Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

If for nothing else, I love this show for providing me with a vocabulary of "profanity" that I can use around my kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
These past few episodes are a really good example of how Adventure Time has been expanding to appeal to all audiences. You've got completely independent silly episodes like Time Sandwich, episodes that contribute to an overarching plot like The Vault, and a mixture of both with Love Games. People on one side keep complaining that Adventure Time is getting too serious, and the other side that there's not enough serious episodes, when in actuality there's a healthy amount of both.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

thelaughingman posted:

You should see her take on female comedians.

Apparently this video doesn't exist.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Maria Bamford's delivery on "You don't have to be embarrassed by your innocence." was the perfect blend of sweet and creepy. She's just so good.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Did anyone else get a real Futurama vibe from this episode? I'm not sure what it was

I actually got the same feeling, I think it's just Jake channeling Bender.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Squirrel voiced by... Jeremy Shada!

Edit: Dungeon train, short preview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UHc94tVv58

Long preview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n63XFN9isA

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 25, 2013

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
Apparently Season 3 of Adventure Time has recently started airing in Japan.

I really, really want to hear Lemongrab's voice in Japanese.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MojoKingBee posted:

Apparently Season 3 of Adventure Time has recently started airing in Japan.

I really, really want to hear Lemongrab's voice in Japanese.

容認できないいいいいいいいいいい!

(Translator's note: Means Unacceptable)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Andy Ristaino confirmed (Through Jesse Moynihan) that the tiger in The Vault was in fact Jake's past life.
http://spring.me/skronked/q/506891989434789585

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Easy way to lay pipeline to a future Fiona and Cake spinoff. They're future lives of Finn and Jake!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Say Nothing posted:

Andy Ristaino confirmed (Through Jesse Moynihan) that the tiger in The Vault was in fact Jake's past life.

Man I appreciate that answer but I wouldn't have answered that question just out of spite because of how rudely it was asked

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Say Nothing posted:

It saddens me that people keep pestering Jesse and the others about whether it was Shoko or the tiger who was Finn's past life. The episode made it abundantly clear that Shoko is in fact Finn's past life.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Say Nothing posted:

:argh: :MY QUESTIONS MUST BE ANSWERED! Not like you guys are busy with a hit TV show or anything!

:fuckoff:
People like this are the worst. It's like they are entitled to everything when the creators owe them nothing.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The entitlement radiating from that question, my god. :saddowns: I feel bad for those guys.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Say Nothing posted:

Skeptical me thinks maybe they just said it to keep the kid from bugging them

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Easy way to lay pipeline to a future Fiona and Cake spinoff. They're future lives of Finn and Jake!

Eh, I think the explanation where Ice King is just that mental that he caused a genderbent elseworld to pop into existence works better purely on comedy value.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Steve Yun posted:

Skeptical me thinks maybe they just said it to keep the kid from bugging them

On the other hand, it's kind of nice to imagine Jake and Finn seek each other out across time and space. They're Ooo's Blackadder and Baldric.

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007
It's awesome if the tiger's origin story is true, though, and not just a way to throw an annoying fan off their backs (seriously, that kid was being a toe). Kind of irked that there are still people out there who NEED TO KNOW FOR SURE STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH OMG that Finn is meant to be Shoko's spiritual descendant and not...uh, the tiger's. You know, the tiger whose character was developed maybe 1/10th as much as Shoko's? The tiger who had maybe 1 minute of screentime? I guess to some people, being an animal is always going to seem like the more preferable option to having to be ~*~a girl~*~
Also, Finn's line should have cleared things up: "Yeah, I was her! Except she was a chubby tiger. No, no, no, wait, wait, wait... She was riding the tiger, and she wasn't scary."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MindTheGap posted:

It's awesome if the tiger's origin story is true, though, and not just a way to throw an annoying fan off their backs (seriously, that kid was being a toe). Kind of irked that there are still people out there who NEED TO KNOW FOR SURE STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH OMG that Finn is meant to be Shoko's spiritual descendant and not...uh, the tiger's. You know, the tiger whose character was developed maybe 1/10th as much as Shoko's? The tiger who had maybe 1 minute of screentime? I guess to some people, being an animal is always going to seem like the more preferable option to having to be ~*~a girl~*~
Also, Finn's line should have cleared things up: "Yeah, I was her! Except she was a chubby tiger. No, no, no, wait, wait, wait... She was riding the tiger, and she wasn't scary."

I think relying on the the 'Word of God' for stuff which isn't actually mentioned/confirmed in the text is a pretty bad way to approach any piece of media. You're able to think the tiger was one of Jake's past lives without a scriptwriter 'confirming' it IRL and tying your interpretation of what happened in the text to whatever they confirm or deny severely limits your ability to make your own reading. I mean say you think the ending credits song is Finn's mum singing a lullaby to him or PB and Marcy did used to be be an item, it only takes an offhand comment from one of the writing staff to arbitarily invalidate your own interpretation of the text. And say Pendleton Ward announced The Lich is actually the immortal hateful soul of Ronald Regan, that it's not something that's going to ever come up in the show itself but it's a 100% creator confirmed fact, should you start viewing The Lich's actions and agenda through the lense of trickle-down economics?

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Lich is actually the immortal hateful soul of Ronald Regan, should you start viewing The Lich's actions and agenda through the lense of trickle-down economics?

I choose to believe this now. It just makes so much sense

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, the writers aren't going to ruin the mystique of the show by giving away future plot developments, especially to pushy jerks on their formsprings.
Adam Muto has this at the top of his formspring: 'Please don't ask about future plot developments or if certain characters will return'.
And I'm betting the PB/Marceline thing is never going to be answered, Despite Sky Witch clearly showing Marcy and Bubs are in the closet together. as pictured here...

That was a joke, and possibly the writers way of teasing the shippers.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Lich is actually the immortal hateful soul of Ronald Regan, that it's not something that's going to ever come up in the show itself but it's a 100% creator confirmed fact, should you start viewing The Lich's actions and agenda through the lense of trickle-down economics?

What you're not doing this already?? Nerd.

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think relying on the the 'Word of God' for stuff which isn't actually mentioned/confirmed in the text is a pretty bad way to approach any piece of media. You're able to think the tiger was one of Jake's past lives without a scriptwriter 'confirming' it IRL and tying your interpretation of what happened in the text to whatever they confirm or deny severely limits your ability to make your own reading. I mean say you think the ending credits song is Finn's mum singing a lullaby to him or PB and Marcy did used to be be an item, it only takes an offhand comment from one of the writing staff to arbitarily invalidate your own interpretation of the text. And say Pendleton Ward announced The Lich is actually the immortal hateful soul of Ronald Regan, that it's not something that's going to ever come up in the show itself but it's a 100% creator confirmed fact, should you start viewing The Lich's actions and agenda through the lense of trickle-down economics?
That's kind of a weird take-away from my post, which mainly expressed dismay at people in the 21st century balking at the idea of fluid gender norms, but all right. Let's talk about this other subject.

If Pen Ward had said something about the Lich embodying the soul of Ronald Reagan, even if the suggestion of that didn't arise within the show itself, I would still feel compelled to go back and look at the stuff involving the Lich with a revisionist eye and wonder how Pen's Reagan hang-up might be manifesting itself through the Lich's characterization. So, yeah, I would absolutely feel curious about that, when given new information about how the creator views his own creation. Because there's such a thing as audience interpretation, but there's also such a thing as authorial intent. I never said anything about "Word of God" trumping the material itself, either; in fact, I believe my last post started in an ambivalent enough fashion -- "It's awesome if the tiger's origin story is true, though, and not just a way to throw an annoying fan off their backs."

This is also a way broader and more philosophical subject than I reckon we want to get into in an "Adventure Time" thread. Someone post a .gif of Gunter doing a penguin thing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I had come to the conclusion that the tiger was Jake's past life on my own. This is no skin off my back.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I think Adventure Time is the best cartoon show since Batman the Animated series.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Just caught up and oh my glob The Vault was amazing and nothing at all like I thought it would be. This show seriously has some of the best writing I've seen.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I hope the little joke about "let's get back to adventuring and less romance" is at least somewhat telling of the show's direction from here on out. I don't mind it much; I hated how they handled Flame Princess mostly but the way they ended her arc was pretty cool. But there was too much hella smoochy poo poo for me and it feels kinda weird that it's been so long since there's been a very straightforward "adventure" episode.

EDIT: Not to say that there haven't been adventures with episodes, or good episodes or anything. I just can't remember the last time Finn and Jake went out and explored some poo poo, and that was the sole focus of the episode, like The Hard Easy. That's not a bad thing, I just like those episodes and miss em. Dungeon Train should fill that for me, I just want mORE OF THEM!!

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 25, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Finn wants to do more adventuring and ends up having to deal with more smoochy poo poo and face his feelings about FP. That should tell you about the direction of the show.

edit: In season 6 Finn will start shaving.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, I think they're better than having an international role model very vocally run from his problems. He is a hero, not a coward.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, he's trying to run from his problems but can't. I'm okay with calling him a coward for now. He's 14 years old. Who didn't do stupid poo poo when they were 14.

edit: Then again, during the trials he sings about her and kind of deals with his feelings, but only because he doesn't have a choice. I dunno, gotta think it over some more.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Steve Yun posted:

edit: In season 6 Finn will start shaving.
The stubble closeup in Love Games was a cute touch :3

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

nerdbot posted:

I hope the little joke about "let's get back to adventuring and less romance" is at least somewhat telling of the show's direction from here on out. I don't mind it much; I hated how they handled Flame Princess mostly but the way they ended her arc was pretty cool. But there was too much hella smoochy poo poo for me and it feels kinda weird that it's been so long since there's been a very straightforward "adventure" episode.

EDIT: Not to say that there haven't been adventures with episodes, or good episodes or anything. I just can't remember the last time Finn and Jake went out and explored some poo poo, and that was the sole focus of the episode, like The Hard Easy. That's not a bad thing, I just like those episodes and miss em. Dungeon Train should fill that for me, I just want mORE OF THEM!!

Again, I think the show has found a good balance between serious subjects like romance and silly adventure stuff. I think its just hard to tell because we've recently had a bunch of serious episodes in a row.

I don't really care what the subject matter is, as long as the show continues to be fantastic, which it has been.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 25, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nerdbot posted:

I'm pretty sure the preview video for Dungeon Train shows them bringing up the subject again, so we're still in the middle of it. It's a long play. I think there'll be some sort of "Finn has to deal with this once and for all" moment that the show is leading to.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I wonder... did Finn and FP ever exchange things with each other?

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm pretty sure the preview video for Dungeon Train shows them bringing up the subject again, so we're still in the middle of it. It's a long play. I think there'll be some sort of "Finn has to deal with this once and for all" moment that the show is leading to.

I don't think that'll play a big part in this episode. Seemed more like just a passing line to me.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

According to the episode summary, Finn doesn't want to leave ever, which together with that line gives me the impression that he's using the train to distract himself from lady biz.

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 26, 2013

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Shwoo posted:

According to the episode summary, Finn doesn't want to leave ever, which together with that line gives me the impression that he's using the train to distract himself from lady biz.

I was under the impression that he wouldn't want to leave because A.) its a loving never-ending dungeon or B.) the train has something magical about it that traps people.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder... did Finn and FP ever exchange things with each other?

Well, Finn has some of her hair. Or had it at least.

Also, that sweater she made for him. I don't remember that being destroyed but I also don't remember seeing it again.

Edit: Oh dangit misread FP as PB, probably because of the shirt thing there and whatnot. Whoops. Can't think of anything between Finn and FP, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 26, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
FP's hair? I thought it was PB's hair

I'm asking because Maja is setting up to be an enemy whose power comes from sentimental objects. I'm wondering if Finn and FP not having any tokens from each other will come into play...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I brought this up last thread but stuff that is in previews and such are spoilers until the episode airs so please treat them as such. Not trying to backseat mod or anything, I just don't want to have to start reporting people for something this minor. Like the thing in Shwoo post was totally just a spoiler that I would have preferred to not have known until I saw the episode, so just be careful.

• Locked thread