Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Whatever happened to Flyboy? I remember him being one of the okay ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Not The Wendigo posted:

Whatever happened to Flyboy? I remember him being one of the okay ones.
He posts here now. So does Martello.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I checked their MLP page and (sure enough) it's packed to the brim with way too many pages. And they mention us on one of them!

TV Tropes, MLP:FIM, Complaining About Shows You Don't Watch posted:

• Additionally, it's been an uphill climb for people spreading the news about how good the show actually is. The first discussion thread at Something Awful was a veritable mine field of Complaining About Shows You Don't Watch. Oddly, the second thread, after having been going strong without too much trolling and attracting dozens and dozens of new fans to the show for almost 150 pages (!!!), and generating over a thousand dollars in account, avatar, and banner purchases, was unceremoniously deep sixed. The moderators explained that they disliked having to patrol a thread in which people talk about how much they enjoy a cartoon directed at elementary school-age girls. Incidentally, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars thread is still okay...
  • This decision was actually good for both sides: The posters in that thread simply moved their discussion to an off-site forum. The ponygoons now have a whole forum to themselves while the non-fans don't need to be annoyed/creeped out by said ponygoons. It's also caused a bit of a Streisand Effect: Why on earth would a show that's as innocuous as My Little Pony cause such a commotion?
  • A word of warning for those who want to post on their forums: They loathe Ponibooru and will ban anyone who posts a link to it (because of its NSFW nature). They suggest using their own image site, Bronibooru. Which is free from NSFW images and images of terrible quality.
  • They also have their own website with well-written editorials if you want an alternative to EQD.

I'm glad someone at TVT told them how much money the accounts/avatats made from that thread, and how a thread was shockingly one hundred and fifty pages (:fap:)

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Grizzwold posted:

Despite the awful, awful name they gave it (No, really), I'm actually amazed at what the (short, thankfully exampleless) page says.

I had a feeling this page got it's examples chopped during the lolicon purge and sure enough.

A quick perusal didn't turn up anything too awful beyond the obsessive documentation of underage girls who aren’t REALLY underage. Until the western animation section that is.

quote:

•The Warner siblings in Animaniacs are Older than They Look. They appear to be between the ages of six and twelve, but are at least sixty. Dot is rather sexualized in the series.

What.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Grizzwold posted:

Goddamit, TvTropes. :smith:
Oh yeah, they totally "pedopander", but now they just put a few things up to the effect of "but pedophilia is totally bad".

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 26, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DStecks posted:

In what world would it make any sense to be wearing a big heavy coat everywhere? And don't say "because storage" because trenchcoats are pathetic for that, if you actually want to haul anything, you'd use a drat backpack. Swords, also, very stupid. Little to no use besides combat, and in that capacity have been obsolete since before the Holy Roman Empire fell. They're also very heavy.

You'd think a self-respecting apocalypse-conscious nerd would have read the Zombie Survival Guide, but I guess survival is secondary to looking like a cyberpunk 12-year old's idea of "badass".

Angel and The Matrix had long leather trenchcoats, therefore they are cool + practical.

Lowly posted:

I love the idea that when we're basically living on fear and scraps because aliens have taken over civilization, the first thing we're going to do is go back to making swords. I mean, we're all on the run from aliens, but we'll definitely have time to pick up some steel and forge it into amazing looking swords with cool names.

After reading this thread, it seems to me like they are using tropes more as "anything that appears in more than one work of fiction." Some of the things I've seen linked seem more like "topics" than "tropes." Like, I don't understand how "domestic abuse" can be a trope. But hey, let's see what they have to say about it:

Haha, so true, people abusing each other is hilarious. I'm still not getting this "trope" so let's look at examples ... they just list every example of some sort of abuse that appears anywhere, and the vast majority of them are not comic examples. I guess it is a wiki, but on this page you can really tell it was put together by bunches of different people with different points of view so it comes out totally disjointed and not very coherent.

Also at the end there is a "Real Life" section. How can something in real life be a trope? It's just a weird collection of random facts, examples of a couple of celebrities who were abusers and then a public service section giving numbers to call if you are a victim.

I don't really get this site at all.

I think they've gotten slapstick on TV confused with genuine domestic violence

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Angel and The Matrix had long leather trenchcoats, therefore they are cool + practical.

I think they've gotten slapstick on TV confused with genuine domestic violence

Tropers confuse everything with everything. They think a fedora and trenchcoat constitutes good fashion. They think anime is the be-all and end-all of art. They think the English teacher who flunked their 100,000,000,000 page doorstopper of a fantasy story (when really they were supposed to write an essay on whether or not The Importance of Being Earnest lives up to its title) is a sadist teacher. They think kindergarten girls whose parents keep yelling at them to stop giving them that dead fish-eyed stare are "type A tsunderes" who are secretly in love with them. They think anyone who outruns them in laps during gym class is a "jerk jock."

I think you get the picture. They're so wrapped up in fantasy and putting labels on things that reality divorced them and took everything they had five years ago and they don't even know it because they're prowling the day care center for a trophy girlfriend (or holing themselves up in their anime-themed man caves spanking it to their imaginary girlfriends and mistresses, thinking they're Krieger from Archer). Sorry if I got a bit too graphic and off-base.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Tropers basoically end up with tropes forming and shaping the way they think and see reality.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
Let's check the Getting poo poo Past the Radar page for iCarly:

Some creep posted:

iPie: while Spencer is trying to get a forgotten pie recipe from Trudy, she comes over for dinner. Then, she moves in on Spencer and says. "How about we take this party to the couch?" Spencer replies, "The couch is broken." Her response? "Well, let's go break it some more."

How is that getting crap past the sensors? It's pretty obvious what she's talking about.

Some creep posted:

iGo To Japan: There's a scene in a spa. Both Mrs. Benson and Spencer are wrapped up in seaweed. When they realize it was a trap, they try to get out of the tightly bound seaweed. Spencer eats his way out of the seaweed, and then he slashes the seaweed covering Mrs. Benson with a sword. She also has to constantly remind him that the towel he's wearing around his waist keeps falling down. And yes, Mrs. Benson sees Spencer naked. Twice.

This troper is grasping at straws.

Some creep posted:

Saved Your Life: Carly wears a bunny suit (furry pink full body suit, though at this rate one wonders how long it will be till they use the other kind) as part of dare from an iCarly viewer and she proceeds to frisk and spank Sam while wearing it.

Ok, I think you guys you are reading too much into things...

Some creep posted:

Freddie's futile attempts to lift Carly by her waist onto the kitchen countertop, complete with struggled groaning from both of them.

Stop!

Some creep posted:

a girl invited Freddie over to her house for the weekend, when her parents were going to be gone and her older brother was throwing a party. There is also a line of thought that suggests that not only were the parents going away, but that the brother's party was at a beach house somewhere, implying that they'd have the main house to themselves the whole weekend. She's offering him a weekend of sex. Carly then shoos her away by giving him a kiss.

:frogout:

DoctorPresident fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 24, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I remember way back I looked on the TVTropes page for that old Disney Wizards of New York show and there were like, huge pages devoted to talking about how the siblings were loving, using such proof as 'they hug' and 'the sister said she loved her brother'.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Namtab posted:

Did they not get that in The Matrix, the entire purpose of the trenchcoats was to conceal all the guns they were carrying? And that they carried so many guns because they didn't want to have to reload in the middle of a huge firefight; in a post-apocalyptic scenario you're going to want one gun you're really good with, and a bunch of ammo and spare parts for it.

Who am I kidding? They're tropers. They've probably never even seen The Matrix.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I remember way back I looked on the TVTropes page for that old Disney Wizards of New York show and there were like, huge pages devoted to talking about how the siblings were loving, using such proof as 'they hug' and 'the sister said she loved her brother'.

I've noticed that when it comes to sex, there are two types of Troper: the type that makes everything about sex (like the example you posted above), and the type that desperately tries to pretend that the sex/fetish stuff they're reading or watching isn't about sex. ("Oh, I watch The Anime That Shall Not Be Named for its interesting characters and complex storylines!")

I don't know which is more annoying.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DStecks posted:

Did they not get that in The Matrix, the entire purpose of the trenchcoats was to conceal all the guns they were carrying? And that they carried so many guns because they didn't want to have to reload in the middle of a huge firefight; in a post-apocalyptic scenario you're going to want one gun you're really good with, and a bunch of ammo and spare parts for it.

I thought the purpose was that they looked cool, and that when you can completely ignore the laws of physics, you don't have to worry about practical?

It's commentary about not taking movies too seriously. Or it might not be commentary, and you just aren't supposed to take it seriously.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DStecks posted:

I really doubt that anyone frequenting a website made by dorks for dorks hasn't seen the matrix.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought the purpose was that they looked cool, and that when you can completely ignore the laws of physics, you don't have to worry about practical?

It's commentary about not taking movies too seriously. Or it might not be commentary, and you just aren't supposed to take it seriously.

Actually the clothing in The Matrix is what a bunch of hacker nerds think looks cool. So it fits Tropers.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Power Perversion Potential posted:

Avatar: The Last Airbender has Toph, who is blind but can "see" vibrations via her earthbending. Many fans have noted the voyeuristic potential of being able to see through walls, or even through clothes... as well as the Brain Bleaching downside to her tremor-sense, given that she can't turn it off as long as she's touching solid ground.
* Barely a fan exists that hasn't realised Sokka's and Suki's night during "The Southern Raiders" would have been completely "visible" to Toph (though whether this is played for humour, drama or fetish depends on the individual). One fanfic even adds Zuko to the list of unintentional voyeurs, sensing extreme heat from the two.
* Katara learning Blood Bending, an ability which is explicitly used to manipulate the blood in another person's body.
* This troper has read multiple fics where Azula's lightning has been used for things it shouldn't.

The entire page enormous and just like that: an endless list of tropers drooling over how sexy superpowers from children's cartoons are.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013
You could argue about whether tropers have seen The Matrix, or you could look it up, ya lazy bastards.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/TheMatrix?from=Main.TheMatrix

By my count, their tropes list is 262 entries long and around 10,000 words. Which is, for comparison, more than twice the size of the entry for Citizen Kane, which comes in at 126 and around 5,000. To be fair, that includes all three Matrix movies, but then anyone who thinks the second two movies are worth talking about in any context except a scriptwriting class entitled: 'This week: what not to do,' doesn't really deserve fairness. There are ten thousand words and two hundred and sixty-two trope entries. Not including the linked pages to Animatrix and video game spin-offs.

I think that counts as 'Yes, they've seen it.'

And of course they have. Check out the quote they chose to lead the post with:

quote:

"The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There is not one, but two tropes about siblings loving.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 23, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Just when I thought TVT couldn't get any worse with their perversions. And then I saw the brother-sister loving

So on a lark I decided to check out Pacific Rim and as expected this page is huge: 16.000 words and about 27 pages long. Compared to the Hamlet entry which is just shy of 6000 words and about 11 pages. This is the problem with TV Tropes: it's not a literary reference at all, it's just a place for geeks to sperg out about each and every little detail of their pet likes while genuine literature is only given half as much attention.

And yes, I had a professor who actually recommended TV Tropes to her students. She even used trope-speak while discussing literature :cripes:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 25, 2013

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

And yes, I had a professor who actually recommended TV Tropes to her students. She even used trope-speak while discussing literature :cripes:

Good lord it's spreading.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

quote:

And yes, I had a professor who actually recommended TV Tropes to her students. She even used trope-speak while discussing literature

Was she otherwise a good teacher? I'm getting curious about this. I know a decent professional writer who quite likes TVTropes, for instance, but they aren't a troper, they just casually browse it every now and again and so haven't seen the depths. :cthulhu: At least some of the terms are fairly current outside the site itself - Anita Sarkeesian seems at least somewhat influenced by it, for instance, and while I don't agree with everything she says she does seem like a dignified and, you know, normal person. So while the site itself is horrible, there seems to be a stratum of users who are reasonable human beings capable of producing good work.

Of course, this makes sense - the most obsessive people about any subject are probably the worst, especially something like a wiki where there's no reward except the obsession itself and no entry bar to keep out the idiots - but I do wonder about its ripple effect. My views of it are gloomy, of course, and I reckon that any good ideas people take from TVTropes are probably 'tropes' that are obvious and major and were recognised long before the tropers got into them, but I'd be interested to know what other goons have run into in real life...

Also the sibling incest oh my. This is the actual first paragraph for 'Brother-Sister incest':

quote:

Nothing adds that certain je ne sais quoi to a storyline like a romantic or sexual attraction between siblings. Most of the time it may be merely implied, but sometimes it's laid out right in the open for the viewer to see. Its presence in a story usually adds a great deal of emotional intensity.

Good writing? Exciting pacing? Complex characterisation? Profound themes? Social relevance? Thrilling plot twists? Heart-wrenching drama? Nah, the gold medal has to go to incest every time. :aaaaa:

EDIT: I got to thinking about this bizarre claim, and asked myself: how many good works of art can I think of that feature anything approaching the kind of sibling incest they're so into? I could only think of three: The Secret History by Donna Tartt, in which one of the many psychological disaster areas uncovered by the murder is that the twin brother and sister are sexually involved, and Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, in which the ultimate marriage is between two first cousins who have been raised together as quasi-siblings since the ages of nine and sixteen, and the film Lone Star, in which the lovers discover at the end, to their shock, that the reason their families opposed their relationship was that they actually share a father. Of those, only the last plays the incest theme as a major plot element. All of them are variants on the theme of the kind you might find interesting if you were genuinely interested in the way incest can be used to make drama interesting.

So, what do we have?

The Secret History features two links. The first is to 'Surprise Incest' (that is, incest between people who didn't know they were related), which is not in the book. The narrator is surprised, the twins know perfectly well that they're brother and sister. The second is to 'Twincest':

quote:

Twincest

"Twincest is wincest!"

Popular culture often expects twins to share everything, including, it seems, their beds. It's a particularly common trope in Slash Fic and Rule 34, though it does occur in mainstream fiction often enough to be a discernible trope. It's especially common as a way of making Creepy Twins just that much more disturbing.

Note that Twincest is not necessarily homosexual: that's what fraternal and Half-Identical Twins are for.

I'll just leave you to contemplate that. Along with the fact that they insist that the other tropes include:

quote:

Ambiguously Jewish: Bunny speculates that Henry might be, though only because Henry is refusing to front him money...

Batman-Gambit...

Five-Man Band (/Five-Bad Band): Deconstructed eight ways from Sunday.
The Hero: Henry.
The Lancer: Charles.
The Smart Guy: Francis.
The Big Guy: Bunny.
The Chick: Camilla.
The Sixth Ranger: Richard.
The Mentor: Julian.

:fuckoff:

Mansfield Park. They have apparently failed to pick up in the fetish here, for which we must be thankful - presumably anime pervs don't read Austen - and have nothing worse than 'Kissing Cousins.' But it also includes these gems:

quote:

All Girls Want Bad Boys: Maria and Julia both fall too hard for Henry Crawford to hate him for manipulating them both and instead just become jealous of each other. Fanny Price Snr. seems to have fallen prey to this when she married Lt Price, which could be why Fanny doesn't want to repeat the mistake with Crawford, even if the financial difficulties don't apply...

Betty and Veronica: With four different triangles:
Edmund (Archie), Fanny (Betty), Mary Crawford (Veronica);
Fanny (Archie), Edmund (Betty), Henry Crawford (Veronica);
Henry (Archie), Fanny (Betty) and Maria Bertram (Veronica);
Maria (Archie), Mr. Rushworth (Betty), Henry (Veronica)...

Break the Cutie: Fanny, the entire book...

Have a Gay Old Time:
Poor Fanny sure gets "knocked up" a lot, not to mention all the "intercourse" and Henry Crawford "making love" to her. Also, when Henry Crawford is discussing with his sister the possibility of seducing Fanny, one of his questions about her is "Is she queer?"

In Austen's time, "coming out" meant when a girl "entered society" - i.e., became eligible for marriage - by attending her first ball, as Fanny does in the middle of the novel. The modern-day meaning of it being when a gay or bisexual person announces their orientation is a twist on the old meaning, since it usually marks their entrance into the dating scene, too...

Shipper on Deck:
It seems everyone who knows about the proposal ships Fanny with Henry Crawford. Except Mrs Norris who would not like to see Fanny elevated.
At first, Mrs Grant ships Mary and Tom and Julia and Henry, even before they meet each other as she would just love to have her half-siblings settled near her home.
Mrs Norris boasts that it was her who made the match between her darling Maria and Mr Rushworth. She also ships Julia and Henry.
Sir Thomas supports Mary and Edmund as their relationship is openly acknowledged even though there was no formal proposal or engagement.

TVTropes: we're an academic resource! :downsbravo:

And finally, Lone Star, the only one where there might actually be some interesting themes and observations, given that the relationship between Sam and Pilar stands both as a complex character situation and a thematic reflection on Texas's tangled and painful history. What do we have?

quote:

We don't have an article named Film/LoneStar. If you want to start this new page, just click the edit button above.

EDIT AGAIN: somebody reminded me that incest is also a major element in Ian McEwan's The Cement Garden. Hm, let's see...

quote:

We don't have an article named Main/TheCementGarden. If you want to start this new page, just click the edit button above.

Nope. It only gets a mention on the list of incest page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/BrotherSisterIncest/Literature. His book has incest in it, and that's all there is to say about it.

Incest. It adds that je ne sais quoi! That's why we don't talk about it in works of art where it's actually an interesting narrative device! :smugissar:

Nous savons exactly quoi you think incest adds to fiction. I know it, you know it, my neighbour's dog knows it, which is why he's looking at you with fear in his big brown eyes. Stop pretending and go set up an honest fetish site, you deniers.

Apple Tree fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 25, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Apple Tree posted:

Stop pretending and go set up an honest fetish site, you deniers.

:nws: They did exactly that. :magical:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Fetish-fan what :gonk:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Well, at least they'll never let any works pandering to awful incest fetishists on the site again-

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LightNovel/OniiChanDakedoAiSaeArebaKankeinaiYoNe?from=LightNovel.OniAi

quote:

After six years of living apart due to their parents' death, Himenokouji Akito decides to have his younger twin sister, Akiko, living together with him as a family. The problem is, Akiko is in love with him — and not in the familial sense that is normal between brothers and sisters, but full-blown romantic/sexual love between man and woman. And she is unashamed of it, actually displaying her incestuous affection beyond common sense instead.

Yeah, they really haven't been bothering to ban more recent stuff from the site at all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/DonkeyKongCountry

There is a Nightmare Fuel for Donkey Kong. Tropers have nightmares have 2d platform games that have zero blood in them.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Tropers are a bunch of babies.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Time to revisit the classics. :allears:

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Ugh. It's the phrase more than the fetishes that bothers me. If you've got a fetish and you can find consenting adults, fine, whatever, everyone has their thing, just don't do it in the street and frighten the purple ponies. But when you start describing as 'fetish fuel' something that YOU YOURSELF acknowledge is 'accidental' - ie, NOT ACTUALLY PORN...

I used to know this autistic guy (actually autistic, not self-diagnosed-on-the-Net) who didn't know how to say 'I found this woman attractive.' So he'd always say 'This woman on the train was coming on to me' - even when the chances were that she was probably just riding the same train as him and minding her own business. (He was a nice guy, if kinda mixed up, but not exactly suavely presented.) Seriously, this is the troper attitude: if it turns me on, it's 'fetish fuel'. It's hitting on me.

It's the sexual equivalent of 'trope averted'. The concept comes first, and everything in reality is in service to it. If it happens, it's a trope, if it doesn't happen, trope averted. If it's supposed to turn me on, it's porn, if it's not supposed to turn me on, it's fetish fuel.

And especially gross since of the four paragraphs on the home page, a whole paragraph is dedicated to perving on kid stuff:

quote:

This also has the funny side effect of even happening with children's programming, but to the kids watching it, not the adults. It doesn't mean they are experiencing sexual arousal (unless they are "early bloomers"), just that they might feel they are enjoying a part of a show a bit "too much". Why this is funny is that some people get up in arms about family friendly programming not showing anything dirty, but they seem to think it's limited to a princess's dress showing any sort of cleavage, not whether a princess is hypnotized.

Yeah, those hilarious family friendly people who can't anticipate every fetish in the world! It's so funny! We outmanouevre the squares with our kookiness! That's why we have a site any child can enter as long as they hit the 'I understand and want to continue' button, because we're hilariously slippery!

Either that, or we just have the same reading age and viewing age as a small child.

Apple Tree fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 25, 2013

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

DoctorPresident posted:

Tropers are a bunch of babies.

quote:

Oh and to make things worse? The first game's game over screen DOESN'T GO AWAY until you press a button on your controller. Even when the music ends, it will stay there to haunt you forever until you mash the "A" button so that you can be relieved to see the opening again.

That last sentence is spoilered for some reason.

quote:

The game over screen from the GBC version can be even worse.

I can barely stand to look at it!

quote:

K. Rool worsens by the end of DKC2, where he is actually shown beating DK and shooting him with his gun; he also shoots weird clouds from his gun which either freeze, slow down, or reverse the control of your characters.

My nightmares are haunted by clouds. Every night I'm terrified they will reverse my controls.

quote:

Donkey Kong Land III - after beating the game with the normal ending (but not yet getting 100% Completion) attempting to enter the Lost World will result in suddenly being hit with the "You Need However Many Coins To Enter" screen, which is a digitized render of Baron K. Roolenstein against a black background while the super-happy credits music plays.

The only thing more scary than gloomy music is happy music.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
"Fetish Fuel" in Kingdom Hearts? Man, they really sound like they're grasping for straws here (and probably wet their pants whenever they hear the ice cream truck coming around the corner).

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
When it comes to "Nightmare Fuel", nothing will ever top this page.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That is 7601 words of tropers making GBS threads their pants over ponies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The only actual Nightmare Fuel involving My Little Pony is the (unintended) audience.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 25, 2013

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The only actual Nightmare Fuel involving My Little Pony is the audience.

If you're scared of five-year-old girls, you lose the right to poke fun at tropers' fears. :cheeky:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Apple Tree posted:

If you're scared of five-year-old girls, you lose the right to poke fun at tropers' fears. :cheeky:

I really should've been more specific.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

•From the Comic-con preview, Twilight witnessing Luna's breakdown and transformation into Nightmare Moon.
◦During that breakdown, Luna ends up smashing a stone arch and screaming "There can only be one princess in Equestria! And that princess will be ME!!!"
◦Not to mention how she FREAKING LAUGHS when she turned into Nightmare Moon!!
◦The threatening eclipse that happens in the background. Nightmare Moon isn't horsing around.
:aaaaa:

Bear Sleuth posted:

The only thing more scary than gloomy music is happy music.
I know that this is incredibly petty, but I love that the troper here shows off his mad technical knowledge (more words = smarter!) by calling it a "digitized render". Like the developers rendered the villain, then printed out the image and scanned it back in for the game.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 25, 2013

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I really should've been more specific.

Yes indeed. Didn't you know that if you say bad things about them online, five-year-old girls come and hide under your bed, wait for night to fall, and then, when you're least expecting it, they jump out and GET YOU?!?!?

Little girls are scary motherfuckers if you cross them.

And I know this because TVTropes is scared to death of them. Check out how many varieties there are!

quote:

Creepy children are frequently female, and often Emotionless Girls. They can be, among other things, a Robot Girl, an Oracular Urchin, a changeling, a Waif Prophet, a Strange Girl, or Evil ... Compare and contrast Psychopathic Manchild and the usually much more proactive and physically dangerous Enfant Terrible. See also Undead Child and Ambiguous Innocence. Also compare Creepy Cute.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreepyChild

I'm not going to comment on the 'Psychopathic Manchild' thing, it'd be shooting fish in a barrel. I'll just say that the trope page on that includes My Little Pony fan fiction: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PsychopathicManchild

That fan fiction involves torture. Both examples.

This is, let's remember, not on the Nightmare Fuel pages. :shrug:

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Apple Tree posted:

This is, let's remember, not on the Nightmare Fuel pages. :shrug:

Of course not, the fanfic in question is so prolific it has a page of its own!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Apple Tree posted:

I'm not going to comment on the 'Psychopathic Manchild' thing, it'd be shooting fish in a barrel. I'll just say that the trope page on that includes My Little Pony fan fiction: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PsychopathicManchild

That fan fiction involves torture. Both examples.

For a moment I thought this was amazingly self-aware until I checked the page and realized that the examples were the fanfics' characters, not authors.

The "Headscratchers" (read: whining about plot holes) page for Bionicle (a series of Lego toys with the bare-bones plot of "heroes with elemental powers fight bad guys") is over ten thousand words long. This academic literary analysis site has dedicated more effort to complaining about the "plot" of a small set of children's toys than it has to analyzing anything of merit.

Apparently tropers finally realized that Nabokov's Lolita isn't actually pedoshit and restored the page. Let's see what they have to say about it!

quote:

Lolita is a 1955 novel by Vladimir Nabokov about the relationship between erudite pedophile Humbert Humbert and his stepdaughter/kidnappee Dolores Haze. The action takes place between 1947 and 1952, and is chock-full of convoluted wordplay, multilingual puns, and allusions to everything from entomology to Edgar Allan Poe. Originally written in English and set in the US, it had to be published in France as pornography because no one else would touch it. Nabokov himself pointed out that this is probably the main reason why parents don't name their daughters "Lolita" any more.

This is where we get the terms "Lolita Complex" or "lolicon" in Japan, and the slang for "lolita", meaning a sexually attractive and/or promiscuous young girl.

Adapted into two films, one by Stanley Kubrick, the other by Adrian Lyne.

Trope Namer for Lolicon.

They literally spend more effort discussing "lolicon" than they do discussing the novel itself. Well, maybe the list of tropes will be better?

quote:

A Boy and His X: A man and his under-aged lover.

Affably Evil: Humbert Humbert in spades. There's at least one moment in the book (which also turns up in some form in the movie adaptations) in which he contemplates killing his wife and how easily he could get away with it, but finds that he really is just too nice to do it. In some ways, this actually makes him even worse, and the mid-story Diabolus ex Machina that puts her out of his way is made that much more bitterly ironic. The unabridged audio book version, read by Jeremy Irons, carries this further - Irons' reading over twelve hours almost makes the character's actions excusable.

Anti-Villain: Humbert Humbert again. He does show a streak of genuine guilt from time to time in his narrative and try to make up—in part—for what he's done to Lolita.

Author Avatar: Oddly, given his crimes and Nabokov's own opinion toward him, Humbert could count for this, being one of a number of Nabokov protagonists who, like the author himself, is a highly cultured emigre. This is tidily averted in one aspect: Nabokov was a respected lepidopterist. H.H. sees hawk-moths in the Arizona twilight and thinks they are hummingbirds. It is also interesting to note how Humbert discredits his journal as being a work of fiction using people he knows as archetypes and putting them into extreme situations. He even says that this is part of the trade of the author as well.

:stare:

I'm not even past the A's and I'm already done with this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

For a moment I thought this was amazingly self-aware until I checked the page and realized that the examples were the fanfics' characters, not authors.

The "Headscratchers" (read: whining about plot holes) page for Bionicle (a series of Lego toys with the bare-bones plot of "heroes with elemental powers fight bad guys") is over ten thousand words long. This academic literary analysis site has dedicated more effort to complaining about the "plot" of a small set of children's toys than it has to analyzing anything of merit.

Apparently tropers finally realized that Nabokov's Lolita isn't actually pedoshit and restored the page. Let's see what they have to say about it!

They literally spend more effort discussing "lolicon" than they do discussing the novel itself. Well, maybe the list of tropes will be better?

:stare:

I'm not even past the A's and I'm already done with this bullshit.

At least they actually call him a pedophile and don't try any of this 'Ephebophilia' bullshit they'd normally do.

• Locked thread