Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I can't think of what they're called, so my searching is failing miserably. What are the things called that you see like at doctor's offices on the door where you put files and stuff for the doctor? I'm looking for something similar to that so I can just put my work keyboard and mouse out of the way when I'm done. Would prefer something that attaches to a desk, but will take something that mounts on a wall as a secondary. Anybody have an idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Hangging/wall file.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Something like this?

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/wall-files/

e;fb

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Uh, they're hanging file folders I think, and that'd be wall hanging file holders potentially. But to get something big enough to handle a keyboard and mouse under your desk you might as well just go for a keyboard drawer. You could cheap out compared to most keyboard & mouse drawers because you're just using it for storage, so even something crappy like this one from Ikea would suffice for you. Unless your keyboard & mouse are wireless or have very long cords, I suspect putting them away down by your feet could cause problems with cord length.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I've seen this one at Ikea in person and it seems really durable, nice looking, and relatively easy to mount- but I don't think you'd be able to fit a keyboard/mouse in there.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

New additions to the desk:

(HE-400 and Modi/Magni)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

z06ck posted:

(HE-400 and Modi/Magni)

Your desktop looks like schiit.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Your desktop looks like schiit.
Yeah, I love schiit. :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I should get a Bifrost to match my Asgard, but I'm lazy and don't have golden ears to hear the difference between my soundcard's DAC and any external one.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Uh, they're hanging file folders I think, and that'd be wall hanging file holders potentially. But to get something big enough to handle a keyboard and mouse under your desk you might as well just go for a keyboard drawer. You could cheap out compared to most keyboard & mouse drawers because you're just using it for storage, so even something crappy like this one from Ikea would suffice for you. Unless your keyboard & mouse are wireless or have very long cords, I suspect putting them away down by your feet could cause problems with cord length.

The one Martytoof posted is basically what I was looking for. I have a galant so that drawer would work, but staples is closer so I could probably get one from there. I Just didn't know what they were called. thanks guys!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What are the table legs people get from Ikea when they roll their own desk? I have desk top surface already, just want some recommendations on legs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I haven't used them because my Jerker (yep) desk is indestructible so far, but I'd probably get these because they're adjustable, and kick out wide so they might be more stable: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40057457/

edit: It looks like these might only look adjustable, so I take it back.

edit 2: I need coffee. They're adjustable.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 23, 2013

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

z06ck posted:

(HE-400 and Modi/Magni)

What's the headphone stand?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's the worst banana holder I've ever saw!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

What are the table legs people get from Ikea when they roll their own desk? I have desk top surface already, just want some recommendations on legs.

After some reading I realized I need a Galant frame to go with the legs. I found a part number for the frame. 200.568.83, and a price of $30. From here: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/buying_guides/GALANT_desk_bg_080912.pdf Now for the dumbest question in the world. How can I order the frame? Putting in the part number of the frame in the search box on Ikea's website gives me nothing. If I put in the part number for the Signum cable organizer, it comes right up. What do I dooooo?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Coredump posted:

After some reading I realized I need a Galant frame to go with the legs. I found a part number for the frame. 200.568.83, and a price of $30. From here: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/buying_guides/GALANT_desk_bg_080912.pdf Now for the dumbest question in the world. How can I order the frame? Putting in the part number of the frame in the search box on Ikea's website gives me nothing. If I put in the part number for the Signum cable organizer, it comes right up. What do I dooooo?

I have pair of LERBERG trestles holding up my desk and they've been great. Really sturdy and stable, dirt cheap, nice looking (although I painted mine), and you don't need any special frame or attachment. Just lay a tabletop on them and you're done.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Coredump posted:

If you're near an Ikea, you can just go into the store and pick up the frame itself. Since it's a heavy piece, shipping may push the final price more than you're willing to spend (feels like it's about 10-15 lbs).

If you do go into the store, check out the As Is section first - I found the exact same frame for $5 there (perfect condition).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IUG posted:

That's the worst banana holder I've ever saw!
I've actually wondered why people would use a "real" headphone stand like above instead of a banana holder when the headphone stand compresses the earcup padding.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

titaniumone posted:

What's the headphone stand?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AE0IEHM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
A banana hangar makes as good a headphone stand.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

So does the corner of a desk.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I modified a banana hanger with a custom headphone sling made out of my Spring Break '99 banana hammocks.

Every time I put them on, it smells like my youth.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Josh Lyman posted:

I've actually wondered why people would use a "real" headphone stand like above instead of a banana holder when the headphone stand compresses the earcup padding.

I know I'd be worried about the sharp edge of the hook puncturing the headband padding if I was careless while hanging them up. I'd also be worried about the hook putting undue pressure in the middle of it and causing a permanent indentation there.

Also, my earpads compress themselves anyway when not being worn (Beyerdynamic DT 770), so that wouldn't really be an issue for me.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I just hang them on my desk lamp :shrug:

Although, now I realize they could smell like my youth, I yearn for a headphone hammock.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 5, 2021

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zorilla posted:

I know I'd be worried about the sharp edge of the hook puncturing the headband padding if I was careless while hanging them up. I'd also be worried about the hook putting undue pressure in the middle of it and causing a permanent indentation there.

This is exactly what it does. Depending on the material, it will even wear it away or puncture it over time.

I just lie my headphones on the desk now.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Thermopyle posted:

This is exactly what it does. Depending on the material, it will even wear it away or puncture it over time.

I was concerned about that too so I cut the hook off, bent it to a more suitable shape, and reattached it. It looks janky, but it works a lot better.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Thermopyle posted:

Living like poo poo.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Question for those of you with the Ikea Galant desks - A legs or T legs are better?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beejay posted:

Question for those of you with the Ikea Galant desks - A legs or T legs are better?

Both are equally sturdy, I think the T-legs are easier to level.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Both are equally sturdy, I think the T-legs are easier to level.

The A-legs aren't that bad to level, there are lines on each leg to mark the distance from the floor up until halfway up the leg.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
work, will get a home shot when its a little tidier.

Oh... The old dell on the floor is a footrest, actual PC is behind my monitors.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I believe it's called a Borgi (AKA The Cutest Dog In Existence)

respectfully disagree

without the red laser death eyes she is very cute

drukqs fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 24, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
From a couple of months ago:

Today

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 24, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I like to keep it clean.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Commander Keenan posted:

I like to keep it clean.

Nice cacodemon. Is that a robocop movie, or game?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nice improvement.

Does the whiteboard contain your plans for World domination?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Colonel Sanders posted:

Nice cacodemon. Is that a robocop movie, or game?

It's a "3D poster" of the original movie poster.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

My daughter recently broke the front of the drawer off and where the keyboard slides out obviously. Desk is old as poo poo though so just an excuse to replace it. Had it since about 2005.

RBX fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 25, 2013

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any table recommendations? I need something affordable and not horrible looking that can be easily mounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elderbean posted:

Any table recommendations? I need something affordable and not horrible looking that can be easily mounted.

If you're handy and have a workspace, router, sander, and saws, I'd say build it yourself. If not, I suggest the Ikea Vika system for something relatively low price that you can kit out to your liking.

Alternatively, the Gerton/Vika Byske is made to be wall-mounted, and includes the bracket. Bonus: actual wood (not necessarily a guarantee of all Vika products).

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 25, 2013