Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Killer_Frost posted:

I didn't get to see the actual pattern on spoonflower. If it wasn't an exact copy of the carpet pattern then they haven't got a leg to stand on. It's similar but not the same...

They vectored the artwork directly off of photos of the carpet, I'm pretty sure. Either way, it's really irrelevant because Volpin himself said that the company was well within its rights to issue the c&d and he's totally fine with it.

e. Top of page! Here are some cool Diablo costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Where's the realistic version of that where it's a muscly dude without a shirt, wearing neon blue pants and a samurai helm while rapidly running about and twirling around and shouting every 15 seconds?

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

WaterIsPoison posted:

Here is the pattern they were selling, it's pretty close.

Ooh yeah that's a lot closer than it looks when it's been cut up for an outfit.

It is pretty funny that this is the thing he gets a letter on. Lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Killer_Frost posted:

Ooh yeah that's a lot closer than it looks when it's been cut up for an outfit.

It is pretty funny that this is the thing he gets a letter on. Lol

That's because when he makes a prop of something from a videogame, it's generally been made to order for a marketing display at a convention or whatever by the company that made the game in question. Otherwise they're probably first in line to ask "hey, can make one of those for our office?"

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Is that carpet pattern really common in the US or something? I mean why would you want to buy fabric to make camo for one very, very specific carpet?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Hydrolith posted:

Is that carpet pattern really common in the US or something? I mean why would you want to buy fabric to make camo for one very, very specific carpet?

If Dragoncon uses the same venues every year some people might make something to be their "Dragoncon gimmick costume" that they just wear at that one event.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Razorwired posted:

If Dragoncon uses the same venues every year some people might make something to be their "Dragoncon gimmick costume" that they just wear at that one event.

Oh, right. :doh:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's a cool idea and costume, but now it's been done. Why bother buying fabric just to copy the other costume?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's a cool idea and costume, but now it's been done. Why bother buying fabric just to copy the other costume?

Meta-cosplay.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yeah, pretty dumb. "Hey, remember when these other guys were witty and creative?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wendell posted:

Yeah, pretty dumb. "Hey, remember when these other guys were witty and creative?"

That does sum up nerd humor pretty well. :v:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
More than one con hall has flaming red carpet, right? It would be meta and still amusing to see carpet-stealth cosplay at other venues, and you'd be really hard pressed to sue over this pattern, conveniently available everywhere fabric is sold:

This year's C2E2 had an interesting "Legal Cosplay" panel from a team of Chicago lawyers that discussed the various legal issues of cosplay and intellectual property. On one hand, every action you make while in costume has the potential to reflect upon the owners of that IP. If some freak dresses up as Superman and runs around punching babies, concerned mothers may decide to boycott all DC products because that guy clearly went psycho. On the other hand, it's free advertising that tells everyone "I love this product SO MUCH that I spent hundreds of dollars and hours replicating it so you should probably check it out too." Or the brony fandom: wings, ears, and plushies are A-OK but fuckdolls most certainly aren't.

In Volpin's case, the carpet company wasn't losing anything by his cosplay alone, but no reasonable jury would think that design was generic. I'd bet it was specially designed just for that one convention facility and they paid a lot for it. It was entirely the replica fabric sale that could potentially hurt their profits or set a precedent for copies of other designs, so at least he's totally cool with the reasoning and stopped. There must be a thousand butthurt teenagers right now going "man that's totally lame, evil corporations won't ever share anything with the little guy!"

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Some more pictures of the Booth Babes at the Tokyo Game Show.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Edit:

Dammit, check for newer pages before posting.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Awesome cosplayers at Rose City Comic Con today in Portland:

Great Game of Thrones costumes, all three girls looked great, but Cersei was the best. She just nailed it.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

hollylolly posted:

Great Game of Thrones costumes, all three girls looked great, but Cersei was the best. She just nailed it.

Wow. I've seen a lot of Game of Thrones cosplay that just comes off as just "generic fantasy person #8" but they nailed it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Bat Ham posted:

Wow. I've seen a lot of Game of Thrones cosplay that just comes off as just "generic fantasy person #8" but they nailed it.

Yeah - unfortunately my cell phone picture doesn't do them justice. :(

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
^^ That's the best Bender costume I've ever seen. I hope he randomly broke into skat.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
The Bender group came to Seattle last year (as did those Power Rangers!). They must all be Pacific Northwest natives.

They even put the Bender in cosplay sometimes :3:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

PezMaster posted:

The Bender group came to Seattle last year (as did those Power Rangers!). They must all be Pacific Northwest natives.

They even put the Bender in cosplay sometimes :3:

Yeah, they had all those accessories with them at RCCC. He wasn't wearing the tutu when I saw him but the RCCC Facebook has a picture up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

fallin1 posted:

The slenderist pyramid head.

Original SH2 Pyramid Head is the slenderest Pyramid Head. :eng101:

Dude was skinny as hell before the movies made him all buff.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I'm the one who barks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Barking bad? :v:

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Some more pretty radical cosplay from the Tokyo Game Show this year!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Jet Ready Go posted:

Some more pretty radical cosplay from the Tokyo Game Show this year!

Whoa drat, that's almost perfect.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Paging Boomerjinks! Original vehicles from Breaking Bad are up for auction. Skyler's Jeep, Jesse's Toyota, an exterminator's truck, and even Walt's puke green Pontiac Aztek.

There are many items of screen used clothing as well, perfect for foiling sperglords at conventions. "That's not totally accurate!" "Trap sprung, it's the real deal."

Auction catalogs are also excellent reference for costumes.

http://screenbid.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/6/?page=1

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can make meth in authentic screen used Breaking Bad laboratory equipment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol the Aztec is only starting at 1k. That Aztek gets no respect. Even his briefs are going for $250.

Crab Dad has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Sep 24, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah but those underoos are one of the most iconic things from that show. The Aztec is just the worlds ugliest car in that cars ugliest color. Also it's the crash car so its non driving and pretty beat the gently caress up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'd wear that leather jacket. It's not even an outrageous price for a leather jacket.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I really wanted a (working) $1000 Aztek, but only if they included delivery :(

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Schindler's Fist posted:

Paging Boomerjinks! Original vehicles from Breaking Bad are up for auction. Skyler's Jeep, Jesse's Toyota, an exterminator's truck, and even Walt's puke green Pontiac Aztek.

There are many items of screen used clothing as well, perfect for foiling sperglords at conventions. "That's not totally accurate!" "Trap sprung, it's the real deal."

Auction catalogs are also excellent reference for costumes.

http://screenbid.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/6/?page=1

I offered them $50.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
I'm not sure that Aztek is the hero car... Vince Gillian said on the podcast recently that he was keeping the Aztek.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
And IIRC the Crystal Wagon (aka the Winnebago) is being given away in a contest, right? Or already has? Something like that.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Killer_Frost posted:

I'm not sure that Aztek is the hero car... Vince Gillian said on the podcast recently that he was keeping the Aztek.

The listing says there were 3. One's a parts car, one's staying on display (presumably this would be Gillian's) and they're auctioning the 3rd.

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain
i'm gonna go ahead and just post my own cosplay because it's the first time i feel like it's complete.
the weathering and the makeup came together well for the completed costume's first con at rose city comic con

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Um did you mix up your cosplay picture with a picture of the real thing? :psyduck:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Holy crap I didn't know Johnny Depp was a Goon. :haw:

Amazing cosplay there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

leg bones posted:

i'm gonna go ahead and just post my own cosplay because it's the first time i feel like it's complete.
the weathering and the makeup came together well for the completed costume's first con at rose city comic con

holy poo poo dude

• Locked thread