Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sarkimedes posted:

Are Polish grocery stores particularly good for anything other than sauerkraut? There's a couple near me, and I'm wondering if they might be better than Aldi/Lidl for certain foods.

Anything pickled? Any kind of sausage? Perogies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Sarkimedes posted:

Are Polish grocery stores particularly good for anything other than sauerkraut? There's a couple near me, and I'm wondering if they might be better than Aldi/Lidl for certain foods.

The one where I live had very good bacon and sausages.
Especially polish raw sausages, those are the best thing that can happen to a stew.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm really hating how the recipes megathread finally fell off the board. Anyone have any good and cheap recipes that use ground turkey? We have 2lbs of it from the food pantry, and our bank accounts are at $0 for the next 2 days.

late to this party, but if you stock soy sauce and ginger/ginger powder, I'd make a ground turkey soboro with about 0.5 lbs (for 2 people), and eat it on rice. Normally, I'd use mirin in it, but a little extra sugar and some cooking wine will do fine too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sarkimedes posted:

Get some unsmoked, fresh kielbasa. That poo poo is so good I will eat it until it's all gone, doesn't matter how much is in front of me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is there a slow-cooker thread? I figure this could go in here.

I have a bunch of frozen chicken thighs/breasts/legs and I want to just throw them in a slow-cooker, bones and all, with some broth and other things like spicy things and make something I can pour over rice/pasta/a tortilla for when I get home and don't want to cook, which is often.

I have looked online for "bone-in" slow-cooker chicken recipes to no avail.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chinatown posted:

I have a bunch of frozen chicken thighs/breasts/legs and I want to just throw them in a slow-cooker, bones and all, with some broth and other things like spicy things and make something I can pour over rice/pasta/a tortilla for when I get home and don't want to cook, which is often.

There was. Must have gotten archived. Check the wiki for recipes for starters.

I've also made something adapted from this for my crockpot which was good:
http://www.tastespotting.com/features/crispy-braised-chicken-thighs-with-olive-lemon-and-fennel-from-ad-hoc-at-home-recipe-we-ate-olive-it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Don't put frozen things in a slow cooker, they take too long to get up to temp and can be dangerous.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Don't put frozen things in a slow cooker, they take too long to get up to temp and can be dangerous.

Oh yeah, I was going to thaw everything out first. I believe things should all be at the relatively same initial temperature when combined in the pot. Gracias.

GlyconsCat
Sep 4, 2013

Chinatown posted:

There's a super-simple Mexican chicken soup recipe I've been trying to find for you that I think is what you're kind of aiming at here. I've torn my house apart trying to find it to no avail because I wanted it for myself too, but in absence of my miraculously remembering where I saw it, maybe you can get the effect by frying down onions and peppers and slowly stewing the chicken in that plus broth and whatever seasonings seem relevant. I did something like a couple weeks ago in a cast-iron Dutch oven; I finished the stew by roasting it in the oven for a few hours at 275F. It came out with the meat melting off the bones and I feasted in lazy delight for days. I'd really suggest frying the onions/peppers first and the meat as well to caramelize it, but you probably don't absolutely have to do that. The nice thing about slow cookers is that you can do whatever you want and you'll come out with something generally edible. Smothered chicken also sounds like it'd do what you want (make a chicken-stuff you can pour over things or stuff into things).

ETA: Has anybody talked about making their own bread? I began doing that in response to being plunged into poverty, and it's saved me god knows how much money on groceries. I use a long-fermented recipe ("My Bread" - 12-16 hour rise, 4 ingredients, very forgiving) and put it to rise before I go to bed. A 10-pound sack of flour makes an awful lot of bread, and since it only uses like 1/4tsp of instant yeast and a smidge of salt, the loaf's other costs are negligible. Whatever I don't eat in time, I cut into cubes and freeze for stuffings (this bread makes absolutely perfect turkey stuffing), Mediterranean bread salads, and croutons later. It tastes every bit as good as artisan breads you buy for like $5 at the grocery store but I think the cost works out to like 75c/loaf.

GlyconsCat fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 24, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

GlyconsCat posted:

There's a super-simple Mexican chicken soup recipe I've been trying to find for you that I think is what you're kind of aiming at here. I've torn my house apart trying to find it to no avail because I wanted it for myself too, but in absence of my miraculously remembering where I saw it, maybe you can get the effect by frying down onions and peppers and slowly stewing the chicken in that plus broth and whatever seasonings seem relevant. I did something like a couple weeks ago in a cast-iron Dutch oven; I finished the stew by roasting it in the oven for a few hours at 275F. It came out with the meat melting off the bones and I feasted in lazy delight for days. I'd really suggest frying the onions/peppers first and the meat as well to caramelize it, but you probably don't absolutely have to do that. The nice thing about slow cookers is that you can do whatever you want and you'll come out with something generally edible. Smothered chicken also sounds like it'd do what you want (make a chicken-stuff you can pour over things or stuff into things).

Thanks. I have been looking at a number of chicken slow-cooker recipes and I think I will just kinda freestyle something with rice, chicken broth, and various veggies, peppers, and spices.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've found it's incredibly hard to gently caress up with a slow cooker, as long as you have very basic understanding of taste and flavours* then you'll be golden. I also cook chicken on the bone in there all the time, works fine and the meat just slides off the bone.

* As in knowing that mixing custard, all spice and mashed potatoes is a bad idea kind of levels.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

I have no idea about flavors. I bought a lot of the spices mentioned but have no idea how to mix/use most of them. Salt/pepper is easy. If I want some kick I usually just add cayenne to it. Past that making poo poo with this stuff without recipes is all greek to me. I usually only eat 1 meal a day, well 2 but breakfast is usually just oatmeal or a bagel if I remember to grab some when I am at the store. I also don't really get tired of the same food(hell I've been eating hotdogs, spaghetti, and chicken for the last who knows). I'm looking for slow cooker recipes or a guide to spice combos. Figure I'd just buy cheap meat throw it in the crockpot with spices and have enough for the week.

Secondly, this is more of a general question but is there a difference between a saucepan and a skillet? I found some cheap recipes that look decent and say to use both but I don't usually use stovetop stuff. I feel like an idiot for not knowing this stuff at 25.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CanUSayGym posted:

I have no idea about flavors. I bought a lot of the spices mentioned but have no idea how to mix/use most of them. Salt/pepper is easy. If I want some kick I usually just add cayenne to it. Past that making poo poo with this stuff without recipes is all greek to me. I usually only eat 1 meal a day, well 2 but breakfast is usually just oatmeal or a bagel if I remember to grab some when I am at the store. I also don't really get tired of the same food(hell I've been eating hotdogs, spaghetti, and chicken for the last who knows). I'm looking for slow cooker recipes or a guide to spice combos. Figure I'd just buy cheap meat throw it in the crockpot with spices and have enough for the week.
This cookbook does a good job of laying out various spice combos.

CanUSayGym posted:

Secondly, this is more of a general question but is there a difference between a saucepan and a skillet? I found some cheap recipes that look decent and say to use both but I don't usually use stovetop stuff. I feel like an idiot for not knowing this stuff at 25.
A sauce pan has high sides and it's used for boiling water and soups and cooking pasta and stuff. A skillet is flat with short sides and usually larger and it's for cooking meat or eggs or stir fries or whatever. Either works for most things although skillets are obviously pretty tough to use for large quantities of liquid and saucepans can be annoying if you need to flip whatever you are cooking.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

AceClown posted:

I've found it's incredibly hard to gently caress up with a slow cooker, as long as you have very basic understanding of taste and flavours* then you'll be golden. I also cook chicken on the bone in there all the time, works fine and the meat just slides off the bone.

* As in knowing that mixing custard, all spice and mashed potatoes is a bad idea kind of levels.

It's shocking easy to dry out things with a slow cooker though. If something says cook for 6-8 hours do it for 8 at the very most and then turn it off and eat it or freeze it; I thought that keeping it on Warm would be fine for a few more hours but it's dried the hell out of things in the past.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This might be extra easy and extra poor, but someone said they eat the same stuff over and over and I felt a kinship.

If you are poor and well and truly don't mind eating the same thing for days on end, here's what I've had for lunch 4 days a week for about a year now, just some super simple pintos.

Soak 3 cups of dry beans for 8 hours (during the day Sunday), then before bed drain and put in the slow cooker with a good-sized, whole piece of fatback (good-sized meaning four inches long, an inch wide and a half-inch thick). Add a few hearty shakes of salt, and a tablespoon of red-pepper flakes. Cover it all in an inch of water and cook it on low overnight. Fish out and discard the fatback in the morning and split into servings, keeping as much or as little liquid as you want. Alternately you can fish out about a cup of cooked beans, mash them up good, and mix them back in. Gives you a thicker meal, but it's a bit less appetizing looking.

Learn to make decent cornbread. There are a million ways to do it, but your big options are sweet (sugar to taste) vs spicy (a small tin of peppers out of your Mexican food section) and pure (all cornmeal) vs white (maybe 1/3 flour). Fix that up sometime Sunday night and put a couple of cornmuffins in a sandwich bag, so you can just grab them and roll out. Another good cornbread trick is to replace the milk in the ingredients with a can of creamed corn. Moistens it up and gives you little corn nuggs in there. Very classy.

Anyway, all that together makes for a tasty, filling meal that will feed you all week for about a buck (not counting tinned corn or peppers in your bread) and takes roughly 5 minutes of kitchen time total.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sarkimedes posted:

Horseradish cream. Pickled anything.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Chinatown posted:

I have a bunch of frozen chicken thighs/breasts/legs and I want to just throw them in a slow-cooker, bones and all, with some broth and other things like spicy things
Spicy things like.......

...salsa?....

:can:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It's in the OP http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2775050&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 :v:

The other more recent slow cooker thread seems to have vanished into the archives though. They always end up poo poo because of people putting chicken in them, so we can't have nice things I guess.
I use a slow cooker for sinewy, tough and cheap cuts of beef, pork and lamb that would take 2-3 hrs on the stove top or in the oven anyway, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I did a ragu and a massaman curry with chuck beef in the slow cooker this week, and may do chili or lamb shanks in it next week :colbert: Cheaper than running the stove top or oven anyway, as mine are ancient, inefficient and just plain poo poo.
e:But we can't have nice things because some people want to cook $2 cheap yellow megamart chickens in it without any prep or browning, using cream of mushroom soup and salsa etc, when it would be quicker to cook them on the stove or in the oven anyway.
So no one ever bother about a slow cooker thread again please.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 27, 2013

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone want to cook a whole chicken in a crock pot? I guess if you don't have access to an oven, but I think I'd rather just skip whole chickens until I had an oven anyway.

Oven Chicken

Pull out bag of giblets
Salt and pepper inside and outside (and whatever else, but these two for sure, feel free to just go crazy with a jug of Italian seasoning)
Truss it if you're feeling fancy but who cares
Put in a pan deep enough to catch an inch or two of fat (stainless steel fry/sauté pan is perfect)
425 degrees, 20 minutes a pound

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Crock pot chicken is fine, the reason to do it is so that it's ready when you come home

I've never had an issue with it, just shoved a ton of garlic under the skin, s+p, etc

edit: But yeh, the thread did kind of get bad when it turned into "the laziest possible food" instead of "good food in a slowcooker" or even "cheap food in a slowcooker"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Huxley posted:

Why would anyone want to cook a whole chicken in a crock pot? I guess if you don't have access to an oven, but I think I'd rather just skip whole chickens until I had an oven anyway.

There's nothing with a short-term braise or poach for chicken, what happens every time is that people start cooking it in a slow cooker for 8h and then it just turns to mush. Braised chicken legs that are then seared to crisp up the skin are awesome.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Huxley posted:

Oven Chicken

Pull out bag of giblets
Salt and pepper inside and outside (and whatever else, but these two for sure, feel free to just go crazy with a jug of Italian seasoning)
Truss it if you're feeling fancy but who cares
Put in a pan deep enough to catch an inch or two of fat (stainless steel fry/sauté pan is perfect)
425 degrees, 20 minutes a pound

Brine the chicken 8-12 h then do this. Just had one almost exactly like this last weekend and it was amazing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There's nothing with a short-term braise or poach for chicken, what happens every time is that people start cooking it in a slow cooker for 8h and then it just turns to mush. Braised chicken legs that are then seared to crisp up the skin are awesome.

OK, I apparently have some kind of slow cooker superpower because I've never had an issue at all.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Breaky posted:

Brine the chicken 8-12 h then do this. Just had one almost exactly like this last weekend and it was amazing.
How do you brine your chicken?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

edit: But yeh, the thread did kind of get bad when it turned into "the laziest possible food" instead of "good food in a slowcooker" or even "cheap food in a slowcooker"

I will admit, most of what I have to contribute revolves around doing things with low prep time and/or with very few ingredients, mostly because I prefer things to taste very simple and straightforward. So take my opinions with that grain of salt.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tonberrytoby posted:

How do you brine your chicken?

I did around 1 tbls of salt per cup of water and added just enough to completely cover the chicken in a stock pot. Tossed in a small handful of peppercorns then put the whole thing in the fridge for about 8h. I have read that you can add more salt if you brine for less time, but I have not personally tried this.

Took the chicken out, let drain on a rack in the sink for a few minutes then shook it and dried out the rest of the surface water with a paper towel, salted the inside, threw some bay and thyme into the cavity, brushed a little olive oil on the outside of the chicken, salt and pepper, placed into a deep skillet with a chopped onion and a few ribs of celery and baked at 425 for 20m per lb as directed above.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Huxley posted:

I will admit, most of what I have to contribute revolves around doing things with low prep time and/or with very few ingredients, mostly because I prefer things to taste very simple and straightforward. So take my opinions with that grain of salt.

There's nothing wrong with that, just seems odd to need so much processed food to make your own dinner.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There's nothing wrong with that, just seems odd to need so much processed food to make your own dinner.

I'm not sure what you mean by processed, unless you're talking about that other slow-cooker thread that devolved into laziness. I could imagine that going the way of, "just dump some chicken breasts in a crock with a block of velveta cheese and eat it straight out of the pot like a trough so you don't have to stop playing video games for even 2 seconds."

Pretty much everything I make for my family is ≤3 actual-food ingredients then spices, cooked in one step. Dino's dal is probably the most complicated thing I ever cook, and I always tend to forget one ingredient or another in that as it is (usually ginger).

I wasn't talking about Hungry Manning it or anything, just that anything I shared on this page is going to be real food cooked and spiced as simply as it can be, because that's what I enjoy and how I feed my family. Sorry for any confusion.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Huxley posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by processed, unless you're talking about that other slow-cooker thread that devolved into laziness. I could imagine that going the way of, "just dump some chicken breasts in a crock with a block of velveta cheese and eat it straight out of the pot like a trough so you don't have to stop playing video games for even 2 seconds."

Pretty much everything I make for my family is ≤3 actual-food ingredients then spices, cooked in one step. Dino's dal is probably the most complicated thing I ever cook, and I always tend to forget one ingredient or another in that as it is (usually ginger).

I wasn't talking about Hungry Manning it or anything, just that anything I shared on this page is going to be real food cooked and spiced as simply as it can be, because that's what I enjoy and how I feed my family. Sorry for any confusion.

It's fine, I look forward to getting more slow cooker recipes. I culled a few from that thread but a lot seemed to be the Velveeta situation you're talking about.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's fine, I look forward to getting more slow cooker recipes. I culled a few from that thread but a lot seemed to be the Velveeta situation you're talking about.

Now I'm trying to figure out if that would actually work or just scorch the cheese. You might have to cube it and add cream or something.

Please, nobody actually do this.

I made a loaf of bread one time in the crockpot. It's pretty perfect if you have 8 hours and hate crust.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Huxley posted:

Now I'm trying to figure out if that would actually work or just scorch the cheese. You might have to cube it and add cream or something.

Please, nobody actually do this.

I made a loaf of bread one time in the crockpot. It's pretty perfect if you have 8 hours and hate crust.

Post the recipe, that sounds interesting as hell

edit: Does this look good? http://blog.hostthetoast.com/rosemary-olive-oil-crock-pot-bread/

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 27, 2013

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Post the recipe, that sounds interesting as hell

As far as dough, I (obviously by now) went as simply as I could, using this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/

Then I followed this for the cooker:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-bread-in-the-slow-cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-192421

It took my cooker closer to 3 hours to cook the dough through and I skipped the broiler step. Without direct oven heat your crust turns out very light, almost nonexistent. I also remember it not having quite as much rise. The upside is it uses less power (and doesn't heat up your kitchen) and gives bread a totally different texture you may enjoy.

I haven't tried it again, but that's mostly because I prefer my bread not to require kneading.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I am aware that I may be asking too many things, but I'm not very picky, and any advice would do.
So I am poor and want to eat good food. I'm also a lazy student, so the easier to better (not saying I'll refuse to do things beyond a certain duration, but I just prefer it easy). Furthermore I only have access to a combo oven/microwave, and a fridge (no freezer), and a water cooker. Can you, all-mighty goons with spoons, give me some possibly useful recipes?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dunno your situation, but the best thing broke college student me did back in the day was getting a george forman grill.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Get a rice cooker from the salvation army, put rice and cheap meat and veggies in it, push button. You can put raw meat in it and it'll be cooked by the time the rice is done, so it's seriously the easiest way to make a decent meal.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Dunno your situation, but the best thing broke college student me did back in the day was getting a george forman grill.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Get a rice cooker from the salvation army, put rice and cheap meat and veggies in it, push button. You can put raw meat in it and it'll be cooked by the time the rice is done, so it's seriously the easiest way to make a decent meal.

These are both really good bits of advice. I don't know what a "water cooker" is, I'm assuming a hotpot?

My advice, if you have a plug somewhere where random people won't wander over and gently caress with it, is to get yourself a slow cooker. Even a small one can work wonders. In the most basic sense, take meat, season it, brown it on all sides in a pan real quick. Toss into slow cooker with veggies and more herbs and spices, turn on low. Go to class, come back 8 hours later, enjoy tons of amazing food that you can portion out into containers and store in the fridge for the next few days.

I'm going to be making some slow cooker chili either tomorrow or the day after. I'll try to do a write-up for it.

My other bit of advice is, along with a big bag of rice, keep some bags of dried beans handy. Soak a portion overnight(most bags also list a quick-soak method), drain, rinse, simmer in a pot for a while with salt, pepper, bay leaf, and a few other seasonings. Add to rice, or eat as a side. Very filling, high in protein and fiber.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

Okay this owns, thanks a lot.

neogeo0823 posted:

These are both really good bits of advice. I don't know what a "water cooker" is, I'm assuming a hotpot?

My advice, if you have a plug somewhere where random people won't wander over and gently caress with it, is to get yourself a slow cooker. Even a small one can work wonders. In the most basic sense, take meat, season it, brown it on all sides in a pan real quick. Toss into slow cooker with veggies and more herbs and spices, turn on low. Go to class, come back 8 hours later, enjoy tons of amazing food that you can portion out into containers and store in the fridge for the next few days.

I'm going to be making some slow cooker chili either tomorrow or the day after. I'll try to do a write-up for it.

My other bit of advice is, along with a big bag of rice, keep some bags of dried beans handy. Soak a portion overnight(most bags also list a quick-soak method), drain, rinse, simmer in a pot for a while with salt, pepper, bay leaf, and a few other seasonings. Add to rice, or eat as a side. Very filling, high in protein and fiber.

No, what I mean with water cooker is a thing with a heating element in it, where you put water in, push button, wait 5 minutes, and then pour hot water out. I use it to make tea.

And I don't have access to a stove, so a slow-cooker isn't an option unfortunately. Thanks tho!

Edit: oh wait a slow-cooker is stand-alone. The browning the meat in a pan isn't an option tho. Could I do without?

Dancer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 27, 2013

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Dancer posted:

Okay this owns, thanks a lot.

No, what I mean with water cooker is a thing with a heating element in it, where you put water in, push button, wait 5 minutes, and then pour hot water out. I use it to make tea.

And I don't have access to a stove, so a slow-cooker isn't an option unfortunately. Thanks tho!

Edit: oh wait a slow-cooker is stand-alone. The browning the meat in a pan isn't an option tho. Could I do without?

Slow cookers are their own thing, they plug in and don't need another heating source. Also known as crock pots. [EDIT] Oh, you got that. Yeah, the browning isn't essential, just makes it taste better.

If you get a rice cooker, getting one that pressure cooks too will open up a lot more things you can cook with. Even the plain rice cooker has a lot of uses though, Ebert loved them: http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/the-pot-and-how-to-use-it You can probably find a lot more recipes online that use rice cookers to make things other than rice.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dancer posted:

Oh, I get it. I'm guessing you're in a dorm and literally only have access to a microwave, mini fridge, and water heater. Ok then. As you've figured out, the slow cooker advice still stands. Definitely get yourself a George Forman grill. Also look into trying to find a small electric stove, if your dorm allows it. That, a medium sauce pot, and a nice big skillet should cover all your basic cooking needs. It won't be ideal, but you can get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Dancer posted:

I am aware that I may be asking too many things, but I'm not very picky, and any advice would do.
So I am poor and want to eat good food. I'm also a lazy student, so the easier to better (not saying I'll refuse to do things beyond a certain duration, but I just prefer it easy). Furthermore I only have access to a combo oven/microwave, and a fridge (no freezer), and a water cooker. Can you, all-mighty goons with spoons, give me some possibly useful recipes?
I used to have only a combo-oven instead of a real oven until a bit ago. I am assuming that you mean you have microwave with a weakly normal oven build in.
Made lots of casserole, works well in this kind of thing.

Put something starchy, something meaty and shredded cheese in a casserole pot. Traditionally (dry) noodles and ham and mozzarella.
Drop on some spices. Salt, pepper, paprika and umani is my favorite combo here.
Pour over enough cream and water to cover the ingredients. 2:1 mixing ration, but you might want to change it if you subbed something for the noodles.
Stir enough to distribute the spices, then cover with more cheese.
Put in your oven-combi thing then bake for about 30-45 minutes at around 180°C.