Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
I have been doing a whole lot of clicking in the deployment screen but i cant seem to get any ships to spawn on the sides anyone got a tip for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

qwako posted:

I have been doing a whole lot of clicking in the deployment screen but i cant seem to get any ships to spawn on the sides anyone got a tip for me?

That's only during pursuit battles where the enemy's retreating, lets you cut them off - also only seems to be for fighters and frigates, won't let me flank with my Sunder.

Kitan
Jul 18, 2008

Ceebees posted:

Grievances -

This one is with Starfarer as a whole since the latest version, but nobody ever fights me anymore. I'm actually having a problem with SF i've never had before - i'm bored. Sure, i can gank a half-dozen pirate buffalos for $200,000 in supplies, but... why would i? All i'll have to do in those battles is five minutes of staring at my own ship as i feebly thrust after them, followed by two seconds of loving up their engines, rinse, repeat. I'm running around with a few destroyers and light cruisers, but nothing smaller than a battleship will actually oppose me instead of nope-ing right the gently caress out at the first sign of danger.

(And this is worse with the Gedune wolfpacks and Kadur rebel faction, who can run off the map before even frigates on deploy left/right can catch up with them)

In replying to this specifically, I've been in the same spot. That's why I decided to start modding the game a bit, make my own ships and such. I'm currently working on a ramship similar to the Hammership from that Neutrino mod, made specifically for trying to make things exciting. I won't say it's balanced, but I will say i'm having fun with it. Nothing better than ramming through a pack of buffalo 2's and sending them spinning into the void of space, or better, into each other. That's what keeps me going.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Protagorean posted:

The Gedune Tenzen-class cruiser is rad as hell and I won't hear otherwise. The thing is literally a bunch of guns attached to an engine (and at 7 base burn iirc what an engine). Though even with the max amount of extra ordnance points a person can get, you'll have trouble fitting in all the guns and the flux/hull mods you want, it's still outrageously front-loaded. It's annoying I've only been able to get my hands on two from scouring the sector's (non-restocking) stations, but it's probably for the best, as a fleet of these things would probably wreck poo poo too easily.

Gedune and Kadur just seem to fit this game perfectly, and while I'll definitely always be playing with them, it would be awesome if Alex threw them in to the base game (they both need a bit of balancing, though :v:). Blackrock ships look kickass, while still looking like something that'd be plausably made by humans in-game, I can't wait for them to be ready for 0.6a

The tenzen class inst even that OP compared to the dahaki destroyer that also comes with the mod. It has 70% of the firepower of the former while being way more agile, faster, 360 sheild and to top it all off, it comes with a teleporter...

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

For the Shadowyards fans:

Drawn by MShadowy who also does the mod. I love the lil hands on the ship :allears:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

For the Shadowyards fans:

Drawn by MShadowy who also does the mod. I love the lil hands on the ship :allears:

Looks like something from Outlaw Star.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
Exerelin for 0.6 is out which adds an actual contestable objective to the campaign. Some of the other mod authors need to update their fleet mods for support, but most of them are compatible. http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6053.0

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So I've spent the last 40 minutes or so trying out Exelerin. It seems fun and clearly has a lot more strategic stuff going for it, but it -really- needs a guide. How exactly do you mine? I got a wing of mining drones and went to an asteroid. Waiting about a minute and got 50 resources. Yay! I waited again, this time for ~5 minutes, and got nothing. It there something specific you have to do? Also, early on there's like, nothing to fight. It takes a couple minutes for the stations factions start with to spawn fleets, so you just kind of end up sitting and waiting. As well, I've seen -very- few fleets small enough to take on with just your starting ship. And it will just be your starting ship as stations don't start with any hulls or weapons or crew or any cargo to buy, they seem to get added over time. Which is nice, keeps you from killing a few transport fleets and then getting a Dominator and two Enforcers to kill all things with, and the lack of having access to a lot of weapons helps you feel like there's more progression. No longer do you get a ship and then outfit it with the best money can buy. Now you buy and outfit it as best you can and every so often go to upgrade its armaments. That's neat. BUT, it means no more Lasher buddy to start out with, which combined with a lack of small fleets to prey on can really put you in a bind.

Basically I just wish there was a guide to help figure out what I'm supposed to do and how to do things like capture stations and mine. And it needs to include Kadur as a faction. Space Egypt hoooooo!

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I wish there was more variety in the enemy groups. Right now it seems to go from "a destroyer, couple of frigates and fighters" straight to GIANT STACK OF DOOM, which only compounds the issues with the overly-careful AI. It's very easy to reach a point where there are basically no viable stacks for you to fight. A good starter would be a stack with a single battleship and some light support, so that you could actually get to see the bigger ships without having to build up a massive fleet of your own.

On an unrelated note, has anyone found a use for phase cloak cruisers? Neither me nor the AI seem to be able to do anything productive with them and just end up being the last ship around, then stalling until it overloads and dies.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

With phase ships, the overall strategy is to flank. Any size phase ship can do this, the Doom in particular is a bit of a big investment into this idea, but works very well on Combat specced characters. Make sure the phase ship is alone on one side of the enemy and the rest of your fleet is engaging them from the different side. Then tear the enemy to complete shreds or laugh as they try to corner a ship that can pass directly through enemies.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

With phase ships, the overall strategy is to flank. Any size phase ship can do this, the Doom in particular is a bit of a big investment into this idea, but works very well on Combat specced characters. Make sure the phase ship is alone on one side of the enemy and the rest of your fleet is engaging them from the different side. Then tear the enemy to complete shreds or laugh as they try to corner a ship that can pass directly through enemies.

Pretty much this. Ran into a Tritac fleet with a Doom leading them while playing as Kadur yesterday. I had a Sphinx and a quartet of Falchions, and it only had a Gemini and a couple squads of small craft, I figured it would be easy. God drat, the AI is amazing with those phases. Similar to shields, where they will turn them off and take a few hits on the armor to keep from overloading only to turn them back on for a second to catch your Harpoons, the enemy with Phase cloaks know just when to turn it on and off for maximum effect. Took the Sphinx and a pair of Falchions to finally get enough sustained fire to the point where its brief sojourns into reality were enough to do serious damage. It didn't manage to do much damage, mind, and I still won, but had it been part of a bigger fleet with say, a pair of Wolves and a beefy Destroyer or light cruiser to grab my attention while it flanked and bit my fleet in the rear end, I'd probably have lost a couple of ships if I even managed to win the battle.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Capilarean posted:

I wish there was more variety in the enemy groups. Right now it seems to go from "a destroyer, couple of frigates and fighters" straight to GIANT STACK OF DOOM, which only compounds the issues with the overly-careful AI. It's very easy to reach a point where there are basically no viable stacks for you to fight. A good starter would be a stack with a single battleship and some light support, so that you could actually get to see the bigger ships without having to build up a massive fleet of your own.

Agreed, this is a big problem with the enemies currently. The game needs more fleets with cruisers or lone battleships, because right now there is a huge gap between destroyer-led fleets and multi-battleship-led fleets. Sometimes there's a nice independent mercenary fleet right in the middle, but that's about it. I guess pirates show up with cruisers somewhat often, but they are so easy to beat it doesn't really count.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Agreed, this is a big problem with the enemies currently. The game needs more fleets with cruisers or lone battleships, because right now there is a huge gap between destroyer-led fleets and multi-battleship-led fleets. Sometimes there's a nice independent mercenary fleet right in the middle, but that's about it. I guess pirates show up with cruisers somewhat often, but they are so easy to beat it doesn't really count.

Tri-tach supply fleets might be just what you're looking to fight - they generally have a cruiser, 1-2 destroyers, and some fighters and frigates protecting the freighters.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So uh, how does this Exerlin thing work anyway? I started a new game and it dumps me on the outskirt of a really vast system (like I was sitting for several minutes with my finger on the shift key before I got to some manner of landmark) with a Atlas freighter and troop transport with maximum supplies/fuel/marines in addition to my little frigate. There's no sort of ship activity on the map and when I go to any space stations it just gives me the option to leave. :confused:

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
You start with a troop carrier and a large cargo ship. You need to fly over and through a space station to capture it. It will then proceed to make fleets and create items and ships to buy over time (mining fleets). Capture a system, then move on from there. The logistics calculation is different as well. I am unsure of how though.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

So uh, how does this Exerlin thing work anyway? I started a new game and it dumps me on the outskirt of a really vast system (like I was sitting for several minutes with my finger on the shift key before I got to some manner of landmark) with a Atlas freighter and troop transport with maximum supplies/fuel/marines in addition to my little frigate. There's no sort of ship activity on the map and when I go to any space stations it just gives me the option to leave. :confused:

Yeah, it's rather weird. You have to have your starting fleet hover over the station you want for ~10 seconds before it's captured. This comes into play later as enemy capture fleets have to stay there as well, keeps them from sneaking past your defense fleets by tying them up with combat and just touching it and instantly BAM, station captured. Would be nice if they could make it so neutral stations without an owner captured instantly though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Mining works similarly for being a pain in the rear end. Just get mining drone wings and hover over the asteroid ring for 30+ seconds and you'll get 50 supplies for each mining wing you own. Your personal storage station will come with a mining wing to get you started.

Started with the hiigarian descendants (or whatever it's spelled) because I like their energy weapons and cruisers. (they have poor ballistic choices and unfortunately a lot of their ships seem to prefer it. And their frigate choices are rather weak.) But their freighters are rifuckingdiculous. !000 cargo capacity for a relatively cheap price. It is a cruiser though, so slap a unstable injector on it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah the weapons in Kadur are horribly overpowered. The upside is that at least their point defence rockets are literally entirely useless garbage!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Their weapons are a bit on the powerful side, but they're heavily geared towards a huge alpha strike which combined with long refire times and high flux generation leave them quite vulnerable against anything that can survive the initial barrage intact. All of that combined with thier crappy flux dissipation rates mean they go into overload really quickly if they try to fire their own guns while under heavy bombardment.

I'm actually finding a lot of the vanilla guns to be better than the kadur ones if you actually want any stamina in combat, heavy maulers do about as much damage as coil guns and fire quicker and generate less flux.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, I'm finding that Kadur guns are more like long range sidegrades with poo poo staying power until you can get a few extra OPs on your ships - and at that point, pretty much any weapon set is overpowered, so whatever.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Drakenel posted:

Mining works similarly for being a pain in the rear end. Just get mining drone wings and hover over the asteroid ring for 30+ seconds and you'll get 50 supplies for each mining wing you own. Your personal storage station will come with a mining wing to get you started.
Do you just sit in the ring itself or do you have to sit over an asteroid? I've tried both and have had only sporadic success with both methods.

Really enjoying Exerelin with Hiigaran Descendants. Now if only the stations would spawn a drat Wodaan class carrier. :argh:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Insert name here posted:

Do you just sit in the ring itself or do you have to sit over an asteroid? I've tried both and have had only sporadic success with both methods.

Really enjoying Exerelin with Hiigaran Descendants. Now if only the stations would spawn a drat Wodaan class carrier. :argh:

The ring itself, but if it's around a planet you have to stay with it. It just takes way too loving long. (Understandable, considering the cost of the supplies you're getting, but I'd be happy with fewer if it were more frequent)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Insert name here posted:

I can't quite come to terms with this mod, as he's liberally using the names in all the wrong ways. A "Wodaan" is a mine laying corvette, and it was a ship of the Taiidan Empire, not the Kushans!

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah the weapons in Kadur are horribly overpowered. The upside is that at least their point defence rockets are literally entirely useless garbage!

Do you have any specific suggestions for making them less overpowered? Or specific descriptions of what is overpowered about them/which ones are overpowered? I was trying for long-reload alpha strike/ranged support weapons and aiming for balance parity with vanilla, so if you think they're horribly out of equilibrium I'd like to know why.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The Good Professor posted:

Do you have any specific suggestions for making them less overpowered? Or specific descriptions of what is overpowered about them/which ones are overpowered? I was trying for long-reload alpha strike/ranged support weapons and aiming for balance parity with vanilla, so if you think they're horribly out of equilibrium I'd like to know why.

If using just Kadur weapons I think the balance is fine. The long reloads/high flux of the medium and large guns hurts them in a hefty firefight. Soon as you got fighters and frigates plinking away at you the choice is either drop shields and let the armor soak it(which Kadur can) so you can keep up the fire or throw up the shields and lose a ton of dps.

The only time they feel overpowered is when you have a non-Kadur ship in your fleet dedicated to dropping shields so your massed coilguns can tear poo poo up with impunity. Although, to be fair the VLRM launching in clusters of 4 with so much ammo is a touch on the crazy side sometimes. Between massed missiles and the pd rockets drawing enemy fire you are pretty much guaranteed most of the volley hitting the target. HOWEVER, who doesn't like massive waves of missiles to start a fight. :getin:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
The modding community for this game is really something special. I'm a huge fan of Uomoz's Corvus compilation mod. I really hope that Vayra's 'Kadur Theocracy' get's implemented into Uomoz's compilation in the future, because it's a fantastic contribution.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Can someone give a quick how and what to for mods? The base game seems pretty empty, I'd like to mod it up a bit, but throwing the un-curated kitchen sink at it seems like a bad idea.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I keep getting fatal errors when weapons are loaded for just about every mod I load. It happens whenever I try to equip a mod weapon or randomly on during the campaign (which causes me to lose all progress). I have LazyLib, Blackrock, Kadur and Restock 2.6.

Any help?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Backov posted:

Can someone give a quick how and what to for mods? The base game seems pretty empty, I'd like to mod it up a bit, but throwing the un-curated kitchen sink at it seems like a bad idea.

Unzip and throw into the mods folder in your Starsector folder. Or on mac, right click and "show package contents" then do the same thing.

Certain mods require a utility mod called LazyLib which you can usually find linked in the same thread.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Blackdog420 posted:

The modding community for this game is really something special. I'm a huge fan of Uomoz's Corvus compilation mod. I really hope that Vayra's 'Kadur Theocracy' get's implemented into Uomoz's compilation in the future, because it's a fantastic contribution.

Thanks! Sadly, I don't think that's likely to happen, though. Uomoz has stated that he's removing the Valkyrians in the next update of his compilation, and they're pretty similar as a faction and at least as polished as the Kadur are. I think a large part of it is that he prefers ships with entirely original artwork, etc., and the Kadur are just clumsy kitbashes of existing sprites after all. I will strive for compatibility with Uomoz's though, so people will hopefully be able to play with the Kadur installed alongside it when it gets released.

Backov posted:

What SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND said, but as for specific mods I'd like to recommend:
the Kadur Theocracy (which is mine, hence the shameless plug)
the Gedune, a pretty balanced faction of speedy raiders and such
the Junk Pirates, another pirate faction with a bunch of well-balanced and interesting ships
and Shadowyards Heavy Industries, a high-tech future space hippie corporation with awesome original artwork. They're probably my favorite faction mod that isn't Blackrock Driveyards.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The Shamash Frigate from Shadowyards may be a one-trick pony, but good god is it fun to drive. It's super speedy, punches way above its weight class, and the phase cloak gets you out of sticky situations easily. Also it's very nearly a hard-counter to Kadur vessels - because of its phase cloak and maneuverability it's super easy to get behind Kadur ships, and the main gun on the thing hits so hard you'll take down their armor really quickly or just plain overload their shields. It's pretty flux-efficient, too.

I really don't mind fighting a lot of pursuit battles when I'm driving this thing - at 310 speed units with the zero-flux bonus, I can chase down anything that isn't another speedy frigate or a fighter. The only thing better at chasing that I've driven is the TTC experimental frigate with its absurd teleportation ability.

The combat in this game is really solid. I'm looking forward to the eventual fleshing out of the campaign map.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm currently running an enforcer with 2 dual coil guns and a dual railgun with a flak cannon each side mount so it has 360 degree coverage for antimissle duties.

It absolutely destroys everything because it can just sit at the back of the fight and pelt poo poo with projectiles before they can close to a range that they can use their guns.

HerrMorden
Sep 5, 2004

Thought begets Heresy, Heresy begets Retribution.
Finally got the Hiigaran mod, but where can I purchase those ships? They show up in the simulations but none of the stations seem to carry them :/

I take it the mod isn't savegame compatible?

HerrMorden fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 26, 2013

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Goddamn, the Falchion destroyer from The Good Professor's mod is so much fun. It's fast as hell and isn't too bad on maneuvering (especially if you have auxiliary thrusters), packs a real nice amount of firepower, and has a fuckton of armor which makes it so that shields never really need to be used. My favorite tactic right now is to have my main fleet stay together and bog the enemy down while two Falchions (one piloted by me and the other escorting me) fly around and tear the enemy to shreds from the rear.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

HerrMorden posted:

Finally got the Hiigaran mod, but where can I purchase those ships? They show up in the simulations but none of the stations seem to carry them :/

I take it the mod isn't savegame compatible?

Most if not all... are not. You'd need a separate new game for a mod addition.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Goddamn, the Falchion destroyer from The Good Professor's mod is so much fun. It's fast as hell and isn't too bad on maneuvering (especially if you have auxiliary thrusters), packs a real nice amount of firepower, and has a fuckton of armor which makes it so that shields never really need to be used. My favorite tactic right now is to have my main fleet stay together and bog the enemy down while two Falchions (one piloted by me and the other escorting me) fly around and tear the enemy to shreds from the rear.

I'm glad you're enjoying it -- I actually find myself flying around Falchions most often as well, heh. It's in a nice sort of sweet spot where it has enough guns to kill destroyers and lighter cruisers handily if you pilot it well (i.e. don't accelerate directly towards ships covered in HE weapons), and it's still fast enough to get where it needs to be while the maneuverability isn't quite at the cruiser levels of you-literally-need-phase-shunt-to-turn terribleness. What do you usually kit it out with?

Drakenel posted:

Most if not all... are not. You'd need a separate new game for a mod addition.

This was supposed to change with 0.6a, but as it turns out the code for it wasn't functioning properly and we'll have to wait for 0.6.1a to have mods that can integrate themselves with an existing save, allahu alas.

Regarding the Hiigarans specifically, if you install the mod and start a new game with them they have a big empty system far in the bottom left corner of the sector map.

fake edit:

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'm currently running an enforcer with 2 dual coil guns and a dual railgun with a flak cannon each side mount so it has 360 degree coverage for antimissle duties.

It absolutely destroys everything because it can just sit at the back of the fight and pelt poo poo with projectiles before they can close to a range that they can use their guns.

This but with three heavy maulers, two hypervelocity drivers, four harpoon racks, and something with PD weapons to hide behind was how I liked to fly it, and consequently like 90% of the inspiration for the Kadur Theocracy. Works best if you back off in between volleys, because firing all of those will more or less cap out your flux right there. The Enforcer is my favorite ship in the base game, by far.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tarezax posted:

get behind Kadur ships

Just make sure your alpha takes down their engines so they can't phase shift 180 and unload an entire frontal barrage into your face. Which is something that hasn't happened to me, ever. Nope. Never. :gibs: Though I guess flying a phase ship would help protect against that.

In other news, I freakin' love the Kadur. I've always been partial to missiles, so they fit me perfectly. Though for a missile focused faction I'd kinda expect them to have some form of MRM to fill the gap between their PD missiles and LRMs. As for their non-missile weapons, I find them to be very well balanced. The somewhat slower RoF coupled with high flux generation works out pretty well. I've kinda been feeling that the most overpowered aspect is the PD missiles, they make the AI poo poo a loving brick and flail around trying to shoot them all down. Potentially letting in a wave of 20+ LRMs as their PD batteries reload or swivel around. This is kinda offset in big battles as I manage to take as many hits from my own dormant PD missiles as I score on enemies, slowly wearing my armor away.

The Good Professor posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying it -- I actually find myself flying around Falchions most often as well, heh. It's in a nice sort of sweet spot where it has enough guns to kill destroyers and lighter cruisers handily if you pilot it well (i.e. don't accelerate directly towards ships covered in HE weapons), and it's still fast enough to get where it needs to be while the maneuverability isn't quite at the cruiser levels of you-literally-need-phase-shunt-to-turn terribleness. What do you usually kit it out with?

So far I've found the Flachion to be my favorite as well. I got it blown up in an ill advised fight against the TriTachs a while ago so I used that as an excuse to actually try other stuff. It's got the perfect mix of speed and firepower.

I was flying it around with two medium LRMs, 3 small LRMs (for a barrage of 14 missiles) A twinned coilgun in the medium universal mount and two twinned rail-guns in the ballistic mounts. The final two small universals (the more forward ones) get Sling AMB pods. Add in maneuvering thrusters and expanded missiles magazines. I got it blown up right before I leveled enough for the ECCM module.

Once BRDY and/or the Interstellar Federation update I'll be trying their weapons in the ballistic slots, I love me some Shard autocannons and such.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Interstellar Federation was the poo poo. Their ship hulls were awesome. Can't wait for their update.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Exerelin is really dumb. That's my piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Yeah Exerelin is really stupid and I regret the time I spent modifying individual mod config files so that they would play nice with it. It's pretty much a complete waste of time and is currently inferior to just the base game + mods in every way.