Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Essobie posted:

Yeah, the "space maps" were certainly the worst thing about Quake 3, in my opinion.

Void maps own, why are you so wrong :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I was gonna write a really big post about how much i love painkiller but i already did apparently.

I wouldn't listen to totalbiscuit about anything because he is God drat Terrible At Games.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
The only annoying parts of Serious Sam for me were hitscan enemies. Kleers are fun for me to fight against, I don't know why they get so much hate. You dance with them and their bolo projectiles, wait for one to leap at you, sidestep it and blast the drat thing to bits with your double barrel shotgun. Add dozens to the mix and you've got a true test for FPS skills.

It's just like good old Doom, dancing around with a screen full of enemies and projectiles. The hitscan enemies are pretty much there to force you to find some health and armor pickups.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RyokoTK posted:

No way, The Longest Yard (Q3DM17) was a great map.

Seriously. I find it difficult to believe anyone can dislike The Longest Yard. It's a fantastic map.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

No way, The Longest Yard (Q3DM17) was a great map.

Also, whoever was talking poo poo about the Railgun earlier has bad opinions.

Agreed on The Longest Yard, but the railgun really is kinda not good. It's not a terrible weapon I guess but there's a lot more effective weapons in the game that don't take nearly as much effort to use.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

jerkstoresup posted:

The only annoying parts of Serious Sam for me were hitscan enemies. Kleers are fun for me to fight against, I don't know why they get so much hate. You dance with them and their bolo projectiles, wait for one to leap at you, sidestep it and blast the drat thing to bits with your double barrel shotgun. Add dozens to the mix and you've got a true test for FPS skills.

It's just like good old Doom, dancing around with a screen full of enemies and projectiles. The hitscan enemies are pretty much there to force you to find some health and armor pickups.

Yeah, I really liked fighting Kleers in TFE + TSE. I've posted about it before, but there's definitely a sort of strafing "dance" that can basically render you invulnerable while fighting large groups of Kleers. It feels great when you can use a coach gun to whittle a group of 25 or 30 Kleers down to nothing--and they can't even land a blow on you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can see getting tired of The Longest Yard after playing the poo poo out of q3test for months.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Holy crap, Shadow Warrior is alot harder than Duke Nukem 3D even on the same difficulty setting. The enemies are way more lethal.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mushball posted:

I remember in totalbiscuit's Shadow Warrior 2013 quick look he mentioned that enemies are bullet spongy which isn't going to be a problem seeing how powerful the sword is at cutting monsters apart in the video. Do you have any problems shooting monsters to death in the preview build or if something has to die now its time to break out the rocket launcher or the sticky crossbow?

The pistol seems a little underpowered, but the dual SMGs and shotgun are death to critters. The crossbow is a good all-purpose weapon - the stickybombs are nice, but I've found that a combo of the shield spell (fully upgraded it stops you from using altfires, but gives you 50% damage reduction against everything) and the charge-up main shot is great for most things.

The sword is reliable, but I think most upgraded guns have slightly higher damage output per second.

The shotgun is hilariously inaccurate, so best used as at melee range anyway, but it one-shots most smaller enemies, and the altfire kills medium ones. Heavy enemies (minibosses, pretty much) need 4-5 full blasts.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Holy crap, Shadow Warrior is alot harder than Duke Nukem 3D even on the same difficulty setting. The enemies are way more lethal.

i'm not to proud to admit i gave up on shadow warrior on like level 2 because the hitscan enemies pissed me off. me, the guy who loves Blood above all other 2.5d shooters.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Blow up everything. The game gives you a ton of explosives, especially if you look for secrets. Use the rocket launcher for direct attacks, but use the grenade launcher to clear some enemies out a room before going in.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Blow up everything. The game gives you a ton of explosives, especially if you look for secrets. Use the rocket launcher for direct attacks, but use the grenade launcher to clear some enemies out a room before going in.

Having just played through it I'll second this. The game seemed really tough at first, but then I realised how useful the explosives are and what massive quantities the game gives out (at least when you're playing the levels continuously) and it suddenly became a lot easier.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I went through the first two episodes of Shadow Warrior not too long ago, and I'm going to also say "use explosives a lot." The game gives you a liberal amount of missile launcher ammo, and you should be utilizing it often. No time for "shotgun only, save your best ammo for tougher boss fights" stuff in this game! Burn through your weapons with reckless abandon!

It's also very satisfying. I was one of those guys that would play through most of Doom with the shotgun because I wanted to save the bigger weapons for tougher fights, and then I found out that I would even engage tougher fights with the shotgun anyway. If you're on of those "hoard all the items in an RPG" kind of players, you need to throw that train of thought away with Shadow Warrior.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Nuke is more useful for large groups of enemies rather than a single target; I still never found the gas bomb useful, it was definitely a MP only item with marginal SP use (if it's damage was buffed up dramatically than it would be good) Same goes for the flash bangs and Caltrops. Same could be said of course for the holoduke, the enemies had a very simple AI that made them go towards it but the one enemy it would of been great on, the Kamikaze drone, it doesn't work on.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Figures. Blowing everything up works in Duke Nukem 3D as well.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
Anybody get that Alien Rage game that came out today? It claims it has Quake/Doom like gameplay... but it has iron sights? Wondering if it's worth picking up and I don't see a thread for it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm curious as well and Googling around it's been getting decent reviews. Seems like nothing mindblowing but kinda fun. It's also $15 on GMG if you use the current 25% off code and you get a Steam key: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/alien-rage/

GMG25-J4B0D-FLH8M

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
From what I can see, I already wish Alien Rage went with a different art style. I find that Gears-of-War-esque "detail obliterated through too much detail" style really unattractive, and everything ends up looking too similar: Weapons, enemies, rooms, etc.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Alien Rage looks like it has literally no original ideas at all. It's kind of a miracle it got released when it seems even more boring than Interstellar Marines.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
One nifty thing with Shadow Warrior's explosive weapons (and a subtle hint as to how often to use them) is the sheer amount of flexibility you have when it comes to deploying them. You've got dumb fire rockets for concentrating them directly towards a target of choice, heat seekers for run and gun crowd control, sticky bombs to deploy as mines or apply directly and a grenade launcher to lob them over obstacles and around corners. There's an explosive for almost any situation, even indoors.

One nifty trick I learned while replaying is that Coolie Ghosts are invincible to bullets when they're forming, but can be killed with one sword swipe before they can move or attack. So if you drop a Coolie with something that doesn't gib it, you can close in and hack the ghost to bits before it can become a threat.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wild T posted:

One nifty thing with Shadow Warrior's explosive weapons (and a subtle hint as to how often to use them) is the sheer amount of flexibility you have when it comes to deploying them. You've got dumb fire rockets for concentrating them directly towards a target of choice, heat seekers for run and gun crowd control, sticky bombs to deploy as mines or apply directly and a grenade launcher to lob them over obstacles and around corners. There's an explosive for almost any situation, even indoors.

One nifty trick I learned while replaying is that Coolie Ghosts are invincible to bullets when they're forming, but can be killed with one sword swipe before they can move or attack. So if you drop a Coolie with something that doesn't gib it, you can close in and hack the ghost to bits before it can become a threat.

Usually I keep a rocket or two when I'm almost out just for Coolies. One rocket will gib them, preventing the ghost from ever being able to spawn in.

Also, I've found that grenade stacking makes the sticky bomb a lot more powerful. What I do is stick a bomb on a target, then throw down another bomb right afterwards. When the bomb on the enemy blows, the explosion will detonate the sticky on the floor, essentially doing double damage. Two bombs going off at once can gib an enemy with medium HP, like Coolies and stronger ninjas. Good for saving rockets if you're low or just want to try something different.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 25, 2013

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Almost every major FPS released in 1998 and 1999 has aged very well. Unreal 1 and Half-Life 1 are still some of the best single-player FPS games out there, SiN is basically the true sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 99 are the apex of the Quake-style multiplayer FPS, and Team Fortress Classic is a blast to play.

Aside from the low-poly character models, UT99 is still a legitimately good-looking game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Seriously. I find it difficult to believe anyone can dislike The Longest Yard. It's a fantastic map.

Its not just fantastic, its THE map. Q3DM17:The Longest Yard is the most quintessential Quake 3 map there is. When somebody mentions Quake Live, I immediately picture Q3DM17. Not that there aren't other great ones, but it always seems to come back to that map. Its just so perfect in so many ways.

Also what do you mean Q3 sniper sucked? Railgun instagib was the poo poo back in the day.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not just fantastic, its THE map. Q3DM17:The Longest Yard is the most quintessential Quake 3 map there is. When somebody mentions Quake Live, I immediately picture Q3DM17. Not that there aren't other great ones, but it always seems to come back to that map. Its just so perfect in so many ways.

Also what do you mean Q3 sniper sucked? Railgun instagib was the poo poo back in the day.

First of all, Campgrounds. Second of all, oh you like instagib. You are dead to me.

Just kidding, man. :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Essobie posted:

First of all, Campgrounds. Second of all, oh you like instagib. You are dead to me.

Just kidding, man. :D

Yeah Q3DM6 is probably the best pro map. But I'm not pro. Plus.... spaaaaaaaace.

I personally really like Q3CTF2 a lot.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 25, 2013

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Q3DM6 is probably the best pro map. But I'm not pro. Plus.... spaaaaaaaace.

I personally really like Q3CTF2 a lot.

I'm coming from the Clan Arena side of things, so the go-to map for that gamemode is Campgrounds for sure.

The really open void maps (like Longest Yard) just take one of the really cool things about FPS combat out of the running, and that's needing to predict where your target is (and where he/she is going to be). If you can just see everyone all the time... it's just so EMPTY.

And that's also my problem with high damage hitscan weapons. If you see someone you can damage them immediately. No prediction necessary (unless you had a 300+ ping in the late 90s, of course).

Obviously the Railgun/SniperRifle type weapon was going to be introduced to FPSes eventually, I just don't think they are very fun to deal with.

This of course doesn't mean I don't abuse the poo poo out of them when I find myself playing Quake(s).

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I love the idea of void maps. I've wanted to work on one for a while (same with a rats map). 5 years ago I was working on a HL2DM map set in a void, like a floating combine platform, but I was hating the layout and it was a bit out of my reach skill wise. I should revisit that, but it would be for satisfying a creative vision rather than a level people can play and enjoy.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 25, 2013

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i'm not to proud to admit i gave up on shadow warrior on like level 2 because the hitscan enemies pissed me off. me, the guy who loves Blood above all other 2.5d shooters.
This is the reverse of how it went with me. I think Blood is great and made it decently far (I beat the spider boss) but eventually gave up because the difficulty felt like bullshit a lot. Shadow Warrior usually felt more fair than Blood to me and I actually beat the base game (which I still haven't done for Duke3D and Blood.)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
No love for Dredwerkz/Q3DM12? It was one of the best maps for pubs. It had every weapon and lots of layouts to mess around it. It was one of my favorites back when I played Quake Live.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I think the reason that era of fps has aged so well is that they're focused more on providing entertaining mechanics to master rather than trying to emulate the real world like most modern FPS games. IMO Quake was the birth of that sort of dynamic, because it introduced more player physics and really rewarded mastery of motion, even if the rules governing that motion were unrealistic and flawed (eg bunnyhopping). But the flaws really added to the fun factor of the gameplay. It's a fun game played 'normally' but a real blast played at 100mph skipping from explosion to explosion like a stone on the most awesome lake in history.

I think the reason painkiller worked so well (and why bulletstorm and hard reset to an extent failed) is in understanding that philosophy. Not whether something makes that much sense, but whether it's fun or not.

Those sorts of player physics mechanics really raise the skill ceiling of a game. You can be a great cod player by being able to click on people's faces. It takes a whole lot more to get good at quake.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

I think the reason that era of fps has aged so well is that they're focused more on providing entertaining mechanics to master rather than trying to emulate the real world like most modern FPS games. IMO Quake was the birth of that sort of dynamic, because it introduced more player physics and really rewarded mastery of motion, even if the rules governing that motion were unrealistic and flawed (eg bunnyhopping). But the flaws really added to the fun factor of the gameplay. It's a fun game played 'normally' but a real blast played at 100mph skipping from explosion to explosion like a stone on the most awesome lake in history.

I might be wrong but I don't think bunny hopping was intended. It was just a flaw with the games physics.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

SaucyLoggins posted:

I might be wrong but I don't think bunny hopping was intended. It was just a flaw with the games physics.

He did say they were flawed in that very sentence.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Those sorts of player physics mechanics really raise the skill ceiling of a game. You can be a great cod player by being able to click on people's faces. It takes a whole lot more to get good at quake.

CoD really requires far less skill to play than most shooters, on purpose. Its an "everybody has fun and wins" game, not a tournament skill game. The irony is that all the fans treat it like the latter. :laugh: But you have these walled arenas, slower move speed, random spawns, random accuracy hitscan weapons with not that much variation between them, progression rewards (perks) for play time instead of skill, etc. etc. But by using the image of "realism" (yeah right) they get away with it and people don't notice the balance changes so much.

CoD is like the opposite of Quake3. There's few shooters out there that make it so immediately obvious when you're out of your league as Quake3.

Most games like Halo fall more in the middle (Sadly Halo4 kinda hosed it up). But post-MW CoD is really pretty skill-less.
Comparing Counter-Strike with Modern Warfare its crazy how different they are. (I'm not really huge into either, but I can see the appeal and I play them from time to time)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was a flaw, but it became so integral to the game that when Carmack announced that it was going away as a side effect of general bug-fixing there was enough backlash to make him artificially re-create it.

This sort of thing used to be a lot more common. Tribes skiing was also unintentional.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I posted about Half Life 1 a few pages back, and I think the game half-holds up. The awkward platforming and "random explosions taking off chunks of health" trial and error gameplay make it a little creaky around the edges. The atmosphere and variety remain immaculate though.

Doom is the game that has aged incredibly well. I missed playing the original when I was growing up (my parents gave me Dark Forces as a compromise) and somehow never caught back up until two years ago.

Cue me, in a foreign country, without a console gaming system. My only computer is a rickety MacBook. I buy Doom for five dollars and end up having a loving BLAST.

Smarter and more knowledgeable men than I have listed why the game holds up. But for me, its all about the purity. A lot of the things Half life and Duke and Quake did were more about showcasing off fancy new technology.

Doom was about shooting demons in the face, and everything came back to that original idea.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Narcissus1916 posted:

I posted about Half Life 1 a few pages back, and I think the game half-holds up. The awkward platforming and "random explosions taking off chunks of health" trial and error gameplay make it a little creaky around the edges. The atmosphere and variety remain immaculate though.

I feel like this isn't a huge deal because you can quicksave. In fact I really miss quicksaving. Like, a lot. The original Crysis was the last modern shooter to have quicksaves (to my knowledge). If I could hack every game to have quicksaves I would. Crysis 2 might be a good game but I'll never know because it's an exercise in frustration because the checkpoints are incredibly far apart and I refuse to play it on anything other than the hardest difficulty (which I realize is a bit strange)

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Narcissus1916 posted:

Smarter and more knowledgeable men than I have listed why the game holds up. But for me, its all about the purity. A lot of the things Half life and Duke and Quake did were more about showcasing off fancy new technology.

Doom was about shooting demons in the face, and everything came back to that original idea.

Doom sort of functioned as a tech demo too. It had multi-leveled floors and ceilings, sectional lighting, any-angle corners, and physics. They're just simple enough to feel less forced when used excessively.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So I just got back from the pub and thought "what the hell" and pre-ordered the new Shadow Warrior despite there being no reviews (although RPS have been very positive about the pre-release builds they've received). I guess it must have been the dildo bats that swayed me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Doom sort of functioned as a tech demo too. It had multi-leveled floors and ceilings, sectional lighting, any-angle corners, and physics. They're just simple enough to feel less forced when used excessively.
Yeah, it's kind of hard to imagine now, but Doom was kind of CRAZY back in the day, not just for having a detailed 3D world (Ultima Underworld and Bram Stoker's Dracula came out the same year, remember) but because it loving FLEW at a steady framerate on the average 486 while the other games I mentioned kind of chugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rather Dashing posted:

So I just got back from the pub and thought "what the hell" and pre-ordered the new Shadow Warrior despite there being no reviews (although RPS have been very positive about the pre-release builds they've received). I guess it must have been the dildo bats that swayed me.

If alcohol were to be banned worldwide, I think Steam would suddenly see a massive decline in profits. In fact I think Steam should get a partnership with bars across the world in order to set up Steam kiosks inside the bars themselves.