Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cantorsdust posted:

What's the consensus on a Tale of Two Wastelands? I remember seeing A Requiem for something or another a while ago and thinking "playing both fallouts at once would be really cool, but I'll wait until it's stable." So is TTW stable now? Can I throw Project Nevada + WME + EVE and expect it to work?

Honestly it works really good these days. A few hiccups, especially if you use a weather mod and don't look for a patch to fix the blackout weather, but it really does work great compared to the past version of this mod and the older Requiem of the Capital Wasteland. One mod I did like that on the website for TTW makes the teleporter you get at the end of Old World Blues able to warp you to specific locations in the game (after using it at that location), including Rivet City. Makes traveling between game worlds WAY easier.

I do like how it handles the two game plots, with it starting in Fallout 3 and doing the vault intro, but the moment you travel to New Vegas, a title card for eight years later appears and the intro for New Vegas starts. But a lot of the Doc Mitchell stuff is cut down, with him only checking on your name and repairing any damage to your character's face, then just going straight to handing your stuff back and telling you to see Sunny Smiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Gyshall posted:

How about compatibility? Does this make poo poo crash happy?

I basically want Fallout 3 with all the NV weapons, Project Nevada, and various Delay DLC/etc tweak mods. Possibly CCO/Jsawyer but not sure if they will affect the Capitol Wasteland.

Fallout New Vegas mods should not any issues beyond they might not completely affect the Capitol Wasteland or there might me some overlap. NV mods do not need to be converted. Any converted Fallout 3 mod should be no more crash happy than it would be in Fallout 3 unless it depends on FOSE.

With CCO I know there is a patch to make it work nicely with TTW since I made the patch. JSawyer might work, but I think a patch will be needed, mostly to add things to some CW specific leveled lists.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

There's a Vanila underwear body that looks like it uses an older mesh (because what's the point in improving something that doesn't show off polygonal tits, am I right?) and the "sexy" nighty underwear version in the FOMOD installer. You'd just never know it from the images.

Number of user submitted images utilizing the above bodies? Zero.

I've tried to use the Vanilla body and it just won't let me progress saying "No change has been applied." I think it's there to show the "improvements." And I would rather just go nude than use that stupid loving nighty .

Will that armor replace replace the Texture improvement stuff I've got already?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

delta534 posted:

Fallout New Vegas mods should not any issues beyond they might not completely affect the Capitol Wasteland or there might me some overlap. NV mods do not need to be converted. Any converted Fallout 3 mod should be no more crash happy than it would be in Fallout 3 unless it depends on FOSE.

With CCO I know there is a patch to make it work nicely with TTW since I made the patch. JSawyer might work, but I think a patch will be needed, mostly to add things to some CW specific leveled lists.

Thanks - I will give that a shot then. FNVEdit patches are easy enough to make, so hopefully I can whip something together for Jsawyer and whatever else.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
If you haven't checked, there's a number of mods that have been converted to work with TTW on their site. Usually, you just have to download the original mod for any assets, then use the esp from TTW's site.

I have to admit, I've been getting the craving to play New Vegas again, since the first 350 hours weren't enough it seems. I'm slowly talking myself into installing TTW, with the main temptation being so I can have all of Puce Moose's mods (and more importantly, their rewards) in one game. The one thing I'm struggling with is mods like FWE and Jsawyer, attempting to make the wasteland suitably harsh. Getting everything to work cross-wasteland could be tricky.

What I really want is a mod that seriously induces scarcity, particularly with regards to ammo. Even with jsawyer and whatever else I can find, I'm rolling in resources and ammo within the first hour or two (though it would help if I could resist the urge to powergame). I'd like to see something like Metro 2033 levels of ammo scarcity, where every bullet counts. It would also be nice if ammo crafting was more viable, since I take some degree of pleasure in spending time messing about with ammo. Sadly, the way the game distributes the components makes it more of a pain then it's worth usually, since the only way to obtain enough is from vendors, who either don't stock enough or don't have it on hand due to random chance at stock choosing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Renditious posted:

What I really want is a mod that seriously induces scarcity, particularly with regards to ammo. Even with jsawyer and whatever else I can find, I'm rolling in resources and ammo within the first hour or two (though it would help if I could resist the urge to powergame). I'd like to see something like Metro 2033 levels of ammo scarcity, where every bullet counts. It would also be nice if ammo crafting was more viable, since I take some degree of pleasure in spending time messing about with ammo. Sadly, the way the game distributes the components makes it more of a pain then it's worth usually, since the only way to obtain enough is from vendors, who either don't stock enough or don't have it on hand due to random chance at stock choosing.

PN has customizable scarcity of ammo and medicine and whatever else in their in-game menu. Honestly I don't know how well trying to make resources scarce works in the FO games. Most of the enemies, after the very beginning of the game, don't seem to have terribly limited resources. It might be weird to have like 3 bullets to your name when all the NPCs are spraying bullets and grenades all over the place.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Renditious posted:

If you haven't checked, there's a number of mods that have been converted to work with TTW on their site. Usually, you just have to download the original mod for any assets, then use the esp from TTW's site.

I have to admit, I've been getting the craving to play New Vegas again, since the first 350 hours weren't enough it seems. I'm slowly talking myself into installing TTW, with the main temptation being so I can have all of Puce Moose's mods (and more importantly, their rewards) in one game. The one thing I'm struggling with is mods like FWE and Jsawyer, attempting to make the wasteland suitably harsh. Getting everything to work cross-wasteland could be tricky.

I've played so many survival type games that even when I gimp ammo scarcity I still roll in it. I hoard ammo and can't help myself.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Renditious posted:

It would also be nice if ammo crafting was more viable, since I take some degree of pleasure in spending time messing about with ammo. Sadly, the way the game distributes the components makes it more of a pain then it's worth usually, since the only way to obtain enough is from vendors, who either don't stock enough or don't have it on hand due to random chance at stock choosing.

You'll probably want to be looking at Gtab's Improved Ammo, then. Break cases down into brass, turn that brass into cases for other calibers, break your dynamite down to powder, make powder from other components...

I should probably double-check and release the version I tweaked to reintroduce the Raufoss round and fix a few typos (missing spaces in breakdown recipe names, mostly), shouldn't I?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

You'll probably want to be looking at Gtab's Improved Ammo, then. Break cases down into brass, turn that brass into cases for other calibers, break your dynamite down to powder, make powder from other components...

I should probably double-check and release the version I tweaked to reintroduce the Raufoss round and fix a few typos (missing spaces in breakdown recipe names, mostly), shouldn't I?

Oh my god, dynamite have powder. :downs: Man, I really shouldn't have sold it all off.

Also, the game keeps crashing on me when I try to exit Broc Flower Cave (also, whenever I exit to desktop from in-game, but that's a non-issue) - would teleporting myself out fix the issue? First crash since I started playing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Has anyone used Apex without Nevada Skies? I'd rather use something else but they seem pretty adamant that it's absolutely required. Fellout was just fine for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After figuring out that it was broken because I didn't have HDR enabled, I have tried Apex and my god the contrast between the sky and everything else is terrible. It looks pretty nice unless the weather is clear, in which case I can't look up or I'll be horribly blinded. It's pretty much exactly like every other ENB: It looks nice in screenshots but playing with it set on is really annoying. :shrug:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

If that's the case, then turn down cloud/sky gradient intensity in the 'lil ENB menu thing. Press Shift+Enter to bring it up- it's under the "sky" section.

Because it definitely doesn't do that for me.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I am seriously enjoying the FWE preset mode for Project Nevada - Extra Options linked earlier. This is pretty much the perfect level of difficulty for me (though I had to disable the Immersive Sneak Messages and Alternate Repair System, since I do not like those.).

As far as scarcity, aside from the early game and maybe during certain DLCs (Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues (for Guns characters), The Pitt(with RFCW/TTW), there's generally no way I've found to keep it consistent through the entire game. Tougher economy mods can help, such as PMT - Tougher Economy.esp or the harsher trader settings of PN - Extra Options., but you'll still be finding quite a bit of stuff as you go along.

As far as TTW, it's pretty stable nowadays, but I generally don't like a bunch of the things the modder is doing. Wish he'd limit some of his vision to optional .esp files, like the replacing of skill books, perhaps add a way to start in the Mojave. Though I admit Goodsprings Gunfight is hilarious when you're packing a Tesla Cannon/Auto Axe, etc. I would've settled for just a conversion with a travel point.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is it possible and/or safe to install Lombard Station without starting a new game? I usually use the OWB home but this time I wanted to not do that DLC straight away.

e: and also where do I download the post-Omnicarus versions?

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 18, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is it possible and/or safe to install Lombard Station without starting a new game? I usually use the OWB home but this time I wanted to not do that DLC straight away.

e: and also where do I download the post-Omnicarus versions?

Should be, but save in an interior cell first to be sure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, I just found a BF2142 sub-machine gun using the Armory mod. :stare:

Best mod.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I love the Armory but I'm starting to realize all the weapons are super overpowered in my game since jsawyer/cirocsan/puce moose/project Nevada don't affect them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

horse mans posted:

I love the Armory but I'm starting to realize all the weapons are super overpowered in my game since jsawyer/cirocsan/puce moose/project Nevada don't affect them.

Yeah, they are. But at least you can control yourself - going around with a Garand and a PPSh destroying raiders is the best thing. :black101:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
It actually evens out since they're all stuffed in a weapon chest instead of on my walls so I never think to grab them. :confuoot: I kind of prefer my current strategy of, oh if a fiend or someone drops one, I grab it, empty it out into some monster, drop it, continue on my way. Like a powerup of sorts.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 19, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You know, I think it's sort of weird that for as common as chems are and as easy as it is to remove addiction side effects (unlike previous games), there's almost never any active side effects while using the drugs. Like, despite Psycho being described as a powerful drug that made soldiers difficult to control, there's no debuff to charisma or perception that might reflect somebody going mad with rage. "Med-X" (Morphine) is another good example: Despite being an opiate, there's no debuff to, say, agility or intelligence, or an increase in sleepiness. I've been tinkering with active debuffs--simple stuff, like negative effects that last as long as the positive effects--and it seems to provide a nice counterbalance to just slamming 6 different chems into your body whenever you want to go to war with the world. Has this been done before in a mod?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

horse mans posted:

It actually evens out since they're all stuffed in a weapon chest instead of on my walls so I never think to grab them. :confuoot: I kind of prefer my current strategy of, oh if a fiend or someone drops one, I grab it, empty it out into some monster, drop it, continue on my way. Like a powerup of sorts.

I did half a playthrough once where all I did was use weapons spawned on enemies with whatever ammo I could scrounge and usually I dropped the weapon once I was out of ammo for it. I didn't buy anything - weapons or ammo. It was actually quite intense and fun with the massive amount of variety available in the normal Armory leveled lists. There were quite a few times I had to make mad dashes to corpses to loot their poo poo, or lead them off to NPC enemies so they would kill each other off for me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You know, I think it's sort of weird that for as common as chems are and as easy as it is to remove addiction side effects (unlike previous games), there's almost never any active side effects while using the drugs. Like, despite Psycho being described as a powerful drug that made soldiers difficult to control, there's no debuff to charisma or perception that might reflect somebody going mad with rage. "Med-X" (Morphine) is another good example: Despite being an opiate, there's no debuff to, say, agility or intelligence, or an increase in sleepiness. I've been tinkering with active debuffs--simple stuff, like negative effects that last as long as the positive effects--and it seems to provide a nice counterbalance to just slamming 6 different chems into your body whenever you want to go to war with the world. Has this been done before in a mod?

No but it would be one I would very much want to play, along with something that makes addiction / withdrawals more serious and harder to cure.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

horse mans posted:

In terms of loot and rarity and sell prices, I can't really help out there, since we adhered to vanilla values assuming they'd fit in with whatever global modifiers people would use. Whatever modifies values in item entries themselves piecemeal instead of just changing global variables/loot list parameters is going to have balance problems.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Well, decided to take the plunge and started gathering the mods for a TTW run. I'm thinking that if I use PN and Jsawyer with PN's loot options turn way down, it should help to mitigate the excessive resources issue. I'm not sure how much will transfer over to F3 content, though. I suppose I'll just edit the values a bit with FNVEdit if necessary as I find issues.

One thing that makes me sad is the dearth of mods that add new enemies. MMM was a nice idea with a terrible implementation that only started with balance issues (and it was buggy to boot). Even though it's been taken off Nexus, I still have the files, but it's not going in, unless I can muster the energy to create my own plugin that adds a subset of the monsters in a more balanced way using the mod as a resource file. Not hugely likely to happen, however.

I don't suppose anyone's edited jsawyer to fit TTW, have they? It'd be nice to have it already done, since I don't think FWE will work well with TTW. Does anyone know if Fallout Wanderer's Edition works with TTW?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is the plot of Beyond Boulder Dome really terrible? I would normally assume that any mod with storyline is going to be pretty bad, but I'm curious to hear about this one.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is the plot of Beyond Boulder Dome really terrible? I would normally assume that any mod with storyline is going to be pretty bad, but I'm curious to hear about this one.

Let me put it this way: It wouldn't feel out of place as a part of Fallout 3.

Edit: Plus it's pretty buggy and anecdotally, both playthroughs where I've had it installed have been way more crash prone, even in totally unrelated places.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I thought it had a few good ideas and a lot of terrible ones, and that it was executed terribly all around. It's especially jarring when juxtaposed with Fallout: New Vegas relatively sober world building and dialogue writing. If you're really aching for more FPS Fallout it's worth a try, but I wouldn't say I recommend it.

Just to give you an idea of how zany and terrible it can get: one of the big plot twists involves a super computer actually turning out to be a super intelligent depressed monkey pretending to be a super computer.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Which mod should I be using to have unlimited companions? I'm currently running FOOK and Project Nevada, dunno if CCO's companion module will screw something up; and the Unlimited Companions mod seems to be outdated.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Azran posted:

Which mod should I be using to have unlimited companions? I'm currently running FOOK and Project Nevada, dunno if CCO's companion module will screw something up; and the Unlimited Companions mod seems to be outdated.
Unlimited Companions works fine for me. I don't know what those people in the comments are talking about.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Unlimited Companions works fine for me. I don't know what those people in the comments are talking about.

Oh, alright. I thought it wouldn't work with DLC.

Also, how's this? I think someone mentioned this is the NV equivalent to the Fallout 3 "NPC companions" mod: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42353//

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Azran posted:

Oh, alright. I thought it wouldn't work with DLC.
It worked fine for me in vanilla and in Honest Hearts. I haven't tested it for the other DLC.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I brought multiple companions into all the DLCs with Unlimited Companions, should work fine.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get ENB, FNV4GB and NVSE all working together. I can run NVSE / ENB without 4GB capability or FNV4GB without the other two. How does this work?

*e - nevermind, was using the wrapper version of ENB. Oy.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 21, 2013

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I don't mind a little wackiness in my Fallout experience, but I found the level design to be a much bigger problem. The dungeon in the dome itself was especially frustrating. There are some okay ideas buried in there, but I wouldn't play through it again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't know what spurred the authors into making a comedic mod, the original Boulder Dome design was pretty bleak / unnerving

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bleak and unnerving is harder to do. I think it only seems comedic cause its bad.

As I said, it wouldn't seem out of place as a bit of Fallout 3.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

PrinceRandom posted:

I've tried to use the Vanilla body and it just won't let me progress saying "No change has been applied." I think it's there to show the "improvements." And I would rather just go nude than use that stupid loving nighty .

Will that armor replace replace the Texture improvement stuff I've got already?

Ha! That'll show me for thinking anything reasonable about Nexus I never went past the selection screen.

Looking at the file the armor replacer only changes the texture map on the formal wear, the RobCo. Jumpsuit and Veronica's default outfit and I can't say how diffrent those are so you might only get some texture stretching.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The Sink would be so much more awesome if it had automatic inventory sorting and gear-bag-packing (like Survivalist Bunker). Looking at the Nexus I'm really surprised no one thought to do that instead of creating even more player houses.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
On review, it appears I most likely won't be uising TTW after all, since I spent several hours attempting and failing to install it. It appears the installer is really, really unstable and buggy, so it regularly fails to properly unpack and repack files for TTW. Since I've attempted every fix suggested, from running it as admin, to modifying properties, to installing alternative versions of libraries, I'm running out of patience. It doesn't really help that the failure occurs only after 10+ minutes of BSA file processing, so every fix is "change something, wait 10 minutes, rinse and repeat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

A cursory glance through the wiki hasn't revealed anything, so I'll try asking here - how do enemies scale exactly? I installed a level cap remover, so I can go up to 100, but I see people taking Logan's Loophole to avoid going over 30, and I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot here.

Also, I'd love to see a mod that allowed you to REDUCE the level cap. Something like 15, or 25. For a more frontloaded experience, I guess. Any ideas if there's anything like that, or how hard it would be to accomplish for a person with no modding experience?