Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

ElwoodCuse posted:

What does your in-game checklist say? The social club website not matching up with your game sometimes has been a thing for basically every Rockstar game that uses it.

Same thing, it's not the Rockstar Social site being slow to update. On the phone checklist it says 2/16 Miscellaneous completed, but the social website shows which 12 I've actually completed. And that piechart on the website also only shows 2 having been completed. The S&F missions I've done they show up as available for replay, but their percentage also doesn't get updated on the phone either.

I've tried continuing with these events, which get completed and show having been done on the website, but the pie-hart and in-game phone percentage never update.

(I've asked R*, just waiting for a reply from them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Why does everyone assume they were trying to make some point and failed? Rockstar loves violence. Manhunt was a murder simulator and the torture scene was basically a throwback to that. It was brutal, dark, and fun. If you don't like it that's alright but you're deceiving yourself if you think they were doing anything more than building Trevor's personality and giving you something hosed up to do.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

On the phone checklist it says 2/16 Miscellaneous completed, but the social website shows which 12 I've actually completed.

Yeah, they don't all count for some arbitrary reason. There's 30 of them, but only a specific 16 count so you've only done 2 of those 16.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, they don't all count for some arbitrary reason. There's 30 of them, but only a specific 16 count so you've only done 2 of those 16.

It's not that either. Unless 10 Strangers & Freaks missions I've also done are specifically ones that don't count even if they're repayable and give you medals.

Same with Misc activities, and Hobbies and Past Times.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

It's not that either. Unless 10 Strangers & Freaks missions I've also done are specifically ones that don't count either even if they're repayable and give you medals.

Yeah, they don't all count either. There's 58 of those and only a specific 20 count towards 100%. The only thing where all of them count (other than the main plot missions) is random events, and even then they stop counting after the first 14.

e; You can tell which ones do and which ones don't on the social club checklist page by looking for the coloured bar on the lefthand side of each image. For example, Michael and Trevor's exercise missions don't count towards 100% but Franklin's does because, uh, why not.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think it's cool that they made one of the main characters homosexual/bisexual without making his sexuality the defining part of him.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

causticBeet posted:

I think it's cool that they made one of the main characters homosexual/bisexual without making his sexuality the defining part of him.

I really love his self confidence. He's very aware of who he is and he doesn't show any shame. He's a viciously determined zen master from hell.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

causticBeet posted:

He's a straight dude who fucks men prison rape style. Hardly what I'd call a progressive depiction of homosexuality.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, they don't all count either. There's 58 of those and only a specific 20 count towards 100%. The only thing where all of them count (other than the main plot missions) is random events, and even then they stop counting after the first 14.

e; You can tell which ones do and which ones don't on the social club checklist page by looking for the coloured bar on the lefthand side of each image. For example, Michael and Trevor's exercise missions don't count towards 100% but Franklin's does because, uh, why not.

Okay thanks. I'll try doing some of the colored bar ones and seeing if it starts updating.

(Man that's crazy that the 10 other S&F ones I picked at random were ones that didn't count, especially when the last 5 were ones I did just to see if I could get the thing to update).

Edit: I think I figured out why only certain missions count too. Looks like the only ones that count are Franklin missions. Guess they didn't want to screw people out of 100% completion depending on which ending they picked. Guess it wasn't so crazy after all.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 26, 2013

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Knuc If U Buck posted:

He's a straight dude who fucks men prison rape style. Hardly what I'd call a progressive depiction of homosexuality.

I think there are enough comments he makes and in enough different contexts that it's pretty clearly more than just a dominance thing. There's some stuff after the credits too with him that makes it pretty clear.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, Rampage 5: Neutralize 20 Killer Hipsters :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

causticBeet posted:

They weren't aiming at making Trevor bisexual or homosexual, they were making him sexually violent and depraved. It's not that he's comfortable having sex with men and women, purely that he'll have sex with anything, and it implies that he's not above raping Floyd. I'm pretty sure there are lines of his where he straight up claims that he's not gay too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I agree the insane rapist is a p. progressive portrayal of the gay population, we don't have enough exposure as violent, mentally ill, rapists in media.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Aurain posted:

They weren't aiming at making Trevor bisexual or homosexual, they were making him sexually violent and depraved. It's not that he's comfortable having sex with men and women, purely that he'll have sex with anything, and it implies that he's not above raping Floyd. I'm pretty sure there are lines of his where he straight up claims that he's not gay too.

Were there lines? I may have missed them. I was assuming he was bisexual because - later mission character dialogue spoilers and post end scene there was the part where he came on to Lamar in the truck and that didn't seem to be in a "dominance," sort of way. Also after the ending when his mother returns she notes having always assumed he was gay. .

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I agree the insane rapist is a p. progressive portrayal of the gay population, we don't have enough exposure as violent, mentally ill, rapists in media.

Where did I say it was a portrayal of the gay population? I just thought it was cool they made a queer character that didn't have his whole schtick be that he was a token gay character.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

There's a set of body armor on the second floor porch of Chef's cook lab, just fyi. Pretty close to Trevor's trailer.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

causticBeet posted:

Where did I say it was a portrayal of the gay population? I just thought it was cool they made a queer character that didn't have his whole schtick be that he was a token gay character.

It's really cool that the insane rapist doesn't act like a stereotypical flamboyant gay. I'd be pretty offended if it was Florian from GTA 4 going around forcing himself on other men.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Photography is prohibited my rear end. :smug:

My car turns over, but doesn't move. What's wrong with it? :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

causticBeet posted:

Were there lines? I may have missed them. I was assuming he was bisexual because - later mission character dialogue spoilers and post end scene there was the part where he came on to Lamar in the truck and that didn't seem to be in a "dominance," sort of way. Also after the ending when his mother returns she notes having always assumed he was gay. .

He's a legit mentally ill person who constantly threatens to mouth rape people he doesn't like. He's not a 'queer' character. That's like saying you think it's cool the squeal like a pig dude from Deliverance wasn't such a flamer.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Cow kicking trip report:
Kicking cows seems like a significantly better way to raise strength than golf. Debatable whether it's better than tennis. Cows are very afraid of the vicious boot-based beatings you lay upon their cow comrades, so you spend plenty of time chasing them around which makes it a half decent way to increase stamina. Tasering fleeing cows is helpful, but it does a fair bit of damage, reducing your kicks per cow ratio. Continuing to kick dead cows has no effect aside from greatly reducing the morale of nearby, temporarily living cows. Other than one passerby's proclamation of "gently caress dat poo poo", nobody cared and no cops were called.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 26, 2013

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He's a legit mentally ill person who constantly threatens to mouth rape people he doesn't like. He's not a 'queer' character. That's like saying you think it's cool the squeal like a pig dude from Deliverance wasn't such a flamer.

That's not what I was trying to get across at all, but it's clear I must have misread/glossed over some dialogue. I thought, aside from being insane/violent, he was expressing a genuine interest in men in some scenarios, but if I'm the only one reading that it's probably not there. I did power through the last few hours of the game so a bit of it is a blur.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
Lets see if I can get a definitive answer on the new thread.

If I store a vehicle in a garage, an actual garage, and I take it out on a mission, abandon it or it blows up or whatever will it respawn in the garage or will it be gone forever?

edit: I just parked a car as Franklin and got out just and for some reason I got a wanted rating and a cop instantly killed me. What?

FallinInTheBlak fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 26, 2013

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

FallinInTheBlak posted:

If I store a vehicle in a garage, an actual garage, and I take it out on a mission, abandon it or it blows up or whatever will it respawn in the garage or will it be gone forever?

It's supposed to return (and it often will) but it is bugged and sometimes will not. Rockstar has said they're aware of the problem and are presumably going to try to patch it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I don't believe there is a definitive answer for this right now, which is why R* say don't use garages at all. They're not behaving as intended so no one can say for certain whether your car will or won't be there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

They should have got the writers of Spec OPs: the Line (really underrated indie game that serves as a criticism of military shooters) to do the torture scene. I feel they could have gotten some really positive introspection out of the scene and bought some maturity to GTA V.

Hahahahah.

Just finished the game earlier today, I really enjoyed the story, and especially enjoyed the characters, but man, the Housers and co. really not that good at writing these long-form, sprawling crime epics. They seriously need a better editor standing over their collective shoulders.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

Hahahahah.

Just finished the game earlier today, I really enjoyed the story, and especially enjoyed the characters, but man, the Housers and co. really not that good at writing these long-form, sprawling crime epics. They seriously need a better editor standing over their collective shoulders.

There are several villains in the game for the sake of giving each character a central antagonist that ultimately contributes nothing to the plot, namely Stretch and Cheng. The game could really lose those two and be barely any worse off for it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, gently caress the Ruiner. It handles like poo poo. I fully modded that thing and took it out in a race and I lost like 3 times in a row because I kept spinning out over stupid mistakes that any other car could recover from like a champ <:mad:>

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
How do I flip people off when I am driving or riding a bike?

I've tried button combinations but nothing really seems to work. Is it only a Trevor thing, or can it be done with anyone?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aurain posted:

There are several villains in the game for the sake of giving each character a central antagonist that ultimately contributes nothing to the plot, namely Stretch and Cheng. The game could really lose those two and be barely any worse off for it.

I liked Stretch, and thought the Triad were a nice show of escalation, but it's really clear that they had no idea how to handle those plot points and threads over the entire course of the game. Enemies and characters are just dropped and picked up at will and it's really incoherent.

It kind of feels like a Shane Black film, but without the experience and craftsmanship that makes those movies work so flawlessly. Good, but really, really uneven.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 26, 2013

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

How do I flip people off when I am driving or riding a bike?

I've tried button combinations but nothing really seems to work. Is it only a Trevor thing, or can it be done with anyone?

Try and do a drive-by while unarmed.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

We need a GTA V photo thread I think.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

There's one on the steps of a brownstone near the roundabout. Much easier to get. I marked it and never moved my map marker so I wouldn't forget.

It's one of those two dots. I think. I dunno. Haven't played it since TLatD came out. gently caress, that DLC was depressing. v:geno:v

Man, those Nigel missions are something else. :stare:

Thanks man.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Knuc If U Buck posted:

They should have got the writers of Spec OPs: the Line (really underrated indie game that serves as a criticism of military shooters) to do the torture scene. I feel they could have gotten some really positive introspection out of the scene and bought some maturity to GTA V.
A final scene between Michael and Trevor themed like Walker and Konrad would have been pretty special.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Aurain posted:

Final mission spoilers/late game spoilers
I thought this really cheapened the end of the game. Out of nowhere it's like "oh super rich guy is sending an army to kill my family because I ruined his insurance fraud? What? And then for some reason he is the final guy you kill and send off in to the sunset? I was super pumped to get to kill Haines,the FIB guy, but it was really anticlimactic how you just sorta shoot him then move on to killing the other pointless characters you mentioned.

Overall the game really struggled at finding a solid antagonist, which is a shame, because they had an amazing one started with the whole FIB thing, but they dragged it out way too loving long in the middle of the game. The characters were really easy to dislike and the whole Brad/Trevor thing was interesting.

They could have done some cool stuff with Dave using the truth about Brad to manipulate Michael to get the crew to work for him, but they wrote it in such a way that there was no mystery to it, the whole crew knew about the FBI connect and they all just begrudgingly go along with it.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 26, 2013

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
I just bumped into Michael while playing as Franklin. I didn't know that was even a thing?!

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
I just transitioned to Michael and he was riding the Ferris wheel.

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Hahahahah.

I get the feeling that the story suffered greatly from "drat, we gotta go through so many cool shits we managed to drop onto this world, gently caress logical progression of plot!". There were so many instances for me where the segway into the next story progressing mission just felt so jury rigged, only to be relieved somewhat by the set-pieces they put forth. Missions like the whole series of FIB missions, carjacking for Devin, the whole botched merryweather's weapon jacking with a sub, missions with Madrozo popping in and out and ending just as abruptly, etc etc.

Hell, the whole reason why the Michael gets back into the game and gets dragged through poo poo is because he wanted to get back at his wife's tennis coach for fuckin his wife, and that's pretty much THE catalyst of the game's entire plot. At that point it was kinda hard not to look back at the previous GTA games and say to myself "plot isn't why I'm playing this game for, is it?"

I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm still not keeping my hopes up with the remainder of the game's plot. It still manages to be fun as hell though, mainly through the characters and the action set pieces. gently caress this "suck it up and take it in the rear end by the mission giver" bullshit though.

Kringy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 26, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The plot is an excuse to do wacky missions which is better than the ham fisted bullass that every single video game developer os crapping out these days.

Remember GTA 4? Lmao.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So like, my total Special meter keeps on dropping. I'm constantly having to bring Franklin's back up to 100.
Does it drain if you die or use another character for a while or something?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

causticBeet posted:

That's not what I was trying to get across at all, but it's clear I must have misread/glossed over some dialogue. I thought, aside from being insane/violent, he was expressing a genuine interest in men in some scenarios, but if I'm the only one reading that it's probably not there. I did power through the last few hours of the game so a bit of it is a blur.

I think he definitely shows interest in men, but I got the feeling that he was more of a sociopathic omnisexual hedonist than just bisexual. Man (Floyd), Woman (Ashley), or Object (Mr. Raspberry Jam/Meth) he only wants to make himself feel good. Nothing else really matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Croccers posted:

So like, my total Special meter keeps on dropping. I'm constantly having to bring Franklin's back up to 100.
Does it drain if you die or use another character for a while or something?

Okay I still have yet to crack this nut. But I think that when you switch your previous character's skills degrade over time. But the problem is that I've noticed some skills degrading and others not. I had special going down on Franklin, but somehow flying remains at its maxed out state. Michael driving skill stays constant whereas shooting goes down at times. Maybe it takes a longer amount of time? But sometimes it seems like it doesn't. It's very strange.

• Locked thread