Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Man, I'm (un?)lucky enough that my midwives don't even check for dilation unless they feel something's wrong. I'm so low-risk that they don't even worry about it. I'm due in 3 weeks and just last week was able to tell what a Braxton Hicks felt like! She's also dropped, so now I get to finish my last week of work next week and just sit around waiting for something to happen.

There's no point checking for dilation unless there's a problem. They told me they won't stick fingers in there for no reason because there's always a (albeit small) risk of infection. With my first I wasn't checked until I was in active labor, with my second I was checked the same day because I was almost two weeks overdue and they were considering induction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008

rectal cushion posted:

There's no point checking for dilation unless there's a problem. They told me they won't stick fingers in there for no reason because there's always a (albeit small) risk of infection. With my first I wasn't checked until I was in active labor, with my second I was checked the same day because I was almost two weeks overdue and they were considering induction.

That's good to hear, then. :) I have so many people asking me "DO YOU KNOW IF YOU'RE DILATED YET???" and even "Have they told you how big she's gonna be???" that I almost felt like it wasn't normal that I wasn't getting these things routinely done. I love how some people have no filter when it comes to talking to pregnant women.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Chicken Biscuits posted:

That's good to hear, then. :) I have so many people asking me "DO YOU KNOW IF YOU'RE DILATED YET???" and even "Have they told you how big she's gonna be???" that I almost felt like it wasn't normal that I wasn't getting these things routinely done. I love how some people have no filter when it comes to talking to pregnant women.

Ooh, I meant to say. I get checked because it's a state run teaching hospital and they check everything all the time. It's nice, in a way, because we DO have more information... measurements, percentiles for measurements, estimated weight and fetal age and whatnot, but if he wasn't right in the 53rd percentile across the board, I'd probably be freaking out. On a less positive-and-reassuring note, it also means sometimes my appointment is spent with the doctor grilling a med student on what might cause someone to not have any urine output. I thought "maybe the ureter isn't connected" was a good, if extreme, answer.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Basically, if you can still move around during a contraction you're not in labor yet. The active labor contractions will basically freeze you in place (or at least you really, really won't want to move) and then it's go to the hospital time. You might also see a bit of blood if you go to the bathroom.

For me contractions was sudden pressure around the pelvis area, not much else.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thanks all,

Yeah the biggest issue with my situation is that the army MIGHT choose for me, regardless of what I ask for.

My reason of thinking was this, my next two duty station choices are Alaska or Ft. Bragg. We also have two dogs. So, I was trying to think of the less stressful of the moves. Moving with a wife that's pregnant across the world, with two dogs, and some of our belongings. Or moving with a newborn, the 2 dogs, and some home stuff that we won't see for a while. All while trying to find a place to live (she is adamant about not living on post). Just trying to find the less stressful option.

She wants to stay, so I guess we'll be doing that. Going to talk to my branch manager and hopefully we'll get some other options than Alaska (which I would love, but she has said hell no) and FT.Bragg which is the opposite.

On the different note, we have our first appointment next week. We're really hoping for a boy, but would be happy with anything. We've been trying for 3 years, so this has definitely been a weight off our shoulders.

She has been naseus a lot, not really in the morning just constantly. Hopefully it gets better for her eventually. It also really sucks because we both like to eat a lot of Salmon but she can't have fish for her pregnancy.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
They told me rule of thumb was to go in when the contractions were lasting around one minute each and "hurt A LOT" (with emphasis on A LOT, haha.

Edit: Soulex, the nausea most often passes after the first trimester. It can help to snack during the day so her blood suger won't drop. Salty things, ginger, sour things are all stuff different women find help their nausea. For me it was sour things. I kept lemon juice at my desk at work.

Are you sure she can't have fish at all? They told me to avoid like shark and swordfish and not completely overdo it on fatty fish, but that normal amounts of fish were fine.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 20, 2013

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
What if the hospital is 45 minutes drive away? Active labour usually lasts for at least an hour, right?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

Are you sure she can't have fish at all? They told me to avoid like shark and swordfish and not completely overdo it on fatty fish, but that normal amounts of fish were fine.

Yeah, that sounds weird. You're supposed to avoid fish that migt be full of mercury and what not, but omega 3 acids are great for both mum and fetus, and eating fish regularly is part of the recommended guidelines for what to eat while pregnant.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

bee posted:

What if the hospital is 45 minutes drive away? Active labour usually lasts for at least an hour, right?

I think the rule of thumb is close to due date mixed with close timed contractions. That or water breaking.

Don't want to call it too late though since otherwise you'll be that person delivering a baby in the car on the highway or something. I was joking with our doctor about how much "stuff" was coming out of my wife and how people would handle that mess on the side of the road. At that point it's the car is never the same again. No seat/rug shampoo is going to bring that new car scent back from blood, urine, amniotic fluid, etc all over front and back seats.

God forbid the kids are tagging along too :v:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You don't have to do cervical checks. My doc said "we start cervix checks at 37 weeks" and I said I'd be passing on them. No big deal. I did ask him why they do them anyway since it really didn't seem to tell them anything and they didn't really have an answer other than "eh, just what we do."

You are in control of your own medical care so if there is something you don't want it is fully in your rights to refuse or ask for clarification about why something is done and what use it is before agreeing to anything.

Also, I worried about "oh no what if I don't know it is a contraction" and that was foolish. When you get to active labor to the point you should head to where ever you will be delivering, you will certainly know. I had to stop whatever I was doing and lean bent over against a wall or get down on hands and knees until each contraction was over. I stayed in active labor at home for a couple hours and went to the hospital a whole three hours before he was born.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks for the advice on the Redskins onesie. Whatever we decide, it'll definitely be my husband doing the talking. I'm thinking of maybe phrasing it as "We love the team but we don't like their name"-- hopefully that can keep the conversation about us and our weird personal preferences rather than racism/offensiveness. I also found a tiny football costume she could wear as a possible alternative.

Really what I'm hoping now is that they noticed we seemed uncomfortable when they showed us the onesies and they'll just put them away and not bring it up. There's always a chance...

Tourette Meltdown, I didn't end up feeling any contractions until I was in active labor, but then it was super obvious-- when the first one hit I said "Ow!" aloud.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Seven for a Secret posted:

Thanks for the advice on the Redskins onesie. Whatever we decide, it'll definitely be my husband doing the talking. I'm thinking of maybe phrasing it as "We love the team but we don't like their name"-- hopefully that can keep the conversation about us and our weird personal preferences rather than racism/offensiveness. I also found a tiny football costume she could wear as a possible alternative.

Really what I'm hoping now is that they noticed we seemed uncomfortable when they showed us the onesies and they'll just put them away and not bring it up. There's always a chance...

Tourette Meltdown, I didn't end up feeling any contractions until I was in active labor, but then it was super obvious-- when the first one hit I said "Ow!" aloud.

My parents are big football fans, but luckily we can indulge them without worrying too much - I guess "Crimson Tide" would be offensive if we were fish. Babies dressed as actual footballs are WAY cuter than babies plastered with team names/logos, anyway.
I'll hold out for the "ow"! I'm just paranoid. Lost my mucus plug this morning too (man what is it about being pregnant that makes it okay to say things like that to strangers?), so we know we're playing a waiting game... could be days, could be weeks!

sheri, I don't mind the checks much, but lord if I hold out for several more weeks I may ask to skip it. Feeling like poo poo all day because I got my cervix jabbed isn't very fun.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Seven for a Secret posted:

Don't feel like you're the weird one for not wanting the baby to wear a racial slur on its clothing!

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Any suggestions for dealing with pregnancy anxiety? I'm about 12 weeks with my second and it is getting out of hand. I was on Celexa for depression and some anxiety before but it didn't seem to be doing much. I went off the Celexa once we began trying to conceive and I figured I'd go over other options with my doctor after the baby was born. I got my positive test result on this pregnancy super early and anxiety set in almost immediately. It's not like panic attacks, mostly just sitting up at night and worrying or, worse, getting so wound up I start cramping.

We had planned on not announcing the pregnancy for a while to try and get a handle on this, especially since a big chunk of my fears are related to something going wrong. We did tell our parents for support in case something happened and made it clear that we would announce it to everyone else when we felt safe in doing so, but my parents told everyone under the sun anyway (and then got super pissed at me when I told them they should have given me a heads up first), so that backfired and made things worse. My first appointment is on Wednesday and I'll bring up the anxiety then, but meanwhile anticipation and worry about that appointment is escalating. I had my fears during my first pregnancy, but nothing like this. I guess it could just be hormones, but drat.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ansiktsburk posted:

Any suggestions for dealing with pregnancy anxiety? I'm about 12 weeks with my second and it is getting out of hand. I was on Celexa for depression and some anxiety before but it didn't seem to be doing much. I went off the Celexa once we began trying to conceive and I figured I'd go over other options with my doctor after the baby was born. I got my positive test result on this pregnancy super early and anxiety set in almost immediately. It's not like panic attacks, mostly just sitting up at night and worrying or, worse, getting so wound up I start cramping.

We had planned on not announcing the pregnancy for a while to try and get a handle on this, especially since a big chunk of my fears are related to something going wrong. We did tell our parents for support in case something happened and made it clear that we would announce it to everyone else when we felt safe in doing so, but my parents told everyone under the sun anyway (and then got super pissed at me when I told them they should have given me a heads up first), so that backfired and made things worse. My first appointment is on Wednesday and I'll bring up the anxiety then, but meanwhile anticipation and worry about that appointment is escalating. I had my fears during my first pregnancy, but nothing like this. I guess it could just be hormones, but drat.

I don't have any suggestions in dealing with it, but I'm feeling exactly the same way. I'm almost six weeks pregnant with my second and the anxiety over losing the baby is extreme this time. I had terrible prenatal and postpartum depression with my first, but this whole anxiety thing is a new ball game.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

skeetied posted:

I don't have any suggestions in dealing with it, but I'm feeling exactly the same way. I'm almost six weeks pregnant with my second and the anxiety over losing the baby is extreme this time. I had terrible prenatal and postpartum depression with my first, but this whole anxiety thing is a new ball game.

Y'all both please, please, please call your docs about serious anxiety, even if it's before your first appointment. I came off Pristiq for crippling anxiety (cold turkey, woo!) when we decided to try, and I've been weirdly chill through most of the pregnancy - except for the normal worries and expected mood swings - but you bet your rear end I'm getting back on it ASAP, before I have the chance to have a panic attack. I really think that early in the pregnancy (and any time it could be seriously detrimental to your mental/physical health), you have to put yourself first. I can't remember what it is they give pregnant women (Zoloft?), it's something I tried before that didn't work at all for me, but we had to get into the weirdo drugs before anything worked, so y'all will probably be fine.

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008
I have generalized anxiety disorder that my doctor has been treating with Lexapro. Before the pregnancy it worked like a charm, but now I'll have sudden fits of major anxiety and anger out of nowhere. I assumed it was related to my hormones going nuts. I spoke to my psychiatrist about Lexapro and her only concerns were related to the third trimester, as it can cause extra bleeding and the baby could go through serotonin withdrawals. At this point (5 weeks in), she would rather me be on the medicine and have less anxiety. Whenever I'm feeling extra anxious I try to do breathing exercises or listen to meditation videos. Being anxious all of the time sucks. :(

I don't know about Zoloft given to pregnant women, but I do know that it's given to breast feeding women because it doesn't pass through the breast milk.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I'm at about 28 weeks now, and today I went in for my gestational diabetes test and to get the flu shot. Both went without a hitch, but I was talking with a couple ladies later on and they were horrified that I got a flu shot while pregnant. I'm a bit confused, because I thought the flu shot is strongly recommended for pregnant women? The one lady actually said sadly, "you won't know the full impact of exposing your child to that toxin for years."

The nurse told me that the version I got was dead virus based and mercury free. I thought the whole vaccine link to damaging kids was disproven. Are there that many anti-vaccine crazies out there or has there ever really been a link between flu shots in pregnant women and damage to their babies?

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
No, the people who said that to you are absolutely idiots. You did the right thing in getting a flu shot while pregnant, that way your baby will be protected by it from birth via your immunity. From what I understand the flu vaccine is not approved for very young infants, so this is the best way to protect your baby (and yourself, with a weakened immune system) especially with flu season right around the corner.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I just realized I've aged out of this thread! My son is 14 weeks now. His 3 month warranty is up and I am definitely going to keep him. I don't think I'll follow the Parenting megathread because that's just too huge an age range for me to dig through for helpful information, but we'll see.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I'm at about 28 weeks now, and today I went in for my gestational diabetes test and to get the flu shot. Both went without a hitch, but I was talking with a couple ladies later on and they were horrified that I got a flu shot while pregnant. I'm a bit confused, because I thought the flu shot is strongly recommended for pregnant women? The one lady actually said sadly, "you won't know the full impact of exposing your child to that toxin for years."

The nurse told me that the version I got was dead virus based and mercury free. I thought the whole vaccine link to damaging kids was disproven. Are there that many anti-vaccine crazies out there or has there ever really been a link between flu shots in pregnant women and damage to their babies?

They are all crazies. Honestly, do you think the AAP and every doctor ever would recommend it if there was a chance of it hurting your baby?

Relax, you did the right thing.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Like everyone else said, those people are crazy. I guess the number of crazy anti vaccine people varies from place to place but there's still a few out there.

sudont posted:

I just realized I've aged out of this thread! My son is 14 weeks now. His 3 month warranty is up and I am definitely going to keep him. I don't think I'll follow the Parenting megathread because that's just too huge an age range for me to dig through for helpful information, but we'll see.

Most of the stuff posted in the thread is about very young children, I'd say the majority is about under twos - sleeping, teething and weaning especially. Some posts are about children older than toddlers but the vast majority are posts about pre-school aged children.

And October is a nice time to start dipping into the thread if you like small children in Halloween costumes :)

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

*is MacGyver irl*
Thanks for the feedback, I was shocked by how strongly they felt about it, they both reacted like I'd just told them I'd given my baby a loaded handgun. One of them actually has an advanced degree in biochemistry, but I know she is also into the whole natural green movement so I guess I'm not surprised. I've always been pro-vaccine and will definitely get my kid his shots as recommended after he's born, I just won't be discussing it with certain folks because I don't need them implying that I'm harming my child. Not a nice thing to do, especially to a first time mom.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Thanks for the feedback, I was shocked by how strongly they felt about it, they both reacted like I'd just told them I'd given my baby a loaded handgun. One of them actually has an advanced degree in biochemistry, but I know she is also into the whole natural green movement so I guess I'm not surprised. I've always been pro-vaccine and will definitely get my kid his shots as recommended after he's born, I just won't be discussing it with certain folks because I don't need them implying that I'm harming my child. Not a nice thing to do, especially to a first time mom.

My favorite snarky reply was always "Really? My doctor says it's fine, so that means one of you is wrong."

Used that on the mother in law more than once.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
To get vaccinated for the flu, can I get the dead flu virus at a local CVS/etc? I've thought about it, and I'm 28 weeks as well, thus kiddo is going to show up during the best time to get the flu.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Shot = dead virus, nasal spray vaccine = weakened virus. So anywhere that is giving the shot form it's the dead virus and you'll be fine getting it.

The nurse actually was concerned that I shouldn't get vaccinated while pregnant when I went to get my flu shot. I had to assure her that my OB wanted it done (it has to be done at student health for my insurance to cover it, so I could not get it done at the OB's office). I also pointed out to her that the CDC and numerous other medical associations recommend it for pregnant women. It's frustrating when even some healthcare professionals are so ill-informed.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I had the flu shot at 28 weeks, it was offered to me by the midwife at my antenatal appointment. I wasn't aware then that it was available and safe for pregnant women, but the midwife assured me that it was ok and gave me an information pack on vaccination. Turns out that the protection the shot gives you will also protect your baby for a few months after birth, when they are too little to be vaccinated themselves.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got both the flu and Tdap while I was pregnant.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Cool. I get wary of it only because I've taken the flu shot twice. First time, I was ill within two hours and then sick for a week (puking, fever, diarrhea, chills, etc) and the second time, nada. I figure it was probably a fluke thing the first time. However, we've actually got a patient who had the million to 1 reaction that almost killed him, and after doing therapy for a year - he's walking with two canes (I remember when he couldn't get out of his wheelchair). Obviously fluke crazy things, and the odds are always in your favor.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

*is MacGyver irl*

Anya posted:

To get vaccinated for the flu, can I get the dead flu virus at a local CVS/etc? I've thought about it, and I'm 28 weeks as well, thus kiddo is going to show up during the best time to get the flu.

Hey, just so you know, I was told the single dose flu shot doesn't have mercury, but the multi-vial flu shot does. Not sure it really matters, but many OB's distribute the single dose type to pregnant women for this reason.

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008

Anya posted:

Cool. I get wary of it only because I've taken the flu shot twice. First time, I was ill within two hours and then sick for a week (puking, fever, diarrhea, chills, etc) and the second time, nada. I figure it was probably a fluke thing the first time. However, we've actually got a patient who had the million to 1 reaction that almost killed him, and after doing therapy for a year - he's walking with two canes (I remember when he couldn't get out of his wheelchair). Obviously fluke crazy things, and the odds are always in your favor.

I'm currently getting my degree in microbiology, and I've learned through my various classes (mostly virology) that you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. However, the flu shot is only good for three strains of the virus that experts believe will be the most prevalent. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of strains of the flu. I believe that only people that are allergic to eggs are advised to not get the shot. Even if it doesn't work against every strain, some protection is better than no protection. It sounds like your patient might have contracted Guillain-Barré syndrome..? If I can answer any questions, just let me know and I'll do my best. :)

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT, you had much more restraint than I would have had! Anti-vac people make me furious. It's thanks to those morons that measles is something people have to worry about again.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Thanks you so much for the replies on the anxiety stuff, skeetied, Tourette Meltdown, and Isabelle Caramel. It's a relief just to see others talk about it, makes me feel less paranoid. I had my appointment today and heard the heartbeat, so that was a huge relief. My blood pressure at the beginning of the appointment was crazy, but they retook it after checking the heart beat and it was normal then. One less thing to worry about for the time being.

Since I'm 13 weeks now and all of the organs are formed, my OB said I could try going back on a medication for the anxiety and depression since it's better to not be stressed out all the time during pregnancy. She actually recommended Wellbutrin because it is considered the safest as far as pregnancy categories go, if anyone else is curious about that.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Dear Pregnancy Thread (there is a sentence fragment I never imagined typing),

First of all, thankyou. My lovely wife and I are going to become first-time parents at the end of November, and I've just finished trawling the last 220 pages and learnt a whole lot more 'practical' things than I did from the half dozen books I read combined.

I had a few questions, which may have been touched on but still:

a) The obs said we can expect to be there 4-5 days. The hospital will let me stay overnight, for a small amount. To the ladies, is that something you would really want? Or do you just want to be left the hell alone for the night? It's only like a 10m drive, so it isn't really for convenience or anything.

b) All the books have checklists of 'what to pack for your hospital stay', and they are all pretty much the same - clothes, slippers, toiletries, etc. But is there anything you really wanted or wished you had? The list I have been going off is like http://www.kidspot.com.au/Pregnancy-Tools-What-to-pack-for-hospital+2+2+article.htm

c) On a similar path, I'd like to bring her something special for lunch or dinner one day. When do you think would be best for that? Or would you just not be interested in food at all, other than in a basic 'feed me gruel then let me sleep' kind of way?

d) It's going to be the start of summer here in Sydney, and it's supposed to be the hottest in a long time. We don't have aircon. Do you get particularly hot post-pregnancy, to the point of discomfort? The last thing I want is to bring her home and have her feel like hot, sweaty death! I can borrow a portable aircon, but it's going to be an entire day's driving, so like to avoid it unless we really need it.

e) Not a question, but holy hell I am terrified at suddenly becoming a responsible adult.

f) Girls names? Sorted.
Boys names? Not so much. We have a short list - would this be the place to ask people for opinions?

Thanks!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

BrosephofArimathea posted:

First of all, thankyou. My lovely wife and I are going to become first-time parents at the end of November, and I've just finished trawling the last 220 pages and learnt a whole lot more 'practical' things than I did from the half dozen books I read combined.

a) The obs said we can expect to be there 4-5 days. The hospital will let me stay overnight, for a small amount. To the ladies, is that something you would really want? Or do you just want to be left the hell alone for the night? It's only like a 10m drive, so it isn't really for convenience or anything.

b) All the books have checklists of 'what to pack for your hospital stay', and they are all pretty much the same - clothes, slippers, toiletries, etc. But is there anything you really wanted or wished you had? The list I have been going off is like http://www.kidspot.com.au/Pregnancy-Tools-What-to-pack-for-hospital+2+2+article.htm

c) On a similar path, I'd like to bring her something special for lunch or dinner one day. When do you think would be best for that? Or would you just not be interested in food at all, other than in a basic 'feed me gruel then let me sleep' kind of way?

d) It's going to be the start of summer here in Sydney, and it's supposed to be the hottest in a long time. We don't have aircon. Do you get particularly hot post-pregnancy, to the point of discomfort? The last thing I want is to bring her home and have her feel like hot, sweaty death! I can borrow a portable aircon, but it's going to be an entire day's driving, so like to avoid it unless we really need it.

e) Not a question, but holy hell I am terrified at suddenly becoming a responsible adult.

f) Girls names? Sorted.
Boys names? Not so much. We have a short list - would this be the place to ask people for opinions?

Thanks!

a) It depends on your wife. I would have liked it if my husband had stayed because it's pretty boring being stuck in hospital then after the baby was born it would be nice to have someone share the work/terror of dealing with a newborn, but your wife might feel differently. I'd just say to her that it's her choice and you are more than happy to do either.

b) I would have liked a water sprayer thing as you get pretty drat hot and sweaty during labour.

c) Again, it really depends what your wife likes to eat. Food that she's not been allowed to eat during the pregnancy (like pate) might be nice but only if she actually likes it.

d) I didn't get overly hot after pregnancy.

e) You'll be fine.

f) You can ask and get opinions, I think there might also be a thread in PYF? There was a few years back but it's not a forum I check regularly. My boys names are Alistair, Cameron and Connor so feel free to use any of those :)

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama

BrosephofArimathea posted:

f) Girls names? Sorted.

Thanks!

a) Like hookerbot said, it depends on what your wife wants. I would have LOVED it if my husband could have stayed overnight with me and the baby, but I was on a public ward with like 10 other moms and babies and it was hard to sleep at night because of the noise. I really only could sleep when my husband was there in the day and could watch the baby while I slept with earplugs in. Also I was pretty anxious and having the help and company during the night would have been really nice. Maybe you could stay there the first night and if your wife wants stay home the second night and see how it goes?

b) Sorry if this is TMI, but for maternity pads make sure she had the super gigantic ones. I got some crappy ones from the maternity store that were basically just thick maxi pads, but they need to be really wide and thick. As for slippers, during our prenatal classes they told us to bring slippers that had a back (not slip-on ones) for some reason, but I really wish I had brought slip-on ones instead because I had an emergency c-section and it was impossible to get my drat slippers on without help because I couldn't bend over to do it.

c) Again, it depends on the woman, but I was a lot more hungry after I gave birth than I was during the end of my pregnancy. I was also breastfeeding as well. Luckily the hospital food was pretty good, but I had a cache of granola bars and other snacks beside my bed, especially for during the night. The hospital wouldn't let us bring in meals from outside, but I would have enjoyed my favorite takeaway or whatever if I could have had it, but you're only in the hospital for a few days so it's not like it can't wait. Stock up on her favorite snacks though, especially if she'll be breastfeeding.

d) I wasn't hot after pregnancy, but I also gave birth when it was still cold out here. Keep in mind newborns can't regulate their temperature too well and at least here (Ireland) they recommend that the room where baby sleeps be kept around 18-21 degrees Celsius.

e) I was the same. A lot more scared of having to become a parent than of having to give birth. It is scary and there is a definite learning curve, but the fear I had of it was worse than it really is. There's a lot of challenges, but also a lot of rewards.

f) Feel free to post your short list of names. We had a hard time naming our son too. We went with Aaron, but some of the names we were considering were Nathan, Aidan, and Ciaran.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
My husband stayed with me all three nights I was in the hospital. I'm really glad he did, too, because I was stressed and not thinking straight. There were only a few other husbands there, and none as much as him, but I definitely needed him.

It was right before a heat wave that my son was born and we only had a window unit then. When I first started breastfeeding, the oxytocin would cause me to get super hot and sweaty. It was gross. Still happens once in a while. If you can just get a small AC, everyone might be happier. My son is a super warm baby too, so we were always sweating on each other. Bonding!

For the hospital, I was really glad I had my own pillow. That was the best thing.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
a) My husband stayed the whole time, and I was so very glad he was there. I had tubes in both arms so I couldn't bend my elbows much, and he held the baby up to my chest for breastfeeding and cuddling, brought me juice and held it up for me to drink, etc. Emotionally it was very comforting to have him with me.

b) I don't think I ended up using any of the things I packed except for my phone and clothes for me and the baby when we left. If your wife has long hair she'll likely want something to tie it back with.

c) If possible, wait and see what she wants and then go get it. After the birth I really wanted cranberry juice and sandwiches with lots of cheese, which I would not have predicted beforehand.

d) I tended to get overheated while breastfeeding (sweaty little baby pressed to your body will do that). A/C would definitely be nice but a strong fan may be okay.

Congratulations and best of luck! Late November birthdays are the best.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I had a csection and my husband stayed the entire time. If he hadn't I have no idea how I would have managed. I couldn't even sit up without the assistance of the bed for the first day, never mind getting up to change a diaper or grab the baby so he could breastfeed.

I was sweaty and hot like you wouldn't believe postpartum. And my son was born in late fall here. I remember sitting under a fan in December in a tank top and still feeling too warm.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
a) I would plan on staying the first night and then see what your wife wants. I definitely wanted my husband to stay because, even after an uncomplicated vaginal delivery, it was uncomfortable to reach over into the plastic bassinet to get my son.

b) We ended up using practically nothing in our bag. I'm not actually sure we opened it until I needed clothes to go home in.

c) I would wait until you see what she's craving at that time. Also, if your hospital has terrible food late at night like mine did, be prepared to go get take out somewhere at 11 pm if she delivers late. I really wish I had gotten my husband to do that.

d) I was drenched in sweat for two weeks postpartum, which is pretty common since you have to lose the extra fluids of pregnancy somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
(A) my husband went home the one night I was in the hospital (but we lived 2 miles away so it was only a 5 minute drive, and he went home at like 1am just to sleep and was back by 6am). If I were to have stayed multiple nights or we lived further away, I probably would have wanted him to stay with me.

(B) My own goddamned towel. A big fluffy one that would actually wrap around me. The hospital towels were approximately the size of dishtowels and felt as if they were made of steel wool.

(C)Whatever food it is that she can't have during pregnancy and she's been wanting the whole time. We had a pretty strict "Don't even think about visiting me in the hospital if you don't have sushi with you" rule, it was glorious. (Also, I was in labor for 57 hours and those fuckers wouldn't let me eat the whole time, so I really REALLY wanted food.)

(D) Oh my god, the hormones and the sweating. I was so overheated and sweaty constantly for at least a month or two after having Liam. He spent a month in the NICU and I used to have to gown up for it, on top of which they kept it warm for the babies. I was already at the tipping point on being overheated anyway, and I used to walk out of there looking like a wet dishrag then rush right home to take a cool shower and just the process of drying myself off would make me start sweating again.