Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Quixzlizx posted:

There's a new patch out for Japan that includes a toggle for the giant location triangle and a toggle for damage numbers for other players.

They've also made Amazon/Fighter weapons more durable when blocking, and changed something about Berserk (I've just seen a machine translation so I'm not really sure exactly what changed there).

Man, they're really supporting this game through some quick patches! Hopefully this means the game's sold pretty well :)

The patch notes don't go into specifics on what changes were made other than the ones you've already mentioned (Berserk is basically 'Beserk Status and associated skills tweaked'.) There's also some minor ones which are changes to the system menus for improved navigation, and added colours to item durability statuses.

Japanese patch notes here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Take a break from all the running and gunning of GTA V,

:smaug: It's the weekly Dragons Crown Comics update!:smaug:

A Newbie Adventurer's Picture Diary
Chapter 8- The Elf and her budget book

(bonus points if you can name the other characters)

Sorry! Amazon-chan- On hiatus this week

Read the backnumbers here :v:

Tamagod Sushi fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 9, 2013

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

The purple one is Eclair from La Pucelle, I believe.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raitzeno posted:

The purple one is Eclair from La Pucelle, I believe.

Not quite!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Crown

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Oops. They're awfully similar! http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/1/18591/948331-art_006.jpg

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's the same character, yo. Her inclusion was a fanservice gesture.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
What happened to Lucain's swole Dwarf arms? :(

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

I knew I had seen her before. Matrimelee character.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Fresh from the labyrinth of chaos that is the internet, it's the
:smaug: Dragon's Crown Comics Update! :smaug:

Chapter 9- The Elf and her pumped up kicks

Sorry! Amazon-chan
Chapter 5- I've got you babe

Plus get all the back issues here!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
We finally got the 1.03 patch, which adds even more ways to pick your character out of the visual chaos of the game, but I still feel it's all just a band-aid over the real problem. They should have designed the game from the ground up so it wasn't so easy to be hit unexpectedly, and whiff enemies, especially due to minor differences in Z axis position. It's been a constant, unstoppable problem with side scrolling beatemups like this, and I don't consider it to be part of the charm of the genre or anything. Even with this latest patch, I don't know if I can make myself finish the game even once.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Samurai Sanders posted:

We finally got the 1.03 patch, which adds even more ways to pick your character out of the visual chaos of the game, but I still feel it's all just a band-aid over the real problem. They should have designed the game from the ground up so it wasn't so easy to be hit unexpectedly, and whiff enemies, especially due to minor differences in Z axis position. It's been a constant, unstoppable problem with side scrolling beatemups like this, and I don't consider it to be part of the charm of the genre or anything. Even with this latest patch, I don't know if I can make myself finish the game even once.

For what it's worth, they solved it better in DC than in any other brawler I've seen - many attacks have a visual "footprint" like dustclouds and magic circles that show you precisely where it hits, and most importantly the age-old tactic of "close in from above, then hit until dead" that got us through Double Dragon and Turtles in Time doesn't work here.

I never had big problems with the Z axis, but then again I played dwarf. That means you give no fucks *what* you're grabbing precisely, just throw it all on one pile and slam an enemy on top of it.
So I guess if you're sick of Z axis finickiness, dorf is for you.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
Tamagod thanks for the comics!

Samurai Sanders posted:

What class have you been playing? I agree the Z axis thing is definitely a problem; it wasn't bad with Amazon or Dwarf but when I played Elf and Sorceress landing ranged attacks (especially aerial ones) was problematic.

However, after playing the game a lot I rarely have trouble with it anymore, or with losing track of my character in the fray. I'm still loving co-op and sunk 100+ hours into this over 4 characters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Elf, but it's not just a problem for ranged attacks for me, also melee. Also weird is that enemies don't seem to be symmetrical in how "deep" they are, they seem to stick further into the background than they do into the foreground. Same with interacting with stationary things on the ground like weapons and bone piles, I seem to have more luck if I am behind them rather than in front of them. It's just loving weird.

Of course, a lot of this could be solved by having diagonal attack animations, another step that none of these neo-retro brawlers have taken for some reason.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Elf, but it's not just a problem for ranged attacks for me, also melee. Also weird is that enemies don't seem to be symmetrical in how "deep" they are, they seem to stick further into the background than they do into the foreground. Same with interacting with stationary things on the ground like weapons and bone piles, I seem to have more luck if I am behind them rather than in front of them. It's just loving weird.

Of course, a lot of this could be solved by having diagonal attack animations, another step that none of these neo-retro brawlers have taken for some reason.

It would have been nice if attacks hit a slightly broader range along the z axis, or enemies' "depth" were represented better; even large creatures and bosses do seem super "flat". You do get used to this to a large extent, but Elf in general seems more difficult to play than the other's I've tried, and a lot of it comes from these issues. I have had probably the most fun with the Elf though; maybe try another character for a while but don't give up!

Interacting with weapons/bone piles on the ground is pretty bad though; I still have trouble grabbing knives/bombs/genie's lamp etc. in the middle of fighting enemies. I try to look at as part of the challenge but really they could have loosened that up a bit.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So is this where I can go for build advice? I'm working on a Fighter at the moment and am basically trying to decide on a few things.

What I have down:
-Max Cyclone Masher, Tempest Edge, Reflex Guard, Cover Allies, Max Bash, Distraction
-A point in Nutritionist, two points in Evasion and one-two in Deep Pockets
-Rank 9 of 10 in Vitality Boost

The rest I got no clue. I'm considering getting up to rank 7 or 8 of Shield Tactics, and then either putting stuff in Judgement and Shockwave or maxing Rebuke. Any ideas? I basically just wanted to make something that isn't so much about DPS as it is ease of use and fun factor, hence maxed Bash. (For you number crunchers, assuming the token point in Shield Tactics needed for Distraction, I've got 35 points left)

Also, to contribute to the previous topic: the Old Capital B Route was a huge pain when I tried hitting the boss with sideways air shots as an elf. Then I started using Clone Shots from underneath and was like "... What. It suddenly grew a hitbox." Otherwise, very little issue with constantly missing shots.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Elf is terrible for this yeah, played a bit of it and never leveled it because holy poo poo I can't hit anything. Dwarf and Amazon I never really had issues.

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL
Just got the game. Digging it so far, it seem the D&D brawlers inspired pretty much 70% of what I've seen so far and I've loved those.

One thing I don't get is that sometimes the game won't let me continue. I understand that if I have LP I'm good and don't need money. If I run out of those I need to pay to bring people back. However during the warlock fight I couldn't pay to bring anyone back, and when I died the game explicitly told me "You ran out of LP, hit X to pay money to revive yourself."

I sat there hitting X over and over while the timer just ticked down. It is god damned maddening when the game tells you to do something and that thing totally doesn't work. Is there a reason why I couldn't revive myself. Is it gold earned during that mission that you spend to revive, or is it gold you just possess. Cause I have a poo poo ton of gold on account of not a lot to spend it on, and I have no idea why the game would gently caress me like that.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Javaman98 posted:

Just got the game. Digging it so far, it seem the D&D brawlers inspired pretty much 70% of what I've seen so far and I've loved those.

One thing I don't get is that sometimes the game won't let me continue. I understand that if I have LP I'm good and don't need money. If I run out of those I need to pay to bring people back. However during the warlock fight I couldn't pay to bring anyone back, and when I died the game explicitly told me "You ran out of LP, hit X to pay money to revive yourself."

I sat there hitting X over and over while the timer just ticked down. It is god damned maddening when the game tells you to do something and that thing totally doesn't work. Is there a reason why I couldn't revive myself. Is it gold earned during that mission that you spend to revive, or is it gold you just possess. Cause I have a poo poo ton of gold on account of not a lot to spend it on, and I have no idea why the game would gently caress me like that.

You could simply be out of gold. If you die a lot, the cost to continue goes up exponentially. Even moreso on hard mode.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

yellowcar posted:

You could simply be out of gold. If you die a lot, the cost to continue goes up exponentially. Even moreso on hard mode.

^This is it; it doesn't tell you the cost is increasing each time, it just won't let you revive/continue when you've passed the limit. Even if you have a ton of gold on hand, the resurrection costs could be more (I've had the same happen to me)

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
This game is on sale on North American PSN right now

PS3 version $49.99 $39.99

Vita version $39.99 $29.99

Update: this week is when the PS3 Bluray and Vita gamecard versions of the game come out in the European region.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 9, 2013

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Yechezkel posted:

This game is on sale on PSN right now

PS3 version $49.99 $39.99

Vita version $39.99 $29.99

Also, this week is when the game comes out in the European region.

That's a pretty good discount! Hop in if you're on the fence, it's a great game :)

Which reminds me, gather round' the campfire folks, it's

:smaug: The Weekly Dragon's Crown Comics update! :smaug:

Chapter 10- The Elf and packing for travel

Sorry! Amazon-chan
Chapter 6- Girl Can't Help It

Got the Dragon's Crown comics itch? Get back issues here!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Haha, that goddamn bunny.

When the jaws start flying, it's not that cute.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Ohhhhh, that Gazer. :3:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Megalixir or anyone else who has been playing through the various balance patches, now that PS3/Vita cross-play is being added in the next patch, I figure I should get back into things.

I was playing on launch and Wizard was my swing, but it seems like the changes have changed the priorities on him. What is the go-to skill build for Wizard now with his fancy new overcharging mechanics and whatnot?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Awesome news on the cross-play patch. There will also be a feature where you can turn off having NPCs join your open party slots. Now I don't have to keep remembering to switch them open and closed when I switch between soloing and playing online.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I remember noticing this game when people got upset at the wacky character designs, saw it described as a 'fighter' somewhere and moved on. I had no idea it was a side scrolling beat em up and honestly didn't think anyone made those anymore. Super excited to get this game when it comes out in europe in a couple of days.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Had a great multiplayer last night on my Sorceress character, Yzma. I Got matched up with a really good Wizard and Fighter guy and we picked up a 4th Fighter along the way as an NPC. We ran through all of the dungeons and managed to beat the Red Dragon legitimately instead of having him fall of the cliff which got the last talisman I needed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Emalde posted:

Megalixir or anyone else who has been playing through the various balance patches, now that PS3/Vita cross-play is being added in the next patch, I figure I should get back into things.

Aw poo poo, cross-play? Man, now I really have to get a Vita during the holidays.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
OP has been updated with more defined character descriptions, recommended skills, and I'm getting a title change to tell dudes about cross play. I'm sorry I haven't updated the OP for a while, but I was sort of waiting for a month or two when the game had more people playing it so we could reach a consensus on character styles. Tell me if you think any sort of addendum should be made to the OP.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

Awesome news on the cross-play patch. There will also be a feature where you can turn off having NPCs join your open party slots. Now I don't have to keep remembering to switch them open and closed when I switch between soloing and playing online.

Man this is great news all around, I've been wondering why they didn't have an NPC blocker for multiplayer.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

OP has been updated with more defined character descriptions, recommended skills, and I'm getting a title change to tell dudes about cross play. I'm sorry I haven't updated the OP for a while, but I was sort of waiting for a month or two when the game had more people playing it so we could reach a consensus on character styles. Tell me if you think any sort of addendum should be made to the OP.

I'm not going to say I'm the internet's greatest Elf expert, but I do think the recommended skills are way off. For recommended skills, I'd go Power Shot, Impact Arrow, Spacious Quiver, Clone Strike, Salamander Oil, Elemental Lore (with Holdout Dagger & Backstab instead of Elemental Lore for dagger-focused builds).

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Right, threw my lot in with Amazon, largely because a) they meet my maximum price for a handheld game (£30 for the Vita version, vs ~£35 seemingly everywhere else and £38 for the PS3 version. Zavvi doesn't count), b) they also have the artbook for pre-orderers and c) the cross-play patch announcement has eased my main concern for the Vita version (dead online).

[Edit] Turns out ShopTo also has nabbed the artbook, and is selling it for slightly less, so I've switched to them (since they're better for pre-orders in my experience).

[Edit 2] And now ShopTo won't let me change my address and refuses to accept my (new) card, so back to Amazon. Thankfully, they gave me free first class postage, and I'm hoping they price-match.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 9, 2013

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Is there a writeup on the skills anywhere? This thread is real big and I don't think there are any gameplay resources in the OP

specifically i'm wondering if Money is Power is worth the skill point investment given the level caps for each difficulty

e: also how do i do co op

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Is there a writeup on the skills anywhere? This thread is real big and I don't think there are any gameplay resources in the OP

specifically i'm wondering if Money is Power is worth the skill point investment given the level caps for each difficulty

I wouldn't bother with Money is Power personally. Whatever the Money to Health skill is called would probably help you out more by keeping you from dying as much while dungeon chaining, which is when you earn real XP. Also, always get the score bonus prayer from the temple when you're planning on going on a long chain.

I'm assuming you mean online co-op. You unlock co-op by beating the A-route of all 9 stages in Normal difficulty. After that, the game asks if you want to connect online whenever you go to the Gate or Stables (the Stables also unlock at about the same time as online co-op. When the Stables unlock, the Gate sends you to a random stage, and the Stables do what the Gate used to.)

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Skill Writeup: most seem to be in Japanese, here is one a Japanese author translated that looks pretty good: http://fruitriin.sakura.ne.jp/DrgnsCrwnSS/eng/

Money is Power: Haven't tried it, it might be worthwhile mainly because it will give you a reason to scramble for coins! You can eventually respec skill points, but it requires finishing the game on Normal and then finishing a few randomized challenge stages.

Co-op: Online co-op is unlocked after finishing 9 stages; these are the "A" route of these stages. Finishing them unlocks online co-op and the "B" routes to the stages. Couch co-op is unlocked from the beginning.

Online must be unlocked this way for each character, but stays unlocked moving into Hard and Infernal difficulty with each character.

Edit: beaten on the last 2

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I made this a couple of months back!

Dragons Crown Character cards
Has the basic moves list for each character

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm not going to say I'm the internet's greatest Elf expert, but I do think the recommended skills are way off. For recommended skills, I'd go Power Shot, Impact Arrow, Spacious Quiver, Clone Strike, Salamander Oil, Elemental Lore (with Holdout Dagger & Backstab instead of Elemental Lore for dagger-focused builds).

Yeah, this is the skill loadout I roll with. Putting points in Boots was a mistake I won't make again and Rapid Shot doesn't work with charged or clone shots, which are the biggest assets in the Elf's arsenal.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
Deadly Boots may not be optimal later on, but it's really nice to actually do some damage with your melee attacks, even if it is piddling compared to the real melee characters.

I think it's a good suggestion for starting out with the Elf; by the time it gets to be almost obsolete you can have a respec item.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Update on the European release, from one of the PS Store staff:

The download versions will not be put up this week. They will be available next Wednesday on the 16th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
So the game is out in Australia now - whats the deal with the character narration DLC? are we forced to buy it because of the late release?

• Locked thread