Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Try to unfocus and go around them. If that's not manageable, you're going to have to start charging for a level 2 earlier than usual (save your meter for when you're in clouds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

gently caress the touhou police the tournament is live.

Good luck~

E: A reminder, a match only counts once blitz or I see a replay.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 14, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yo HGH, I ain't got plat and you didn't put any contact info in the roster, so I'll just put it here: Come to #TouhouLP if you wanna throw down or whatever.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

To whoever "the great guy" is, it looks like, due to issues with Comcast or something we haven't figured out, I'm only allowed one minute or so of playtime until the game crashes. Because of that, we'd probably need to do best 3/5 matches where both of us start with 1/5 of an orb left for health.

POFV netplay is so terrible.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Have English patches for DDC come to any sort of completion yet? I'm waiting til that's the case before I go and hunt down the game.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Aliginge posted:

Have English patches for DDC come to any sort of completion yet? I'm waiting til that's the case before I go and hunt down the game.

The english patch was available about a week or so after the game came out. Every game for the foreseeable future is being done through a unified patch thing (for better or worse) which you can find here.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
nekoxid, I don't have Platinum or anything, so come by to the #TouhouLP channel or Hamachi so we can meet and play.

(I'm in the PST time zone, hopefully there aren't problems due to this)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If there are any buffs on Sino-Japanese folklore in the thread: what can you tell me about Hakugyokurou? The real one, I mean. The real mythological one. It's hard to search for because I don't know what it's called in Chinese and all the results for "Hakugyokurou" are about Touhou. :eng99:

The one semi-useful thing I read seemed to suggest that it's a metaphor for the afterlife in one (and only one?) particular poem, but it's also in the Japanese dictionary I use saying it's a "celestial tower of dead poets, artists, etc.", so that doesn't seem right.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 17, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Some extensive googling later, literally the only thing I could find is:

Touhou Wiki posted:

The term Hakugyokurou comes from Chinese legends of the Tang Dynasty (唐朝). It was said to be the place where artists go after death. Li He (李賀), a poet in those days, heard a voice in a dream he had as he was dying; the voice said, "Hakugyokurou has been completely built, so come and write down its details." The story is the beginning of Hakugyokurou.

and absolutely nothing is cited so it could all just be bullshit. Seems to match up with your dictionary definition though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Hey Namtab, I'm going to go ahead and drop out of the tournament; I haven't seen TheGreatGuy at all, but even if I do happen to win by any chance, I think it'd be pretty terrible if everyone else had to deal with the one minute thing I have going because of Comcast. :argh:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

BlitzBlast posted:

and absolutely nothing is cited so it could all just be bullshit. Seems to match up with your dictionary definition though.
It came from the book Li He: A Biography (李贺小传). It's pretty hard to understand, but to sum it up, the beginning talks about Li He's life habits especially on how he works on his poem. Then it gets interesting with his conversation with a messenger of heaven when he's about to die of sickness at the age of 27, and ends with a reflection of his unfulfilled life compares to heaven in lamentation. Pretty sad story. Kinda remind me of Yuyuko. :smith:

The Hakugyokurou (Tower of White Jade) is mentioned by the messenger "The Heavenly Emperor just had his Hakugyokurou built, so he summon you to come and write down its details."

That's all there's to Hakugyokurou, and Zun is referencing it as a place that only dead people goes to.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 18, 2013

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, I see. It's from something that was said to have happened to Li He himself. At some point I got confused and thought it came from something he had written. That makes more sense. And if it's literally just a phrase, that also explains why it's so hard to find anything else on it.

Where does the thing about the size of the Touhou Hakugyokurou's gardens come in? Is that from an unrelated story? Or did ZUN just make that up?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

FractalSandwich posted:

Oh, I see. It's from something that was said to have happened to Li He himself.
It's written by his friend Li Shangyin, a much more successful poet who's heavily inspired by Li He's work and written this to lament the talent that's wasted to sickness and Li He's failure to become a higher ranking official.

quote:

Where does the thing about the size of the Touhou Hakugyokurou's gardens come in? Is that from an unrelated story? Or did ZUN just make that up?
Nothing about the garden, so Zun probably was inspired by something else.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nyaa posted:

Nothing about the garden, so Zun probably was inspired by something else.

It's incredibly common in Indian mythology (which is where Buddhism comes from) to describe things using ridiculous numbers, presumably to make them seem otherwordly and impressive. In that sense I suppose you could consider it culturally equivalent to a "begat" joke: anyone familiar with the Abrahamic religions will get the textual allusion. Or something actually was described like that, who knows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbers_in_Hindu_scriptures

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Word of advice for everyone doing the PoFV tourney: agree who gets to save the replays before the matches, or else you might accidentally destroy all traces of your long, very close 3 round match and have a bunch of rematches instead.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Any of you fine gentlemen and ladies have some good and easy Youtube playlists of Touhou music I can listen to while studying for my Logic test and dying repeatedly on Dark Souls?

Not at the same time, of course.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I almost always just listen to the House Sets, and since the already existing one isn't in order I just threw together a playlist for them.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Artificer posted:

Any of you fine gentlemen and ladies have some good and easy Youtube playlists of Touhou music I can listen to while studying for my Logic test and dying repeatedly on Dark Souls?

Not at the same time, of course.

Related links for each of the games are easy to find. Sadly, they're not full songs which leaves beauties like this out. I just love violin.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I already posted them several pages back, but I have two Touhou music compilations on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dranxis/videos They're both made up of soothing arrangements, one video is instrumentals and the other is vocals. Maybe they can help when you're playing Dark Souls?

I'm planning on putting together a compilation video of gloomy and eerie arrangements for Halloween, but I'm still trying to find more songs I can use. I'd appreciate any suggestions people can think of. :) These are the songs I'm pretty sure I want to use (track name / circle name / album name):

1. とこしえの黄泉 / Yoshida-Mirai Project / 東方ギムナジウム
2. Sweets Time Midnight / NJK Record / Crimson Glory
3. 霊知の太陽信仰 / TAMUSIC / ピアノのための東方夜想曲集「Kwaidan」
4. Disconnected. / C.H.S. / Unconnected.
5. おやすみな最速降下曲線 / schwarzwald / ぶつりをするたび ちしきがふえるね EP
6. 常識破壊果物 / O-Life Japan / 鋭鋒乃風導
7. 夜間飛行 / Melodic of Harp / 花が彩映るその庭で…
8. Folklore of the Living Dead / schwarzwald / per speculum in aenigmate

These are some other songs I'm considering, but I'm iffy on them for one reason or another.

9. 芥川龍之介の河童 / MA.S ATTACK / Drawn Drones Drown Drone
10. Prologue / Secret Messenger / 幻想の境界 -the Garden of phantasmagoria-
11. ポイズンボディ ~ Forsaken Doll / MA.S ATTACK / NO LIFE, NO BOMB, GRAZE!!
12. 幾星霜の夜空 / Amateras Records / Helius Aggregation
13. 月をも焦がせ不死の炎、燃ゆるは憤怒の狼煙 / Shiroi Shimashima Usagi / 東方和楽・通

One thing I should mention, I don't want to use more than one arrangement of the same song. So I'm not planning on using another U.N. Owen was Her? or Hartmann's Youkai Girl arrangement because I've already got them. You can still recommend arrangements of those in case I like 'em better than the ones I'm using. Thanks!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's not really music you relax to but this Mohican Sandbag collection is reasonably long.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did ZUN's Georgia con happen yet? I need to get merchandise from that con even though I'm nowhere's near the state.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Did ZUN's Georgia con happen yet? I need to get merchandise from that con even though I'm nowhere's near the state.

AWA starts Friday, though they refuse to post their schedule online. No idea when his panel is, or what the announcement will be, if any.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

waddler posted:

AWA starts Friday, though they refuse to post their schedule online. No idea when his panel is, or what the announcement will be, if any.

This is entirely normal for AWA. They also don't mail out badges. If you want the con program, you have to stand in the badge line for either 45 minutes if you're buying at the door, or 90+ minutes if you paid in advance.

I was so spoiled by the sheer professionalism in my visits to PAX that I haven't been able to stomach an anime convention since. The difference is like night and day.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

waddler posted:

It's been up for like a week at least: http://schedule.awa-con.com/

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Looks like Zun has two different panels but zero autograph sessions.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

quote:

ZUN doesn’t think you have what it takes to defeat his Touhou games. We think you do. Prove us right by conquering his first person shooter in front of him. We're not responsible for any trash talking that may occur. ;)

Call of Duty: Touhou Ops to be released at AWA?!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hokuto posted:

This is entirely normal for AWA. They also don't mail out badges. If you want the con program, you have to stand in the badge line for either 45 minutes if you're buying at the door, or 90+ minutes if you paid in advance.

Man your con sounds awesome. The one time my friends convinced me to go to one, I had to stand around for 4 and a half hours and go through five different lines (line outside, line inside, line to the laptops, line to the payment, line to the printer) to buy at the door, because the guys running the con couldn't be assed to bring more than four laptops and one printer.

And the worst part is that when I got to the laptops, they just had me register on the site for paying in advance. Not like everybody in the room was carrying a mobile phone or anything. :suicide:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

Man your con sounds awesome. The one time my friends convinced me to go to one, I had to stand around for 4 and a half hours and go through five different lines (line outside, line inside, line to the laptops, line to the payment, line to the printer) to buy at the door, because the guys running the con couldn't be assed to bring more than four laptops and one printer.

And the worst part is that when I got to the laptops, they just had me register on the site for paying in advance. Not like everybody in the room was carrying a mobile phone or anything. :suicide:

I was spoiled by PAX. They mail out your con badges 2 weeks in advance. If you're not getting a swag bag first thing in the morning, you can walk in immediately as long as you flash your badge to the con center staff. They have teams of dedicated enforcer staff at every panel area, and they maintain order in queues and actively take headcounts and enforce cutoffs, all while keeping the lines behind tape and not allowing them to sprawl out into the main thoroughfares and block traffic. The con centers have staff working around the clock during con hours to pick up trash and keep bathrooms clean.

I just can't go back to other cons after that. I've had a taste of the good life.

The only way it could be any better is if had it the Comiket policy on photography. If you want to stop and photograph a cosplayer or anybody else, you're not allowed to block a giant chunk of the hall while trying to get your perfect shot and pose. You have to go to the designated cosplay corral to do picture taking. It sounds stringent, but with the sheer amount of human traffic Comiket gets (500,000 people per day for 3 days straight), it's absolutely necessary.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Everything I know about Comiket I learnt from reading Hang in There Kogasa-San and while I'm sure it's a lot of fun I don't think I actually want to attend something like that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I went to a Comiket once. It's pretty exciting when you're there. The human traffic is... well... You get used to it if you take Tokyo trains at rush hour enough, and I did. But the sales halls for all the different comic sellers are surprisingly spacious and accommodating for the amount of people there. I had no trouble getting everything I wanted in a short time once I got in, and it was a lot of fun to browse the rest and make a few impulse buys. My experience there was really positive overall.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Thanks for the playlists, guys. :)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Artificer posted:

Thanks for the playlists, guys. :)

The best thing is that Touhou comes in almost every genre imaginable. I should start listening to Gensokyo Radio again, though. Their site looks a lot nicer since the last time I visited.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I'm really bad at starting fan art and never finishing it, but I did finish coloring this Futo recently:

I also made a personal Tumblr to put her on since I'm not going back to Deviantart. I'm a little scared of Tumblr though.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
IT BEGINS

https://twitter.com/korindo/status/383603795168481280

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bout to set off to AWA, hopefully I can grab one of those shirts before they're gone.

Any suggestions for questions to ask if there's a Q&A in his panels?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bakanogami posted:

Bout to set off to AWA, hopefully I can grab one of those shirts before they're gone.

Any suggestions for questions to ask if there's a Q&A in his panels?

Ask him to explain what exactly the shinrei in Ten Desires are. They seem to contradict the description given in PMiSS and SoPM.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I imagine he gets a lot of :spergin: questions back in Japan, keep stuff simple/fun.

Ask him what's his favorite American beer.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Ask him if he's ever going to make another 2P shooter :smith:

also about Mima or whatever

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yo HGH and CuddlyZombie please play your loser bracket match by the end of Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Namtab posted:

Yo HGH and CuddlyZombie please play your loser bracket match by the end of Saturday.

But we already played it like 2 weeks ago. We lost both replays because of a gently caress up with PoFV. I'm pretty sure I sent a message about it too and asked on IRC but never got an answer.