Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matte Black
Sep 5, 2006
some guy
The Asimov's version is just the first part, there's much more to it in her short story collection (also called Shoggoths in Bloom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Matte Black posted:

The Asimov's version is just the first part, there's much more to it in her short story collection (also called Shoggoths in Bloom).

I was thinking so, it ends in a very strange place.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Soonmot posted:

Adventure Time #20 The adventure tome has lots of useful information.

Ooh! more from the same issue.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm rereading Locke and Key: Keys to the Kingdom tonight and I've found two things that made me laugh so far:
First, in issue 2, the list of residents of a psychiatric hospital includes G. Lee, A. Lifeson, and N. Peart. Joe Hill friggin' hates Rush.
Second, in issue 3, Ty's girlfriend channels Kitty Pryde for a panel:

Seriously, how did I see neither of these things the first time I went through this book?
edit: if you're not an X-Men geek, just GIS "Professor Xavier is a jerk" to see what it's referencing.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Or you could just post the image too, that works:

Edit: I forgot to post the issue, oops. Sorry, I don't read comics all that much.

Uncanny X-Men #168.

Thunderfinger fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 23, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Ooh! more from the same issue.

I also loved that part.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Thunderfinger posted:

This was the best part of the hilarious Google commercial that was Interns.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cable and X-Force #14

Dr Nemesis now has the voice of Sterling Archer in my head.

EDIT: I don't have a picture of it, since X-Men Legacy doesn't give you a free digital code (:argh:), but in the latest issue Legion wins the day by tapping into the power of BMO from Adventure Time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thunderfinger posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man #14

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

IUG posted:

Cable and X-Force #14

Dr Nemesis now has the voice of Sterling Archer in my head.

Great now I won't be able to think of it any other way.

vv That makes more sense thematically. But I don't know if I can stop it!

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 23, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Please. Nemesis is totally Krieger. In fact, it would not shock me at all if Nemesis had a crazy custom van.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
This is from Incredible Hulk #111, right at the climax of World War Hulk. Cool, sarcastic teen genius Amadeus Cho and his team of RENEGADES are trying to stop a demon named Zom, which Doctor Strange summoned to fight Hulk only to lose track of it. It possesses Iron Man's armor, is punched to death, and then:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I miss Kirby.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

I miss Kirby.

We really did not know Kirby. He was only in his first apperence and the WWH tie ins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

We really did not know Kirby. He was only in his first apperence and the WWH tie ins.
I miss Skrull-As-Kirby.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
From Avengers 386, by Harras, Kavanagh and Angel Medina. Somebody rudely interrupts Black Widow's de-briefing, but who could it be?

(Linked from my blog: full review here: http://thepouchfiles.blogspot.com/2013/09/review-avengers-386.html )

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Quicksilver's hair is really surprised

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
"All right everyone, I'm gonna need your best shocked Doc Brown face. And.....GO!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hercules without a beard is just sad looking.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The more I look at those two panels, the funnier it gets. Holy poo poo, all the money that Dreamworks could summon couldn't possibly render a better look of surprise as on Quicksilver's face.

(Okay, maybe take out whoever that purple lady is, she's like the only non-funny thing in that.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
From the day I read that issue I have thought that Cap's armor was badass and I will go to my grave thinking so.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hercules without a beard is just sad looking.

This is during his phase when he was the frontman for Aerosmith, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is that.... Angel Medina art?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Every time I see Cap I can't help but confuse his outfit with NFL Superpro's.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The 90's was beautiful and terrifying time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I see your Armor Captain America and I raise you Symbiote Armor Captain America.

Spectacular Spider-Man Super Special #1 (Planet of the Symbiotes #4)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

I see your Armor Captain America and I raise you Symbiote Armor Captain America.

Spectacular Spider-Man Super Special #1 (Planet of the Symbiotes #4)

I like how Black Bolt didn't reduce the human he's attacking to a few spare specks of dust. His powers don't even have anything to do with sonic waves.

Is Symbiote Cap ever even followed up on?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dude's got a sonic scream, just ask What If Spiderman Kept His Black Suit or whatever it was that ended up with Thor-Venom.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

laz0rbeak posted:

From Avengers 386, by Harras, Kavanagh and Angel Medina. Somebody rudely interrupts Black Widow's de-briefing, but who could it be?

(Linked from my blog: full review here: http://thepouchfiles.blogspot.com/2013/09/review-avengers-386.html )

Quicksilver straight up looks like The Noid

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

Is Symbiote Cap ever even followed up on?

Nah. Just the one panel. We did get 50-foot-Carnage, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Maltose posted:

Dude's got a sonic scream, just ask What If Spiderman Kept His Black Suit or whatever it was that ended up with Thor-Venom.

I'm positive I've read somewhere that it isn't actually sonic within the past week, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Gavok posted:

Nah. Just the one panel. We did get 50-foot-Carnage, though.

I can't tell if that makes up for it or is even worse.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I'm positive I've read somewhere that it isn't actually sonic within the past week, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I can't tell if that makes up for it or is even worse.

"An organic mechanism in his brain's speech center produces an unknown particle that interacts with ambient electrons, enabling him to produce certain mentally controlled phenomena. The most devastating of the effects is Black Bolt's quasi-sonic scream. Because his electron-harnessing ability is linked to the speech center of his brain, any attempt to use his vocal cords triggers an uncontrollable disturbance of the particle/electron interaction field. Because of this limitation, Black Bolt must be constantly vigilant of even the softest of utterances lest he destroy anything or anyone in its path. At full strength, his voice generates a shockwave equivalent to that of a nuclear weapon, while a whisper can rock a battleship."

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
That's dumb why can't he just be really loud.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

run DNC posted:

This way he gets badass lightning effects when powering up.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Avulsion posted:

This way he gets badass lightning effects when powering up.

The rub is that his super power prevents him from doing something we all take for granted. It is, like, pathos or something. No wonder Ann Nocenti ended up writing the inhumans miniseries.

Skipper Klemens
Nov 11, 2004

run DNC posted:

It needs an explanation for why it works in space, where sound would be a problem.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Hey, the full version of Shoggoths in Bloom is available as a podcast on Starship Sofa.

Source: Unknown. O'Neil's Batman, I think. I don't know the specifics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mimir posted:

Hey, the full version of Shoggoths in Bloom is available as a podcast on Starship Sofa.

Source: Unknown. O'Neil's Batman, I think. I don't know the specifics.

Brave and the Bold #102, written by Bob Haney, pencilled by Jim Aparo & Neal Adams and inked by Jim Aparo & Dick Giordano. Note that the second text box was originally in the next panel.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 24, 2013

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

laz0rbeak posted:

Man captain america has some really big balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Black Widow looks loving terrifying in that first picture. Super-gaunt, creepy dead eyes.

• Locked thread