Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Shoopuf, if you get a chance, pick up a bunch of pickaxes, head to a Flooded Forest Harvest tour, and check the underwater areas for mining nodes. There's a few weapons you can make with pelagicite ore that aren't half bad when you're just starting out.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Miijhal posted:

Shoopuf, if you get a chance, pick up a bunch of pickaxes, head to a Flooded Forest Harvest tour, and check the underwater areas for mining nodes. There's a few weapons you can make with pelagacite ore that aren't half bad when you're just starting out.

That's great advice. I didn't even realize there were underwater mining nodes yet... Sounds like I'm off to make some new poo poo! :neckbeard:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Ah, I was wondering whether my internet had shat the bed or what.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I've been Googling but can't find a definite answer on this. I know they patched the Wii U version to allow cross region online play, but what about local play? I'm in Aus and have an imported US 3DS, while two of my friends have an AU 3DS and Wii U. They've been playing this together and it looks amazing, and I want to join them in local play. But will I be able to if I get the US version for my 3DS? I'm concerned because we had some strange issues with Luigi's Mansion local play recently.

I just want to kill giant monsters with my friends. :black101:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
As far as I'm aware, local co-op shouldn't care about region, but that's mostly based on my experiences with the older PSP games where you could do EU/US/JP local play without any issue. Not sure if that's different with the 3DS, though.
The main thing with the WiFi crossplay was just how there were separate servers.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Nahxela posted:

As far as I'm aware, local co-op shouldn't care about region, but that's mostly based on my experiences with the older PSP games where you could do EU/US/JP local play without any issue. Not sure if that's different with the 3DS, though.
The main thing with the WiFi crossplay was just how there were separate servers.

I can attest to local Co-Op being region free. I've managed to get into some local hunts with people who own Tri G on the 3DS before.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Finally reached HR50 in MH4. The monster you unlock at that rank is Rare Species Tigrex

The thing's about the size of a DEVILJHO and has the ability to slime you with anything he does. Roar? Slimed. Bite? Slimed. Rock throw? The rocks are explosive and you get slimed. Not to mention, this guy has an incredible tolerance to being mounted. It took upwards to around 5-6 minutes into the fight before me and my team finally got a successful jumping attack on him. And even then, his thrashing managed to damage everyone else around him too.

Definitely an insane step up from the relatively boring fight with Lucent Narga in 3U.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

avlein posted:

Finally reached HR50 in MH4. The monster you unlock at that rank is Rare Species Tigrex

The thing's about the size of a DEVILJHO and has the ability to slime you with anything he does. Roar? Slimed. Bite? Slimed. Rock throw? The rocks are explosive and you get slimed. Not to mention, this guy has an incredible tolerance to being mounted. It took upwards to around 5-6 minutes into the fight before me and my team finally got a successful jumping attack on him. And even then, his thrashing managed to damage everyone else around him too.

Definitely an insane step up from the relatively boring fight with Lucent Narga in 3U.

He's also BLOOD RED and looks absolutely terrifying. MH4 please come to the West oh Godddddddddddddd.

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

My only ingredients are HATE, VITRIOL, and FLUFFY BUNNIES

horriblePencilist posted:

Oh sorry, I thought you were playing on Wii U. My bad.

This game is introducting me to all kinds of new sources of anger. I'm trying to get my hands on a single King's Frill to complete my Jaggi armor set, yet even after the 5th Great Jaggi I still haven't found it.
Do I get any kind of bonuses for hunting more outside of quests?

I have WiiU as well, I just don't know how to express my online information for the WiiU very accurately

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
I forgot to mention. That hunt also provides you with Mega First Aids and Supply Max Potions.

They knew it's was gonna be a pain to fight. :gonk:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Lucent Narga was a good fight :colbert:

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
All the guys posting about getting into multiplayer or just starting; please add me. I need my monster hunter fix and have no problem running low rank quests. My Wii U ID is Steamshovel.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Is there a way to switch to off-TV gameplay on the fly, or is it just the option to have the game mirrored on both devices in the main menu? It's a bit of a hassle, if that's the case.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Nahxela posted:

avlein posted:

I can attest to local Co-Op being region free. I've managed to get into some local hunts with people who own Tri G on the 3DS before.

Thank you! I bought a copy. Somehow I think this game is going to devastate what's left of my free time, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Right, got the room open for today. Come join us while we get new players up to HR3 so we can force them to fight Deviljho. :v:

World 1, Room 7, password: lljk.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Shoopuf posted:

Is there a way to switch to off-TV gameplay on the fly, or is it just the option to have the game mirrored on both devices in the main menu? It's a bit of a hassle, if that's the case.
I think you can only do it from the main menu/before you load a character, but I'm not 100% on that.

bigbabyjesus
Jun 28, 2005

Shoopuf posted:

You can go into options in-game and change the Wii u gamepad type to 2 for off screen play

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

What's a good site for materials and where to find them? I'm mostly hoping to be able to locate some things to work toward upgrading to some slightly more sturdy weapons over the really breaky stuff I start with rather than gaming all the armor possibilities.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Shoopuf posted:

What's a good site for materials and where to find them? I'm mostly hoping to be able to locate some things to work toward upgrading to some slightly more sturdy weapons over the really breaky stuff I start with rather than gaming all the armor possibilities.

This is usually the database I search with. http://www.kiranico.com/

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Kizurue posted:

This is usually the database I search with. http://www.kiranico.com/

That was exactly what I needed. :allears: Now all I need to is to actually, you know, hunt monsters and make cash for this soldier blade.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Just want to say that feeding new players to Deviljho is the most fun I've ever had in this game.

(of course now that I'm at the very start of G-Rank where I have neither the weapons nor the armor I need, everything is eating me in turn :v:)

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Miijhal posted:

Just want to say that feeding new players to Deviljho is the most fun I've ever had in this game.

I will never forget when I was fresh off from fighting Great Jaggi and my friend roped me into playing some port quests with him, and the first thing he showed me was the Qurupeco online quest. He just told me "there's this thing that he likes to do, that you're going to LOVE."

So we fight him for a while, and then of course Qurupeco calls in a Rathian and I don't think a video game had ever filled me with as much fear as it did in that moment.

By the way, I've been talking with some friends about how bummed out I am that the Monster Hunter MMOs are so awful, because the monsters in them rule. Look at this guy! Look at THIS guy! Look at the ARMOR that guy gives you!

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 23, 2013

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Is there some particular trigger for Qurupeco's to summon a Rathian? I know that a Rathian showed up five seconds before 'quest complete' message in a multiplayer game yesterday, but I've killed maybe 5-6 solo and the biggest thing they've ever called in is a Great Jaggi.

Also, I did end up buying both versions (because I'm an idiot or something) and the 3DS/Wii U data transfer is pretty terrible. First off, it's not a sync, it's a transfer and it transfers all of your save slots, not just one. So, in order to transfer you'll have to erase all savedata on the device you want to transfer to. :effort:

I can see myself using it, but it's a huge loving hassle (~3-5 minutes of device juggling) if you were thinking you could just sync saves and play the game on the bus or train or whatever. Kind of a shame since that sort of crossplay function would have been amazing if it worked right.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

WeaponBoy posted:

Is there some particular trigger for Qurupeco's to summon a Rathian? I know that a Rathian showed up five seconds before 'quest complete' message in a multiplayer game yesterday, but I've killed maybe 5-6 solo and the biggest thing they've ever called in is a Great Jaggi.

Peco's only call Rathians in multiplayer quests. At lease in low rank, after that anything goes (which by that I mean Deviljhos all day erry day).

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Nah, Qurupeco can call Rathians in village quests. It typically depends on what difficulty quest you're doing, where the later/high rank/more stars a quest has, the more likely Qurupeco will call something more threatening.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Peco's only call Rathians in multiplayer quests. At lease in low rank, after that anything goes (which by that I mean Deviljhos all day erry day).

Most assuredly not true. First time I fought Quru was on 3DS, playing single player, and I very definitely had a Rathian get called.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rathian was all Peco summoned when I slaughtered his rear end in solo.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Sire Oblivion posted:

Rathian was all Peco summoned when I slaughtered his rear end in solo.

Really? I remember him calling Great Jaggi in his first appearance in the Village Quests.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I remember Jaggi spawning in Tri, but 3U I don't remember him ever coming out.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Well, I look incredibly stupid now but I have Focus, Awaken, and Status +1 armor now. :v:

v I am seriously squeaky shoes away from looking exactly like a clown.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 23, 2013

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Miijhal posted:

Well, I look incredibly stupid now but I have Focus, Awaken, and Status +1 armor now. :v:

I got Sharpness +1, Awaken, Guard Boost, and Gaurd+2, but I look like an anorexic clay statue. Clownsuits represent. :respek:

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I only discovered last night that I could recolour parts of Hi and G-rank equipment. So now my combo armour sets match a bit better, and I have renewed verve in getting better-ranked armour sets of the Low Rank stuff I made and set aside.

The Bnahabra set looks absolutely stunning in white.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
So the marina quests are completely unrelated to the quests you do in the marina (regardless of whether it's actually online), right? Is there are reason not to just power through one or the other? Seems like you have to do village quests to level do things like level up the farm and boats, but your HR won't go up unless you're doing stuff in the online mode.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

WeaponBoy posted:

So the marina quests are completely unrelated to the quests you do in the marina (regardless of whether it's actually online), right? Is there are reason not to just power through one or the other? Seems like you have to do village quests to level do things like level up the farm and boats, but your HR won't go up unless you're doing stuff in the online mode.

Pretty sure you get Hunter Rank Points on village quests too.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pretty sure you get Hunter Rank Points on village quests too.

You do, because I did yesterday. Of course you have to kill Miralis first.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I kinda want to jump in on the MH4 bandwagon, but I need an imported 3DS to do so. What's the cheapest way to get an LE? Doesn't matter which LE it is, but I like the DQM LE for the regular 3DS and the MH4 ones for the XL/LL. If I could find the DQM LE for around $200 or the MH4 one for around $300 shipped, i'd probably take the plunge.

I know, I should have pre-ordered one of the MH4 ones BEFORE everyone bought them up for the purpose of price gouging. It seems like there are way too many on the market now though, so i'm hoping someone will realize the gouging won't get them anywhere, and sell it for retail, which is far less.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
All I've seen of the LE MH4 3DS LL has had it priced at $440 or so. Haven't seen anything lower. Dunno about any other Limited Edition 3DSes

Sire Oblivion posted:

The very first time you do a Peco quest (in Sandy Plains), it summons a Great Jaggi in cutscene, then it flies away while the Jaggi remains.

WeaponBoy posted:

I did them side by side, so I could sort of farm some materials while completing quests, but that was just me.
You can pretty much do whatever you want, but because of the resources you can get in Village mode, I would put the emphasis on that.

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 24, 2013

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nahxela posted:

All I've seen of the LE MH4 3DS LL has had it priced at $440 or so. Haven't seen anything lower. Dunno about any other Limited Edition 3DSes

Even ebay has them as cheap as 380, but that is still way too expensive.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I've always gone for village first then blaze through early port quests with overpowered gear up to g-rank. Nothing quite like smashing kut-ku to pieces with Akantor armour and Narga hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's a tossup in village. I've had Jaggis a lot at the beginning but after the first Rathian he occasionally spawned Rathians.

• Locked thread