Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Picked up my new Siamese kitten from the breeder yesterday!

We named him Siderus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Dang, what a beauty. :3: I would love a siamese cat, but I hear they're both needy and noisy and having a cat will probably clash with my plan to eventually keep birds. :(

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
So a week and a half ago I was riding my bike through campus to the bookstore and I saw a little lump of animal in the middle of a busy turning lane. I stopped to check on it and it turned out to be a 5ish week old kitten!

When I walked up to him I dreaded that he had been hit by a car or something, but when I picked him up he was just a scared, uninjured little kitten. I didnt see a momma cat or any other animals anywhere around either. I called my girlfriend and asked what I should do and she said "... Stay there I'll bring the car."

Since then, we have taken him to the vet, who told us he seems perfectly healthy! No intestinal parasites or anything, which is a huge relief.

His name is Oliver :3: He is super awesome and playful and friendly and loves to sleep curled up against us in bed and is basically the cutest kitten ever.

e: Bonus picture because I don't have any real cat questions and just want to show off this adorable kitty.

Bone fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 22, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What a lucky lil fella. Glad you were able to save him let alone get him a new home :3:

Also I think Cooper is more jealous then territorial regarding this new kitten of mine, he keeps walking in and crying for attention, soon as he realizes I'm not following him he comes crying back.

Only downside is my hands smell like Sam (the kitten) so he hisses and very VERY lightly bites at my hands. Dudes dumb as hell though, he keeps hissing and growling while playing so he has this big dumb smile on his face as he flips around yowling and cuddling.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 22, 2013

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I just moved into a new apartment complex and found out that pets are only allowed for residents that have been grandfathered in (only small caged pets are allowed). My cat is now staying with my mom who has no problem taking care of her, but I miss her and I don't want to dump my little Squeaks on my mother for an indefinite amount of time. I wish I had found an apartment that allows pets but I had to find an affordable apartment quickly and all the cat friendly complexes were in bad neighborhoods.

The thing is, my cat has partial vision in one eye and having her around has really helped elevate my mood and decrease my stress levels and anxiety (grad school) as dumb as that may sound. I don't have a counselor to back that up, but I'm wondering if I could talk to a counselor at school to help vouch for the situation with the HOA. Do any of you have any experience getting around a no pet policy (especially for a medical/mental health reason)? Again the complex isn't completely against pets and since she's female and spayed, and barely vocal, she shouldn't cause any problems. There's also no carpeting and she doesn't bolt for the door ever, rather away.

If I tried to sneak her in and they found out, I'd be fined but not kicked out, but I don't know if that's a wise course of action.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Since this thread has been handy I figured I should post the cats me and my roommate adopted from the local humane society this week.

Babou

P9210087.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Woodhouse

P9210095.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

We've had them for a few days now, and it's been going pretty well.

:3:

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Ahahahaha. Perfect cat combo names. Did you or the shelter name them?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

He remembers me!

Congrats on the new kitties everyone! :kimchi:

skyydude
Sep 26, 2010

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Picked up my new Siamese kitten from the breeder yesterday!

We named him Siderus.

And I thought my colorpoint shorthair mutt was vocal/needy enough...hat's off to you for getting a full-up Siamese! They're awesome cats.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What a lucky lil fella. Glad you were able to save him let alone get him a new home :3:

Yeah, I'm really happy I found him before he got hurt! He is the bestest kitten ever and the only downside is that he is a little ball of endless energy that loves to attack anything that moves, but at least that means that he's just a normal healthy kitten. :3: Also holy crap, kittens grow fast!

More pictures of Oliver:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
So, my family's cat, who we've had since I was 10, got really sick on Friday and had to be put down last night. I wasn't able to be there, since I'm in college, but I can't help but wonder if there was anything I could have done, even though I know I couldn't. How have all of you coped in the past? Does spending time around other cats help?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

BearDrivingTruck posted:

So, my family's cat, who we've had since I was 10, got really sick on Friday and had to be put down last night. I wasn't able to be there, since I'm in college, but I can't help but wonder if there was anything I could have done, even though I know I couldn't. How have all of you coped in the past? Does spending time around other cats help?

I'm sorry to hear that but it's a cruel fact of life that we outlive our pets by many multiples. It's these sudden deaths (sickness or accidental) of younger pets that hurt me personally the most but you can always comfort yourself that you contributed to his/her happy life. 10 isn't ancient sure but it's a decent span, he or she had a good life cared for by people who enjoyed having the cat around right? Remember the bright moments, the fun parts and try not to dwell too much on 'what if' or 'could we have done'.

And yes, having other cats has helped me in the past but then again, they also mourn (or at least miss the one who's gone) which can be quite heartbreaking to see and hear.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Ratzap posted:

I'm sorry to hear that but it's a cruel fact of life that we outlive our pets by many multiples. It's these sudden deaths (sickness or accidental) of younger pets that hurt me personally the most but you can always comfort yourself that you contributed to his/her happy life. 10 isn't ancient sure but it's a decent span, he or she had a good life cared for by people who enjoyed having the cat around right? Remember the bright moments, the fun parts and try not to dwell too much on 'what if' or 'could we have done'.

And yes, having other cats has helped me in the past but then again, they also mourn (or at least miss the one who's gone) which can be quite heartbreaking to see and hear.

Well, she was the only cat we had. What I meant by my last question was something along the lines of me seeking out other cats to be around (like going to a shelter and spending time with the cats there).

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Just got a new 2nd cat, a 6 month old black beauty!

He's been home for 1 week.

First time in many years my household has only my grown cat and no roommates with other animals and my wife has wanted her own baby for awhile so we adopted this guy from a rescue, somehow he was the last of his litter and he's a purring soft cuddle pile:

We're in love with him already, introducing him has gone surprisingly smoothly and just wondering if there's anything else I can do to make things smoother. The new baby is curious, introduced himself out of quarantine and met our dog before we planned, that went well too.

Kitten marks the dog, accepts licks to his face, and steals his bed and crate. Dog don't care.

There's been no hissing, scratching, bottlebrush tails or anything. They slowly smelled each other under doors after about a week they saw each other through glass, they meowed at each other. Then they sniffed through a baby gate, and now they jump over the gate to explore each other's 'areas'.
Been giving them their meals across the baby gate from each other, kitten is voracious, older cat won't eat near him yet. Smells him, walks around him then walks away.

They're both male, neutered. My older cat was raised with another kitten who since was rehomed because he was an unhappy adult cat in our previous 4 cat household. They were friends when they were kittens, though not littermates, but as adults they fought a lot. He has lived with two burmese cats in the past he loved to cuddle with.
They basically each have the front of the house and back of the house respectively, our older cat is used to sleeping with us so that has not changed, kitten sleeps in his back bathroom for now.

So for now I'm going to let them have free reign of the house, and get used to each other. Keep feeding them near each other, offer them each separate bed and litter areas but let them choose what to do. Just wanted to know if I'm doing anything wrong or could do anything better. Thanks pet goons!

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 22, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

aghastly posted:

Just an update on this. I took the advice of making a really loud noise by the door whenever I leave/return to discourage Toast from trying to run toward the door, but after two days he sort of solved the problem by himself.

I was moving the vacuum cleaner to my office to use it, plugged it in and promptly got distracted with another chore. It has a foot pedal near the bottom of the vacuum to turn it on, and Toast, being curious, tried to climb it and accidentally turned it on, scaring the piss out of both himself and me. I have honestly never seen him run so fast in my life.

So I put the vacuum cleaner by the front door and now he won't go within a yard of it.

:downs:

This is how I keep my cat off the kitchen counters. Hand vacuum. Its the only thing I have ever seen her growl/hiss at.

For the door.. well... when my kitten was 7 months she kept trying to dart out the front door. (I let her out the door next to it, onto the porch. So she didn't really understand the difference between the two.) And then one day I was coming inside, and didn't see her anywhere in sight. So I pushed the door behind me, and I guess she was in the corner and bolted out and the door smacked her in the head. She was fine, but she has never again tried to run out the front door. :psyduck:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DressCodeBlue posted:

Ahahahaha. Perfect cat combo names. Did you or the shelter name them?

Their shelter names were sammie and shadow, and neither me or my roommate really cared for those at all.

They're keeping each other busy at least

P9220128.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

JustJeff88 posted:

From my own observations as a lad in England and now a surly adult in North America (which has been corroborated by people in this thread), indoor/outdoor "hybrid" cats seem a lot more common in the UK than in the US/Canada. Not quite sure why, but I grew up on a typical street in a typical English town, and everyone who had a house had a nice little garden that was perfect for cat play and cat hygiene, so putting the cat out for the night or letting him go into the garden to eliminate was just the way of things. I keep my two inside at all times for various reasons and they have not shown *any* desire to go outside since I adopted them as ferals, and so far so good. Not sure what is done in other places, but I imagine that being urban/rural has a lot to do with it.

This is my experiences too, but only from reading this thread and a couple cats for dummies books.
Here in Norway, most hybrid cats roam outside all day and all night, usually whenever they want. Not so much when it's snow and freezing, but I still see the occasional cats playing around in 1 meter snow when I go to work.

My sister's cat lived with us for some time this Winter and she hadn't really been outside much since my sister got her last Autumn, but during Winter, we really had a hard time not letting her go outside, even if there were loads of snow and the temperature had dropped to -20 Celsius. My sister told us to let her out, but my mother was scared that a fox would take her, and they got into a quarrel about it. My mother just wanted the cat to cuddle with her (the cat did NOT want that, of course), and my sister wanted to train her survival skills so that she could fight back if a nasty, old cat came and wanted trouble. My sister won that one, and the cat's been perfectly healthy living with us right next to the forest. Always going around teasing the neighbourhood dogs and killing mice and birds. Then she moved back with my sister and in to the city and she's out there too. Either frolicking on the lawn chasing birds or hiding from the sun under the porch.

It wasn't until I started lurking in this thread that I discovered that this is very different in the US than it is here. Heck, even one of my bosses, who had outdoor cats for years, had them roaming around in the city when she moved there. One of them survived till he was 14, after moving to the city at the ripe age of 1. Apparently, he died of diabetics, since he found an old lady in the neighbourhood that always overfed him unhealthy treats and food, the others survived till she moved back to the country side where they died of old age. Presumably happy.

But I take it even a big city in Norway isn't the same as anything in the US …

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Hey everyone!

I'm hoping to take in a cat some time in the near future that my sister's taking care of right now and I'm very strongly considering getting another one to keep her company during the day (my brother's technically home during the day, but he's asleep for a lot of it since he works nights). I've never had to take care of two cats, though, so I was wondering if I could get some advice about it. I'm not too worried about acclimating them to each other, but I was wondering about stuff like litter boxes. Should I get two litter boxes or one big one? Assuming they would use the same one, would it still make sense to have two to begin with, before they get used to each other? I'm sure they'd need separate food dishes, but what about water?

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to cheap out on anything, it's just that finding a decent spot for one litter box and set of dishes was challenging enough (my laundry room is basically a closet just big enough to fit a washer and dryer in) and if I can avoid doubling up on everything, it'd make it way easier to get a second cat.

Any advice is appreciated!

To grease the wheels a bit, here are some bonus pictures of the cat I'll be taking in:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
At least get two but best is one more box than you have cats (so in this case, three boxes).

Edit: gently caress phone posting

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 23, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

jellycat posted:

I'm not too worried about acclimating them to each other, but I was wondering about stuff like litter boxes. Should I get two litter boxes or one big one?

I'd definitely recommend at least two litter boxes. We have two cats and sometimes they just gotta go at the same time, and it's just peace of mind to know that one of them won't go crap on the carpet just because the litter box is in use.

Also, fuzzle that belly, smoosh that cat, take pictures, post.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'll preface this by saying it's 5am and that the little rear end in a top hat has been keeping me up so this probably isn't the best time, but righteous indignation is the best fuel for me to type a bunch.

My roommate's cat is an rear end in a top hat. He's neutered, 5-6 months old, indoors (condo), and there's one other older cat living here (she's about 3, I think). On a rainy day back in May I heard some sad yowling out in the street in front of our condo. It was depressing, so I look over the balcony to see what the deal was. I see a little orange lump wandering around like an aimless idiot, so I wander out to take a closer look. There is, of course, this kitten. I figure "well, Atlanta is completely overrun with stray cats and I know that all the shelters are full, that I don't have any friends willing to adopt, and that the last cat to try and live with my roommate's current cat was mercilessly attacked 24/7. Plus he probably has fleas and cat AIDS and poo poo." So, callous individual that I am, I decide that I'll just give him a bit of wet food and water and hope that maybe some other sucker would take him in. My mistake was made when I started to get together the food and my roommate's girlfriend asked what I was up to. I responded truthfully without thinking and she was out of the door about the time I finished the sentence. I barely made it off the stairs before running into her one the way back up, cradling the little butthole. My roommate tells her it's her problem and that it can't stay with him, so she takes it home for the night to clean him up.

Fast forward a few weeks later. Surprising absolutely no one, after no shelters would take the kitten and no friends would adopt, my roommate's icy heart melts and he agrees to try and get his current cat to not murder the new one. Given that his bedroom/bathroom/closet are the older cat's domain, the single remaining enclosed space is my bathroom. I'm not thrilled at this prospect, but I'm good friends with my roommate so I'm willing to make certain accommodations. In preparation, two new litterboxes are purchased along with a bunch of compressed air and enzymatic cleaner.

Acclimation goes by the book and is mostly successful. The older cat won't attack the kitten on sight any more and they even manage to roughhouse without being too violent. We more or less got the kitten to stop chewing on wires and to not bite/scratch too hard while playing. He sort of understands what is and isn't a toy/scratching post. But here's the predictable problem, which I'm going to bold for all the people skimming over this post:

pee

pee

loving cat piss goddamn I hate that little poo poo

He does and has done it in four main places: on my bath mat, behind the TV, on the couch, and my drat bed. The bath mat was relatively simple to fix, though it annoys me that I have to do it - I just balance it on top of my shower curtain. I can't get too up in arms about that one; it's right next to the litter box and it's soft and he's a goddamn retard. Behind the TV seems to have stopped on its own. For a month or two we just spritzed/sprayed/scruffed/sequestered him every time he got back there. We tried tin foil, but he thinks that stuff is great. Same with tape. I personally think he stopped because he's realized that the litter box is preferable to wood floor, but not as good as a couch or a bed. So those are the only three places he pees now.

I should mention that he still lives in my bathroom because of the pee issue. At night and if nobody's at home, he's in the bathroom since there's nothing he thinks is fun to pee on other than his box and my bath mat, which he can't get to. My bed was the first thing he peed on, the couch didn't start getting hit until months later. I even caught him in the act of peeing on my bed a few times early on, which is part of the thing that baffles me as a guy who grew up with dogs. When I first caught him peeing on my bed, I immediately grabbed his scruff, blew in his face, dropped him on top of his box, then closed him in the bathroom (I think the isolation when he knows people are awake and doing things is the part he hates the most, honestly). All while making lots of angry noises. It's by far the strongest response I've had to him misbehaving and I've done it to him for peeing on my bed at least three times. What kind of mildly intelligent animal can't figure out what caused his punishments? I don't get it. I'll come back to this topic later.

So he's banned from my bed. This doesn't stop him from constantly trying to get on it, of course, because he's an idiot shithead. I catch him doing it several times a day, to which I respond by scruffing and kicking him out of the room. He hates it. He still jumps on the drat thing all the time. For the record, I clean my bed meticulously after every pee incident, including enzyme spray on the mattress and the mattress cover, which also gets washed before the enzyme spray. I just wash the sheets and comforter normally.

Did I mention that he's also incredibly fluffy and adorable? He's some kind of medium hair or something. He's also docile as hell. It's completely absurd; this cat will let you do anything to him. Grab him, flip him around, rub your face all over him, he doesn't care. He'll just keep purring like a maniac and won't even attempt to bite or scratch you. He'll just squirm around and make stupid cat noises when he wants you to stop doing something. If he gets poop stuck to his butt hair like the moron he is, I can give him a bath and all he'll do is weakly struggle now and then. He would be the perfect cat if not for his inability to learn. This makes it a true test of will to dislike him. He'd be on the curb if he wasn't so relentlessly loveable.

So I've established that he pees on things and has to sleep in the bathroom as a result. This bathroom is adjacent to my bedroom. He hates being alone in the bathroom so he will do things like reach under the door and destroy the carpet in my room. He'll never stop doing it. I've disciplined him hundreds of times for doing things like that but it never sticks. I lied earlier when I said that the main problem is the peeing; that's merely a symptom. What do you do about a cat that refuses to learn? He loves tin foil and tape and I'm beginning to suspect that he thinks being held by his scruff is fun and that having his face blown on is just extra loving. He seems pretty ok with getting wet or being spritzed. Loud noises only make him more active. He'll get swatted for hours when the older cat doesn't want to play any more but he'll happily run back for another beating from her so I doubt that would work either. All I need is for him to not pee outside the litter boxes. I can live with his other flaws. Why can't he learn?

why, cat. why

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Well I figured I'd post an update on the pair of meezers we adopted 3.5 weeks ago now. When we got them they were terrified little bundles of woe. They have done amazingly in just a few weeks, going from hiding 24/7 to struttin', talkin' and mischief makin'. We still have a few issues with the little guy - he goes back into fear mode around guests, he won't really play with anything except his treat ball and the vet says one of his toes may need amputation. But yeah the two of them are happy and so are we. :3:

So yeah this was a big ol excuse for pic spam.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
First of all, he is loving adorable and I would be mad jelly bro if he wasn't such a little scumbag (I still am mad jelly bro).

I dunno if you just said this for the lulz or if your roomie's cat really does have FIV, but if so your new cat may have already contracted it so you should get him tested at the vet so it can be managed.

Because he likes to piss on your poo poo, you have to be a jerk and not let him near it when he's not supervised. Let him hang out on your bed when you're there, but shut your door and keep him out when you leave it. He's a boy cat and boy cats are clingy losers, and he's pissing on your stuff because he wants to make sure that everyone knows that he owns you. Don't let him in your room alone until you have established with him that you love him and he is your pal and you don't need him to piss on your stuff. Shut your bedroom door you dumb nerd.

The blowing in his face and making noise thing would work if you hadn't caught him in the act of peeing. It's really hard to stop pissing midstream. Being with him the entire time in your room instead of leaving him in there alone and walking in on his shame are different, because when he gets the pissing look you can say 'AH!' and cart him off to the litter box. As it stands now you've basically made a game of him sneaking into your room and you kicking him out, which is why he keeps doing in.

Similar thing with locking him in the bathroom. It's random and it lasts for too long, because you inevitably just let him out again to hang out and then he pisses on your poo poo and getting out of jail is a random reward for nothing. If he's pissing everywhere all the time he needs to go to the vet because that's just wrong, but if he has favourite places to piss you either need to put a litter box there and slowly move it to where you want him to eliminate, or supervise him whenever he is in that place or close it off to him when you can't supervise him. You can't lock him away at night and then pray he won't be a shithead all day, that's not how cats work. They are shitheads all the time, and you need to manipulate them into being tolerable shitheads.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 23, 2013

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
TEDDY UPDATE!

The vet sent us home with some antibiotics and she still didn't start eating again until yesterday, when I broke and opened a can of people tuna because I just wanted her to loving eat something, because she wasn't even going for BBQ chicken after the first day, so she hadn't eaten for two days, and hadn't eaten more than a few grams of chicken breast in four days. She's been eating tuna for the past 36 hours (I'd been putting little bits out for her every few hours like a newborn because I am cray, and when I had to go to work I was mad frettin) and she has energy back and has started randomly purring and trolling again, which rules.

I bought digestive health kibble from the vet and she hasn't really touched it yet (because the moll has had TUNA), but now that she's almost back to normal I'll just be leaving her the vet kibble and bringing out a tiny amount of rad treat in the evening, because she's used to getting fresh meat at that time.

If anyone has access to that cat food recipe I'd still love to have it, but I'm much less stressed out than I was last week. As usual, Teddy lives to troll another day.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 23, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Update: New 6-month old kitten wants to play with older cat and not sleep at bedtime, but eventually he slept under our bed all night and they didn't get in fights when he wanted to play, older cat just walks off.
I guess that's about as smooth as one can hope for!

Here's some pics so he doesn't die of new kitten disease or whatever

He steals the dogs beds often

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Thanks to the people who answered my question about multiple cats/litter boxes! I guess I'll worry about the one cat for now and figure out what to do about a second afterwards. It'll probably be a while before I do take her in, but I'll post some pictures when I do!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well I have an interesting cat problem. My fiancee moved to The Netherlands for graduate school and we settled into her new apartment. We noticed there was a very friendly cat outside that we would pet when we went by and give attention to. Well we noticed this cat was ALWAYS outside, rain or shine there she was. We also witnessed her feeding pattern which was basically to beg food out of the fish vendor across the street. Well we were suckered into feeding this cat and in doing so we basically adopted her. She learned where we lived and would just wait outside our apartment to ambush us, or to rush inside and claim it as her territory. We are in this little house with three floors with a different apartment on each floor. We would wake up and find this cat meowing at our INSIDE door. She would wait outside and one of the other tenets would open the door to the outside and this cat would rush in and camp at our apartment door meowing until we would find her. Well we did the right thing and called the local no kill shelter to take her since this cat was obviously a stray cat.

Well it turns out that this cat wasn't a stray. She had no collar and no electronic tag. But about a week after committing this cat we got a call from the shelter. This was someones cat, they lived around our apartment, and they picked up the cat. That was that. Except after a week of constant rain the cat showed up again. It is now back inside our apartment chilling with us. We really like this cat, its really sweet and very friendly, but we know for sure she has an owner. How lovely is this cat owner that feeding this cat once and it basically adopted us. If we don't kick this cat out occasionally it would live here forever likely. What is to be done about this cat?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Goodpancakes posted:

Well it turns out that this cat wasn't a stray. She had no collar and no electronic tag. But about a week after committing this cat we got a call from the shelter. This was someones cat, they lived around our apartment, and they picked up the cat. That was that. Except after a week of constant rain the cat showed up again. It is now back inside our apartment chilling with us. We really like this cat, its really sweet and very friendly, but we know for sure she has an owner. How lovely is this cat owner that feeding this cat once and it basically adopted us. If we don't kick this cat out occasionally it would live here forever likely. What is to be done about this cat?

This is very cat behaviour. We get them in all the time from concerned people who have been feeding a cat in their garden or that comes into their homes. All very laudable and good so far but they are much loved pets who just happen to enjoy company/food so much they have a 'round' in the area they live in.

So the answer is you'll need to go round and find out for yourselves. The cat may not be happy there (children, new other pets and many things will drive a cat out), may not be cared for or it could be a loved and pampered pet who just likes to scrounge off anyone kind enough to feed it.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
After spending 12 years raising two dogs, I've been fostering cats for the humane society this year to have an animal around(apt building doesn't allow dogs). After 12 cats, though, I've become a foster failure.
His name is Tullio Catpagnolo

Things have been going well, he just has a slight obsession with attacking long hair. Also, he managed to get stuck behind the kitchen sink counter at 5am this morning, little bastard won't stop finding cracks to sneak into!

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
My cat clawed me real hardcore on his walk today.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I went to the vet and asked him about pesticide stuff. He said the diatomaceous earth killed tics, so it sounds like it'd be ok to sprinkle some around the house. I had a hell of a time getting my cat into her carrier though, I had to chase the poor think around the house for like 15 minutes and had to kind of force her into it. She peed in the carrier too. I felt really bad about it, hopefully I didn't hurt her. Here's some pictures:

I guess tortoiseshells have a reputation for being obnoxious or something, but she's been very well behaved. Other than the carrier incident but that's probably mostly me for not just getting it over with. At least she doesn't hold a grudge against me for the whole thing.

And do some cats not like treats? I've bought her 2 types and she didn't really like either of them. I got her some "Blue" tuna chewy bites (just sniffs them and moves on) and some freeze dried chicken pieces (sniffs them and moves on). Is there anything that's different from those 2 types? Or is it the meat type?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Eeyo posted:

And do some cats not like treats? I've bought her 2 types and she didn't really like either of them. I got her some "Blue" tuna chewy bites (just sniffs them and moves on) and some freeze dried chicken pieces (sniffs them and moves on). Is there anything that's different from those 2 types? Or is it the meat type?
My cat likes one type of treat, mostly. A lot of them he'll try to bury, especially if they're moist at all. He also gives no shits about catnip.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A coworker of mine has a litter of kittens that are around 3 months old. I've been thinking about getting myself a cat and he doesn't want them hanging around his farm all their lives.

My neighborhood is a bit hostile, so I was thinking about turning any kitten/cat I get into an indoor cat. As far as I know, there probably hasn't been any sort of vaccinations done and they surely aren't spayed/neutered. They've been eating Purina Cat Chow, which according to the Pet Nutrition Thread, isn't all that good for them. They also aren't litter trained.

The thread recommends getting two kittens if you're getting a kitten. I'm not sure if I want to go this route since I'm available during all hours of the day as I only work nights (11pm to 7am) and otherwise will be home most of the day. It will also make it easier to manage health issues and moving across the country next year. I raised a cat from 6 months old until it reached a modest 16 years old a couple years ago so I'm a bit reserved about the necessity of getting an extra cat.

If I were to adopt one of these kittens, what all am I going to need to keep it in a good condition? I've got a makeshift list of things I'll probably need but it's probably not complete or even accurate for a kitten.

Litterbox, Litter
Food Bowls, Food(?)
Toys
Towels and pen walls (?) (until the cat is properly litter trained)
Non-toxic stain remover (cleaning up messes until litter trained)
Cat Carrier
Vaccinations of some sort? (what do these cost to get done?)
Spay/Neuter around/before 6 months of age

Edit: After thinking about it, I think I'll just hold off until I move across the country this Spring and adopt one from a shelter that has already has it's vaccinations/neutering.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 25, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Fruity Gordo posted:

First of all, he is loving adorable and I would be mad jelly bro if he wasn't such a little scumbag (I still am mad jelly bro).

I dunno if you just said this for the lulz or if your roomie's cat really does have FIV, but if so your new cat may have already contracted it so you should get him tested at the vet so it can be managed.

Because he likes to piss on your poo poo, you have to be a jerk and not let him near it when he's not supervised. Let him hang out on your bed when you're there, but shut your door and keep him out when you leave it. He's a boy cat and boy cats are clingy losers, and he's pissing on your stuff because he wants to make sure that everyone knows that he owns you. Don't let him in your room alone until you have established with him that you love him and he is your pal and you don't need him to piss on your stuff. Shut your bedroom door you dumb nerd.

The blowing in his face and making noise thing would work if you hadn't caught him in the act of peeing. It's really hard to stop pissing midstream. Being with him the entire time in your room instead of leaving him in there alone and walking in on his shame are different, because when he gets the pissing look you can say 'AH!' and cart him off to the litter box. As it stands now you've basically made a game of him sneaking into your room and you kicking him out, which is why he keeps doing in.

Similar thing with locking him in the bathroom. It's random and it lasts for too long, because you inevitably just let him out again to hang out and then he pisses on your poo poo and getting out of jail is a random reward for nothing. If he's pissing everywhere all the time he needs to go to the vet because that's just wrong, but if he has favourite places to piss you either need to put a litter box there and slowly move it to where you want him to eliminate, or supervise him whenever he is in that place or close it off to him when you can't supervise him. You can't lock him away at night and then pray he won't be a shithead all day, that's not how cats work. They are shitheads all the time, and you need to manipulate them into being tolerable shitheads.

Oh yeah, he got the full vet workup before he was allowed in the condo, so he was all clear on diseases and parasites and whatever. But insulting him is one of the few ways I can get my revenge on him since he can't talk.

I also (almost) never leave my bed unattended. It's a foot or two directly behind me when I'm at the computer and I spend most of my time here while at home. But sometimes he manages to ninja up there without me noticing. Usually it's not even to pee but just to run across it to the window or something (he can get up there without going over the bed but chooses to do so anyway), but on rare occasion I'll notice a damp spot or smell it. I only caught him once or twice when he was young, but are you really telling me that catching him doing something and immediately punishing him for it will have little/no effect? If so then cats are even worse than I thought. For the record, he's only managed to pee on my bed 5 or 6 times. I started keeping a constant vigil after the first couple times.

The game thing explains a lot of his behavior, like when I wrote that previous post. Several days ago my roommate put down tape over the edges of the carpet he likes to tear up. He generally does this by reaching under the door from the bathroom but will sometimes do it right in front of me while the door is open. I told my roommate that this would only entice the cat, but he did it anyway. So all night the cat is playing with the tape and generally being a loud annoying dickhat. I must have gone in there 50 times to scruff and blow on him, but he'd be right back at it seconds after I left. He finally won when I just tore up the tape. I just don't know what to do with an animal that doesn't respond to discomfort.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
OK so I'm sure this problem has probably been encountered before but there are 313 pages and drat; aint nobody got time for that.

The skinny: we got a cat. We planned on getting a cat. It wasn't a stupid impulse we just weren't searching for a cat though we were "waiting for one to find us". Finally one did. She's about 6 months and very sweet. We've had her about a month, taken her to the vet. Healthy happy kitty. We'll have her spayed when my husband gets his next bonus (less than a month)

Of course there have been a few problem's. She likes to scratch of course but I didn't want to declaw her so we have about 5 different scratching alternatives for her crammed into our tiny 2 br apt. Problem solved.

She likes to jump on the kitchen counters but we've been working on that with spray bottles and penny cans.

Now here's the deal breaker. She has peed outside f the litter box 2-3 times. 1-2 times in my children's room, and last night ON MY FRIGGING COUCH!

Flat out. This problem needs to be fixed or the cat is going to be taking to the humane society. I feel bad but there you have it. Any suggestions? I really don't want to be THAT person so I'm willing to try but she's seriously got three feet out the door here!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

I only caught him once or twice when he was young, but are you really telling me that catching him doing something and immediately punishing him for it will have little/no effect? If so then cats are even worse than I thought.

I'm no cat psychology expert so I could be wrong about this, but from what I've read cats don't respond to "discipline" or "punishment" in the same way that dogs do and the way you seem to be expecting. If you get angry at a cat and the cat knows you're angry at it, it'll go "Oh, Zenzirouj is angry and doing things I don't like to me again, I'll just wait until they stop that and go on with my life" rather than wanting to please you or prevent you from being angry. It might, at best, decide not to do the thing while you're there and watching and try to do it when you're not watching. For example, when my kitten used to jump on the bookshelf where she wasn't allowed then yelling at her would make her jump down but it wouldn't stop her jumping back up again as soon as she felt like it.

What cats are VERY good at is deciding that they don't want to do something ever again if that thing itself turns out to be unpleasant. The trick is that you have to make the thing they're doing unpleasant in itself or trick them into thinking that it was the thing which was unpleasant. It can't come from you directly. For example, the way I stopped my kitten from jumping on the bookshelf permanently was to put the vacuum cleaner nearby and switch it on from a distance whenever she jumped on the bookshelf. She did it twice and she has never done it again since because the vacuum cleaner terrifies her and apparently jumping on the bookshelf will invoke the awful scary noise.

So basically your best bet is to get a bit creative with things that he hates and connecting them to peeing on the bed (or jumping on the bed at all, if that's easier). Cats like peeing on soft things, you could also try putting a board or some other hard surface on top of your bed while you're not in it.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

mcknitknot posted:

OK so I'm sure this problem has probably been encountered before but there are 313 pages and drat; aint nobody got time for that.

The skinny: we got a cat. We planned on getting a cat. It wasn't a stupid impulse we just weren't searching for a cat though we were "waiting for one to find us". Finally one did. She's about 6 months and very sweet. We've had her about a month, taken her to the vet. Healthy happy kitty. We'll have her spayed when my husband gets his next bonus (less than a month)

Of course there have been a few problem's. She likes to scratch of course but I didn't want to declaw her so we have about 5 different scratching alternatives for her crammed into our tiny 2 br apt. Problem solved.

She likes to jump on the kitchen counters but we've been working on that with spray bottles and penny cans.

Now here's the deal breaker. She has peed outside f the litter box 2-3 times. 1-2 times in my children's room, and last night ON MY FRIGGING COUCH!

Flat out. This problem needs to be fixed or the cat is going to be taking to the humane society. I feel bad but there you have it. Any suggestions? I really don't want to be THAT person so I'm willing to try but she's seriously got three feet out the door here!

http://www.preciouscat.com/product/cat-attract/

If she continues to pee outside of the box she needs to see a vet because consistently peeing on soft surfaces (i.e. a couch) can indicate illnesses like UTIs. If you're not willing to take her to a vet about this in the event that she doesn't use the Cat Attract, then sorry, you shouldn't have a cat.

Use this where she's already peed.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3399935&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 24, 2013

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, this just happened in my house, too. This morning I discovered that one of my two cats (don't know which) had peed on a folded blanket in the room across from his litterbox. How long should I wait to see if it happens again (or give it a chance for the issue to resolve) before making a vet appointment?

E: The weird thing is that the wet spot didn't smell like much at all, but what else could it have been but pee? It was a big wet spot and there are no water sources around the area.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

Hey, this just happened in my house, too. This morning I discovered that one of my two cats (don't know which) had peed on a folded blanket in the room across from his litterbox. How long should I wait to see if it happens again (or give it a chance for the issue to resolve) before making a vet appointment?

E: The weird thing is that the wet spot didn't smell like much at all, but what else could it have been but pee? It was a big wet spot and there are no water sources around the area.

Drool? I had a couple of cats in their time who loved to suck on blankets and could make big ol' wet spots. Has your cat ever done anything like that before?

Also for the person who is thinking of giving up their cat after a couple of accidents, yeah do try the litter attractants and consider a vet, but also I have to say..surely you considered this before getting the animal? I mean it seems awful hasty to be talking about getting rid of them when it's basically guaranteed for pets to have accidents, cats have accidents when stressed, and everyone has to consider the possibility of problems as their pet gets older or develops an illness. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Any advice about my apartment rules situation?