Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

comes along bort posted:

Yet somehow she got elected in one of the richest (and finance-heavy), most urban states in the country.:iiam:

Her opposition helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
We need a thread rule to ignore SilentD.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Her opposition helped.

You know, we never did get the results of the Boston Herald's quest to expose Elizabeth Warren's REAL ancestry...

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Well I suppose my only hope is that the electorate will drag Hillary to the left a bit but I'm really doubtful about that. At least thing won't be completely horrible from 2012-2020.

I know Hillary is from the 90s third way school, but she was also pushing UHC way back before anyone else, right?

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

SilentD posted:

Warren is way too far on the left economically to ever be nominated in the Democratic party. Those economic views are a direct threat to the upper class residents of NY, CA, DC, and all the other power centers of the Democratic party. Plus Clinton moved the party right on economic issues, was voted back into office. Obama moved it further right and got voted into office again (and he was the progressive choice). Obama especially has made it clear that moving to the right on economics isn't a problem with progressives at all as long as you tack left socially.

Rich urban people control the Democratic party, someone like Warren would cause a revolt among those people and ruin the party.

We upper class CA residents have friends and family who are not venture capitalists. We like them and enjoy having them around because, as upper class aesthetes, we enjoy people who are attractive and fun and not boring propellerheads. You know, like those "lefty chicks" you wish you could "bang". So, see, the thing is, you are dumb and you are not actually one of us, so feel free to shut up now.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

All Of The Dicks posted:

I know Hillary is from the 90s third way school, but she was also pushing UHC way back before anyone else, right?

Very much so; not for nothing was the Clinton-era push for UHC called Hillarycare at the time. She basically headed the white house's efforts on that front, or do you mean even earlier than that?

Also, don't bother replying to SilentD. He apparently suffers from a compulsive need to periodically remind everyone of what a shithead he is. As if we'd forget.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Warren doesn't get to be in real politics. The Illuminati (my pals) won't permit it. :smug:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Captain_Maclaine posted:

not for nothing was the Clinton-era push for UHC called Hillarycare at the time.
Ah, that'd slipped my mind. I remembered it being hung around her neck and her being the spokesperson and all, but I forgot how they all called it Hillarycare and spent endless amounts of time and money trying to brand it that.

Obama actually is smarter about this kind of thing, probably for obvious reasons. He understood instinctively that the best way to defeat a label is to wear it, so as soon as they put down Obamacare he picked it up and started using it. Clever guy, whether you like him or not. His got passed, but that has more to do with his staff not being a bunch of loving rubes. Snuffleupagus and friends fumbled the Clinton transition like nobody's business, launching gays in the military accidentally out of the gate. They were horrible at PR, which is how Dick Morris ended up in the job. If Clinton had started with Gergen and Morris he might've gotten Hillarycare out the door quicker and more successfully. On the other hand, if he'd started with Gergen and Morris they might have triangulated him away from it to start with.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 24, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

Obama actually is smarter about this kind of thing, probably for obvious reasons. He understood instinctively that the best way to defeat a label is to wear it, so as soon as they put down Obamacare he picked it up and started using it.

This actually didn't happen until midway through the 2012 campaign when he started saying "and I do care" at campaign stops. There was significant resistance inside the White House to owning the phrase. Before that, you'd frequently get called a racist for using the term in a post here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's true. I hosed up the timeline, though I'm not sure about the 2012 thing - I swear I can recall him joking about it at a WHCD earlier than the election season. It did take him a while to pick it up, but he eventually did, something Bill & Hillary never would have done I don't think.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Crossposting from the GOP Rebuilding thread:

Confirming what you knew all along, it turns out those political "futures markets" are thoroughly manipulable and completely full of poo poo.

quote:

"A new academic paper digging into presidential betting in the final weeks of the 2012 election finds that a single trader lost between $4 million and $7 million placing a flurry of Intrade bets on Mitt Romney -- perhaps to make the Republican nominee's chance of victory appear brighter," the Wall Street Journal reports.

"The anonymous trader placed 1.2 million pro-Romney contracts, some of which were actually in the form of bets against a Barack Obama victory. The most plausible reason for the betting, the authors conclude, is that 'this trader could have been attempting to manipulate beliefs about the odds of victory in an attempt to boost fundraising, campaign morale, and turnout.'"
Remember when people would point to sudden shifts on Intrade as proof that Romney was gonna win and that the mainstream media was hopelessly biased for the Democrats because of The Wisdom Of Crowds? Yeah.

So when you're trying to sift through information about the 2016 primaries and general election, feel free to toss the movements of political betting markets into the same "Things I Can Safely Ignore" bucket along with Rasmussen polls.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 24, 2013

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

FMguru posted:

Crossposting from the GOP Rebuilding thread:

Confirming what you knew all along, it turns out those political "futures markets" are thoroughly manipulable and completely full of poo poo.
Remember when people would point to sudden shifts on Intrade as proof that Romney was gonna win and that the mainstream media was hopelessly biased for the Democrats because of The Wisdom Of Crowds? Yeah.

So when you're trying to sift through information about the 2016 primaries and general election, feel free to toss the movements of political betting markets into the same "Things I Can Safely Ignore" bucket along with Rasmussen polls.

My god, it's like the perfect black hole of campaign fundraising money. Enough cash to elect a congressman or account for the donations of thousands of small donors, lost in the same amount of time it would take to say "Let it ride on black."

And for what? To convince the gambling addicts and hardcore wonks who actually cared about Intrade?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

FMguru posted:

Sudden large shifts in trading volumes that weren't explainable by an external event (like a lovely debate performance) were transparently seen as attempts to manipulate Intrade at the time. It's not like this schmuck bought much bang for his buck, daring people to take his 4 million without successfully preventing Intrade from predicting 290 electoral college votes for Obama.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DynamicSloth posted:

Sudden large shifts in trading volumes that weren't explainable by an external event (like a lovely debate performance) were transparently seen as attempts to manipulate Intrade at the time. It's not like this schmuck bought much bang for his buck, daring people to take his 4 million without successfully preventing Intrade from predicting 290 electoral college votes for Obama.

Yep, and the Ron Paul crowd had been doing this to the gambling markets pretty much nonstop since 2007. It really doesn't matter much anymore anyways, the CFTC came down on InTrade and friends hard a few weeks after the election so the glory days of that are over.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

SilentD posted:

Warren is way too far on the left economically to ever be nominated in the Democratic party. Those economic views are a direct threat to the upper class residents of NY, CA, DC, and all the other power centers of the Democratic party. Plus Clinton moved the party right on economic issues, was voted back into office. Obama moved it further right and got voted into office again (and he was the progressive choice). Obama especially has made it clear that moving to the right on economics isn't a problem with progressives at all as long as you tack left socially.

Rich urban people control the Democratic party, someone like Warren would cause a revolt among those people and ruin the party.

Rutgers Law, UMich, Penn Law, Harvard, Boston, Senate.

Nothing in her history says 'rich' or 'urban'. Great work SilentD, your shtick is solid gold.

Did you grow up in a college town or something?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah, it's true. Deep pocketed fish sits down at your table, not revolutionary, even if he has an ulterior motive. End result doesn't change.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TheBalor posted:

And for what? To convince the gambling addicts and hardcore wonks who actually cared about Intrade?

No, I'm sure the idea was to create positive media buzz for MittMentum and try to influence voter enthusiasm and turnout that way. :itshappeninggif:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Joementum posted:

This actually didn't happen until midway through the 2012 campaign when he started saying "and I do care" at campaign stops. There was significant resistance inside the White House to owning the phrase. Before that, you'd frequently get called a racist for using the term in a post here.

I canvassed during the 2010 midterms and the marching orders were to not even engage people who brought up Obamacare/the health law/etc.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
gently caress, that guy had 7 MILLION on the market?

ffs I really should've just bit the bullet and started a hedge fund.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

jeffersonlives posted:

Yep, and the Ron Paul crowd had been doing this to the gambling markets pretty much nonstop since 2007. It really doesn't matter much anymore anyways, the CFTC came down on InTrade and friends hard a few weeks after the election so the glory days of that are over.

I'm just a working class jerk, but I genuinely regret not finding a way of dumping all of my money onto intrade when odds were like 70/30 for Obama. In those final weeks when all the conservative media outlets were riding high on Mittmentum and unskewed polls and Nate Silver was steadily cataloging the numbers....God, if there was ever more of a sure thing :doh:

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm just a working class jerk, but I genuinely regret not finding a way of dumping all of my money onto intrade when odds were like 70/30 for Obama. In those final weeks when all the conservative media outlets were riding high on Mittmentum and unskewed polls and Nate Silver was steadily cataloging the numbers....God, if there was ever more of a sure thing :doh:

Always bet on black.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

buttcoin smuggler posted:

Always bet on black.

If I had the picture of Obama looking smug on the phone from the 2012 elections I'd be posting it so hard right now (and getting probated for it).

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

jeffersonlives posted:

It's really too bad, I would not have minded taking more of that rich idiot's money.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

It really doesn't matter much anymore anyways, the CFTC came down on InTrade and friends hard a few weeks after the election so the glory days of that are over.

Wait, the same CFTC midwived by ELIZABETH WARREN herself? That must have sent the conspiracy theorists into a frenzy.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The X-man cometh posted:

Wait, the same CFTC midwived by ELIZABETH WARREN herself? That must have sent the conspiracy theorists into a frenzy.

No, no, that's the CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau). InTrade got whacked by the CFTC (Commodity Futures Trading Commission) for running unregulated commodity option contracts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rick Santorum founded a movie studio to make Christmas family films starring Susan Boyle. No, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2fzS13Qdj0

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/09/months_after_vetoing_disclosur.php

More theorizing about Perry2016 from Dallas.

quote:

The cover story for Governor Rick Perry's feud with California Governor Jerry Brown, his job-poaching trip to Missouri and his visit to a Maryland gun manufacturer the day after this month's Navy Yard shooting, is that he's bolstering the Texas economy by spreading the state's low-tax gospel and wooing people and businesses.

That Perry's principled stand in defense of free speech happens to line up so perfectly with his presidential ambitions is no doubt pure happenstance. Americans for Economic Freedom is just a group of Perry's closest friends and allies, boldly standing up for their Constitutional right to free speech.

I seriously can't believe that he would do try again, but I guess after the previous attempt he's working with a rather low bar.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/09/months_after_vetoing_disclosur.php

I seriously can't believe that he would do try again, but I guess after the previous attempt he's working with a rather low bar.

I want him to keep running, it's wasting a lot of his and his evil friends money.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Rick Perry wants to do this within the next election cycle because this is his last realistic chance. He can go on being King poo poo of Texas forever, but he wouldn't have made the normally weak position of governor of Texas so powerful if he wasn't an ambitious man. Anything but the presidency would be a step down for him.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sir Tonk posted:

If most of these people were realistic with themselves, why would they ever run? The thing about Perry is that he just looks like a politician. Like, if I wanted a perfect image of how people view politicians, I'd go with Rick Perry. Perfect hair, a too-wide grin, beady eyes, and a look that betrays the fact that there is nothing underneath the image.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sir Tonk posted:

I mean this very seriously: why wouldn't he run? He's retired from the governorship, and it can't hurt to get some sweet PAC money before he goes on to an inevitable speaking job or FOX position. He probably won't come close to winning, but he'll make millions anyway.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Plus if you can hit that sweet spot of "Eternal Second Placer", you get to be automatically politically relevant with all that favor that brings, and avoid the only drawback of being a politician: actually having to hold office. Plus, who knows, maybe you get tapped for Veep, or wind up as the compromise candidate, or some faction's ringer. We have a black president named Barack Obama - stranger things have happened.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jonked posted:

Plus if you can hit that sweet spot of "Eternal Second Placer", you get to be automatically politically relevant with all that favor that brings, and avoid the only drawback of being a politician: actually having to hold office. Plus, who knows, maybe you get tapped for Veep, or wind up as the compromise candidate, or some faction's ringer. We have a black president named Barack Obama - stranger things have happened.

He's already got the book deal, the grateful business interests that he's spent his entire career in bed with, and he's already a high draft pick for a talking head on cable. He can certainly fantasize about a dark horse presidency, but he really screwed up any chance to occupy the long shot position. His actual upside is being able to say he did a one-and-done in Iowa.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Has anyone else noticed the smart people glasses he's been rocking more and more publicly lately? He looks like a loving startup CEO half the times I see him photographed these days. Sweaters, dark jeans, Buddy Holly hipster glasses.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Well I'm convinced. A policy wonk is born.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
All he needs is a blazer and an Isuzu Pup.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's rapidly becoming Tommy Lee Jones.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In 2016 news, the renowned director if No End In Sight and Inside Job was forced to quit a Clinton documentary because the Washington money machine surrounding the Clintons and others circled the wagons and made his job impossible:

http://news.yahoo.com/cnn-scraps-hillary-clinton-documentary-after-the-director-drops-out-144058250.html

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

ReindeerF posted:

In 2016 news, the renowned director if No End In Sight and Inside Job was forced to quit a Clinton documentary because the Washington money machine surrounding the Clintons and others circled the wagons and made his job impossible:

http://news.yahoo.com/cnn-scraps-hillary-clinton-documentary-after-the-director-drops-out-144058250.html

Smart move on Clinton's part, CNN always falls over themselves to find the truth in the middle when the RNC starts one of their "working the ref" campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I totally agree, smart political players playing the media refs to avoid any truth coming out. Charles Ferguson isn't Adam Curtis, but you put him in any situation versus a bunch of established political dynastic types and I trust him 1000x more, whether that's Bushes, Obamas, Clintons, Romneys, Reagans, you name it.

I guess one content-full thing to come out of this is that you now know she's going to run 100% for sure in 2016, because a full court press against a respected documentarian would've seemed out of place just as a casual CYA maneuver. Hillary is 45!

• Locked thread