Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Modern Family is struggling a bit now they're a few seasons in and they have to write storylines for all 3 families each week. It's burnt them out pretty quick, and last season suffered for it. If it was The Ty Burrell show and everyone else was relegated to the sidelines, it would be amazing. Ty absolutely kills as Phil on a weekly basis, and most of the time he's not on screen I'm waiting for the other stories to plod along until he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

e: removed griping about other TV shows because really this thread ain't the place for it

Beardless Riker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 25, 2013

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Seinfeld only won Best Comedy once in its run, that made me swear off Emmys forever. Frasier is funny but no way is it 5-years-in-a-row above Seinfeld funny.

30 Rock won its first 3 seasons which I think are the best ones anyway (at least 1 and 2) after that it trails off. Never seen Modern Family.

Amazingly Arrested Development DID win an Emmy. But generally Glenn is right, it seems you have to be a part of the Hollywood/TV industry in the way that the gang isn't to win these awards. At least it wins all the Emmys in our hearts.

(Disclaimer: I've never watched the Emmys anyway)

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

This isn't directly related to award winning but the subject was touched upon in the episode: the best lines are often the ones where everyone's shouting at each other and that mess is impossible to subtitle. You're missing a huge part of the experience if you're can't follow the heated invectives.

I've had trouble showing it to people with little English knowledge because of that. On second thought, maybe the reason they didn't like it wasn't the language, but rather they weren't the "under the bridge" crowd this show appeals to...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

El Murguista posted:

I've had trouble showing it to people with little English knowledge because of that. On second thought, maybe the reason they didn't like it wasn't the language, but rather they weren't the "under the bridge" crowd this show appeals to...

I'd love to know if and how well this show plays overseas. Its such a quintessentially American show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's popular here in Britain, even though it's primarily available to us on Netflix and streams. We're a miserable bunch at heart so we understand where the gang are coming from. It's a shame Seinfeld got relegated to midnight airing as that would've done well too in a good slot. We thrive on misery, and between those two shows - there's a lot of miserable people.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
You know how a lot of Americans say they don't get British humor? I feel like Sunny would be like that for foreign audiences.

Edit: And just as I make that post, the one above me appears. Shows how much I know. :downs: Glad to hear it's popular over there though.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 26, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

i honestly don't know what British humour is these days, I think when people say they don't get it - they're referring to the 70s/80s imports they grew up with. It doesn't really have much of an identity now, which is why I love seeing people like Peter Serafinowicz appearing in US shows, because we definitely have talent just not much in the way of vehicles right now.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

EL BROMANCE posted:

i honestly don't know what British humour is these days, I think when people say they don't get it - they're referring to the 70s/80s imports they grew up with. It doesn't really have much of an identity now, which is why I love seeing people like Peter Serafinowicz appearing in US shows, because we definitely have talent just not much in the way of vehicles right now.

America would never produce something like Luxury Comedy.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 26, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Electromax posted:

Seinfeld only won Best Comedy once in its run, that made me swear off Emmys forever. Frasier is funny but no way is it 5-years-in-a-row above Seinfeld funny.

30 Rock won its first 3 seasons which I think are the best ones anyway (at least 1 and 2) after that it trails off. Never seen Modern Family.

Amazingly Arrested Development DID win an Emmy. But generally Glenn is right, it seems you have to be a part of the Hollywood/TV industry in the way that the gang isn't to win these awards. At least it wins all the Emmys in our hearts.

(Disclaimer: I've never watched the Emmys anyway)

Frasier is pretty good, and a real precursor to The Big Bang Theory. In that it's two main leads are incredibly smart, but when it comes to socialization/relationships they fail miserably.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Right now the first thing that pops up when I hear someone talk about "British humour" is a panel show with two boring ex-Oxbridge dudes, a "voice of da yoof" like Jack Whitehall, and a token Yank like Reginald D. Hunter who says things that Brits want to here from Americans (the whole "gently caress Batman" bit that gets flung about here, for instance).

I don't find that sort of thing funny, but I love Sunny and actually want to play CharDee MacDennis.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Opens with an MLM joke. Love it. It's not that far from how those presentations really go.

EDIT: Hahaha, an E-Meter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how Mac is still wearing his too big Tommy Bahama shirts.

Edit: That was a great title reveal.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

People like us don't get got, they got get.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I'm gonna put 'em on the stool.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Mods, change title to Always Sunny: I'm drinking the berry juice to save my life

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I can't get more stressed, I'm at 157!

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

"Turn it upside down."

"...GOD DAMMIT."

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I can't get more stressed, I'm at 157!

:stare: THAT'S A LOT OF UNITS :stare:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
there should just be an episode called "the gang plays golf"

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

You just got GOT! You thought we were suckers, but we just bought three weeks of a timeshare!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

It's not inconceivable that a weekend at a hotel might cost you twenty grand!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Maniac's back!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And Ben is of course wearing jorts.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Did a couple re-shoots of my own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Charlie confusing the "Andes" with a guy named "Andy."

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

The Sunny gang has borrowed the Bluth family's tape, clearly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Frank in that coil keeps making me laugh so hard.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Frank needs to be stuck in a coil, wearing tightie-whities and dispensing business advice more often.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
THE KIDS, THE KIDS'LL BE HERE!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Emmy's really are a loving joke. IASIP has never been nominated, yet modern family has been nominated 4 times and won all 4 times. It's a good show, but get serious here, it's not that great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primetime_Emmy_Award_for_Outstanding_Comedy_Series#2010s

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

God, I love Ben the Soldier. :allears:

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I love Ben's perpetual

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ben is maybe my favorite side character, tied with Artemis at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sometimes a man stuck in a coil is just a man stuck in a coil.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Whoever played the timeshare salesman was absolutely perfect. He nailed that sincerely insincere attitude.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Is there ANYWHERE you can see any of these episodes legit? (No piracy) This thread is killing me.

Hoffbonics
May 12, 2003

Always a gentleman
youtube.com/letsgotoclass

Ramen Pride! posted:

Is there ANYWHERE you can see any of these episodes legit? (No piracy) This thread is killing me.

You could do a season pass on itunes https://itunes.apple.com/ca/tv-season/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia/id687897518

shinymodem
May 21, 2007
I was really hoping the last shot would have Artemis stuck in the coil with Frank. Oh well, I'll just have to imagine she was stuck in the slide instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, just turned this on. Was a pretty awesome transition from them going "We gonna GET" and saying how they aren't going to get scammed and I'm like, oh god what are the boys going to get into and then

"Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare"

Perfect.

E: Hmm, that was probably the funniest part of the episode too

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 26, 2013