Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

HeatherChandler posted:

That is GLORIOUS. I knit a spider a while back, but it was lilac and we named her Charlotte.

I'm on the Christmas present train, after I'm done knitting one last hat for quads (showed up to the shower with 3). This year is the first year my partner is taking me across the country for his family Christmas and I've decided to knit his whole family stockings. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/falling-snow-stocking 6 of these in different colors! I've never knit socks before so I am hoping learning the construction on a large scale will be easier than messing around in sock weight.

That pattern says it uses a short row heel, but in the pictures, there is a gusset and what looks like a heel flap. I'm not sure if I'm just mid-identifying, or if the pictures use a different heel construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

Apple Tree posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good pattern to make a monster? My partner loves grotesque things and I knit curious creatures as Christmas and birthday presents, but I've run through the best of Hansi Singh* and I've already done gargoyles**. I'm looking for something small, preferably with a complex pattern that leads to a good finish (so, for instance, I'd rather knit in the round than seam, I'd rather wrap and turn than fiddle with jointing and stitching later, I'm fine with picking up stitches etc). Anyone got any suggestions?

It may not be grotesque enough for your preference, but I would basically die and sing praises if someone gave me something out of this book for Christmas.

Steampunk Softies

Edit: Let me also say that these aren't knitted.

jota23 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 22, 2013

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Aerofallosov posted:

So, I've finished my garter stitch scarf (hooray). I saw a pattern I liked with increases and decreases (gonna work on my purling first, though) that asked for Noro Kureyon. I was able to go to a local yarn store with a friend and it was itchy and stiff to me. I got some Noro Silk Garden, which is alright. They were out of Taiyo though. Has anyone tried that? And do they all really have knots in them? I'm not sure I like the idea of knots while I knit...

I have three skeins of Kureyon Sock. All of them have knots in them. It's not a rare occurrence for them to have knots. One of them was so bad that it abruptly changed color on either side of the knot. Some people will cut certain colors out of it because it doesn't go with the color scheme.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
How do people deal with knots? Do you just leave them in and knit on (ie your work will have a small, possibly note able imperfection)? Or do you cut the knot out and act as if you were changing yarns?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I leave it in and try to 'push' it to the wrong side of the work. It usually works.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I always untie the knot and then just treat it like adding in a new ball of yarn. Sucks to have extra ends to weave in, but a knot in the actual knitting would drive me insane.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I leave it in and try to 'push' it to the wrong side of the work. It usually works.

This is pretty much what I do too. Although, I rarely get knots in my yarn. Probably because I buy industrial made cheap stuff and not so much the expensive hand made stuff.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

wodan22 posted:

How do people deal with knots? Do you just leave them in and knit on (ie your work will have a small, possibly note able imperfection)? Or do you cut the knot out and act as if you were changing yarns?

I untie the knot and then treat it like adding a ball mid row. 3 knits or purls and I'm good to go.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I finally finished my first project that isn't a scarf! Restarted the "regular guy beanie" in a different yarn Friday, wrapped it up today. First thing I've made with multiple colors, and my first thing in the round and the first thing with ribbing. Yay me!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I usually cut or untie the knot because I don't know how strong it is or if it will hold.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Sodium Chloride posted:

I usually cut or untie the knot because I don't know how strong it is or if it will hold.

Same here. Also, there usually isn't enough yarn on the ends to weave them in properly, although I usually prefer to do a Russian join because it eliminates that problem entirely.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mizufusion posted:

Same here. Also, there usually isn't enough yarn on the ends to weave them in properly, although I usually prefer to do a Russian join because it eliminates that problem entirely.

Russian Joins are the best thing that has happened to knitting. :allears: I showed it to my old knitting teacher and I don't think I've ever seen her that happy.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
Cut the yarn and Russian join. Always! Why put so much work into something and settle for anything less than perfection?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I spit join Noro, but then again, I only knit for myself!!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Russian Joins are the best thing that has happened to knitting. :allears: I showed it to my old knitting teacher and I don't think I've ever seen her that happy.

I am going to show this to everyone. :allears:

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

GabrielAisling posted:

That pattern says it uses a short row heel, but in the pictures, there is a gusset and what looks like a heel flap. I'm not sure if I'm just mid-identifying, or if the pictures use a different heel construction.

My lack of sock knowledge means I have absolutely no idea what you just said :) I just planned on following directions. Guess I'm in for it. (It does appear to be a flap from what I can gather)

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I'm having issues with knitting ADD right now. I had started a baby surprise jacket then moved to a baby cardigan then I started a linen stitch scarf and now I've just started another small shawl. Of course right now none of those sound good to work on...

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Peppercat posted:

I'm having issues with knitting ADD right now. I had started a baby surprise jacket then moved to a baby cardigan then I started a linen stitch scarf and now I've just started another small shawl. Of course right now none of those sound good to work on...

I'm having the same issue. I think it's that fall is starting (or spring, depending on your hemisphere) I have 1 mitt done, 3/4 done with this baby blanket, and half of a large superbulky bag but I cast on my first sweater yesterday. It's the wonderful wallaby, which I'd been wanting to do since I first saw the pattern at my first LYS trip. Oh and I just remembered the socks I'm supposed to finish by the end of the year for my knitting guild's Sheep to Sock 2013 thing.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Finished my coworker's baby blanket! And did it in plenty of time for the baby to show up (January). Now to work on the next project - adventure time dolls for my brother's Christmas present :3:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Thanks for the Noro advice. I was concerned when everyone I know mentioned knots after I'd gotten a couple of skeins for a pattern to learn increases and decreases (I'm doing one technique per project so I don't burn out). I'll probably try to untie them. The colors mixing doesn't bother me since it's a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper color explosion themed project. And the Russian join looks really handy.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Peppercat posted:

I have this problem ALL THE TIME. There are projects on the needles I started years ago and will never finish, but I can't bring myself to frog them. Meanwhile, I'm spending hours digging through Ravely, trying to figure out what to make next.

zamiel posted:

I'm having the same issue. I think it's that fall is starting (or spring, depending on your hemisphere)

This is part of the issue for me. It's fall and I want to make cute fall things to decorate my house! Usually I prefer making things that have an actual function, such as clothing and accessories, but lately I'm all about decorating with weird things. This weekend I made some mini hanging ornaments, like pumpkins, acorns, and pinecones. Eventually I'll also finish the mitts I started making for my fiance earlier this year.

I also have Christmas gifts on my mind. I know it's a long way off, but I never ever finish things on time. Right now I'm making a pretty mug cozy, even though I think it's a bit silly. I'm thinking of giving it to my future mother-in-law for Christmas, along with a nice mug and some coffee pods for the Keurig she just got. Also planning to make little Christmas ornaments for both of our families, if I ever find a pattern I like enough to do seven times or more, depending on if I count everyone's significant others.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Mizufusion posted:

I have this problem ALL THE TIME. There are projects on the needles I started years ago and will never finish, but I can't bring myself to frog them. Meanwhile, I'm spending hours digging through Ravely, trying to figure out what to make next.

This is part of the issue for me. It's fall and I want to make cute fall things to decorate my house! Usually I prefer making things that have an actual function, such as clothing and accessories, but lately I'm all about decorating with weird things. This weekend I made some mini hanging ornaments, like pumpkins, acorns, and pinecones. Eventually I'll also finish the mitts I started making for my fiance earlier this year.

I also have Christmas gifts on my mind. I know it's a long way off, but I never ever finish things on time. Right now I'm making a pretty mug cozy, even though I think it's a bit silly. I'm thinking of giving it to my future mother-in-law for Christmas, along with a nice mug and some coffee pods for the Keurig she just got. Also planning to make little Christmas ornaments for both of our families, if I ever find a pattern I like enough to do seven times or more, depending on if I count everyone's significant others.

This is one of the reasons I recent;y switched to circular interchangeables. If I need that size needles for something else, I can move the work to the cord, take the needles off and put stoppers or something on the ends. Just gotta buy plenty of spare cords!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
gently caress vertical stripes.

I think I've finally managed to get it to where the yarn doesn't tangle...unless I put the project down for any reason. But hey, why would I ever do that, right?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I have the worst knitting ADD. I had a pair of gloves that I left unfinished for like 3 weeks, during which I made armwarmers for my sister and started on an afghan. I did make myself sit down and finish them the other night though.

I also have an unfinished sock sitting on a cord, but it's in the naughty corner right now where I can occasionally glare at it and chastise it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My size 50 circular needles came in! :woop: I just hope a 40in cord is going to be long enough to fit a twin sized blanket on.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

My size 50 circular needles came in! :woop: I just hope a 40in cord is going to be long enough to fit a twin sized blanket on.

I'm assuming they're fixed circs. Because if they're not, you can always join cables together into a massive mutant cable.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I keep seeing what people charge for the hugeass needles and thing maybe I need to start a cottage business.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

:stare:

English or continental? :haw:

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
I'm never finishing these gloves. I honestly think that I have some sort of mental block against accomplishing this. Now I've lost one of my DP needles. Really self? REALLY? Did I lose it or did I have a Freudian slip and :airquote: misplace it :airquote: ?

Whatever. I don't know why its taking me so long. The Glittens are not as difficult as I thought they'd be. I just needle to buckle down and get it done!

I'll have to muddle through with 3 needles until I can get to the store to buy another set! :bang:

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

mcknitknot posted:

I'm never finishing these gloves. I honestly think that I have some sort of mental block against accomplishing this. Now I've lost one of my DP needles. Really self? REALLY? Did I lose it or did I have a Freudian slip and :airquote: misplace it :airquote: ?

Whatever. I don't know why its taking me so long. The Glittens are not as difficult as I thought they'd be. I just needle to buckle down and get it done!

I'll have to muddle through with 3 needles until I can get to the store to buy another set! :bang:

Was "needle to buckle down" a Freudian slip or a pun? :allears:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Can I knit myself a Freudian slip? :v:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Post the pattern if you do. :j:

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013
Great blanket!

Another pattern suggestion request, if nobody minds (and thanks for the other suggestions!):

I'm looking for a cable or decorative pattern that would make a leaf pattern for a long strip of knitting, no wider than about 25 stitches. I've got this great green aran-weight yarn and I've made a hat using a basic cable-knit band before, but I've seen leaves on things and wanted to try it...

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Can I knit myself a Freudian slip? :v:

You can knit WITH Freudian Slip!

http://dev.bluemoonfiberarts.com/newmoon/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_20_708

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Ok, so I'm in super knitting mode. In the last week, I've finished my first pair of adult socks (merino wool, fingering weight, thought I was gonna kill myself, but they're finally done and I love them! ... and my blister is almost healed!), two hats for my niece who is almost a year old, and 1.5 slipper/house socks for myself. Next up I'm gonna do felted slippers for the male members of my family for Christmas and TRY and do slippers for the women as well. Oh, and I have a baby blanket to start and finish before May.

However, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I really want to do a sweater. I've never done one before and it's time. I've also never done colorwork before, so uh, I'm thinking an Icelandic Sweater...

Anyway, does anybody have any thoughts on this pattern http://istex.is/Files/Skra_0051195.pdf I'm knitting it for myself, doing the black version. Unfortunately, because of my chest size, I have to do the XL because I'm afraid it will stretch too much around my bust if I do a smaller size. On top of that, I'm 5'10" and have long arms, so I'm thinking of just knitting myself the man's size, since the only difference I can see is in the length and the difference is only 3-4 cm. Being brand new to color charts, does anybody see any other increases or decreases that might make the sweater too baggy in the wrong places to fit a woman? I didn't see any, but...

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
A week ago, I was shaking and angry that I couldn't finish a simple knitted hat. In the past week, I have finished two hats (both gifts, one sent away already) and half a scarf. Frogging can be cathartic, I guess.

What should I expect if I go to a knitting group? There's a lot in my area, do you just show up and do your thing and join in the conversation or is it only for people who are, like, actually skilled?

Bonus: tonight's project, hat #2

http://imgur.com/957nXSyl.jpg

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

two forty posted:

A week ago, I was shaking and angry that I couldn't finish a simple knitted hat. In the past week, I have finished two hats (both gifts, one sent away already) and half a scarf. Frogging can be cathartic, I guess.

What should I expect if I go to a knitting group? There's a lot in my area, do you just show up and do your thing and join in the conversation or is it only for people who are, like, actually skilled?

Nice looking hat!
What pattern did you use for that?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

two forty posted:

My knitting group is just show up, get your knitting, and go. One of the ladies who organizes the meetups teaches knitting for the community, so we get all kinds and skill levels in, and people pretty regularly introduce friends they taught to knit. I don't know if they're all like this, but it's pretty chill.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/9204894/Who-says-real-Kiwi-men-don-t-knit
A men's knitting group in Christchurch.

"League of Knitting Gentlemen" is my new favourite phrase. It kind of sucks though, there are two knitting groups that I'm aware of (aside from his, obviously) and because I don't drive attending either group would be difficult. One is held at different members' homes, and I'd feel awkward about trying to beg a ride every week, and the other is at a cafe on the other side of town. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

two forty posted:

I've gone to a lot of different knitting groups and every single one of them has just been "show up, bring whatever you're working on, and join the conversation". There's always been a huge range of skill levels, from people who have been knitting for 40 years and have released pattern books, down to people who saw us here last week and decided to show up this week with needles and yarn and a desire to learn. There's always someone more skilled than me and always someone less skilled. There's *always* someone who loves to teach who will be there working on some mindless social project, just dying for an excuse to help you figure out that thing you've been struggling with. For me, knitting groups are more about finding the right mix of personalities (and politics - I lasted about 5 minutes at one before it became the Insane Right Wing Talking Hour and I just stood up and walked out).