Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've jumped onto rubble before, no pilot check or anything to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The rubble is, however, a level higher than the hex the Drillson is on, so you can't kick it (from 1428).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The stationary Phoenix is a pretty nice target, but you would get shot in the arse by the Drillson. Unless someone on your team needs you for part of their plan, I'd probably do your original choice. Keeps you relatively safe, keeps them in the middle of you rather than the other way around.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Should I try to put down the Talos, or take advantage of the 0 move mod on the Rommel to hit it? I feel like switching targets off the Talos could be bad, but I do hate that Rommel a lot.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Does being at +8 heat mean I lose a hex of jump jet movement or just walking? This would affect my plan.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does being at +8 heat mean I lose a hex of jump jet movement or just walking? This would affect my plan.

Jump movement is however many jumpjets you have (or have left) you can still jump max with high heat. Which makes jump jets great for laser boats, jump in, laser, jump away while you cooldown.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This is going to sound like an odd question, but are any of you good at pixel art? Because I wouldn't mind a few pointers.

I'm thinking about making some icons for the various field effects just as a quick reminder I can attach to each map. It's been long enough that I'm worried people may have forgotten that Yantai Reservation is generating an additional point of `Mech heat each turn (due to being Ground Zero), and I'm brainstorming ways to make the field effects more apparent without my having to write them into every update.

VVV I could, but working on some icons and some writing sounds like a relaxing way to spend a couple of days off.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 23, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is going to sound like an odd question, but are any of you good at pixel art? Because I wouldn't mind a few pointers.

I'm thinking about making some icons for the various field effects just as a quick reminder I can attach to each map. It's been long enough that I'm worried people may have forgotten that Yantai Reservation is generating an additional point of `Mech heat each turn (due to being Ground Zero), and I'm brainstorming ways to make the field effects more apparent without my having to write them into every update.

You could just write it as an addendum underneath the map name.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Just one sentence under the map name should work fine. Maybe something like "Environmental Modifiers: Ground Zero, plus 1 heat per turn."

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Psion posted:

Yantai Reservation:
if you can't just shoot and obliterate the poor bastard in 1117 then I don't even know. You have what, four units that can focus on it? Or... line up along the river-ish-area (0715-1013) so as to not eat rear-arc shots from the Raven and Blackjack while murdering the guy in 1117 (sorry Carbolic? if I'm reading it right that's you)

critique these plans, thread. I figure I ought to learn something about how to stomp around in a giant robot so I can succeed fail entertainingly later.

I get to move out of the way first, which I will actually do this turn.

(Jumping behind the Quasit, unless I can't shoot him from the L4 - I think I can - in which case, going point-blank anyway. Gonna eat me some MG fire but time to take some risks.)

goatface posted:

Are there rules for landing on rubble, or is it as easy as anything else?

Rubble (like a destroyed building) requires a piloting skill roll to enter.

Rough (like the rocks on the terrain maps) doesn't.

I recall a rule that destroyed 'Mechs turned the hex into rubble and/or rough but can't actually find it in the rulebook... anyone?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Carbolic posted:

I recall a rule that destroyed 'Mechs turned the hex into rubble and/or rough but can't actually find it in the rulebook... anyone?

I will personally confirm that a destroyed `mech is a rough terrain hex. I didn't know this and ended up one hex short a few turns ago. The same turn I ate an AC/20 to the back.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Made a thing for environmental effects:

Obnoxious siren and cheesy voiceover not included.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Carbolic posted:

I get to move out of the way first, which I will actually do this turn.

(Jumping behind the Quasit, unless I can't shoot him from the L4 - I think I can - in which case, going point-blank anyway. Gonna eat me some MG fire but time to take some risks.)

Expect more than MGs; the Phoenix would need a 5 with its PPC, and the Cicada an 8.

Carbolic posted:

It's a house rule PTN always uses.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

fool_of_sound posted:

Made a thing for environmental effects:

Obnoxious siren and cheesy voiceover not included.

That looks great! I was more talking about making something like these:

(50 Bonus points if you can identify all four of those icons without a key)

But that's flashy enough to make it hard to miss in a mission briefing!

The Merry Marauder posted:

It's a house rule PTN always uses.

It's not a house rule, it was a standard rule they phased into TacOps when Total Warfare came out. I've gotten so used to playing with it I do it out of habit (just like the TacOps LOS rules).

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

That looks great! I was more talking about making something like these:

Top is EM interference (signal strength), left is danger to pilots from atmosphere/radiation (?), right is extra cooling due to lower ambient temperatures, bottom is increased heat due to higher ambient temperatures.

Really I have no idea on any of them.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
I think I've got three. Top is low gravity, right is extremely low temp, bottom is extremely high temp.

Can't quite figure out the left icon.

Edit: Oh, ^^^^^ sounds closer to right.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Olothreutes, you got three of them right and one of them partially right! 40 bonus points!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not a house rule, it was a standard rule they phased into TacOps when Total Warfare came out. I've gotten so used to playing with it I do it out of habit (just like the TacOps LOS rules).

I guess "optional" would be more precise, yes.

Of course, by that standard, artillery and ejecting are optional. Can you tell I miss Compendium-style rulebooks?

We all have home table idiosyncrasies. I didn't imagine anyone enforced the "you can't jump over enemies" rule, haha.

BoxOfAids
Feb 22, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Left is "flaming meteors may occasionally hit", obviously

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

BoxOfAids posted:

Left is "flaming meteors may occasionally hit", obviously

Yeah I think it's really clear that top is "your mech is on AT&T" and right is "blue lasers from outer space", bottom is "red musical lasers from outer space" and left is "taurians detected"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

"taurians detected"

:colbert:

Edit: The left one is an extremely rare atmospheric condition that would've turned up if you'd selected the Outworlds Protectorate pirate-hunting mission.

VVV He actually wouldn't have Line of Sight on the Quasit from the top of the bluff.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 24, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason why the Watchman can't jump to 1316 and unload into the back of the Quasit? Is there a limit on height to stop you shooting straight down cliff faces?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Psion posted:

"taurians detected"

It's missing something...ah yes, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XpImo80neo

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Is it atmosphere on fire?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it massively oxidising atmosphere? Because that's all I can see when I look at it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV He actually wouldn't have Line of Sight on the Quasit from the top of the bluff.

Why not?

e: Not that I think he should jump there anyway, but.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 24, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kirenski posted:

Is it atmosphere on fire?

Close

goatface posted:

Is it massively oxidising atmosphere? Because that's all I can see when I look at it.

Indeed it is! Flammable Atmosphere!

Under the standard LoS rules, the Quasit is protected by adjacent height 2 terrain.

Under the advanced LoS rules, this happens:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 24, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Close

Indeed it is! Flammable Atmosphere!

Does that...does that come up often?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Under the standard LoS rules, the Quasit is protected by adjacent height 2 terrain.

Under the advanced LoS rules, this happens:

My understanding of aLOS is that the terrain actually has to "intervene," that is to say, be between them, and that the target and shooter's own hex terrain don't count. There is no "Hex X," as it were.

Not quibbling, just making sure.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Intervening hexes count both horizontally and vertically. Due to the elevation change, the technically empty height 3 hex is intervening. Try it in MegaMek, I will be amazed if it lets you take the shot.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I'm not really set up for that (don't really use MegaMek), so I'll take your word wrt the non-hex. I'm entertained to imagine a 'Mech sliding its back along a cliff wall like in an '80s action movie, anyway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Does that...does that come up often?

No, but all it takes is a higher-than-average oxygen content and low humidity and suddenly your Quillar crop is a towering inferno and you've gotta duck and hide in your cement anti-wildfire bunker.

Or, y'know, being very close to the sun with an oxygen/fluorine atmosphere and enough metal content that some dumb corporate rear end in a top hat feels it's worth the expense of fireproofing a dropship to go mine.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 24, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Hahahah. That owns.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Soylent Pudding: Kicking would work at 1328 (which additionally exposes your unablated rear armor to SRM fire from the Phoenix (at 12s though with jumping, and I think the Plainsman would have 14s)) you'd be able to kick the Drillson and fire lasers, and it would allow the possibility of jumping to 0930 next turn to check on (and possibly fire at) what it did to the bunker while venting the remaining heat.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 24, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Fire lasers for 10s, but I'm sure "my" Drillson would cheerfully accept the opportunity to light you up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Spot the dreaded Far Country environmental hazard!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 24, 2013

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

To hell with the Far Country tile, the bee tile has frightening implications.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I wish that mech in the lower right was Atlas Cop, but I think it's meant to suggest mire or muddy conditions.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fixed

Picard Day posted:

To hell with the Far Country tile, the bee tile has frightening implications.

I don't know, they're not that bad.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
You are the greatest GM these forums have ever known.

• Locked thread