Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
There were more operation bravo crates sold yesterday than every ouya game combined: http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/730/Operation%20Bravo%20Case

e: you make more money playing counter strike and selling your item drops than being an ouya game developer

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Julie spoke at a conference I was at on Sunday. She brought up how they had done some stuff wrong, like the lovely controller and the puking video. Also mentioned how they didn't think through the ramifications of the Free the Games contest very well.

The star stories for the OKEEFENOKEE during her talk were the game about the frogs, the Astronaut Rescue game written by the 8-year-old, and That Dragon, Cancer. And it was all about challenging the big game companies. (Though that didn't stop her from having a slide of Grand Theft Auto 5 up for about 9 minutes...)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Borden posted:

Who in their right mind would think anybody would want a game based on those terrible LCD handhelds?

Look at this horse poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXYPKpol_z0

They wanted $51 923 for this.
Monkey Labour on iOS was kind of fun for like, five minutes. Not really $2 of fun, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jet Jaguar posted:

(Though that didn't stop her from having a slide of Grand Theft Auto 5 up for about 9 minutes...)

What was the context?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alan Smithee posted:

What was the context?

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking something along the lines of, 'Rockstar has our development kit' or, 'GTA will be on it'.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Alan Smithee posted:

What was the context?

Mostly about how awesome big games like GTA were and how expensive they are to make.

Enter in the lil' console that could, where even a kid can make games for it!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

Mostly about how awesome big games like GTA were and how expensive they are to make.

Did she even bother to knock it? If not it sounds like she can't even do marketing right.

"Hey guys you know how pretty and popular the prom queen is? You don't know wanna go out with her, you want an average looking girl with no personality!"

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Jet Jaguar posted:

So pretty much the same garbage that her DICE keynote was about except without using the word "television" a million times?

How has anyone not done a television count remix of that video, jesus christ.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

averox posted:

So pretty much the same garbage that her DICE keynote was about except without using the word "television" a million times?

How has anyone not done a television count remix of that video, jesus christ.

"I want those games on the television because I LOVE THE TELEVISION! :byodame: "

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Borden posted:

Who in their right mind would think anybody would want a game based on those terrible LCD handhelds?

Hipster doofuses who weren't around when those things were still relevant and now want another ironic badge of uniqueness to flock to?

Or as it turns out, nobody.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah as someone who had a few of those things I don't miss em. Even in its heyday they were fun for about 10 minutes tops before you decided reading in a moving car was better (I didn't own a fancy gameboy like you noble kids)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean, I had a couple of Game and Watch sets when I was a kid, because we didn't have tons of money and that's what passed for entertainment back then. As a five year old I loved them to bits (sometimes literally) but man. Nostalgia is the only feeling I have toward them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Der Shovel posted:

I mean, I had a couple of Game and Watch sets when I was a kid, because we didn't have tons of money and that's what passed for entertainment back then. As a five year old I loved them to bits (sometimes literally) but man. Nostalgia is the only feeling I have toward them.

Good news then! Nostalgia is the only thing you need to sell a product!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can't say I have much nostalgia towards them. Half the time nostalgia is idolizing a bygone era when you were too naive to know any better. And that's why people do drugs when they get older. To remember that time

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alan Smithee posted:

Can't say I have much nostalgia towards them. Half the time nostalgia is idolizing a bygone era when you were too naive to know any better.

Yeah, that's the one. I have warm memories of sitting in my room, playing some Game and Watch game while my mum cooked supper in the dinner, so I associate them with a happy time in my life. I wouldn't buy a second rate Ouya knockoff some rear end in a top hat made, though.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Ryen Deckard posted:

I can't speak for anybody else, but I've been dying to hook my TV up to my computer as more than a novelty. I also don't feel like moving my computer to my living/bed room whenever I want to play a game on a controller.

I would happily pay 100$ for the ability to play my PC games in another room without having to move my computer around and mess with cables and networking (my PC doesn't have a wireless card).

Wireless HDMI might be what you're after. A HDMI transmitter box receives the signal from your gfx card, then sends that to a HDMI receiver plugged into your TV: https://amazon.com/Monoprice-Wireless-HDMI-Extender-65ft/dp/B005E2XLWS/

If you use a 360 controller, you might also want to look into the chatpad add-on (originally for MSN chat over Xbox Live) as a keyboard replacement. I use one myself attached to the fancy silver "transforming D-pad" controller and it's excellent. It's backlit and has 2 modifier keys for 80+ effective buttons so you can even play space sims.

MS didn't add support for chatpads to the 360 pad PC drivers, but there's an unofficial driver here. The wireless drivers are a bit finicky, make sure you read from the bottom up for the latest updates: https://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/issues/detail?id=46

With the upcoming release of SteamOS, Valve really should get on to the big peripheral makers like Logitech/Razer about creating an integrated keyboard+mouse couch gaming replacement with a trackball for aiming.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gutcruncher posted:

"Hey man, all these retro pixel games are making money, how can I top that?"

Edit: A real licensed Game and Watch virtual museum thing would be a pretty cool cheap downloadable game. Sort of like how you can appreciate when a pinball simulator takes the time to recreate every inch of the table.

Didn't they make one for the GBA and/or DS? I never played it but I remember seeing it in a store or something years ago and wondering who the gently caress would pay money for that.

JazzFlight posted:

Ehhh, just go here and mess about for a bit:
http://www.pica-pic.com/

Holy poo poo, Donkey Kong G&W flashbacks. I remember if you'd leave the game running and come back in a couple hours Donkey Kong would start throwing barrels so fast that there was just a constant stream of them that you couldn't possibly get past.

Sadly, they don't seem to have the Tiger ones, those ones were all the rage in the fourth grade.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Man, these latest posts have sent me down a deep nostalgia hole, trawling the net for the old handhelds I used to have. And now I'm seriously considering getting Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road handheld off eBay. But maybe some nostalgia should be better left alone.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

raditts posted:

Didn't they make one for the GBA and/or DS? I never played it but I remember seeing it in a store or something years ago and wondering who the gently caress would pay money for that.
Yeah there's been several packs released over the years on the handhelds. Usually as Club Nintendo exclusives to capitalize on that sweet sweet nostalgia.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

A real licensed Game and Watch virtual museum thing would be a pretty cool cheap downloadable game. Sort of like how you can appreciate when a pinball simulator takes the time to recreate every inch of the table.
Nintendo have already made 2 for the DS, though they were only available as Club Nintendo rewards.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
There have also been several (I think five) Game and Watch Gallery games, which are actually pretty good. They generally had five to ten old Game and Watch games, and redone modern versions of them with Mario characters, and a bunch of unlockable things for scoring high enough on the modern or classic version of each game, like extra difficulty levels, the history behind the games, stuff like that. As far as I know, the Game and Watch Collection games on the DS are just bare bones ports of the original games, but the Gallery games on GBC and GBA were really cool.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 25, 2013

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Club Nintendo even has a reproduction of the first Game and Watch handheld that you can get; not a DS game, the actual thing. Of course, they only sell it through Club Nintendo, where you can only buy things using points you get from registering OTHER Nintendo games, because they know the only people who want these things are massive Turbonerds.

It's a shame that 'retro' games seem to moving backwards in time with stuff like Game and Clock instead of forwards, I was kind of looking forward to when they got to the PS1/N64 era of low poly 3D collectathon platformers with RPG elements. Maybe in a few years.

E: vvvv Crappy LCD games haven't aged well either, and yet here we are. Then again, the kind of person who uses retro style as a crutch would probably see making a 2D game as less effort than a 3D one, so that is probably another reason there haven't been any.

Complexcalibur fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 25, 2013

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Complexcalibur posted:

It's a shame that 'retro' games seem to moving backwards in time with stuff like Game and Clock instead of forwards, I was kind of looking forward to when they got to the PS1/N64 era of low poly 3D collectathon platformers with RPG elements. Maybe in a few years.

I think the big problem is that none of that stuff really aged well. Pixel and sprite work can be quite beautiful despite the limitations that those styles provide. No one likes looking at blocky polygons and solid textures.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There's always Visorman.

I think Crash shows you can pull it off if you don't try for realism, but it's harder to produce something that doesn't look totally lousy with early 3D than late 2D.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mks5000 posted:

I think the big problem is that none of that stuff really aged well. Pixel and sprite work can be quite beautiful despite the limitations that those styles provide. No one likes looking at blocky polygons and solid textures.

How about voxels? I played Blade Runner again semi-recently, and it still looks good despite being 15 years old. (Then again Westwood made it and they knew their poo poo. I would have killed to work there. RIP guys. :smith:)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mks5000 posted:

Also 3D is inherently like 10x more complicated to develop than 2D. It just drastically increases your costs.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Peel posted:

There's always Visorman.

I think Crash shows you can pull it off if you don't try for realism, but it's harder to produce something that doesn't look totally lousy with early 3D than late 2D.

Crash Bandicoot was a complete technical marvel at the time. It wasn't just that it wasn't shooting for realism but the guys that coded it used loving crazy techniques that nobody had thought of at the time. It's a bit of an unfairly high pedestal to point to for good looking early 3D, although yeah it does just reinforce your point the amount of work in getting early 3d to look as good as 2d.

Further reading (technical stuff starts in part 3): http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That Zelda handheld is legit awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kemikalkadet posted:

Crash Bandicoot was a complete technical marvel at the time. It wasn't just that it wasn't shooting for realism but the guys that coded it used loving crazy techniques that nobody had thought of at the time. It's a bit of an unfairly high pedestal to point to for good looking early 3D, although yeah it does just reinforce your point the amount of work in getting early 3d to look as good as 2d.

Further reading (technical stuff starts in part 3): http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Wow I just read that whole article, every page, start to finish. Some really, REALLY interesting stuff in there, some of which I knew, but a lot of which I didn't.

Crash Bandicoot modified the difficulty as you played it? Holy poo poo, never knew that. :stare:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow I just read that whole article, every page, start to finish. Some really, REALLY interesting stuff in there, some of which I knew, but a lot of which I didn't.

Crash Bandicoot modified the difficulty as you played it? Holy poo poo, never knew that. :stare:

Mark Cerny :allears:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Peel posted:

There's always Visorman.

Poy Poy did fairly well.

Cartoony style, everything made out of simple shapes. It doesn't look ugly per se right now, just a little dated. Would benefit from better textures and less stupid shadows, both of which are easily doable because we're not working within the PSOne's hardware limits.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

How about voxels? I played Blade Runner again semi-recently, and it still looks good despite being 15 years old. (Then again Westwood made it and they knew their poo poo. I would have killed to work there. RIP guys. :smith:)

Bladerunner was a classic digitized painted backgrounds and sprites. Voxels (Volumetric Pixels) came about around Comanche by microprose.

I....I have both CDs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Man, that "LCD" game actually looks reasonably well executed, like at least as an early slice of a game that aims to ape the style of those old Tiger handhelds. Shame the style of game being emulated was barely entertaining when it was novel. An actual sort of effortgame on Ouya, and the effort is wasted.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Hav posted:

Bladerunner was a classic digitized painted backgrounds and sprites. Voxels (Volumetric Pixels) came about around Comanche by microprose.

I....I have both CDs.

Man were those games any good? I remember seeing trailers for Blade Runner and Lands of Lore from my Red Alert CD back in the day and just being weirded out by it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've heard nothing but good things about Blade Runner.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TopherCStone posted:

Poy Poy did fairly well.

Cartoony style, everything made out of simple shapes. It doesn't look ugly per se right now, just a little dated. Would benefit from better textures and less stupid shadows, both of which are easily doable because we're not working within the PSOne's hardware limits.

I loving loved Poy Poy, I don't know why they never released the sequel in the US despite there being a fully translated PAL version.

Konami... :argh:

Tobal 2 was also a loving gorgeous game for the PS1 era.

It still doesn't look that bad even today. It's too bad Square decided to kill that series off and make that piece of poo poo Ergheiz to placate FF7 fanboys, I can only imagine how a game like that would look on current-gen consoles.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah the Tobal games were loving great and then I bought that piece of poo poo Ergheiz because I was promised more of the same. What the gently caress.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I wish I could have understood Tobal 2's adventure mode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Dave posted:

I wish I could have understood Tobal 2's adventure mode.

I'm pretty sure someone made a full translation patch for it, but I think it was also years after anyone could possibly have cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

raditts posted:

It's too bad Square decided to kill that series off and make that piece of poo poo Ergheiz to placate FF7 fanboys

Touched
By
The
Hand
Of
Godhand

• Locked thread