). The other two hours were spent laying in the dirt, getting bitten by ants and having tumble-weed burrs get stuck in my back (the back of my head has some huge welts now from being jabbed or bit by stuff). I would have loved to move the car into the garage to work on, but my backyard* is entirely dirt, and while hard enough to drive on without trouble, there is no way I was going to manage push-starting it around my backyard driveway. One thing about working in the dirt that definitely ended up making things take more time, was the fact that I couldn't get the car lifted as high as I would have been able to in the garage. Even with a large board to sit on, the jack-stand and board sunk a couple of inches into the dirt, leaving me with not quite enough room to work when pushing the new bushing into the transmission and when lining the front motor mount back up.

Next thing on the list is going to be a new battery; I moved the car about a week ago from my grandfather's place to mine (again, very large, very dirt backyard, hence why I wasn't even going to try push-starting it in my own backyard after the fiasco of getting it out of his), and we had to fast-charge the battery, because it was so dead, it couldn't even drive the LED dash indicator lights for brake or battery. Once the new starter was in and buttoned up, the battery was actually still able to give me 3 increasingly weak test starts (with letting the alternator charge the battery for a while in-between) before it finally crapped out for good. I think it dropped a cell, because it'll now drive all the lights at half-brightness, but starting just isn't going to happen with that battery.

* Here's a picture; I originally made it to show where I was planning on building an air-rifle/.22lr berm (now built), but it works in this case.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I bought it a driveway and a garage.

Pretty sure I could fit six to eight of my car in that garage. I look forward to being able to finally wash my car regularly.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Put in motor, diff, and transmission oil into my rx8. Plus cleared up the headlights and took care of some scratches.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Replaced the driver's side rear brake caliper and bled the system. The piston seal had failed (OEM, not bad for a 15 year old New England car) and it was pissing brake fluid out very slowly. It was also fairly caked with road grime. The new caliper moves so much more freely that I got a little worried when I didn't feel as much initial resistance from the pedal. Also the parking brake engages a lot easier.

yay cars :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

StormDrain posted:

Dropped the passenger side fuel tank on my International pickup. The fuel sender didn't even have a float, and it wasn't rattling around in there either. Where the hell could it have gone? Who would install a tank without it and drive without knowing how much gas is there?

Otherwise it was a lot cleaner than the drivers side tank - time to have it steamed and coated.

In my experience with the passenger tank on my 74 IH pickup, the float simply dissolved as the gasoline inside the tank rotted. My tank was in seriously bad health though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

Exorcised the dashboard rattle that was making me nuts. It was the glovebox damper strut, which is just a tube with a spring and rubber-tipped piston that makes the glovebox door glide open. The spring broke loose inside the tube and rattled on every bump. I took the strut off and will give it to the service advisor in a few months when I go in for my 7500 mile checkup.

Find mine next please. There's a godawful buzz every time it decelerates now. Sort of like jigsaw on a big overhanging bit of wood kind of vibration. Real headache stuff. It's done that ever since I fixed the heater tap and I have absolutely no idea why.

Yesterday I replaced a brake drum and tried to add a fuel filter but it was too small. It's there clamped to hell anyway until I buy a new one today with a larger OD barb fitting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was going to say, old plastic/foam + gasoline = you probably got a minor mileage bumpsome more varnish in your carb due to that float dissolving over the last however many decades.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My ride decided it didn't like the power steering pump today. At least they're cheap for 99 Taurus' :v:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 24, 2013

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Stripped out the holes in my bumper that I screw my license plate into and had to buy a new license plate mount and install it.

Tip: if you want a high-quality license plate mount that looks very good and clean, run to a Volvo dealership. This thing's the best license plate mount I've ever seen.

It was funny talking to the parts counter guys when I got it though. They asked what kind of car I had and I replied that I don't even own a Volvo--I drive a GTI. We then went on to discuss how the Germans haven't figured out that screwing things into a plastic bumper with sheet metal screws is a bad thing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Took a lot of time to focus on cleaning the seats in my truck and restoring all the trim. I had just planned to clean the mirror housings with Back-to-Black, but when I did that it made all the other trim look bad. I meticulously went over all the trim, going so far as to remove the trim underneath the windshield wipers (required removing the wiper arms) and giving it a few coats.

I'm happy to have a clean truck now. Going to run it by a car wash tomorrow to get the body looking good. Too bad I can't wash and wax it here myself.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Frozen-Solid posted:

I bought it a driveway and a garage.

Pretty sure I could fit six to eight of my car in that garage. I look forward to being able to finally wash my car regularly.

Congrats dude. Having your own garage to do car stuff is a life changer.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I bought new rubber! 275/35/19. Ready for the Tail of the Dragon in 11 days. :woop:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

StormDrain posted:

You could keep track by using the trip counter, like on most motorcycles. If you know roughly how far you can go on a full tank, it's pretty easy.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Bought another fridge for it!

http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/products_details.asp?pid=11&productid=21585

Now i've got 40L of Engel fridge for food, and 40L of engel fridge for beer! :D

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ferremit posted:

Now i've got 40L of Engel fridge for food, and 40L of engel fridge for beer! :D

So 80L for beer, then? Sounds good to me!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Swapping a passenger seat for 40L of beer sounds fair, right?

Each fridge will hold 60x 375ml cans!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Swapping a passenger seat for 40L of beer sounds fair, right?

Each fridge will hold 60x 375ml cans!

Good for a night out. Extra beer capacity and extra fuel capacity. You're planning a big trip I guess?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

That sounds hideously awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Good for a night out. Extra beer capacity and extra fuel capacity. You're planning a big trip I guess?

Not a huge one- Adelaide through Ngarkat and the Big Desert wilderness area for the long weekend in October.

The bigger tank will give me a lot more comfort range going on the desert treks tho- last time I went across the simpson desert, I filled up in Oodnadatta to the brim and rolled into birdsville with about 20L left onboard. This time I'd have 90 odd litres still in reserve, which would be good for another 600 or so kms of desert travel.

The 2nd fridge is because it gives me options- I can either run a single fridge, two fridges or a fridge and a freezer for the multiple week long trips away.