Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
We want to move to the same square plates we use in the restaurant for banquets, but they're $35/ea, not counting the cost of the covers. We'd need at least 600 plates, preferably 1k. I don't see it happening. I think we'll just stick with the 11.95 steelite plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

We want to move to the same square plates we use in the restaurant for banquets, but they're $35/ea, not counting the cost of the covers. We'd need at least 600 plates, preferably 1k. I don't see it happening. I think we'll just stick with the 11.95 steelite plates.

upcharge the better plates, like 2.5-5$ a head? you might have a taker with a party of like say, I dunno, 300. so you buy 300 plates? rent them out successfully to a few other people, cover the cost, and eventually maybe cover the other 300? rinse repeat to 1k?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, but the covers are about $500 for 24 since they're a special order from American Metalcraft. So it'd be like 200k for enough lids.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Best profile pic/post combo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, but the covers are about $500 for 24 since they're a special order from American Metalcraft. So it'd be like 200k for enough lids.

o u c h

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

More like 20k...

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

More like 20k...

In my defense, that was after I finished off that bottle of bourbon.

Also, getting promoted, just not to sous. Kitchen Manager works until a sous spot opens up.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I love when the local university has big event weekends. I scrambled so many eggs the last two days that I have blisters on my finger.

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010

Crazy Larry posted:

I love when the local university has big event weekends. I scrambled so many eggs the last two days that I have blisters on my finger.

I work for a catering company that has exclusivity with the university here and this week is when all the freshmen move in and there are a bunch of events and stuff. I got to plate so many hundreds of cookies just today. My job is Real Life Cookie Clicker.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don't remind me. One month until Christmas Cookie Season starts. :smith:

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
So a month and a half ago I quit my job at a fairly popular Canadian chain restaurant(as a bartender) because the new owners were running it into the ground and cutting my hours. I made the mistake of not having anything lined up afterwards and so I'm just now going for my second interview at a combined bar/restaurant/pool hall/bowling alley and I'm just hoping for the best at this point. My main point behind this whole paragraph, don't try and find a job in Southwest Ontario right now. They're nearly none existent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's hard here too. I couldn't find a job sucking dick if I tried, and I'm in San Francisco.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's hard here too. I couldn't find a job sucking dick if I tried, and I'm in San Francisco.

Well there's probably a lot of people out there better at it than you.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Crawford posted:

I work for a catering company that has exclusivity with the university here and this week is when all the freshmen move in and there are a bunch of events and stuff. I got to plate so many hundreds of cookies just today. My job is Real Life Cookie Clicker.

Greetings from the front, fellow cookie clicker. :smith::hf::smith:

We normally don't have huge volume during the day, so when I got an opening shift by myself, I thought I'd have a nice relaxing day from my typical Monday (a thing shook up our normal routine of three days two nights for me). Fate was not so kind, as I found out our truck with inventory was once again going to arrive when I was the only one around to unload it, I got a large volume order that needed to be done about an hour after we opened (while I was unloading said truck), the drawer was $40 short for our cash register because our night guy scooped a pair of extra twenties into his bag when he went to do the deposit, and we had a power outage in the middle of everything.

gently caress Mondays.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Geeez. Check out the top two reviews on tripadvisor for a local place.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Geeez. Check out the top two reviews on tripadvisor for a local place.

I found the best review I've ever seen a couple days ago while looking for a place to take my little brother for his 19th birthday. Lemme dig it up.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

(it's obviously the restaurant owner's replies I'm pointing out, although you probably saw that)

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

There are a million places to work as a cook in the bay area if you are a cook with more than 10 minutes of cooking on your resume.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bjay9 posted:

My main point behind this whole paragraph, don't try and find a job in Southwest Ontario right now. They're nearly none existent.

I dunno man, I've had a few people who do hiring come to me lately asking if I know anyone looking for a FOH position in KW/Cambridge/Guelph. All the university towns should be busy as poo poo and all the lovely part time students that they hired that aren't working out are either quitting or getting fired at the end of this month. If the place you're interviewing with doesn't work out, try every place within walking distance of a university and if you can show you can handle volume, you should have no issues getting a job.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Naelyan posted:

I dunno man, I've had a few people who do hiring come to me lately asking if I know anyone looking for a FOH position in KW/Cambridge/Guelph. All the university towns should be busy as poo poo and all the lovely part time students that they hired that aren't working out are either quitting or getting fired at the end of this month. If the place you're interviewing with doesn't work out, try every place within walking distance of a university and if you can show you can handle volume, you should have no issues getting a job.

I live in London and like 2 minutes from Western. It's becoming easier now, since I wrote that post, I've had the second interview and two jobs call me for resumes I must have dropped off nearly a month ago. It's going to suck having missed the first rush of university/college kids with money they shouldn't be blowing but as long as I have something secure I'll be happy :)

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Good to hear, and good luck. If I hear of anything in London I'll post it here for you, but outside of "Beertown is always looking for good people!" (gently caress the Charcoal Group, though the GM there is a pretty cool guy, and the two friends I have that bartend there are doing pretty well) I haven't heard much from that way lately.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

Mu Zeta posted:

I do money stuff for some casual/fine dining restaurants in the SF financial district. Are you looking for FOH or BOH? Any experience? We're always looking for people that-
1) won't pull a no call, no show
2) can follow directions
3) have experience (or are willing to learn)

PM me if you don't want to reply in this thread.

Positions that are 100% open right now-
lunch dishwasher M-F, 25 hours a week
dinner line cook M-Sat, 30 hours a week
lunch busser M-F, 20 hours a week

I sent out something like 250 W2's at the beginning of the year and we only have a little over 100 employees on payroll at any given time- turnover is very high and we are always looking for people.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have no experience at all. I'll PM you if my current gig doesn't work out, I just started.

I was specifically looking for a good bakery that does everything in-house and the best quality coffee possible, but I guess I shouldn't be too picky.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 25, 2013

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
The restaurant I work at is a tiny little place, 4 kitchen staff, like 15 waitresses between the restaurant and bar and a handful of bartenders.
I was out for a week recovering from surgery, so they hired someone to help out while I was gone. Today was my first kitchen shift since, and I took over right as the owner was gone. Only thing on my prep list was take the patio down for the winter and peel a few bags of onions. I had everything torn out and ready to pull in, when the night staff came in.

New kid hired kept locking the side door every time I came out to grab more stuff to bring down, after I'd told him that I NEED it left open so I can just slip in and out and not have to drag massive railings through the restaurant into the kitchen, and around to the stairs.. Then had the nerve to bitch about being stuck with dishes after I had finished and was having a beer because holy poo poo I just moved about 500 kilos of fencing, I need a beer and you're loving hired to do that poo poo when I'm done EVERYTHING AND YOU JUST HAVE TO DO DISHES YOU LAZY oval office/

I love working skeleton crews because you make friends with the people you work with, because there's only so many of you, but gently caress this kid and his lazy loving attitude.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I have no experience at all. I'll PM you if my current gig doesn't work out, I just started.

I was specifically looking for a good bakery that does everything in-house and the best quality coffee possible, but I guess I shouldn't be too picky.

Start at star bucks or being a barista some where. That's your most basic entry level position if you don't want to go to school.

madisonbleek
Jul 9, 2013

MiTEG posted:

I do money stuff for some casual/fine dining restaurants in the SF financial district. Are you looking for FOH or BOH? Any experience? We're always looking for people that-
1) won't pull a no call, no show
2) can follow directions
3) have experience (or are willing to learn)

PM me if you don't want to reply in this thread.

Positions that are 100% open right now-
lunch dishwasher M-F, 25 hours a week
dinner line cook M-Sat, 30 hours a week
lunch busser M-F, 20 hours a week

I sent out something like 250 W2's at the beginning of the year and we only have a little over 100 employees on payroll at any given time- turnover is very high and we are always looking for people.

I have a question, as somebody who has a few years of experience in the restaurant industry but is still not very good at finding work:
How is it that I would be able to find that these jobs are available? Apart from this thread, i mean. I ended up finding work, but for several months of this year I was looking for something exactly like these you have available: 30 hrs/week line cook, 25 hrs/week busser, etc. I was kind of clueless about the process -- I looked on craigslist all the time, wandered in to restaurants, but I always got a standard line "We're always accepting applications, we'll call you if there's a fit." As somebody with decent qualification and being a pretty good worker, how could I increase my chances of finding job openings like this?

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

madisonbleek posted:

I have a question, as somebody who has a few years of experience in the restaurant industry but is still not very good at finding work:
How is it that I would be able to find that these jobs are available? Apart from this thread, i mean. I ended up finding work, but for several months of this year I was looking for something exactly like these you have available: 30 hrs/week line cook, 25 hrs/week busser, etc. I was kind of clueless about the process -- I looked on craigslist all the time, wandered in to restaurants, but I always got a standard line "We're always accepting applications, we'll call you if there's a fit." As somebody with decent qualification and being a pretty good worker, how could I increase my chances of finding job openings like this?

It is honestly all about knowing someone. I've yet to receive a job where I didn't have some connection to the person who was hiring me. Or just be superman, that helps too.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bjay9 posted:

It is honestly all about knowing someone. I've yet to receive a job where I didn't have some connection to the person who was hiring me. Or just be superman, that helps too.

Unfortunately this. If you're new to a city and you don't know anyone (which has been me, a couple of times) you basically have to use the 'shotgun approach', in which you hit literally every loving restaurant that's even remotely in your area/skillset with a resume, and be willing to prove (with an unpaid trial shift, usually) that you're not poo poo. And then hope and pray. After that, even if it's a Pizza Hut, do everything you can to go for drinks with coworkers and network as much as you can.

I started working in the city I'm in (top 10 largest cities in Canada) about 3 years ago. When I started I literally knew two people in the entire city, neither of which are in the industry. Three years later, I can't walk into a bar or restaurant without seeing someone I know or being able to find a mutual acquaintance with my server/bartender (that likely works there, or is there drinking/eating because they work nearby) and the last time I was looking for a job, I literally wrote "Anyone know of a place that could use my skillset? I'm looking for full time work, current poo poo isn't working out." on facebook and had three job offers by the end of the day. I even came to this thread for some feedback on which one I should take. And I'm not even that good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mu Zeta posted:

If you were out Iowa way, we've got an opening right now on my old shift. Doing 12a-7a six nights a week baking off and delivering breakfast, in a scratch bakery with locally roasted coffee.

My replacement decided he couldn't handle the stress after a few weeks in. Don't blame him, it takes a special sort of madness to pull it off. After two years, I couldn't do it anymore myself.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You could always lie to get in to a job if you really need to, you just better be a really quick learner.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

madisonbleek posted:

Like Naelyan and Bjay9 said, it really is about who you know- I'll only put an ad up on Craigslist if we don't find somebody through word of mouth within a couple of weeks. Randomly wandering into a place can work, but you should at least have a passing familiarity with the cuisine and style of the place. Make sure you talk to someone who makes hiring decisions and follow up with them.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010
So I'm helping my brother open a wine bar and here are some shots of the food I'm going to do. If anyone is on the central coast of california, we are opening in about a month in Atascadero. Opening hasn't been anything less than a nightmare working with family who have little to know experience.

caesar salad

strawberry, turnips, almonds and buckwheat

the bread roll

risotto, parm and beef fat

quail, cardoon, apples and a dutch baby

ham and pickled mirepoix

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
For getting a job, aside from knowing people, it helps to know the business pattern in the town your in and thus when hires are made. Restaurant business in my town revolves entirely around when the local university's main semesters are in session and all of the students are in town. For the three jobs I've gotten without knowing anyone (all corporate jobs), I was hired in the middle/end of August, right before students came back, along with the majority of the people I've worked with.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Crazy Larry posted:

For getting a job, aside from knowing people, it helps to know the business pattern in the town your in and thus when hires are made. Restaurant business in my town revolves entirely around when the local university's main semesters are in session and all of the students are in town. For the three jobs I've gotten without knowing anyone (all corporate jobs), I was hired in the middle/end of August, right before students came back, along with the majority of the people I've worked with.

This is something I've been impressing on the applicants that come in. We don't have any positions to fill because we filled them 2-3 weeks before the University's "Welcome Week" event. There are a lot of desperate freshmen that didn't get the memo that hiring in a college town, especially in food service, follows the school cycle, and if you're applying to anything of a higher grade than Burger King or McDonalds, the turnover isn't the fastest. As it stands, we have a very fat applications folder that no one really cares about.

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
It took me literally 90% of my summer break doing on average like 3 or 4 applications a week to get a job; college town employment is hot garbage for entry-level poo poo.

A couple weeks into this catering "stuff" and it is pretty okay, I guess the big thing is that I enjoy the people I work for/with and I get to eat a lot of really good food on my breaks. Downside: monthly payroll means I don't get my first check until the end of october :negative:
At least I am Financially Stable (heavily subsidized lifestyle because my parents are generous + awesome)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Those plates look fantastic heyfresh. What's in the roll for that caesar? anchovy and parm?

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010

Those plates look fantastic heyfresh. What's in the roll for that caesar? anchovy and parm?

Roasted romaine chiffonade, black pepper mignonette, pain de campagne, creme fraiche and horseradish. It's wrapped in a blanched leaf.

I left anchovy out of the whole thing because of how sensitive people are to it, but if I had to include it I would be anchovy powder tossed on the plate.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's also about who you know, not what. I got a fellow busser who does it for shits and exercise from his day office job. Told me if I can blow the $100 for a few days of bartending school, he'll hook me up to be a bartender with a friend who owns like 3 places. So that's my next move, and I gotta be fast with winter setting in.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

heyfresh888 posted:

Roasted romaine chiffonade, black pepper mignonette, pain de campagne, creme fraiche and horseradish. It's wrapped in a blanched leaf.

I left anchovy out of the whole thing because of how sensitive people are to it, but if I had to include it I would be anchovy powder tossed on the plate.

Clearly top them with a seared fresh anchovy. I'd be all over that, but I love anchovies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

heyfresh888 posted:

So I'm helping my brother open a wine bar and here are some shots of the food I'm going to do. If anyone is on the central coast of california, we are opening in about a month in Atascadero. Opening hasn't been anything less than a nightmare working with family who have little to know experience.

caesar salad

strawberry, turnips, almonds and buckwheat

the bread roll

risotto, parm and beef fat

quail, cardoon, apples and a dutch baby

ham and pickled mirepoix

god

drat.

:golfclap:

loving the beef fat with the risotto, the rolled caesar, and the pickled mirepoix with the ham - all very clever. quail plating is nice too.

if you leave anchovies out of any caesar you're a heathen though. at least give the diners an option maybe? some of the best anchovies I've had on a caesar were lightly dusted with flour and fried - you could keep a small container onhand vaccum sealed and have the servers ask w/wout anchovy?

I'm probably a little bit off baseline because I loving love anchovies, but I basically won't order the salad if I ask the server if the dressing/salad is made with anchovy and he/she says no.

• Locked thread