Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was wondering how they put it out so fast (I think they were showing alpha screens a few months ago), but then read the reviews which basically said 'this is an updated AACW with a slightly less confusing interface and better graphics.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well of course, AGEOD's thing is making largely interchangeable games built on marginal iterations of their incredibly lovely and slow engine. They are basically the EA of wargames and should not be encouraged.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are the turn times at least better than other AGEOD games? (I'm guessing not really)

Jutland / Distant Guns question: I'm giving this game another shot to follow along with while I read through Castles of Steel, but I always mess up giving orders/course changes when commanding more than one ship at a time. As far as I know, the procedure should be:

1. Left-click the ship once to select it
2. Left-click the ship again to select the whole division
3. Right-click anywhere to bring up the context menu
4. Left-click the course change button
5. Your mouse will now lay out a path on the map. Point it in the direction you want and left-click
6. When the context menu comes back up, left-click on the "ships turn in sequence" button to preserve the battle line instead of "ships turn simultaneously"

But for some reason, this always causes just the lead ship to turn and the rest to wander off in the original course. I've instead resorted to sending the lead ship to take the new course, then issuing a "reform the line" order afterwards to get the rest to follow suit. Help with this interface?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

Help with this interface?

There is none, This is the worst interface known to Grog.

there is no way to get a battle line to turn as one, it seems to work as you describe. the next problem is when you want to get more than one squadron to do this - you have to give them orders individually!

its a real shame, its a great game when you're not slamming your head into the brick wall of an interface.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So the "ships turn in sequence" button essentially does nothing? poo poo.

I had already accepted that the interface is worse than HPS's Naval Campaigns, but then THAT game has such simple graphics and seems to be intent on hiding information from the player: There's no way to find out how far a ship is and damage is just this simple percentage-health metric unless you score a critical hit that blows up you/your target instantly. And there's no random battle generator.

On the other hand, the camera controls on Jutland are all on the right-hand side of the keyboard with no way to remap them, and you can't see firing arcs directly on the main view.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
I have seldom had any problems getting a squadron of ships to turn in sequence in Jutland (haven't played Distant Guns). Selecting the first ship and not the rest of the division and ordering it to turn usually works (I think) and "Division Turn By Succession" has worked just fine for me. If you want me to I can boot up the game after work and maybe see if I'm forgetting something important that you're also missing, but that'll probably have to wait until 5 PM Eastern.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

I have seldom had any problems getting a squadron of ships to turn in sequence in Jutland (haven't played Distant Guns). Selecting the first ship and not the rest of the division and ordering it to turn usually works (I think) and "Division Turn By Succession" has worked just fine for me. If you want me to I can boot up the game after work and maybe see if I'm forgetting something important that you're also missing, but that'll probably have to wait until 5 PM Eastern.

Hey, thanks! This works perfectly!

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I was in Civil War 2 beta and oh my god I had to correct the english on everything. Nice folks though. The tutorial is good.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I owe people turns they will be sent tonight. Sorry I am idiot who forgot to play them.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hey, thanks! This works perfectly!

Glad to hear it! I knew there was some trick to doing it right.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
So I just got Commander: the Great War. Would anyone be up for a PBEM game? I don't have PM's, but my email is in the spreadsheet in the OP.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Morholt posted:

So I just got Commander: the Great War. Would anyone be up for a PBEM game? I don't have PM's, but my email is in the spreadsheet in the OP.

I'll take you up on that. Jakse just owned me again (:argh:) so I'm looking to start a new game. Will email in a bit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well now I have a dilemma. I got a $20 discount for Command:Modern Air Operations which comes out tomorrow because I participated in the beta. Except my participation consisted of setting up an FTP program and then going "lol, no" when the dl rate was 5kb/s.

So people who did participate: is this the Command Ops of the Air or... not?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So I decided to buy TOAWIII during the sale last week. Are there any essential patches/UI changes/whatever I should be using other than the AA patch? Is there any decent tutorial of the system?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Alchenar posted:

Well now I have a dilemma. I got a $20 discount for Command:Modern Air Operations which comes out tomorrow because I participated in the beta. Except my participation consisted of setting up an FTP program and then going "lol, no" when the dl rate was 5kb/s.

So people who did participate: is this the Command Ops of the Air or... not?

Not in the beta but I have been a little bit obsessed with this game since Baloogan told me about it on the last page. It really does look pretty ground-breaking.

Here's a recent post about some of the lengths they've gone to:
http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=1873

The thing is I've never bought a hardcore wargame before so I'm pretty sure it's gonna be the first time I experience that "it costs how much?!" feeling. I probably won't be able to afford it for a while. :(
And it's not like games like this have steam sales. :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is there a price yet? The Matrix page doesn't even have a release date.

e: This is the best blurb I've ever seen on a Matrix game page:

quote:

Modern warfare with all its technicalities scaring you away? Your staff & tactical AI sweat the details so you don’t have to. Aircraft position themselves to deliver their warloads optimally; Ships and subs maneuver on their own to reach out and touch the enemy (including winding their way around islands, landmasses and even known mines) – and everyone tries very hard to save his skin when bullets are flying. Manage the big decisions and let your virtual crews get to the details – and still intervene whenever you want.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

Is there a price yet? The Matrix page doesn't even have a release date.

e: This is the best blurb I've ever seen on a Matrix game page:

I'm expecting the discount to take the price down from 'go gently caress yourselves, Matrix' to 'this is a massive punt I'm really unhappy about taking without a demo'.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You've got a beta to demo with! :argh:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

You've got a beta to demo with! :argh:

No, I never downloaded it because it would have taken a year!

I'm perfectly willing to treat a beta as an actual work thing and not a free demo, but Matrix want to pretend that the internet hasn't changed since the 90's (as well as everything else).

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 23, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The game comes out tomorrow apparently, price TBA.

I should stop following this thread, all it does is introduce me to games I can't afford to buy.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

uPen posted:

The game comes out tomorrow apparently, price TBA.

I should stop following this thread, all it does is introduce me to games I can't afford to buy.

Matrix Games posted:

$79.99 download, $94.99 box + download

And I'm considering buying it despite this :negative:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Ugh, I knew it would be something like that, but I guess I was hoping maybe they'd see some sense. :(

Oh well, maybe it'll go down in a couple years (and be a better game by then?).

I know it's old news but I really think their business strategy is totally flawed. If they sold it for $15-20 and tried some kind of "hey how about trying a different kind of game, why not?" marketing campaign I bet they would make a killing, and find a whole new audience.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

fuf posted:

Ugh, I knew it would be something like that, but I guess I was hoping maybe they'd see some sense. :(

Oh well, maybe it'll go down in a couple years (and be a better game by then?).

I know it's old news but I really think their business strategy is totally flawed. If they sold it for $15-20 and tried some kind of "hey how about trying a different kind of game, why not?" marketing campaign I bet they would make a killing, and find a whole new audience.

I'd probably snap it up for $50 but $80 is ridiculous, especially without a demo or even the manual.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Damnit. The first time a ridiculously hardcore simulation wargame thing has grabbed my attention and it's so expensive I want to write Matrix Games a letter that says "Go gently caress yourself!" and spit in the envelope.

This is stupid. Really stupid. Guess I'll buy it in a couple years then.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Haha, I actually signed up just so I could get all righteous about the price in this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3397540&mpage=3&key=&#3416029

Obviously a waste of time, but I think we should all do it anyway. :v:

e: oh hey, upen already did.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

fuf posted:

Haha, I actually signed up just so I could get all righteous about the price in this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3397540&mpage=3&key=&#3416029

Obviously a waste of time, but I think we should all do it anyway. :v:

e: oh hey, upen already did.

It's not a battle we're gonna win but I don't have work this morning so gently caress it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
If you need testimonials, tell them I only jumped into Cross of Iron when Alchenar said it was on sale.

(And that that one is actually surprisingly easy to play--it's not that far a jump from more mainstream RTS/RTT, controls and UI wise.)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

If you need testimonials, tell them I only jumped into Cross of Iron when Alchenar said it was on sale.

(And that that one is actually surprisingly easy to play--it's not that far a jump from more mainstream RTS/RTT, controls and UI wise.)

That's because it's a hideously overpriced (by PC games market standards) remake of Close Combat 3.

The original Close Combat games were made by Atomic Games and they were sold as regular PC games at regular prices for the time. Then they disappeared and Matrix got ahold of the rights and basically acted like an evil version of gog.com - repackaging games that are a decade old and selling them at full AAA new-release price.

Close Combat III/Cross of Iron remains the best of all Close Combats, covering the most ground and with the best gameplay, so if you only buy one Close Combat game (and you should), get Cross of Iron.

e: oh god, once I start taking a pop at the Matrix guys I just can't stop

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 24, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I bought Distant Worlds and its first two expansions on a Christmas sale when it was 3-for-a-little-over-1.5. Otherwise I was NEVER going to buy it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm honestly surprised so many users on Matrix forums turned against their evil overlords.

On the other hand, I'm not surprised that Matrix immediately retreated behind the "Our pricing is based on empirics" defense. Apparently every other distributor ever got their data terribly wrong.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alchenar posted:

That's because it's a hideously overpriced (by PC games market standards) remake of Close Combat 3.

Close Combat III/Cross of Iron remains the best of all Close Combats, covering the most ground and with the best gameplay, so if you only buy one Close Combat game (and you should), get Cross of Iron.

I have no experience with CoI, but the original CC3 was terribly balanced. Tanks ruled supreme, even in Stalingrad, and in most eras there were some über tanks that would sweep the floor with all opposition. And the scale was small enough that just one indestructible Panther or KV could decide the battle and there was no air support system to get rid of them by a Stuka/Sturmovik strike.

Of the original pentalogy A Bridge Too Far (2) was the best one, as it had a well designed campaign and exciting battles that were seemingly lopsided yet amazingly tight, both against the AI and in LAN. In comparison The Russian Front (3) suffered from the aforementioned imbalance as well as teethless infantry (in addition to everything being too lethal even against dug in infantry, Soviet soldiers would frequently just rout upon seeing a panzer). Battle of the Bulge (4) and Invasion Normandy (5) had crappy Total War like campaign systems that didn't fix any of the shortcomings in the tactical portion of the system, especially the lackluster AI.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Well I was planning to make some effort post about Command but I still haven't bought it. Its really quite expensive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought A Bridge Too Far was the best of the CC series too - all the key maps/battles of Market-Garden (Cross of Iron needs about a dozen more maps to even begin to scratch the Eastern Front well) while keeping the simple campaign format that Bulge and Normandy made too complicated.

I learned more about small-unit tactics with Combat Mission, but CC's campaign system is a huge draw too.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Damnit. The first time a ridiculously hardcore simulation wargame thing has grabbed my attention and it's so expensive I want to write Matrix Games a letter that says "Go gently caress yourself!" and spit in the envelope.

This is stupid. Really stupid. Guess I'll buy it in a couple years then.

We are talking about a company which sells 10 year old games for full price. Your best chance will be the christmas sale, where it might go down to 50 bucks.

Honestly, if they did a sale of buy 5 games for 50 bucks I'd be all over that. They need to get to steam levels "But its such a deal!" prices.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
If the SSG games were going for 10 bucks instead of 20 I would probably buy all of them and not play them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ArchangeI posted:

We are talking about a company which sells 10 year old games for full price. Your best chance will be the christmas sale, where it might go down to 50 bucks.

Honestly, if they did a sale of buy 5 games for 50 bucks I'd be all over that. They need to get to steam levels "But its such a deal!" prices.

They literally believe that developers are discovering that the Steam model actually screws small developers (because Steam is all about selling lots of copies and not about profit for devs, supposedly) and that therefore they are morally justified in their high prices because it helps make more money for the devs.

This is a thing they literally bought up before as a defense for their prices.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Baloogan posted:

Well I was planning to make some effort post about Command but I still haven't bought it. Its really quite expensive.

Well I hope someone buys it, just because it would be nice to get a reliable goon opinion.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Tomn posted:

They literally believe that developers are discovering that the Steam model actually screws small developers (because Steam is all about selling lots of copies and not about profit for devs, supposedly) and that therefore they are morally justified in their high prices because it helps make more money for the devs.

This is a thing they literally bought up before as a defense for their prices.

It has gotten to the level of religious dogma. In an interview, they even claimed that lower prices lead to lower sales (millions of economists go "wat"), and that a high price is necessary to make people work through the terrible UIs. Because if you buy a game for ten bux and it turns out to be poo poo, you shelf it. If you payed 70 bux for a game and the UI seems incomprehensible, you nonetheless keep working at it in order to wring some enjoyment out of it.

Meanwhile, the guys who made Unity of Command are quietly giggling to themselves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

To be fair, if you are trying to peddle the absolute crap that is 1/2-2/3 of the Matrix Catalogue then most of the time lower prices will mean lower revenue. It's that with the recent range from Panzer Corps/Unity of Command to Command Ops etc they actually have something they could take to the mainstream market.

The fact that they've gone to Steam and Valve have said 'sure, you just need to sell at this price' and they've walked away from that and assumed that Valve have no idea what they're talking about is ridiculous.

e: and yes, their sales strategy is literally based around pushing customers into a sunk cost/stockholm syndrome fallacy.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Their customers are grognards.