Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Donated $10 a few days ago thanks to the kickstarter thread, and just noticed this. Wow :stare:

Bring on the stretch goals! LED sign with :getin: when open and :frogout: when closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know Rhett and Link? Sounds like another I love local commercials thing. :)

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

Deteriorata posted:

I just hope he can actually make a go of it now. It would be a shame to see his dream wither and die due to insufficient traffic. I guess there's enough business to be done that Subway thought it was worth putting a franchise there, so maybe Wayne can, too.

Ok you heard him we have to burn down the subway now.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Mozi posted:

Well, that's heartwarming. Now the trick is to not go overboard and take things to a ridiculous extreme.

Two weeks later in the Pickens County Herald: "Local man spends $1,000,050 crowdfunding cash on hookers and blow - ex-wife seeking buyer for $6,000 in hot dogs, kids"

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

Verdugo posted:

Anyone know Rhett and Link? Sounds like another I love local commercials thing. :)

This would be so awesome, do they still do their TV show?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Threw in $25 earlier today.

Just checked and it's now in the top 5 on kicktraq, so hopefully it'll get a nice boost for the next week. Or at least a bunch of confused kicktraq users.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I sent in 250 because how many chances in life will I get to be a Hotdog Philanthropist.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Wow so it's already above his goal. I don't know poo poo about kickstarter, he gets to keep ALL of it right? Even if it goes over?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

We've got the needed 6,000 in but we still got six days. I bet we could break 10,000 or even double that 6,000 :getin:

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Kickstarter gets a 5% fee or something, but other than that, he keeps all of it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

DragonReach posted:

yeah I held off donating until it would put him over, $500 to help a guy starting out and do a bit of good for him and his town seems cheap.

I hope he makes it for long drat time.

That's really great of you. Thanks for keeping the dream alive!

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
Dropped my :10bux: on the dogs.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Goobish posted:

Wow so it's already above his goal. I don't know poo poo about kickstarter, he gets to keep ALL of it right? Even if it goes over?

Yep he gets to keep it all, including any amounts over the target. There are some fees kickstarter charge and fees amazon charge to process the payments though.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Goobish posted:

Yes, minus the percentages from Amazon and Kickstarter. Ideally he needs to be about 10-12% over to get the actual amount of 6k. Some others have mentioned taxes, but that is really only going to be an issue if is income level is high enough. Odds are in that part of the state he probably doesn't hit the minimum level to pay income tax.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Goobish posted:

Amazon takes 5%, and Kickstarter takes some, but he keeps everything that is left after that. so if we get up to 7000, he gets 6300 (assuming that Kickstarter takes 5%)

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Well I'm down for doing a good deed once I get paid! Awesome to see someone's dreams come true. I don't even eat meat anymore, but gently caress it. I'd be willing to get the shits and taste sweet sweet glory.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It's worth mentioning that in a town this size (population 1700?), $6000 infused like this goes a long way. He'll see most of it come back in as the contractors he pays to help put the place together will probably be eating lunch there :)

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I think it might indeed be a good idea for someone to start organizing the goons who are willing to handle marketing material and his website. We could roll out a website in very short notice. While I'd suggest a simple Html/JavaScript page he could host anywhere, if someone could chip in Windows server hosting I could build an MVC project with CMS and such so he could customize his pages as he'd like.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deteriorata posted:

I just hope he can actually make a go of it now. It would be a shame to see his dream wither and die due to insufficient traffic. I guess there's enough business to be done that Subway thought it was worth putting a franchise there, so maybe Wayne can, too.

I think it could do better, actually, His dogs look like they'd be a cheaper than that overpriced stuff Subway sells (don't get me wrong, I love the stuff, but dang do they charge you).

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Looks like Fluffy Bunnies got the publicity train started. Awesome!

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

CommissarMega posted:

I think it could do better, actually, His dogs look like they'd be a cheaper than that overpriced stuff Subway sells (don't get me wrong, I love the stuff, but dang do they charge you).

I hope he goes with the 100% Alabama tagline. I love it, I'd definitely rather go to a place like that than a subway.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
He has some upgrades in mind he'd like to do if he gets more than his target amount as well, things like outside tables with umbrellas or a dishwasher. Also saw he's thinking customer traffic will be less of an issue becuase he's next door to a "popular antique store" called the Mud Hole.

I googled "The Mud Hole, Alabama" sans quotes and learned something new.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'm willing to help host. I get about 75GB/mo I don't use. It's not much especially if he gets goonrushed but it would work on a day-to-day basis.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I'll give him :10bux: for his dog dream

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What the hell, Doobie? No stretch goals? No Linux/Mac hot dogs at 10k? What is this world coming to?

Polybious
Aug 13, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It would actually be better to wait and see how this pans out for the Kickstarter and not have people diving all over him with half assed help.

If the Kickstarter works, that's good. The guys just a normal dude. He doesn't need nerds with half assed hosting or a basic idea of cameras or graphic design all up his poo poo.

Polybious fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 26, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, he said getting open is probably going to take until at least mid-December.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Woke up to see we made it! Go team frogout :woop:

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Atoramos posted:

I think it might indeed be a good idea for someone to start organizing the goons who are willing to handle marketing material and his website. We could roll out a website in very short notice. While I'd suggest a simple Html/JavaScript page he could host anywhere, if someone could chip in Windows server hosting I could build an MVC project with CMS and such so he could customize his pages as he'd like.

If y'all do this make sure he has all the registrar and account information for his domain and hosting and knows to keep it somewhere safe. Or better yet just donate more and suggest that he pay a local someone's fledgling computer nerd to build the site. We're trying to help him and his community here, not make them dependent on goon generosity. (Which is awesome, BTW)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Novo posted:

If y'all do this make sure he has all the registrar and account information for his domain and hosting and knows to keep it somewhere safe. Or better yet just donate more and tell him to pay a local someone's fledgling computer nerd to build the site. We're trying to help him and his community here, not make them dependent on goon generosity.

And as was pointed out before, this is Wayne's dream, not ours. He needs to stay in charge of it. Any help needs to be be per his request, and to his specs.

The enthusiasm here is great, but let's not suffocate him.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Novo posted:

Or better yet just donate more and tell him to pay a local someone's fledgling computer nerd to build the site. We're trying to help him and his community here, not make them dependent on goon generosity.

The goals he imagines reaching are things like 'a new dishwasher' and 'outside tables'. If he's going to get media attention in the short-term, he could probably use a website, and getting one done for free should help make any extra money he gets go a little bit further.

Deteriorata posted:

And as was pointed out before, this is Wayne's dream, not ours. He needs to stay in charge of it. Any help needs to be be per his request, and to his specs.

This is true, which is why I'm messaging SoundMonkey on the issue. If it's something Wayne wants, then it's something I'd be happy to provide, but our go-between should figure out what Wayne wants.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
Threw in $25 for Team Frogout. Cook them dawgs!

Polybious
Aug 13, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Atoramos posted:

The goals he imagines reaching are things like 'a new dishwasher' and 'outside tables'. If he's going to get media attention in the short-term, he could probably use a website, and getting one done for free should help make any extra money he gets go a little bit further.

No, just cool your jets and people in talks with him can say ye/nay as to what is needed

Stop living thru this dude and let him live

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I vote someone helps him set up a nice FB page to direct people to and then once he gets a real site up and running he can tell people about it on the FB page.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6DXO-SHow

Maybe this guy wants to play at the grand opening.

http://www.reverbnation.com/doobiedoghousewilson posted:

By day Doobie is a mild-mannered engineering professor at The University of Alabama (Roll Tide, y'all) but at night he becomes a seasoned blues player, "entertaining" his family from the studio, playing an open mic, or (kind of rarely) playing a gig at some smokey, low-down juke joint. He desperately would like to play for you. Throw in a few bills and some free drinks and he will play this crap all night (see 'Too Wet for Comfort').
He plays his own original songs, sweet ballads like James Taylor, solo blues like Keb Mo, and with the help of a "looper" he can sound like Guns and Roses doing "Sweet Child of Mine".

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Atoramos posted:

A website really isn't necessary, we aren't talking about a city of 20,000-100,000 people here. I grew up in a town almost exactly the same size as Reform, AL. Provided that the city itself doesn't collapse and die until it's only 500 people, people will go to Doobie's Dog House and eat the dogs there just because it'll be one of several options in town to eat. Word of mouth is all it'll take, and if his location is anywhere near convenient/on Main Street, he's going to be rolling in dough pretty quickly. All he needs is variety in his dogs, regular customers, and a comfortable pile of money to sit on until business picks up to full, regular speed.

I dunno what the laws are like where he lives, but his next best bet is probably to sell beer along with the dogs. The most popular pizza and burger places where I live currently are the places that have bottles stashed in a fridge in the kitchen, nothing special. If he had bottles of Bud, Coors, and Miller in a fridge in the kitchen that he could sell as drinks for the meal, he would be the #1 place to eat in summer time, guaranteed. Same with a soft serve ice cream machine.

God there's so many ways this guy could expand his business with a bit more cash, and it'd be the kind of investment that cause locals to flip flop on their favorite place to eat. It happened where I lived, and people started driving to the southernmost side of town just to eat homemade subs. This guy could do it too :allears:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Machai posted:

I vote someone helps him set up a nice FB page to direct people to and then once he gets a real site up and running he can tell people about it on the FB page.

I don't think he needs a full-fledged site. A Facebook page is probably more than adequate for his area. I live near Manhattan, and some local businesses only have Facebook and Twitter accounts without their own sites.

In the long run, Facebook will be easier for him to maintain, and everyone already knows how to use it. He's one guy in a small town, not a franchise in a city. He has a new business to run. He doesn't need more work.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

A website really isn't necessary, we aren't talking about a city of 20,000-100,000 people here. I grew up in a town almost exactly the same size as Reform, AL. Provided that the city itself doesn't collapse and die until it's only 500 people, people will go to Doobie's Dog House and eat the dogs there just because it'll be one of several options in town to eat. Word of mouth is all it'll take, and if his location is anywhere near convenient/on Main Street, he's going to be rolling in dough pretty quickly. All he needs is variety in his dogs, regular customers, and a comfortable pile of money to sit on until business picks up to full, regular speed.
I'd argue that a facebook page for a small town business is more important than a website these days.

Polybious
Aug 13, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

death .cab for qt posted:

I dunno what the laws are like where he lives, but his next best bet is probably to sell beer along with the dogs. The most popular pizza and burger places where I live currently are the places that have bottles stashed in a fridge in the kitchen, nothing special. If he had bottles of Bud, Coors, and Miller in a fridge in the kitchen that he could sell as drinks for the meal, he would be the #1 place to eat in summer time, guaranteed. Same with a soft serve ice cream machine.

God there's so many ways this guy could expand his business with a bit more cash, and it'd be the kind of investment that cause locals to flip flop on their favorite place to eat. It happened where I lived, and people started driving to the southernmost side of town just to eat homemade subs. This guy could do it too :allears:

All in good time. He is still at negative days til reality remember.

Facebook and Twitter are far more important now than a website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

contrapants posted:

I don't think he needs a full-fledged site. A Facebook page is probably more than adequate for his area. I live near Manhattan, and some local businesses only have Facebook and Twitter accounts without their own sites.

In the long run, Facebook will be easier for him to maintain, and everyone already knows how to use it. He's one guy in a small town, not a franchise in a city. He has a new business to run. He doesn't need more work.

Yeah, pretty much this. Websites are only good to the culture that actively use websites for their restaurants. A website is pretty useless to a hot dog stand, because the usual features of a website for a restaurant don't apply. Reservations? Nope. Menu? Hot dogs. Order Online? They're already made, just come get the dogs. The best he'll get out of it is a place to list the restaurant's name, address, phone number, and a barebones menu so people can get an idea of what he has. Maybe some pictures of the dogs, too. Facebook can do all of that and more, with the option of letting people "Like" his business.

Although somebody should probably tell him to make a Business page for his restaurant, because right now it's actually a person on Facebook. You can't "Like" his restaurant, you can only add it as a friend. :3:

• Locked thread