Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's all well and good that these fuckers got the boot, but the question is who they'll replace them with. If people this high up are GD sympathizers then it's pretty much certain that the problem isn't contained to the regular beat cops and that the police force is in fact shot through with fash from top to bottom, so where will you find competent, non-fascist people to replace them with?

What I'm worried about is that they will just promote people who are just as big assholes as those who were suspended and pretend that everything is OK with that.

What you're saying is that possibly all of the cops, are in fact, bastards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Cerebral Bore posted:

If people this high up are GD sympathizers then it's pretty much certain that the problem isn't contained to the regular beat cops and that the police force is in fact shot through with fash from top to bottom, so where will you find competent, non-fascist people to replace them with?

Hell, how do you tell the complete fuckers from the guys that were merely going along? Sure, the later guys are complicit with the right bastards, but you can't fire every single cop- that'd be a massive fiasco. I guess if you're serious about cleaning the cops out, you'll basically need a civilian review board of the entire force, which will have a ton of resistance from the cops. What a mess.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's all well and good that these fuckers got the boot, but the question is who they'll replace them with. If people this high up are GD sympathizers then it's pretty much certain that the problem isn't contained to the regular beat cops and that the police force is in fact shot through with fash from top to bottom, so where will you find competent, non-fascist people to replace them with?
Maybe they won't be non-fascist, but they could just hire a bunch of dudes from Macedonia and Albania, I doubt they would be as happy about supporting the GD as Greek officers are.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Bring in a bunch of Scandinavian coppers and remake the Varangian guard.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
It seems that the Greeks has been fascist for a lot longer than democratic. And banning sure does work. Look at the Muslims that are not here today. And I think Christianity was banned also once?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

darthzeta88 posted:

It seems that the Greeks has been fascist for a lot longer than democratic. And banning sure does work. Look at the Muslims that are not here today. And I think Christianity was banned also once?

On the other hand look at the cathars! Oh, right, never mind then... :catholic:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

darthzeta88 posted:

Which Greeks? Do you count the dead? Because if so most people have been monarchist for a lot longer than democratic.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

YF-23 posted:

Which Greeks? Do you count the dead? Because if so most people have been monarchist for a lot longer than democratic.

Ya but if I recall Greeks were the only society to go from democratic to fascist.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

edit:oops, wrong thread

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

darthzeta88 posted:

Ya but if I recall Greeks were the only society to go from democratic to fascist.

...Seriously? So the Weimar Republic doesn't count? I mean yeah, you can point to any number of flaws with its constitutional foundation and way it actually ran, but I don't think you can claim it wasn't actually a democratic state, however weak.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

There's also Portugal, which went from an admittedly unstable democratic republic to a long fascist dictatorship.

Edit: vv Nope, care to try again?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Captain_Maclaine posted:

...Seriously? So the Weimar Republic doesn't count? I mean yeah, you can point to any number of flaws with its constitutional foundation and way it actually ran, but I don't think you can claim it wasn't actually a democratic state, however weak.

Ill look into this but I would think republic instead of democratic just by the name. But you may be right.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

darthzeta88 posted:

Ill look into this but I would think republic instead of democratic just by the name. But you may be right.

Unless you're being exceptionally, unreasonably nit-picky about "democracy" versus "republic", then Weimar absolutely was a democratic state before the Nazi takeover. A flawed, badly-run democracy with a very weak constitution (which was a major contributing factor to the rise of the NSDAP after Hitler decided that putsches weren't getting the job done), but a democratic state nevertheless.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Is the Czech Republic a democracy?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Nah, they're a republic, units outside of their territory only cause 1 unhappiness and they don't fall into anarchy if a city revolts twice. Although they don't get that sweet nullification of corruption.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

darthzeta88 posted:

Spain, Chile, and Brazil are all democratic countries that became fascist states.

e:
Although I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that old republic Brazil was so corrupt that it was pretty much a democracy only for the rich and would probably count as some sort of oligarchy rather than democracy.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 25, 2013

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

Spain, Chile, and Brazil are all democratic countries that became fascist states.

Then there are military dictatorships, and Portugal. Hell, democracy dies all the time.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This is a republic not a democracy :hurr:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Guys, read darthzeta88's post history in this thread before replying. He pretty much outright admitted to being a fascist sympathizer.

Coriolis
Oct 23, 2005

:eng101: So, who wants to see how a modern neo-Nazi party works?

This ex-Golden Dawn member sat down for an interview and pretty much explains their entire playbook. I really, really wanted to just quote the entire thing because it's all just as fascinating as what I've quoted below.

Seriously, all forward-thinking people should be studying Golden Dawn as the shape of things to come.

http://www.akny.org/2013/09/insider-blows-open-golden-dawn-operations/

quote:

How does one become a member?
You pay 20 euros, show your Greek identity card, and they sign you up. The membership card states the local chapter to which you belong and your membership number.

After I signed up and became a member they put me in the “nucleus.” The difference between a member and the nucleus is that the latter will do everything, no matter what it is, without a question. The nucleus started out with 20 people, but at some point it grew uncontrollably. It became a fashion to be in the nucleus. Giorgos Patelis, who was responsible for the [Nikaia] organization, decided to set up an “open” and a “closed” nucleus. The closed nucleus comprised only beefed-up members, only those who were close to him. Those who take supplements and get beefed-up.

Who belongs to the open nucleus?
Most of the members and the women were in the open nucleus. Later on they made further distinctions and accepted only men. When someone came and became a member he first had to participate in five or six actions, and then they decided accordingly and placed you in the open nucleus. With time you moved closer inside and if they saw that you were capable they placed you in the closed nucleus. That’s where, supposedly, they discussed their secrets. But these were never secrets, because there were people from there who would come out and spill everything.

Did they hit primarily immigrants?
They hit the Pakistanis just for show. Because I can’t accept that I would hit a Pakistani but afterwards I would sell him protection. Ask any Pakistani in Nikaia and they will laugh at the mention of Golden Dawn. The local chapter of Golden Dawn protects the Pakistanis. The chapter takes the clothes donated from regular people for the poor, and they sell them to Pakistanis who sell them at the street market and then give a percentage of the profit to Golden Dawn. This is not just my testimony, there are other people who can attest to this. They would collect donations for someone who was in need and pocket the money. They would say “I collected 40 euros,” but we would learn that at the counting in the closed nucleus, they had collected 300 euros which they pocketed!

How many members comprise the attack battalions?
The attack battalions are his nucleus. When I left the party there were 30 people left, but then more joined whom I don’t know.

Are these the same 30 persons who were present at the Fyssas murder?
Yes.

How do the attack battalions operate?
The attack battalion wears the black-and-white camouflage uniforms. They call them “city uniforms” and they are the uniforms of the attack battalion, and only the local chapter of Nikaia has the right to wear them. They do what Patelis tells them to do. When they go to do something he tells them to be prepared and ready, to wear black, not the t-shirts with Golden Dawn insignia, so that the movement won’t be identifiable, to wear motorcycle helmets so that no one will recognize their faces.

Does this mean that the local chapter of Nikaia has undertaken the protection of the other Golden Dawn chapters?
Yes, it protects them. Wherever it is called, not just in Pireaus but Salamis, Perama, wherever there is a problem it will appear. Nikaia guarded the events at Thermopylae [where G.D. celebrated the anniversary of the famous battle against the Persians in 480 BC], and the attack battalion went to the opening of the local chapter at Salamis. When there were ordinary citizens around, the battalion engaged in some “good deeds” with the immigrants. They hit them just to show who’s boss.

When you had to get together, who informed you where to go and what to do?
Pre-paid messages would be delivered via Internet when an event was planned. Not in our meetings at the offices.

Did they send you messages to go somewhere for these episodes, beatings, these sort of things?
No. They never informed us because they were afraid that it would leak out. Usually they would call us to the offices to inform us about what would happen the next day and they would ask for the men to be present. They used to say, this evening the men should be there. And when they arrived they would find out what they were supposed to do. To beat up the Pakistanis, to paint on walls. The next day they would come and talk about it and applaud. “Bravo to such and such who beat up the Pakistani,” they would say.

What do you know about the members of parliament?
The lower levels don’t know anything. Giorgos (Patelis) knows. And if he feels like it, he informs us. The only thing we know is that we will inform Lagos, and we will get the OK from Lagos for anything to happen. Lagos is the one to expel us, always with the command coming from Giorgos. [Lagos] would say to [Giorgos], this one is no good because he’s a leftist. Like that, suddenly. And they expel him. Without telling you anything. And without knowing it you go to the offices and you’d get beaten up and they threw you out. One member they expelled, who’d had surgery on his head because he had cancer, was beaten up severely by five individuals. The excuse was that he had stolen one euro. And when he tried to complain to Lagos, they didn’t let him. And everyone who complained found themselves on the outside.

What kind of ideology did they teach to you at the offices?
We are Nazis. They say it at the offices. We do not salute Hitler, however. But in the ideological training that they did, they would tell us that Hitler did not burn the Jews.

What is the Centaur group?
These are the under-age people we have at the Nikaia local chapter. It has the same man in charge as the Innova. We have one high school student who is an excellent student and very good in history, who does ideological training. But with facts and events. How this happened, etc.

And a lot of other stuff. Seriously, read the whole thing: http://www.akny.org/2013/09/insider-blows-open-golden-dawn-operations/

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
Fascinating how much of it is actually essentially organized crime with good PR. In practice, it sounds like they were less interested in keeping immigrants out and more in muscling in on the territory of organized crime in the immigrant communities.

Which makes a lot of sense when you consider how organized crime often acts as a source of structure and even social welfare in places where the government cannot provide those things. As I understand it, that was the origin of the Sicilian mafia, and that similar things have occurred at times in outlying areas if Brazil, etc. And of course, in immigrant communities.

It sounds like they literally thought they could be a mafia that operated openly right down to ordering hits and yet prioritize ideology as well as business with no contradictions or compromises :psyduck:

Edit: The Facebook stuff is interesting, with fake profiles used for communication and a guy to hack into ex-members' accounts to clean up evidence. Interesting, but really easy for a disgruntled ex-member to dance around to get the data back if they even have half a clue.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 26, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Organized crime with a sheen of ideology as justification is pretty much the norm for American fascist groups like the Vinlanders and Hammerskins, isn't it?

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

Coriolis posted:

:eng101: So, who wants to see how a modern neo-Nazi party works?

This ex-Golden Dawn member sat down for an interview and pretty much explains their entire playbook. I really, really wanted to just quote the entire thing because it's all just as fascinating as what I've quoted below.

Seriously, all forward-thinking people should be studying Golden Dawn as the shape of things to come.

http://www.akny.org/2013/09/insider-blows-open-golden-dawn-operations/

I hope you mean forward-thinking as in people who want to prevent this sort of scum from grasping hold of power and "the shape of things to come" as "poo poo we need to be still vigilant for". :colbert:

I do not understand fascists and neo-Nazis in particular. Germany got chopped up into little pieces and utterly wrecked, after bulldozing most of continental Europe and committing genocide. What part of it screams "successful ideology"? What part do they want to emulate? The shame their descendants will carry? Urgh. I hope they all fall down open manholes. I try to have empathy and compassion for every human being, but it's drat loving hard to have such for people who would see me dead and my people eradicated.

(Ahem. It's a super interesting link, thank you for it! I have a paradoxical fascination with fascists and Nazis/neo-Nazis. I guess it's kind of like poking roadkill with a stick. Except sometimes it turns out the roadkill isn't dead.)

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I think at the base of it fascism is organised crime. The Nazis had stuff like the Volkswagen (people's car) subscription service where allegedly you got a car after paying enough installments. However the Nazis pocketed the money and didn't give anyone a car. You also had gauleiter behaving identically to how street bosses did.

Plus the Nazis were diligent in sending rival organised criminals to concentration camps. Italian fascists were also very focused on wiping out the Mafia in Sicily because they didn't like the competition. It is probably the closest the Italian government has gotten to beating the cosa nostra, albeit by being worse than them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Italian fascists were also very focused on wiping out the Mafia in Sicily because they didn't like the competition. It is probably the closest the Italian government has gotten to beating the cosa nostra, albeit by being worse than them.

It also backfired spectacularly.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

^^^Backfired how? Did the Mafia unite with the Italian equivalent of the Resistance or something? :v:

I didn't know that about the Volkswagen! I know a lot of poo poo the Nazis did allegedly well, like the Autobahn[1], was an elaborate propaganda exercise, but I didn't know the details.

I agree with you that fascism is basically organised crime that wants to be on the ballots. I had a point somewhere about how fascist parties are always accompanied by a paramilitary arm, but that was also true of Sinn "we're basically communists" Fein, so I don't think it's exclusive to fascists or a mark of fascism, but it does seem to be a common theme.

Which reminds me, has anyone here seen Bertholt Brecht's The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui? It's a fantastic allegory of the rise of fascism/the NSDAP in Germany, as portrayed by Chicago gangsters. :haw: Brecht had a very interesting approach to making a point, so you do get hammered over the head with it, but it's a fantastic, chilling play.

And this bit from the epilogue is relevant now, as it was when the play was written:

Bertholt Brecht posted:

Therefore learn how to see and not to gape
To act instead of taking all day long
The world was almost won by such an ape!
The nations put him where his kind belong.
But don’t rejoice too soon at your escape
The womb he crawled from is still going strong.

[1] The Autobahn is fantastic and far-reaching now, but 1930s Germany needed a motorway system like a fish needed a bicycle. Nobody had cars. Apparently nobody got cars, either and the Autobahn couldn't support tanks, either, IIRC, so it was all a big propaganda thing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I think at the base of it fascism is organised crime. The Nazis had stuff like the Volkswagen (people's car) subscription service where allegedly you got a car after paying enough installments. However the Nazis pocketed the money and didn't give anyone a car. You also had gauleiter behaving identically to how street bosses did.

Plus the Nazis were diligent in sending rival organised criminals to concentration camps. Italian fascists were also very focused on wiping out the Mafia in Sicily because they didn't like the competition. It is probably the closest the Italian government has gotten to beating the cosa nostra, albeit by being worse than them.

It's not so much that the point of fascism is organized crime but that the nature of the government gives officials absolute loads of opportunities to stuff their pockets, and the importance of your political connections over your actual merit or performance make you untouchable until your connections fall through or dry up. The only sure way to get brought up on corruption charges in Nazi Germany was to be an obvious, complete lunatic, though sometimes even that just got you put in command of your own army unit.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

It's kind of hilarious of how poorly fascism works. Or would be, if not, you know. That whole mess.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The Nazis had stuff like the Volkswagen (people's car) subscription service where allegedly you got a car after paying enough installments. However the Nazis pocketed the money and didn't give anyone a car.

That is incorrect. The reason nobody received a car was because of the war.
They had only produced a handful of cars at that point and then had to switch to war production.
When the Russians took Berlin they seized the money.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

What were the dates? When was the program implemented and when was the due date for the first wave of cars bought by installment? Because I think what you described counts as pocketing the money and blaming the war.

We could go ask the Nazi thread in A/T, I guess, but I'm a bit scared of them.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

weavernaut posted:

What were the dates? When was the program implemented and when was the due date for the first wave of cars bought by installment? Because I think what you described counts as pocketing the money and blaming the war.

We could go ask the Nazi thread in A/T, I guess, but I'm a bit scared of them.

1939, the invasion of Polannd which obviously lead to the Battle of France and so on so the cars could not be produced. The savings where seized by the Red Army, they where not spent.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 26, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The building of the factory (and surrounding city) was started May 1938.
The structural work of the factory was done Autumn 39.

Coriolis
Oct 23, 2005

weavernaut posted:

I hope you mean forward-thinking as in people who want to prevent this sort of scum from grasping hold of power and "the shape of things to come" as "poo poo we need to be still vigilant for". :colbert:

That's exactly the sense in which I meant it. Greece is the patient zero of the austerity disease that's coming for all of us, so it's worth observing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's cute, it sounds like one of the reasons that GD informer became disgruntled and quit is that the higher ups were more interested in collecting protection money from Pakistani business owners than driving them out. It's like he's his own little Tea Party!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

weavernaut posted:

^^^Backfired how? Did the Mafia unite with the Italian equivalent of the Resistance or something? :v:

This is closer to the truth than you might realize.

Also, from what I know of Nazi Germany's bureaucracy, while having a reputation for ruthless efficiency, was actually hilariously inept, incompetent and corrupt. What with the whole promoting based on ideology rather than performance and attracting dumb bullies to ever higher positions.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 26, 2013

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

SedanChair posted:

That's cute, it sounds like one of the reasons that GD informer became disgruntled and quit is that the higher ups were more interested in collecting protection money from Pakistani business owners than driving them out. It's like he's his own little Tea Party!

But also interesting in that for him, the idea was to drive them out, not kill them. I would suspect a significant part of the Golden Dawn membership holds this position, with the central 'nucleus' having the pure fascists and organised criminals, and a larger body of desperate individuals searching out someone to blame for their troubles. It's the subversiveness of the movement that makes it dangerous, and the more people who have familiarity with the closed nucleus that can then spread this message to the Greek citizen who may sympathise with Golden Dawn, the more likely it can be delegitimised as a political movement.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

This is closer to the truth than you might realize.

Also, from what I know of Nazi Germany's bureaucracy, while having a reputation for ruthless efficiency, was actually hilariously inept, incompetent and corrupt. What with the whole promoting based on ideology rather than performance and attracting dumb bullies to ever higher positions.

The Nazis also encouraged an environment of intense competition between and within their various agencies, ministries, departments and corporations (while not owned by the state, they were closely invested in and dependent on the state). This led to a culture of distrust, with many people getting a head through turning on their higher ups, almost literally stabbing them in the back. And rival agencies would withhold information from each other and sometimes actively work against one another's interests. All this competition for the favor of Hitler ofcourse led to him being even more securely enshrined at the top of the pyramid of Nazi Germany, as any one powerful enough to contend with him had to constantly watch their backs for the number of other people and agencies who would happily throw them under the bus to get closer to Hitler.

I think there also was a culture in Nazi Germany of ordinary people actually having very little trust in the government, police and the military and such, because they were viewed as bureaucratical and corrupt. They did trust Hitler though, the whole situation seemed to only further enforce loyalty, as people believed that authorities would be more accountable if only Hitler took a greater role and involved himself more directly in more matters.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Riso posted:

That is incorrect. The reason nobody received a car was because of the war.
They had only produced a handful of cars at that point and then had to switch to war production.
When the Russians took Berlin they seized the money.

Could you cite a source on this, it seems pretty amazing that through the entirety of the war the Nazi government would sit on a large amount of cash and even more so it was kept in one place for the Red Army to specifically be able to loot a "Volkswagen fund" 6 years later.

Randarkman posted:

The Nazis also encouraged an environment of intense competition between and within their various agencies, ministries, departments and corporations (while not owned by the state, they were closely invested in and dependent on the state). This led to a culture of distrust, with many people getting a head through turning on their higher ups, almost literally stabbing them in the back. And rival agencies would withhold information from each other and sometimes actively work against one another's interests. All this competition for the favor of Hitler ofcourse led to him being even more securely enshrined at the top of the pyramid of Nazi Germany, as any one powerful enough to contend with him had to constantly watch their backs for the number of other people and agencies who would happily throw them under the bus to get closer to Hitler.

One of my favourite anecdotes about this is that two of Himmler's deputies plotted to kill his masseuse because the guy was getting too much face time with him. Himmler found out and put a stop to it but that was the level of paranoia and disunity going on.

A more important example would be the Graf Zeppelin, the Nazi aircraft carrier. Given the importance of aircraft carriers in WW2 you may be surprised you haven't heard of it. It spent the entirety of the war in a nearly completed state on the Kiel canal mainly because Goering (head of the Luftwaffe) deeply resented the idea of a fleet air arm being created, something which would have undercut his powerbase.

my dad posted:

It also backfired spectacularly.
To be fair, while Mussolini was an idiot he probably couldn't have predicted the US government would ally with Sicilian criminal gangs as part of a strategy to crush dock working unions and other organised labour.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ahh gently caress, now I really want to hear the nitty gritty details.

e: talking about Italian fascism I mean.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Frostwerks posted:

Ahh gently caress, now I really want to hear the nitty gritty details.

e: talking about Italian fascism I mean.

Very briefly, with the excuse of not wanting unions to obstruct the war machine against the Nazis (something I don't think was ever likely) the US government worked with the Mafia to massively extend their control of Unions and dock territory in return for a guarantee x amount of material moved through the docks unobstructed each month. The real reason for support was the rollback against the progressive era that intensified after the war.

This working relationship on the docks lead to someone, probably the OSS, realising that the Mafia, a body already well acquainted with smuggling and concealing weapons of various kinds, could be used to smuggle weapons to the Italian resistance and build a US friendly resistance faction given that a lot of the resistance were Communists or Socialists. Make no mistake though, while Mussolini was comically inept at pretty much everything he did get the Sicilian Mafia (I have no idea about how effective he was against mainland Mafias like the Ndrangheta or the Camorra) on the ropes and without US support they may well have been completely defeated.

The US government, or at least parts of the US government, retained a working relationship with the Mafia at least into the 1950s, with a strong level of cooperation between the CIA and Cuba in their attempts to kill Fidel Castro.

• Locked thread