Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Anyone know any good Wonder Woman elseworlds? I suspect she's harder to change up since her origin isn't as straightforward or iconic as Batman or Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Blue Amazon is great, because all three of the Film Trilogy are great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There was one where she was in like 19th Century England or something like that and ended up being like a progressive Women's Rights hero. I think it's Wonder Woman : Amazonia.

I remember it being pretty decent.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It was a bit of a retread of Gotham by Gaslight, and the villain is Jack The Ripper AGAIN.

EDIT: Wonder Woman is pretty much the main character of Justice Riders, which is basically Cowboy JLI and owns bones.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Always find it annoying that in elseworlds Wonder Woman always seems to end up with Superman if Lois is killed or whatever.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Always find it annoying that in elseworlds Wonder Woman always seems to end up with Superman if Lois is killed or whatever.

And/or she goes nuts and buys into some sort of totalitarian philosophy. (Red Son, Whom Gods Destroy etc.)

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Hollis posted:

That sounds loving awesome. I'm assuming it wasn't very good?

I liked it when it came out, it had a Conan/Road Warrior vibe -- but that was maybe 15 years ago, so I can't remember it too well anymore. I think it was written by Peter David, who's rarely bad, so draw your own conclusion. It was called was something like "The Dying Earth" if you want to hunt through the back issue bins to find it.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Roark posted:

And/or she goes nuts and buys into some sort of totalitarian philosophy. (Red Son, Whom Gods Destroy etc.)

She does this a lot, isn't she on Superman's side in Injustice? I guess it's the Greek God influence. And Injustice is actually Batman's nightmare after he gave Clark the complete Miracleman in a Secret Santa.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WickedHate posted:

Actually, now I kind of do want to see a story where Sue confronts TV Tropes dweeps who obsess over her daughter.
FF had something close!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

picosecond posted:

I liked it when it came out, it had a Conan/Road Warrior vibe -- but that was maybe 15 years ago, so I can't remember it too well anymore. I think it was written by Peter David, who's rarely bad, so draw your own conclusion. It was called was something like "The Dying Earth" if you want to hunt through the back issue bins to find it.

Shouldn't that be "The Drying Earth"?

:rimshot:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Dying Earth was actually a sort of non-event event where a bunch of DC books had micro-Elseworlds where the Earth is hosed. There was one with Deathstroke becoming the unwilling leader of humanity that I remember being pretty good. Imagine the episode of Justice League where Superman's shot into the future with Vandal Savage, but with Deathstroke stabbing bugs.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
As it turns out, DC Nation had a series of shorts, one of which is essentially an Elseworlds bit, The Bat Man of Shanghai. It looks loving great. It doesn't have a whole lot of substance to it (it is only three minutes all together, after all), but drat it looks nice. I would read/watch it if they did something more with it.

All three shorts are on DC's official Youtube, so I'm assuming it's safe to post links:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Anyone know of Superman elseworlds where he doesen't just land elsewhere?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Anyone know of Superman elseworlds where he doesen't just land elsewhere?

The previously mentioned two-parter from the year of Elseworld's Annuals.
Son of Superman
Superman Distant Fires
Kingdom Come.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Technically he doesn't land in a different spot in The Nail, the Kent's just don't find him.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
The sequel to The Liberty File, The Unholy Three kind of falls into the "Superman doesn't land elsewhere/earlier" category, I guess. It's different since Superman isn't actually Clark, he's Zod.

Fake edit: spoilered for anyone who hasn't read it. That twist is great.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Distant Fires seems to be an attempt to out stupid JLA: Act Of God. Instead of God taking all the powers, it's just a nuclear war. And it turns out Joker's insanity is cured by the nukes because it's a superpower for some reason.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Distant Fires seems to be an attempt to out stupid JLA: Act Of God. Instead of God taking all the powers, it's just a nuclear war. And it turns out Joker's insanity is cured by the nukes because it's a superpower for some reason.

The Joker thing I was fine with. It wasn't that he was cured by everyone loosing their powers.

More that all of society had collapsed. All order was gone. And witnessing so much death shocked the Joker back to some semblance of sane.

It is important to note that this was a early (90's) era story, so it was before DC really started pushing the Joker as a crazy, spree killer. Back then he was just a criminal and murderer, and had some hope for rehabilitation.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Obviously the Joker realized that the insane reaction to the ultimate destruction of the planet Earth was to become sane.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

The Joker thing I was fine with. It wasn't that he was cured by everyone loosing their powers.

More that all of society had collapsed. All order was gone. And witnessing so much death shocked the Joker back to some semblance of sane.

It is important to note that this was a early (90's) era story, so it was before DC really started pushing the Joker as a crazy, spree killer. Back then he was just a criminal and murderer, and had some hope for rehabilitation.

The timeline in that book was all over the place. In the year or so since the end of the world Big Barda and Scott Free managed to have ten year old looking kids, Billy Bastion had grown to be the same age as Captain Marvel (it had to be Billy because later he turns into Marvel, and he and Wonder-Woman were dating), and after he leaves in five years or something Marvel has three full grown children.

Oh and then the Earth literally blows up like Krypton because nuclear war can do that.

Pretty much all of the non mutant survivors we see (aside from the Joker) are metahumans. The logic I think was that invulnerable characters would have a better chance of living through the war and the resulting radiation. That is fine. But a lot of the metahumans in the colony aren't invulnerable or in any way known to have radiation resistance. And after the war everyone loses their powers. One, what's protecting them after that? Two, why do magical characters lose their powers? I guess you could say that Captain Marvel needed the Rock Of Eternity which could have been destroyed but the others?

Later for some reason Marvel regains his powers just by saying Shazam over and over. And this brings back everyone else's powers as well.

Oh and I found a audio drama version of Kingdom Come!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also, not only is Billy a dick, but while he's with Wonder Woman, Superman wanders over. Wonder Woman is immediately hot for Superman to the point of pissing off Billy more. Why is she instantly attracted to this guy, when she's supposedly been with Billy for a while? Are we really supposed to find that relationship to be "romantic", instead of the way it comes off as her using this poor guy as a stand-in for years?

The entire book is terrible. Oh, and on the subject of Joker's sanity being a result of everyone losing their powers? When Billy's super special lightning bolt starts returning powers, Joker goes nuts again. No exposition, there's just him being nuts in a panel. Apparently we're supposed to assume his insanity IS a power here.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Oh, and on the subject of Joker's sanity being a result of everyone losing their powers? When Billy's super special lightning bolt starts returning powers, Joker goes nuts again. No exposition, there's just him being nuts in a panel. Apparently we're supposed to assume his insanity IS a power here.

That could almost be interesting if you did it right. Not so much that his power is that he's insane, but that he just kind of emits some low level reality warping radiation or something. Like there's just this aura around him that subverts the reality around him. In a world of mostly order, he is a living agent of chaos. In a world gone mad, he's a voice of reason. It would almost be like if you tossed Longshot& Scarlet Witch in a blender and painted the result purple. How does he narrowly avoid death time and time again to keep coming back to antagonize the world? Superhuman luck and the ability to slightly alter the world around him to make his situation survivable.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also, not only is Billy a dick, but while he's with Wonder Woman, Superman wanders over. Wonder Woman is immediately hot for Superman to the point of pissing off Billy more. Why is she instantly attracted to this guy, when she's supposedly been with Billy for a while? Are we really supposed to find that relationship to be "romantic", instead of the way it comes off as her using this poor guy as a stand-in for years?

The entire book is terrible. Oh, and on the subject of Joker's sanity being a result of everyone losing their powers? When Billy's super special lightning bolt starts returning powers, Joker goes nuts again. No exposition, there's just him being nuts in a panel. Apparently we're supposed to assume his insanity IS a power here.

Oh yeah and the ending. So the Earth is going boom and Superman has found Green Lantern's ring and power battery (apparently he didn't make it through the war) and flies home to his and Wonder Woman's kid. He then creates a spaceship construct for the kid to escape. In his narration he mentions that he could easily go with the boy, but he won't because the kid has to continue his "family buisness". So the son is needlessly shot into space alone without any training in how to maintain the spaceship or pilot it.

Also the Ayn Rand thread gave me an else world idea. Superman vs John Galt, Superman wins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also the Ayn Rand thread gave me an else world idea. Superman vs John Galt, Superman wins.

They already did Superman vs Lex Luthor, tho?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

They already did Superman vs Lex Luthor, tho?
That's rather insulting to Lex, don't you think?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Lex doesn't monologue *nearly* that much.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

That's rather insulting to Lex, don't you think?

Plus Lex invents his own stuff most of the time, as opposed to an objectivist who bravely pays scientists to do the work. Also here's a game, think up elseworld scenarios for heroes who rarely get them!

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 3, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also here's a game, think up elseworld scenarios for heroes who rarely get them!

What if Shazam only received the powers he could shout out at once? or along those lines, if someone is close, Billy yells "Sha!" and the other person yells "Zam!" do they split the powers? Kind of like when Captain Planet couldn't go back to normal because some of the kids were in space or some other bullshit reason.

What if Dr. Strange went on to be a faith healer using real magic? His dream, his end goal has always been to heal sick people. Now after receiving his magical training, he'd rather help people than fight the terror from beyond. And now he can magic away some things that science can't.

What if the Joker paralyzed Jim Gordon instead of Barbara? I really like this idea, because now maybe Batgirl goes on the rampage. She had some idea of the risks to herself when she put on the costume, but didn't realize how she'd react when her father gets crippled by some psycho.

What if Ultron never went rogue? I guess he'd just be Vision then, wouldn't he?

Did they do one where the Russian spy that sabotages Bruce Banner's experiment gets the Hulk powers instead? I know they did Rick Jones.

I'm pretty sure they took the Fantastic Four and added different powers, but did they ever do a real round robin with the same power set? So Ben gets stretchy, Sue goes rocky, Johnny goes invisible and Reed gets fire?

It's kind of hard to think up ideas (that are any good) that didn't either already happen or involve the B or C listers.

What if Daredevil could see? Lame. What if Hercules didn't punch Galactus in the dick? Lame. What if Superman was deathly lactose intolerant, but Clark Kent had to work on a dairy farm?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Actually Billy Bastion and his stable did have to share the power. Basically if Billy and Mary were both in Marvel form they'd each have half the power they would if only one was using it. A few times they had to decide whether a villain could be better dealt with by one of them at full power or by numbers. Doesen't seem to apply now since Grim Terrible Billy can give his entire foster family powers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Actually Billy Bastion and his stable did have to share the power. Basically if Billy and Mary were both in Marvel form they'd each have half the power they would if only one was using it. A few times they had to decide whether a villain could be better dealt with by one of them at full power or by numbers. Doesen't seem to apply now since Grim Terrible Billy can give his entire foster family powers.

That wasn't always a thing, I think that only really happened during Jerry Ordway's 90s series. Certainly in the original Fawcett comics the power was simply duplicated, not split like a battery charge.

And for the love of Zeus, it's Billy Batson.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

McSpanky posted:

And for the love of Zeus, it's Billy Batson.

drat you autocorrect.

Also not less known characters but it literally just popped into my head, what if Bruce Wayne washed up on Paradise island instead of Steve Trevor.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

I'm pretty sure they took the Fantastic Four and added different powers, but did they ever do a real round robin with the same power set? So Ben gets stretchy, Sue goes rocky, Johnny goes invisible and Reed gets fire?

There was an issue that showed different stories based on the team all having the same power sets. They all became Human Torches and it worked out for a little bit until "everyone shoots fire" led to the obvious casualty and they split up. They all became stretchy and everyone but Reed thought it was the stupidest poo poo ever. Reed dove headfirst into science, Ben and Sue got together and Johnny became a celebrity. They all became monsters with Sue as Man-Thing and Reed flew them off to Monster Island to live the rest of the days. Then there's one where they each have a different aspect of Sue's powers and become agents of SHIELD, ultimately defeating Dr. Doom.

quote:

What if Hercules didn't punch Galactus in the dick?

That panel of Hercules punching Galactus in the dick actually is from a What If, with Hercules pissed off at how Swordsman showed more balls against Galactus than the Watcher.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also not less known characters but it literally just popped into my head, what if Bruce Wayne washed up on Paradise island instead of Steve Trevor.

Well I guess it depends why he's there and when. If it's still WWII then isn't he Batman and fighting the Axis? If so, does he crash his Batplane while he's in costume? That might give the Amazonians one hell of a culture clash. Or they think he's some agent of Hades.

I suppose it could be earlier, back when he was still globetrotting to learn all of his batman moves, but in that case, he's probably not bringing anything to the table that Steve didn't.

Gavok posted:

That panel of Hercules punching Galactus in the dick actually is from a What If, with Hercules pissed off at how Swordsman showed more balls against Galactus than the Watcher.

D'oh!

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Well I guess it depends why he's there and when. If it's still WWII then isn't he Batman and fighting the Axis? If so, does he crash his Batplane while he's in costume? That might give the Amazonians one hell of a culture clash. Or they think he's some agent of Hades.

I was imagining a period piece where Batman gets shot down by Nazis over Themyscira. Also has there ever been a Batman/Wonder Woman romance? To me that makes way more sense than her with Superman.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The Batman/Wonder Woman romance happened in the early 2000s. I remember it from the pages of JLA but I don't know if it spilled over into other titles.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
JLA cartoon, spilled into comics for a bit. It worked about as well as Superman Wonderwoman.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

JLA cartoon, spilled into comics for a bit. It worked about as well as Superman Wonderwoman.

But it did give us this glorious piece of art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zpDpTbAiw

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Billy Bastion.

Kid wakes up. There's lightning and thunder clear across the sky. Kid scampers across the earthbergs to the only safe place there is in a storm like this: a wizard's Bastion.

It's got everything you'd need to survive a Calamity like this. A distillery, under a big statue of Gluttony. An armory, underneath Wrath. And an old man who'd much rather be sittin' on a throne than on this uncomfortable ground. It's a Rock that'll be here clear to Eternity.

All I know is that odds are, Ura-Adam did this. All the kid knows is that he can't ever speak, because the only word that'd come out of his mouth would finish the job.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Welp, there's the best Elseworld that will never, ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

What if Daredevil could see? Lame.

They did that already. What If #34:

• Locked thread