Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think, for me, "getting" this game was when I decided NOT to do that stuff, even though it is clearly the best decision.

Like, I just arrested my son. My lovely, lovely son. He has three 0s and two 4s for stats. He is literally a shittier character than his retarded cousin. (Who somehow has an eight stewardship!!!)

Worse, I'm playing as a Greek Doux, and my son is Dutch. (I had his genius mother teach him, figuring she'd give him some of her stats, and I could change his drat culture after he inherited. But nooooooo. He's just dumb.) Basically, there's every reason to just.... execute him, since he's in my prison.

But I look at that "My opinion of [my son] thing, and it says 100. 100. My dude loves his son.

Sure, I, a heartless, impassionate player can kill the poo poo out of him, but can my character, who is kind and generous and truly loves his gently caress-up son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I can totally understand that and once I've actually got more than a few decades into a game I'll hopefully do the same.

I'll rationalise it for now by pointing to the fact my guy is a flamboyant schemer. He's gotta go big or go home so free knives for everyone.

:ese:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think, for me, "getting" this game was when I decided NOT to do that stuff, even though it is clearly the best decision.

Like, I just arrested my son. My lovely, lovely son. He has three 0s and two 4s for stats. He is literally a shittier character than his retarded cousin. (Who somehow has an eight stewardship!!!)

Worse, I'm playing as a Greek Doux, and my son is Dutch. (I had his genius mother teach him, figuring she'd give him some of her stats, and I could change his drat culture after he inherited. But nooooooo. He's just dumb.) Basically, there's every reason to just.... execute him, since he's in my prison.

But I look at that "My opinion of [my son] thing, and it says 100. 100. My dude loves his son.

Sure, I, a heartless, impassionate player can kill the poo poo out of him, but can my character, who is kind and generous and truly loves his gently caress-up son?

Give him a bishopric and forget about him?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I had a game that just entered utter chaos because I didn't look at who my heir was married to.

Started off well, with a God-Queen as my heir (modded the game for everyone to start in Cognatic, ruler created Norse Jarl of Holland):

And my realm just before my starting guy died (making a small profit at peace, large deficit at war):

Linda lived to a ripe old age, and greatly expanded the realm:

Her heir was a grandson, who was the King of Denmark and the Fylkir. So when he inherited, it joined the two Norse realms together, and all was good.

Except then I was wondering why he had only a single kid, and took a look at his wife:

His aunt. 51 year old aunt to be precise. With terrible stats. So I divorced her, but many of the Dukes are also family. So now everyone hates me, and I'm going to have decades of war because of this. I think I'm going to go full crazy and just revoke every single title, and then hand them out to brand new vassals, that aren't of my bloodline. This all could have avoided if I had just stabbed his wife before my previous ruler died, but whatever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

quote:

Give him a bishopric and forget about him?
Unfortunately, it's too late. I wanted to do that when he was still my lovely Grandson, but that character died before his murder plot succeeded.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Seriously though, is it actually possible to start Cognatic without cheating or being Basque (Which doesn't seem to exist early in the game).

I suppose it's not all bad though, I've got some decent sons coming out the woodwork too, it's just that it's the difference between "Decent" and "Holy poo poo I could take over the world" it seems :(

That said, I finally have undisputed rule over Ireland :toot:, that Super Count that was irritating me got a Rebellion event, and both sides basically killed each-other, so I just sat back, waited for the smoke to clear, then vassalized the both of 'em.

I've got my newest son bethored to the heir of the Kingdom of Wessex, so that'll give me a toehold in England, but Scotland's been bros with me so far (And the king is my dude's brother in law), I don't want to piss them off, especially as neither of us will win.

I'm thinking of punching a few Norse counties that he missed though to start worming my way into Scotland though.

Incidentally, how do I check how close I am to forming Britannia? Because Francia formed Really loving fast and I keep hearing horror stories of blue blobs swarming over the channel if you're not careful.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

nutranurse posted:

I think you PM'd me on the Paradox forums about this? I was the one who updated that mod for CK2+ and am gonna have to do it again. I have no clue what's causing the HRE and Byzantium to gently caress up their COA's. It's looking like I'm going to have to re-merge the landed_titles.txt and titular_titles.txt from scratch (again) since the CK2+ team seems to have decided not to include the mod.

I'll try to get around to it this weekend, it's a pretty time-consuming and tedious thing to do. It's mostly copy and pasting work of the worst kind.

Yeah I can imagine. I took a look at the coding and I couldn't figure it out either. Regardless, I (and hopefully others) appreciate you taking the time to improve the game for us.

*and yeah that was me.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

nutranurse posted:

I'll try to get around to it this weekend, it's a pretty time-consuming and tedious thing to do. It's mostly copy and pasting work of the worst kind.

The new version of CK2+ added a couple of new titles and generally made some structural changes to landed_titles, it's _possible_ that they interacted with the weird way the game determines flags/COAs is causing the fuckups.

I used your/echopapa's changes in my personal mod (mostly - I removed most of the kingdom-level cultural names for a couple of reasons) and I seem to have already made the necessary tweaks to make it work again myself, so I've thrown my changes into this zip file for anyone who wants to use or tweak them.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 25, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Divorcing old/lesbian wives is very important. Divorce them with a knife. I lost a good 30 years of getting busy by not checking my ruler's marriage. It felt bad because she really liked me. She just didn't like me like me.

Alectai posted:

Incidentally, how do I check how close I am to forming Britannia? Because Francia formed Really loving fast and I keep hearing horror stories of blue blobs swarming over the channel if you're not careful.

Hover over the Create button for it. Every empire I've seen is always 80% plus some religious/cultural/both requirement.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Man, the Bysantines may be easy-mode, but it sure as hell is fun playing as the Basileios!

I was well on my way with conquering all of Sicily, with only the county of Apulia left outside my realm. It belonged to the kingdom of Italy, which I had a truce with, so I was just waiting there patiently for him to finish his clusterfuck of a civil war so I could usurp the duchy. Suddenly I noticed the county changing color. Neat! It's independent. Of course I pounced right on it with my 2500 strong retinue.

To my surprise I noticed the county had somehow fallen into the hands of a blind woman. Soon enough, I managed to capture her husband, but apparently they had some problems with their marriage since she wasn't willing to ransom him back. Once the county was mine I decided it was my duty as their lord to help them patch things up, so I blinded him too, and now they have something in common :3:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is it always a good idea to shut down a plot? If someone is plotting to do something that I would just do myself, can I just let it run its course and see if they succeed? Is there a way to join a plot that your vassals are involved in?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

I don't think I've ever had to deal with such an ironclad defence.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

In CK2+, how long do the Jewish Khazars last normally? I think this is the first game I've played when they've lasted this long, specifically from the start to the current date of 1030. Apart from the usually gavelkind succession tearing them into four kingdoms (Khazar, Crimea, Alania, and Cumania I think) they're still going strong. On another note, Suomenusko is the last major pagan religion and just formed the kingdom of Novgorod so I am rooting for them to reform the faith.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Captain Novolin posted:

Is it always a good idea to shut down a plot? If someone is plotting to do something that I would just do myself, can I just let it run its course and see if they succeed? Is there a way to join a plot that your vassals are involved in?

No! Absolutely not. If they're plotting against someone else, they cannot start a plot against you. What's more, imprisoning and then releasing a vassal's vassal means you get a free +10 opinion malus with every single one of your vassals -- and because they're landed they can't flee to another court, so you can just keep trying to imprison them with impunity. (It'll tank their reputation of you, but who cares? Since they're not your direct vassal they don't pay taxes/grant levies to you.) If you have auto-stop plots on then you won't have some random bishop available to do this on at a moment's notice after your unexpected succession left your 5-year old daughter in charge, leaving you with a desperate need to improve relations.

Unfortunately no, you can't join a vassal's plot unless they invite you, and I have no idea what makes them ask you to join or not.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Flython posted:

I think I just 'got' CK2. Running as the count of Oriel and I am just stabbing dudes left and right. Half brothers, powerless claimants and courtiers with just a little bit of money have all been killed and if my weak child doesn't die from poor physique he's going to be next.

I love what this game does to me.

CK2 only 'clicked' for me in multiplayer. In SP, I was and still am fine with losing a kingdom to an usurper, or just letting bygones be bygones, but in MP, oh man. Paranoia sets in fast, and I spend the whole game envious of other players' realms and killing off their best kids.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

It's usually NOT a good idea to shut down a plot, unless it directly concerns you or someone you like, or you have a specific reason to want to stop the plot from succeeding (i.e., preventing a too-powerful duke from usurping more territory via plots). Imprisoning them or asking them to stop the plot will give them an opinion penalty against you, and usually won't benefit you any.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Main Paineframe posted:

It's usually NOT a good idea to shut down a plot, unless it directly concerns you or someone you like, or you have a specific reason to want to stop the plot from succeeding (i.e., preventing a too-powerful duke from usurping more territory via plots). Imprisoning them or asking them to stop the plot will give them an opinion penalty against you, and usually won't benefit you any.

Are you sure about the opinion penalty bit? I know you get a +50(!) modifier from telling a supporter (i.e. not the person who started the plot) to stop backing one, provided they're in your court or your vassal, and you get a -50 with anyone you catch plotting. But I didn't think telling someone to end a plot gave them a negative opinion of you. Could be wrong though.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So, I'm trying to mod in a global subjugate CB that allows you to usurp the highest title of any of your neighbours and add the target kingdom/duchy into your realm (it's an experiment). I've adapted this from the currently existing Pagan subjugation, but I can't get it to work. It doesn't usurp anything when you win, simply adding prestige/piety and leaving the target realm intact and independent. I've clearly done something wrong in the script, but I have no idea how to fix it.

http://pastebin.com/LLKbT6qa

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's always interesting to go into a game promising yourself to roleplay, and them get handed a Kind Just Impaler as your second character. I'm like a father to all my vassals, unless I catch them being sneaky. Then I transform into the most tough-on-crime sumbitch the world has ever seen. The number of scheming patricians who've fled to Venice to escape my wrath has made my nephew's election prospects substantially improved.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
So when did they change how likely/mechanics for Kingdoms/Empires dissolving? I am curious because my last couple games of both CK+ and Vanilla have involved several Kingdoms and the HRE all just disappearing fairly early.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ofaloaf posted:

CK2 only 'clicked' for me in multiplayer. In SP, I was and still am fine with losing a kingdom to an usurper, or just letting bygones be bygones, but in MP, oh man. Paranoia sets in fast, and I spend the whole game envious of other players' realms and killing off their best kids.

You guys still do multiplayer from time to time? Work cut my hours to 5 a week, which is bad for my wallet, but leaves my CK2 schedule surprisingly open. Or will in a couple of days, rather.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So when did they change how likely/mechanics for Kingdoms/Empires dissolving? I am curious because my last couple games of both CK+ and Vanilla have involved several Kingdoms and the HRE all just disappearing fairly early.

I think it's less a measure for how they changed the mechanics for empires dissolving, so much as they made peasant/liberation revolts have a lot more teeth than they used to, and they also added adventurers.

So basically, Independence wars aren't necessarily immediately crushed like they used to be.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I think I've hit peak CK2 now that my duke continues to impregnate his blind, castrated son's wife and also manages to convince his son that the kids are his.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think it's less a measure for how they changed the mechanics for empires dissolving, so much as they made peasant/liberation revolts have a lot more teeth than they used to, and they also added adventurers.

So basically, Independence wars aren't necessarily immediately crushed like they used to be.

Well yeah, I get that, but the thing is that the empires/kingdoms just completely cease to exist. Like the title just goes vacant.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

nutranurse posted:

So I think I've hit peak CK2 now that my duke continues to impregnate his blind, castrated son's wife and also manages to convince his son that the kids are his.

Either your Duke is the most silver-tongued man ever to live, or your son is a loving moron.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I've never seen such a high plot%. Poor kid, everyone hated him.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Either your Duke is the most silver-tongued man ever to live, or your son is a loving moron.

No dude, he's blind, so he doesn't know he's been castrated. :pseudo:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

No dude, he's blind, so he doesn't know he's been castrated. :pseudo:

What, did he sleep through it?

"Mmmrmmm? Huh. Bad dreams last night. Kinda sore, too..."

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I choose to believe that the gelded son doesn't actually think the kids are his, he's just convinced that the dynasty needs to grow somehow. He's probably in on it, which is even more hosed up and weird.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

nutranurse posted:

"It's a miracle! Another virgin birth! Son, me and your wife are going to go celebrate this joyous occasion in my bedroom."

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I mean it is possible for castrated characters to produce kids in CK2.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I think the only thing I've had remotely comparable, was my King of England who fathered three children with my sons wife, before his brothers both did as well and he became known as Henry the Cuckold. Made worse when his *son* hosed his third wife and fathered his own step-brother.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think the only thing I've had remotely comparable, was my King of England who fathered three children with my sons wife, before his brothers both did as well and he became known as Henry the Cuckold. Made worse when his *son* hosed his third wife and fathered his own step-brother.

In terms of weird poo poo like that there was a multiplayer game where my son left to join Varangian Guard and ended up becoming the Chancellor of Mali, marrying a gay black princess and returned many years later having learned all about "Greek Love".

Also he spent his whole time in Mali plotting to murder me.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there some weird skill level wrap-around thing where high level characters become inept? My 22 Diplomacy chancellor spent over a decade trying and failing to fabricate me a claim there. I moved him over to Kildare and he had one for me in like 6 months so I have no idea. Does picking them up and putting them back where they were do anything?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
He was probably successfully finding ways to fabricate the claim, but the local lord was paying him to not do it.

I bet he had a suspiciously high amount of money for a Chancellor.

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.

Veryslightlymad posted:

He was probably successfully finding ways to fabricate the claim, but the local lord was paying him to not do it.

This. If its taking more than a few years to get a claim with a good Chancellor chances are he is on the counties payroll. Just get used to moving him around once in a while.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Well it took me two months but I finally got to the end of my Roman Empire game, to convert it to EU4. It took a further two days to do that and tweak it to a sensible state, but it's finally ready to go:

Now the big question is, who to play?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Reveilled posted:

Now the big question is, who to play?

Well, Uzbek, obviously.

EDIT: Wait, how did the Norse religion get over to North America?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is almost always the explanation for extended failed fabrication of claims if you have a high-skill chancellor, basically. One bribe from the local lord lasts years, so you should make a habit of switching your chancellor around if they don't get the claim within a reasonable time frame. It's just a good idea.

Edit: Also a good idea is bribing the chancellor, if you're on the other side of the event. This happens pretty often in Ireland and other divided areas. Killing the chancellor often seems like the better bet, but you'll be safe from a claim for much longer with a bribe.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrSunshine posted:

Well, Uzbek, obviously.

EDIT: Wait, how did the Norse religion get over to North America?

Modding explanation: I was doing some cleanup on various tags, making some states on the periphery of the CK2 map either Christian or Norse as appropriate, and noticed that the East Coast americans get converted as Aztec in their state religion but Shamanist in their province religion. I didn't want to leave it like that, so the choices were either make them fully Aztec or make them Shamanist again. But those are both boring, so gently caress it, Norse Indians.

Bullshit Historical explanation: When the plagues from Europe arrived in America, the tribes of the Northeast were amongst the worst hit. Aztec and Inca had enough internal cohesiveness and strong enough quarantines to weather the destruction, but the close proximity of European traders took a heavy toll on the confederations of the north. With the complete loss of their trading partners, the Vinland colony itself collapsed, and the settlers of Vinland began a Great Trek south to the St Lawrence river, then inland, where they ran into the Iroquis and Huron tribes, who were taking refugees and then pressing them into service as members of their confederacies in what was a steadily escalating and progressively bloodier war between the two.

The Vinlanders, having traded with both the Aztecs and Europeans, had the necessary knowledge to help the Huron and Iroquis set up quarantines, and their arrival on the scene as a group comparable in size to both confederations (taking into account the deaths of 90% of both native groups) forced tensions to calm between the warring groups. The Vinlanders themselves were composed primarily of warriors, ocean-going fisherman and traders, and so realising that they had no real chance of surviving as a seperate group, joined the Huron and Iroquis in equal number to maintain the balance and help keep tensions eased. The religious beliefs of the Norse and the natives began to fuse over time, but with the adoption of the Runic alphabet and the translation of the Norse texts into the native languages, the syncretic faith had a very recognisably Norse character.

The Norse faith eventually became a powerful tool of unity in helping the tribes of the Northeast to resist the expansion of the Aztec Empire, as news from across the sea brought back word that the gods had shown favour on the Daughters of the Gods (the empresses of Rome and Scandinavia, now partially mythologised as immortal demigods due to the lack of contact between the inland tribes and Europe*) and turned back the grand armies of the Aztec Emperor before he could establish more than the barest of footholds on the lands across the ocean. Norse slaves, escaping from the Aztecs' gulf colonies, confirmed the stories to to the Shawnee and Cherokee, paving the way for their conversion to the Norse faith, in the hopes that someone, anyone, would deliver them from the heart-eaters to the south.

And that's why the inland tribes of North America are Norse Pagan.

*Though in fairness the Fylkjas of Scandinavia used Enatic succession and included claims to being the metaphorical daughters of the Gods in their titles, and the Empress of Rome was in fact a time travelling immortal cyborg pretending to be an Angel, so really not far off the mark.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 26, 2013

• Locked thread