Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Over half of the first round of Ascension Tournament games have been completed in a little over a week, and we're still waiting on results from Verno5x vs zerodotjander, Beelzebozo vs moocowlian, FFSabin vs thegreatcodfish and Quickpull vs Simple9.

I'll give you guys a couple more days to sort it out, but if the games haven't been finished by Midnight Wednesday PST (GMT -8) and I haven't heard from you here or in the groupme then I'll award a loss to the person that's holding it up for this round. You'll still be in the tournament, and there are enough rounds for you to catch up.

I've updated the rules on the tournament page to say rounds need to be completed within a week. This means the next round will start for all intents and purposes on Thursday, and will go through to the next Thursday in the worst case scenario.

Kelthorn fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Are there any other board game apps that let you play local games with Bluetooth like the Ticket to Ride apps? I have some long plane rides ahead, and it would be nice to have something else to play with the girlfriend. Hot seat games might work, but not having to pass a device back and forth makes things so much easier.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Orvin posted:

Are there any other board game apps that let you play local games with Bluetooth like the Ticket to Ride apps? I have some long plane rides ahead, and it would be nice to have something else to play with the girlfriend. Hot seat games might work, but not having to pass a device back and forth makes things so much easier.

Small World (from the same company as Ticket to Ride) has this feature as well. I can't think of any others.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Carcassonne also does. You can actually mix local and pass-and-play seamlessly, if you have say, three players and two devices.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

cbirdsong posted:

Carcassonne also does. You can actually mix local and pass-and-play seamlessly, if you have say, three players and two devices.

Oh, holy poo poo, does it? I've somehow never noticed that. Thanks for posting this. And while we're at it, thanks for routinely obliterating my loving socks at the game. I look at our head-to-head series as cashing in chunks of Elo in exchange for exciting new strats to reproduce against others. You're a god damned demon at that game. (I'm Fire Sauce on GameCenter)

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Another classic Games Workshop title, a solo game called Chainsaw Warrior dropped onto the App Store today.

http://appshopper.com/games/chainsaw-warrior

Just bought it, got my butt handed to me on Easy. Pretty fun so far, but not too much strategy to it. Draw cards, chuck dice for combat, murder zombies and other nasty things, and try to save the world in just 60 minutes.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

God daaaaaaaaaaaamn iiiiit! :mad:

Birdsong just edged me out 185 to 183 in Carc. I just can. not. beat. that mother fucker. :gonk:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Puerto Rico and San Juan are 99 cents for a limited time anyone know about the curse of the assassin games by tin man games?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkie Disease posted:

Puerto Rico and San Juan are 99 cents for a limited time anyone know about the curse of the assassin games by tin man games?

I can't find Puerto Rico in the App Store. :confuoot: Is it by the same publisher as San Juan?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

The Orange Mage posted:

I can't find Puerto Rico in the App Store. :confuoot: Is it by the same publisher as San Juan?

It's iPad only, I think, so if you're searching for it on an iPhone, that's why.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Damnit

pinacotheca posted:

It's iPad only, I think, so if you're searching for it on an iPhone, that's why.

Damnit, they managed to cram Le Havre on this thing, there's little excuse for screwing us smaller-screened folk! :argh:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So the iOS version of Pandemic will apparently be local multiplayer only, which sucks. Apparently there's a Pandemic clone which features asynch multiplayer but clones just make me feel icky.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Good games Spincut! I got way, WAY too lucky that second game.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

GonSmithe posted:

Good games Spincut! I got way, WAY too lucky that second game.

Yeah drat, I got rocked that second game. Thought I was doing so well too.

As I play more tournament games, I'm liking Soul Gems less and less. It adds another layer of randomness onto a game that already has a fair amount of it. If the power level was more level, I would be okay with it, but you're just as likely to pull out a Mechana Adept as a Master Dhartha (which can wreck games) or Landtalker. What do you all think?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Spincut posted:

Yeah drat, I got rocked that second game. Thought I was doing so well too.

As I play more tournament games, I'm liking Soul Gems less and less. It adds another layer of randomness onto a game that already has a fair amount of it. If the power level was more level, I would be okay with it, but you're just as likely to pull out a Mechana Adept as a Master Dhartha (which can wreck games) or Landtalker. What do you all think?

It also helps I've played over 200+ games of both physical and digital SoS/IH.

As for Soul Gems, I think they're great if you're only playing SoS/IH. There are a bunch of cards from the first two sets that I wish I could add to those two, like Wolf Shaman, and having at least a small version of them is nice. However, throwing in poo poo like Mecha Initiate is just awful. I feel like they should have put some monsters in the Soul Gems as well, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Orange Mage posted:

Speaking tangentially about San Juan... I would really, really like somebody to make an iOS Race for the Galaxy. My gaming group has a person who always straight-up refuses to every play RftG, unilaterally from now into perpetuity, because she doesn't want to learn the pictographs, so I haven't played like my second favorite game in probably a year :negative:

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 26, 2013

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The Ghost Stories app for iPad is free right now.
http://appshopper.com/link/ghost-stories-the-boardgame

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Beelzebozo posted:

Never commit to a big city against Bummey. His whole Carc play style revolves around salting the earth and limping across the finish line.

Can't argue with results v:shobon:v

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

FFSabin, I sent you an Ascension invite. I'm ready to play our next round games whenever you are.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Whats the best way to find out someone's ascension name if it's not in the spreadsheet or the same as their challonge one?

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

The best place is to go to the GroupMe room, there's always people there who can answer problems. If you're after your tournament partner, Simple9 is forums user Shifood, but I'm not aware of their playdek username and the games timed out in the first round. Your Challonge username should be set to your playdek account name, by the way.

So, just posting a reminder that round 2 will finish Wednesday midnight, and to please get your games done by them or risk losing that round. Thanks to everyone who's been chasing up already.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Kelthorn posted:

The best place is to go to the GroupMe room

If you have been a member of the channel previously, but were booted to make room for active people, go here https://web.groupme.com/former_groups and rejoin the channel. There is a 50 user limit and I kick inactive people fairly regularly because someone is always saying they can't join.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 30, 2013

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Durty, I sent you a challenge on ascension. PM me when would be a good time to play.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

FFSabin, I am still waiting for you to accept my invite :(

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Verno5x, what is your Ascension Username? Mine is Bullbar, let's hit it

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Just a reminder that the 2nd round will finish in a few hours. Please get your games done by then if possible. If we haven't heard from you then you'll be marked down as another loss. In future I'll remove people from the tourney who haven't played in multiple rounds, otherwise this'll take forever to wait for the timeouts.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Round 3 is up. Loses were awarded to people who didn't accept invites, with remaining timer left being the decider if you were unfinished.

Just a heads up that if after round 3 you've got 3 automatic losses against your name then I'll assume that you're out for the rest of the tourney. Sorry!

durty
Jan 28, 2009

Lt_Tofu posted:

Durty, I sent you a challenge on ascension. PM me when would be a good time to play.

Sorry dude. I have been sick and didn't check thread. I told kelthorn to award you the win

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I've been traveling on business a lot lately and I didn't really have the time to play my match against Onipanda, and that's likely to continue for the rest of the month. I got a default win against Verno first round so it's probably best I just drop out - sorry guys!

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

ZerodotJander posted:

I've been traveling on business a lot lately and I didn't really have the time to play my match against Onipanda, and that's likely to continue for the rest of the month. I got a default win against Verno first round so it's probably best I just drop out - sorry guys!

I guess it's my lucky day :smith:

Quickpull fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 3, 2013

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

If Yakoffe frequents this thread, I'm not sure what your Playdek name is, but mine is Spincut, so add me and let's do some gamin'!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone purchase pandemic yet?

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Pandemic is only local multiplayer only right?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spincut posted:

If Yakoffe frequents this thread, I'm not sure what your Playdek name is, but mine is Spincut, so add me and let's do some gamin'!

I am on as GodBacon. Will be available in about 30 minutes.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Lt_Tofu posted:

I am on as GodBacon. Will be available in about 30 minutes.

Good games!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Quickpull posted:

Pandemic is only local multiplayer only right?
Correct.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I just got Ascension, and stayed up till 5am last night playing it :shobon:

Any tips for a guy starting out on how to control a game or how to pick a strategy that you can use through a whole round (or if that's even a good idea?) I seem to be doing alright, but it feels like I'm just sort of taking what I can get and getting lucky instead of having a plan and executing it well. Does that make sense?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

nrr posted:

I just got Ascension, and stayed up till 5am last night playing it :shobon:

Any tips for a guy starting out on how to control a game or how to pick a strategy that you can use through a whole round (or if that's even a good idea?) I seem to be doing alright, but it feels like I'm just sort of taking what I can get and getting lucky instead of having a plan and executing it well. Does that make sense?

Keep your deck thinned out of starter cards.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Read the "getting better" articles on gamehead.com for Ascension strategies. Some of the stuff there has shown me some good ways to look at what cards are out there and think about what it means for both sides of the game. It's not always about going for one type of card. Sometimes blocking a high value one or lining up a real monster slayer deck can be rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Good games moocowlian. Can't believe I let the timer lapse on that second one.

• Locked thread